Oceania Drink Prices (deciding on a package)

corpkid

Hi all,

We depart on the 24th via Marina for a 10 day Baltic Odyssey cruise. Of course, this cruise is VERY port intensive with only 1 sea day, and in SPB we are gone pretty much all of 2 of our 3 days (returning as late as 11:30pm the 1st and 2nd days - going to a ballet in SPB and the next day is a LONG day in Moscow).

That said, I'm trying to figure out if a beverage package will make sense for us. We'd go Prestige if we did it at all ($54 pp, per day). Does anyone know where I can find a current price list for drinks? If not, can someone who has recently sailed tell me what the following drinks would cost?

- Hendricks (top shelf gin) martini

- Sapphire & tonic (top shelf cocktail)

- Bacardi and diet coke (standard shelf cocktail)

I know we will also drink 2 or so glasses of wine during dinner - what's the going price range on their "by the glass" wines available with the package?

If someone can link me to a recent price list, I'd be MOST appreciative. :)

If you figure on average $10 to $11 per drink I think it will be close

Or you could just check out the bar menu when you board then decide if it works for you

Thanks... That's pretty much what I was budgeting for - $11/drink (grat. included in estimate).

Now, time to do some math. :) The goal here is BEFORE we get on the ship, know if this is going to make sense or not and not have to do this exercise ON the ship. LOL Besides, I'm on a conference call until 4am EST so I'm up anyways. <grin>

Thanks... That's pretty much what I was budgeting for - $11/drink (grat. included in estimate).

5-6 drinks a day would make the package work ;)

Have fun

there's a 4am ??? :eek:

5-6 drinks a day would make the package work ;)

Have fun

there's a 4am ??? :eek:

I'm an international IT manager - I'm overseeing a cutover in our Singapore datacenter. Never gets old (yes it does) :o

At least I'm in my T-Shirt and shorts sitting here at home... They used to make me head there for this stuff, then turn right back around. Flying is not my strong suit. LOL

The math is done and this would not make sense for us since we will be spending so much time in port, and typically eat late, relax for a bit, then head to bed. We also have some early mornings so sleep (which you can see I get very little of) is a great thing.

We'd basically be consuming, if we were on the ship all day:

1-2 cocktails afternoon (gin and tonic or for me, a negroni)

2 top shelf Martini's pre-dinner

2-3 Glasses of wine with dinner (or one bottle or so for the two of us)

ME ONLY - 1 or 2 digestif's (sambuca or negroni most likely - yum)... DH doesn't drink after eating dinner, ever.

It makes sense on the surface, however factoring our schedule day by day, it probably will be a wash, or within $100 either way, so not overly concerned. I will say that when we were on Azamara, last December in S. America, prior to them going all inclusive, the packages did make sense for us since we had much more time on the ship, the packages were much less expensive, and wine was (freely) poured at all meals and was included in base fare. I wonder if O is headed in the direction of AZ where they have just gone ALL inclusive (and jacked the prices to match)?

I wonder if O is headed in the direction of AZ where they have just gone ALL inclusive (and jacked the prices to match)?

Oh I hope not

I do not want to pay higher prices

Do not forget you can take some Gin or whatever for use in your cabin

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Do not forget you can take some Gin or whatever for use in your cabin

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Thank you Lyn. I think that's just what we will do - Now, next exercise: Fly with the "hooch" or buy it in Stockholm (we'll be there for 3 days before embarkation)... Back to the research...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systembolaget

I know we will also drink 2 or so glasses of wine during dinner - what's the going price range on their "by the glass" wines available with the package?

If someone can link me to a recent price list, I'd be MOST appreciative. :)

Here's a link to the wine list with prices. Wines by the glass are listed on the last 2 pages.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/wine-lists/GDR-Wine-List.pdf

Dow's Port ($19 a small glass) and Champagne by the glass are available in the Prestige bev pkg, as are after dinner coffees such as Irish Coffee.

Hubby always buys a bottle of Scotch at the last duty free. They usually have something he will enjoy on sale. I used to buy some stuff but rarely drank it so now I don't bother.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you Lyn. I think that's just what we will do - Now, next exercise: Fly with the "hooch" or buy it in Stockholm (we'll be there for 3 days before embarkation)... Back to the research...

I you are not making a connecting flight in Europe than you should buy your hard liquor at the duty free in the U.S. I fyou make a connection in Europe this doesn't work. We buy Johnny Walker at JFK and then bring it on the ship.

Hubby always buys a bottle of Scotch at the last duty free. They usually have something he will enjoy on sale. I used to buy some stuff but rarely drank it so now I don't bother.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've also been picking up a bottle or 2 at the duty free on my way out on international flights in situations like yours. You don't have to pack it, doesn't count against your baggage weight, is usually a better deal than buying at home or at your destination, you don't waste time shopping for it at your destination. Works for me.

Mo

We are the same way

DH got a nice bottle of Scotch in london & ended up bringing it home

I may buy a bottle of wine for the cabin but that is about it

Lyn

I you are not making a connecting flight in Europe than you should buy your hard liquor at the duty free in the U.S. I fyou make a connection in Europe this doesn't work. We buy Johnny Walker at JFK and then bring it on the ship.

Terrier1, why doesn't it work if you are making connections and it is packed in your checked bag?

Terrier1' date=' why doesn't it work if you are making connections and it is packed in your checked bag?[/quote']

It will work if you are willing to take a chance on all your clothing smelling of vodka or be stained with red wine :D

Terrier1' date=' why doesn't it work if you are making connections and it is packed in your checked bag?[/quote']

In my experience your duty free is handed to you at the gate ..your checked bag is long gone

If you connect anything over 3 oz will be confiscated

If you buy at home & put in your checked bag that is another story

If you do have a connection buy the duty free during the last connecting flight or on the plane on the last leg

YMMV

Lyn

I just checked this site, Dominic, and based on 300 SEK (2011 prices) for a cheap bottle of vodka, the conversion is over $45 per bottle. :eek: And are they talking a 750 l. or a 175? Even the airport duty free sites are cheaper than that (although they are more expensive than at my local Walgreens!

Lynn, thanks for the explanation. We usually pack in our checked bag, so we shouldn't be concerned.

Donna

It does work if you collect your luggage at the connection but you would have to pack the bottles into the luggage and load it onto the next flight. If your luggage goes straight through to the end destination then the airline will not allow you to bring the liquid on board at the connection.

My work associate purchased a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue as a birthday present to herself at the duty free in China. She was unaware of the connection (and rules) to come back home. She had to leave the bottle at the connection point so she opened up the bottle and took at few swigs. Very expensive lesson.

We purchased the alcohol package on our first Oceania cruise in May and are happy that we did. One thing that I do not believe has been mentioned is the size of the drinks. I enjoy a Grey Goose martini and found them to be approximately half of the size of what is typically served in restaurants. Since I had the package, I ordered a double which was very satisfactory. If we did not have the package, that one drink would have cost $20 plus 18% tip. My DH's drink would have cost the same.

For us, going to a lounge for a drink - chatting with people, etc. is so much better than drinking in your cabin. In the specialty restaurants, we also liked having our wine glasses topped up instead of waiting until it is empty and thinking about whether or not we really want to pay for another glass.

We probably paid just about the same for the package as we would have paying for each drink plus tip separately -- however, the convenience of having the package made a huge difference!

Regarding buying booze from duty free and then having a connecting flight, as long as you don't need to go thru security again, you shouldn't have any issues carrying the bottle on.

The check for bottles is a security and not on boarding the flight. Granted, this means you will need to know if you will be changing terminals and thus going thru security again but, should be able to find that out via your friend google.

Most US airports but, not all where you transfer flights you will stay in the terminal as should be able to carry the bottle(s). When arriving in a foreign airport where you have to clear immigration and customs, most likely you will need to again go thru security. Same thing coming home to the US and connecting thru a US airport.

Agree totally about the package TC2. The one area where I always found Oceania EXTREMELY stingy is in the size of their martinis.Two sips and they're gone. So I always order doubles too. That's why the package makes so much sense. Although in Martinis on Marina they are larger.

Agree totally about the package TC2. The one area where I always found Oceania EXTREMELY stingy is in the size of their martinis.Two sips and they're gone. So I always order doubles too. That's why the package makes so much sense. Although in Martinis on Marina they are larger.

Thanks for the tip. We didn't go to Martinis because it was extremely crowded when we went down for a drink. Will give it a try next time.

Fancy martinis, which they mix pretty strong and leave you the martini mixer, are $10 a pop.

Beers and mixed drinks were $6 to $9 for the standard stuff.

Each day they had drink specials, I think they were $5

But the best deal was happy hour, 2 for 1 at 5-6pm and during bingo sessions. Applied to all but martinis and single malt scotch.

Archived