Completely new to Silversea

NicoleAbbate

Over the past couple years I have always looked at the itineraries of this line and loved what they offered in the Mediterranean. Unfortunately we have never been able to get there yet. This year an itinerary on the silver spirit caught my eye out of Ft lauderdale on Dec 13th. 10 nights and gets back so I can enjoy the holidays with my family.

We keep going back to the Caribbean but we also tend to travel in the winter months.

I have really been reading the threads to get familiar and it seems like this line will be perfect. Just waiting on some pricing from TA. Most recently we were on the Oceania riviera which we loved. They had an amazing spa, which is something important as my DH gets a spa treatment every day. And they have a great fitness center. Something we use every day as well. Spirit seems like it will meet those needs

I did feel that our concierge level room was a tad small on the riviera, but bathroom was a great size tub and shower. It seems like the spirits standard rooms are more spacious which will be nice.

So I just wanted to introduce myself to this board because I hope to be more active on here in the next few months.

Welcome to the Silversea boards!

Our travel experiences sound very similar; we started in the Caribbean on larger ships (though a few years before you) and gradually moved to smaller ships, higher-end cruise lines, and more global destinations. Oceania and Silversea are our favorites. Each line has its passionate supporters on this board, and each offers a great product. A word of warning, though - once you start with these lines, you will have a terrible time going back to a mass-market cruise.

I do hope that you get to the Mediterranean soon - there are so many beautiful ports to see, and the area is wonderful for cruising. Hopefully, your first Silversea experience will convince you to try one of their itineraries in that region. Once we started in the Med, there was no turning back, and we have not been back to the Caribbean in over 10 years. Too many other fascinating places to see, and not enough time!

Also echo JP's warm welcome, believe you will love Silversea and attentive (almost intuitive) service you will experience on board.

We have been on board the Spirit for three crossings since 2010 and board the Spirit again this November for another delightful fall crossing. We board the Silver Cloud on Wednesday in London heading to Iceland and back. The Spirit's included unisex spa is small but the adjacent 8300 sq ft pay as you go spa will provide you almost any spa treatment you desire. Nicole, also the gym (aerobic equipment, if I recall 3 treadmills, 4 elliptical's, two stationary bicycle's, lifefitness machines, free weights) is reasonably equipped, but the room for indoor fitness classes is small--often when guest size exceeds 5 folks, there is a very nice sized Gym outdoor veranda where classes (e.g pilates) will be held. The fitness instructors that we have experienced on the Spirit have been excellent. We enjoyed indoor spin classes & yoga classes on board the Spirit this April led by the best fitness instructor at sea we have experienced. Nice links describing the fitness center here:

http://cruises.about.com/od/silverseasilverspirit/ss/silver_spirit_3.htm

http://cruises.about.com/od/silverseasilverspirit/ig/Silver-Spirit-Interiors/Silver-Spirit-Fitness-Center.htm

As others have noted, welcome!! and agree that you will find lots to love on the Silversea ships. Great food, staff! Nice size and very "personal" experience. The Butler offering can be a wonderful plus. If you want to see more about the food, options, class, etc., on these ships, check out my live/blog connected below.

THANKS! Enjoy your adventure and trip! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 112,367 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I would also like to extend a warm welcome to you Nicole and hope you enjoy the Silversea forum.

In addition to TLCOhio's amazing live trip report through Norway, you might also enjoy two recent live reports aboard the Silver Spirit and aboard the Silver Cloud.

As you familiarize yourself with Silversea, let us know how we may be of assistance to you. As you can probably tell, we're all pretty passionate about Silversea.

In addition to TLCOhio's amazing live trip report through Norway, you might also enjoy two recent live reports aboard the Silver Spirit and aboard the Silver Cloud.

Appreciate the very kind comments from our Colorado friend, plus your very good posts and links. All great sharing and very helpful to future travelers.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 112,367 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

wripro: I was wondering the same thing:-)

Another welcome from someone who has sailed both the Spirit and the Riviera (and are Regent loyalists -- go figure:D).

We find the service on Silversea to be wonderful. The ship is "okay" -- nothing can really compare to the Riviera (IMHO). Although food is subjective, we find breakfast, lunch and dinner in La Terazza (Spirit) dramatically better than the same meals in Terrace Grill on the Riviera. Meals in the main dining room on both ships are about the same -- some good dishes -- some not so good. However, the specialty restaurants on the Riviera are unmatched -- best food we have tasted at sea.

If you have the opportunity to sail on the Whisper, go for it. With the exception of the Riviera, it is our favorite ship -- better than any of the Regent ships (and much better than the Spirit).

Silversea loyalists - please don't flame me -- these are just my opinions. We enjoy Silversea and will be onboard the Shadow in less than two months:-)

Coming up: 09/13 - Vancouver-Tokyo-Silver Shadow / 11/13 – Barcelona-Rio- Mariner / 02/14 – Singapore-Hong Kong-Voyager / 11/14 -Dubai to Cape Town-Voyager / 2016 - Regent Seven Seas Explorer

Total nights: Regent = 205 / Silversea = 25 / Oceania = 12

Sailings per ship: Voyager (8), Mariner (3), Navigator (3), PG (1), Silver Spirit (1), Silver Whisper (1), Oceania Riviera (1)

Itineraries: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Tahiti / Venice-Rome

I suppose I could check the SS website but I'm curious as to how a 10 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale goes to the Med. It can't be a crossing because it's the wrong direction.

Henry, NicoleAbbate only use Mediterranean by saying she considered a Med cruise on SS but it didn't work out. She never said this one was a Med. cruise.

Keith

NicoleAbbate, congratulations on booking this cruise. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Cruising is so nice and it's great on sailing on a range of cruise lines.

You can learn a lot from this board.

One word of caution and I say this in a funny manner with some seriousness to it. Don't ask about attire for the evening because that will cause a storm of posts with no consensus. But do ask questions and take advantage of what has been posted.

Cheers.

Keith

Travelcat 2, that's OK, I don't like the Spirit either.

Neither do I Duct Tape but it's better than no cruise at all....;)

Did the inaugural crossing -- said I would not sail on Spirit again - yet I'm booked Caribbean in November.

Never say never --

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I have been reading the links that were posted. Thanks Again

Defin agree with previous poster regarding the riviera and the food was excellent. Very curious about silversea.

I am excited to try a new cruise line. I was very devoted to celebrity, then I tried Oceania, and now I want to try silversea. Can't say a negative thing about celebrity or Oceania. We have always had amazing vacations with them.

Don't worry I won't ask about dress code. My husband owns a tux and many suits lol.

Yes this is a ft lauderdale round trip to Caribbean. One day it is my hope to go on a cruise the Mediterranean.

Dusababy, the right itinerary and the right price - anything is possible!

We agree. That's why we chose a Vista on the recent trip to Norway and will be in a Silver for the same per diem on the Spirit for the TA.

Keith,

I guess I added 2+2 and came up with 5.

You're not the only one; I thought so too... And was so confused as to why there would be a TA in that direction, leaving FL for the Med, in December, that I had to go look up the itinerary...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

You're not the only one; I thought so too... And was so confused as to why there would be a TA in that direction, leaving FL for the Med, in December, that I had to go look up the itinerary...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

The devil is in the details. I did read the original post twice but then I understood what was meant. :cool:

Keith

We too, are new to SilverSea. I have been reading (but not posting) this forum for the last two months. We aren't big cruisers, but that's probably because we haven't had great experiences. First cruise was on Royal Caribbean and I hated it (other than the entertainment). It was just massive people and too much hype on board. Then graduated (a little) to Celebrity with the upgraded room so we could eat at their small specialty restaurant Blu. Loved having the smaller dining room experience, but still hated the mass of people. So, one last try for cruising - Silver Spirit - April 2014 to Caribbean. Everything I have read so far convinces me that this type of trip will change my attitude. It's just the massive people that becomes a turnoff for me.

There were other SS cruises that really peaked my interest - especially Norway, but I just decided that it would be easier to go somewhere where I can get a direct flight and not have to worry about jet lag. I'm trying to eliminate all the things that bother me about cruising so I can just thoroughly enjoy all the good things!

Our cruise leaves San Juan PR on April 12 for seven days - returning to Ft. Lauderdale. I haven't really seen any postings from people who have been on a SilverSeas Caribbean cruise. So, I will be particularly interested in seeing posts on that - and especially hearing from you, Nicole, after your trip!

doglover45,

One of the most important things about cruising imo is the itinerary. The main reason to cruise is to visit new places and cultures. yes, there may be some jet lag but you'd soon forget that when you sailed through the Norwegian fjords. I hope the Caribbean cruise meets all your expectations so you will try something different next time.

Archived