Silver Cloud (17 July- 4 Aug, London, Scotland, Iceland, Ireland, England

WesW

Once again thanks.This time for the picture of the Caymus.But not because of the wine but in the background is Cherry my favourite lady on the Cloud.Always tried to sit on her side of the Restaurant.

And she also is not from the Phillipines but China.

...but in the background is Cherry my favourite lady on the Cloud.Always tried to sit on her side of the Restaurant.

And she also is not from the Phillipines but China.

Um, Ron, I think you mean your second favorite lady? After Rojaan19, of course...

Hi Wes/Ida, delighted you are both having a fab cruise. Thoroughly enjoying traveling along vicariously with you.

I don't know where you are planning to visit whilst in Dublin but I have a few recommendations.

The Book of Kells, at Trinity College and from there you pass Molly Malone Statue on the way to Keogh's Pub just off Grafton Street on St Anne's Street, very authentically Irish with lots of nooks and crannies and it hasn't changed in years. St Stephen's Green is just a short stroll and you are close to Government Buildings on Merrion Square, Leinster House. Here is where Oscar Wilde once lived No 1 Merrion Sq and in 82 Merrion Square William Butler Yeats(incidentally this was the building I went to school in, but it is no longer a school).

The National Art Gallery is also located on Merrion Square.

Close by on Pembroke St is a lovely Gastro Pub called Matt The Thresher, fantastic for lunch with great Irish Seafood. Michelle Obama had dinner her a few weeks ago with her daughters.

Other recommendations are a trip to Glendalough, Powerscourt House and Gardens.

You could take a train called The Dart 35 mins from Pearse Station Or ( private Car / Taxi to Dalkey. This is a Heritage village on the coast to my favourite Pub ' Finnegan's'. Michelle Obama had Lunch here with Bono from U2 also on her recent trip.

I know you only have so much time. Hope this helps.

Today I was in Kinsale in Cork at a fabulous restaurant called Fishy Fishy.

Mr. Luxury, Rosepark, Orpington, Sakarra, RachelG, Orpington, Drron29; thanks all for the Dublin hearty recommendations. Will try to have a pint in each pub y'all recommend..hiccup :). John, Milo is the Chief Electrician on board and he is from Croatia. Believe, after 12 days on the Cloud wait staff is primarily from the Philippines. Tho as Ann notes Cherry is from China.

Drron29; absolutely concur, Cherry is an exceptional wonder of efficient wait service--and always with a smile.

Tonight we enjoyed a delicious Venetian dinner with fellow CCr’s; TxLadyCruiser/Wayne & Karen, and Farbster/Lawrence & Tacey in the Cloud’s Main Dining Room. The menu included lobster, black angus wellington and delicious first & second courses. We all enjoyed a full-bodied Jospeph Phelps Insignia Cab thanks to Wayne & Karen. Pix below. We then adjourned to enjoy “Fabbalicious” starring the Artists of Silversea.

iceatsealate002_zpsa668aab3.jpg

Wes,

Loving it all!

With a short stay in Dublin, recommend HOHO bus to see highlights. National Museum with BC gold,etc. fascinating. Also Book of Kells, the library is beautiful. Powerscourt Gardens gorgeous. But we had 2 full days in Dublin, then saw Powerscourt on 1st day driving out of city on a 10 day land tour.

So, still say try HOHO for highlights, then choose what's of most interest to you. Not a beer drinker, so settled for Irish whiskey!

aka AK

Afternoon, Col Wes.

Just to clarify, the Crown Bar is in Belfast not Dublin. Also known as the Crown Liquor Saloon. Wouldn't want you getting mixed up and going on a wild goose chase- you might have to sink a pint or two to recover!

Rp

Silversea Silver Cloud Crew Profile:

Let’s meet , Igor, Assistant Electrician on the Silversea Silver Cloud.

scotlandam021_zps48946a44.jpg

Igor hails from the Ukraine, is married and has two boys; ages 24, 20. He has on the Wind, Shadow, Whisper as well as on the Cloud. Igor has been with Silversea for almost seven years. Igor is responsible for ensuring electricity is functional in all areas of the ship; Galley, Restaurant, Tenders. This morning Igor was checking the Tender Battery’s. What Igor likes best about Silversea is getting to see the world .

Pls enjoy some pix of our sail-in to Stornoway Isle, Scotland

scotlandam008_zps967fcf28.jpg

scotlandam020_zpsc41efb89.jpg

scotlandam019_zps40209ed5.jpg

Wes,

It pains me to say anything nice about an Army guy, but I must admit that your entries in this thread are nothing short of outstanding. My wife and I left the Cloud in London on the day you came aboard. Your comments and photos make us wish that we'd stayed --- if for no other reason than to meet you and your bride. I agree 100% with your observations about the Cloud and its amazing crew.

Don't let an Irish pub crawl hamper your ability to keep on posting!

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Bogey

Wes, I have really enjoyed your posts and fabulous photos and feel as though I am travelling on this cruise with you all! I love Silver Cloud. Please give my very best wishes to Karl the Cruise Consultant. I see that you are due into Fowey (pronounced 'Foy') later in the week. Fowey is not too far from where I live in Devon and is a beautiful little place, very scenic. If you get chance and are interested in gardens you should try to visit The Lost Gardens of Heligan and/or the Eden Project. Both very different from each other but both really interesting and worth a visit if time permits.

Thanks gf for Dublin tips and Rosepark for the Belfast clarity on our search for the perfect pint.

Bogey, thanks very much for your gracious words--but Go Army, Beat Navy :). We look fwd to our Pub visit in Dublin on Wednesday. Thanks also Deliah21 for your recommendations in Fowey--we are scheduled to do the Eden Project (Ida can't wait as a newly minted (univ of Ga extension service) Master Gardener. Will pass your warm regards along to Carl too.

After breakfast we promptly left on Panoramic Lewis—our excursion to get a up close look at the unique heritage of this outer Hebrides Isle. Pls enjoy some pix we took:

We noted a few herds of Sheep along our route:

stornowayam004_zps07481119.jpg

Some homes used remains from the past Whaling Industry that was in this area for their garden archway:

stornowayam001_zps29e5a3f3.jpg

As we entered the Gearrannan Black House Village (sited in the natural beauty of the Atlantic coast of the Isle of Lewis, this village is a unique group of restored thatched cottages:

stornowayam009_zps0cce2b2d.jpg

stornowayam010_zpsf35bdd87.jpg

And more pix taken from our morning excursion on the Isle of Lewis:

stornowayam011_zps00b049e5.jpg

stornowayam017_zps0a551d32.jpg

In the Isle of Lewis and the northern Isle of Harris they weave the wool used for a gentleman's traditional Harris Tweed sportscoat among other items. Ever wonder how

they were made? Pls see:

stornowayam021_zps33124b65.jpg

stornowayam028_zps459c9f5b.jpg

We next visited Carloway Broch after 45 min drive along the rugged coastline. Pls enjoy pix of this 2000 yr old Broch (circular, dry-stone, fortified tower):

stornowayam046_zps7aa2f2fc.jpg

stornowayam063_zps93ec238b.jpg

stornowayam048_zps232dd03b.jpg

Fellow CCr, Farbster/Lawrence and Tacey, Ida inside the Broch:

stornowayam054_zpsd46d9425.jpg

Then Farbster/Lawrence took our Pix:

stornowayam055_zps086103cd.jpg

After a delightful lunch on board, Ida and I headed back out to explore the port of Lewis; Ida for shopping, me for running. Please enjoy some pix taken during my afternoon run in Lewis:

Chruch of Scotland:

stornpm001_zps902c573f.jpg

stornpm004_zps183f46bc.jpg

Public Libarary at the port of Lewis:

stornpm008_zpsd93d4068.jpg

Isle of Lewis War Memorial (more Lewis Soldiers who volunteered for duty in WW1, died than any other region in the UK during WWI).

stornpm015_zps45af75c2.jpg

Homes within 50 yards of this War memorial have a street named after the memorial:

stornpm016_zpsa3b98b44.jpg

As we sailed away, the bridge used their giant hand to wave good bye to another docked ship in the port, the Marco Polo:

atseabelfast001_zpsc53931f4.jpg

Tonight, fellow CCr’s Farbster/Lawrence and Tacey excelled, making an absolutely memorable evening on board the Silver Cloud. First (our group, specially invited by Lawrence and Tacey) met in the Panorama Lounge for pre-dinner cocktails. Pls see grp pix:

atseabelfast004_zps1efdd3de.jpg

Our group of 14 then adjourned to the Main Restaurant for a very special (outstanding) Asia dinner. Menu; Egg drop soup w/wonton, Roasted Duck, Roasted Chicken, Salmon Peking Style, Shrimp w/noodle, Stirfry veggies.

atseabelfast006_zpscd3968a3.jpg

atseabelfast017_zpsc9814790.jpg

atseabelfast018_zpsa6562099.jpg

atseabelfast020_zpsabbf2990.jpg

Silversea Silver Cloud Crew Profile:

belfastsailevans003_zps600692fa.jpg

Let’s meet , Evans who serves as Broadcast Technician on the Silversea Silver Cloud. Evans hails from the Philippines, is married and has four active boys (ages 21, 18, 13 and 9). He has served on the Silver Cloud for nearly 5 years, prior to serving on the Cloud he served on Cargo ships for about 20 years. Evans is responsible for maintaining all broadcasting electronic gear, for example his good work allows us to hear the Captain’s and CD Judie's daily messages crystal clearly. What Evans likes best about Silversea/serving on the Cloud is getting to see the world and the Salary, “money” he earns.

Pls enjoy some pix of our Belfast sail in this morning:

belfastsailevans008_zps55e7c292.jpg

belfastsailevans009_zps87588089.jpg

belfastsailevans010_zpsa9b3fcc4.jpg

Archived