Not on the Equinox

sandypail

I should be relaxing on the Equinox at this very moment. Instead I'm in bed with a nasty case of Shingles covering the entire left side of my face. My advise... If you had chicken pox don't delay in getting the Shingles vaccination. The pain is horrible on top of the disappointment of having to cancel a trip at the very last second. Now I get to unpack form a trip I never took. Well, at least I don't have any laundry to do. LOL

I should be relaxing on the Equinox at this very moment. Instead I'm in bed with a nasty case of Shingles covering the entire left side of my face. My advise... If you had chicken pox don't delay in getting the Shingles vaccination. The pain is horrible on top of the disappointment of having to cancel a trip at the very last second. Now I get to unpack form a trip I never took. Well, at least I don't have any laundry to do. LOL

Agree, had it last year, get the shot, fortunately I got it when we came back from vacation. Had mine down the back and across into the leg, it follows the path of whichever nerve it's sitting in. Also, most people have had Chicken Pox as children whether they know it or not.

I'm sorry you had to miss your trip. I too have had shingles and they are terrible so I know what you are going thru.

Hopefully you had trip insurance and can book another, even more fabulous cruise to replace this one.

I'm sorry you missed the boat.

Do write that you took insurance.

And again, to post about your recovery.

That's bad news about the shingles.

There's always another cruise.

Hopefully, shingles is once in a lifetime.

Take care to keep your spirit up.

-Marisa

We did have trip insurance. And we're already booked on the Equinox for Dec 9.,Ultimate Caribbean. I should stop feeling sorry for myself but this pain is just to awful to think about travel at the moment.

I hope you feel better soon and it is ok to feel sorry for yourself.

Sounds like this just happened:(

So, so sorry to hear about your cancelled trip. I hope you're soon on the mend, and can look forward to your next cruise in December.

I've also had shingles on my face, from half way across my nose on the left side, over my cheek, and down to just above my lip. I really can sympathise, the pain was absolutely awful. I am going back quite a few years now, at the time when doctors prescribed something called 'Herpid paint' to put on them. Mine had broken out, and this stuff was like putting acid on your face, you couldnt bear to do it yourself, I had to get my other half to do it for me.

Hope the pain goes away soon - good luck

Lou x

Had the shot. it's about 50 percent effective. Check your insurance coverage as some plans only cover the cost as a "pharmacy" benefit and will not cover if given at your doctors office.

Had the shot. it's about 50 percent effective. Check your insurance coverage as some plans only cover the cost as a "pharmacy" benefit and will not cover if given at your doctors office.

Correct, doctor asked me last year if I wanted the shot and it was like $200, I told him no, I'll wait until December of last year when I went on Medicare. Wound up six months short. Medicare does cover it though.

Correct, doctor asked me last year if I wanted the shot and it was like $200, I told him no, I'll wait until December of last year when I went on Medicare. Wound up six months short. Medicare does cover it though.

Hi Don, the shot for prevention costs $200.00?:eek:

Hi Don, the shot for prevention costs $200.00?:eek:

Lois,

Getting older does come with benefits.

IMHO,

get the shot, even if you use some cruise funds to pay for it.

Thankfully the OP had cruise insurance.

Even with the shingles pain, the reimbursement for a December cruise

to the S. Carib. is a step toward recovery.

-Marisa

Sandy, sorry you missed your cruise at the last minute. It happened to us so I know how you feel.

Some insurance plans do cover the shingles shot given at the doctors office. My DH's doctor was so skeptical when he was told this we had to put in writing that if the insurance did not pay we would. Even with the shot you can get a mild case as my DH did. Very small rash and no pain so the shot is worth it.

Mary Lou

our ins. plan will only cover it, if given at dr's office but most dr's cannot order the large quantity required to place an order.. (also needs ltemp controlled conditions for storage)

patiently waiting to be eligible for medicare when I hope it will finally be covered.. having had chicken pox twice already. I live in fear!

glad OP had insurance and has booked another cruise...enjoy & hope you are feeeling better..

I paid just under $200 for the shingles vaccine. I made my husband get it too. To me whether insurance covered it or not, it was well worth the money just to get a really mild case if you do get it.

I paid the $200 for the shot for the same reason. I think it is well worth the money. As someone else said there is still a chance to get it with the shot but likely it will be much milder. My father had it and I don't want it.

Sandy, sorry you missed your cruise at the last minute. It happened to us so I know how you feel.

Some insurance plans do cover the shingles shot given at the doctors office. My DH's doctor was so skeptical when he was told this we had to put in writing that if the insurance did not pay we would. Even with the shot you can get a mild case as my DH did. Very small rash and no pain so the shot is worth it.

Mary Lou

My insurance covers it at the doctors office but no doctors have it around here. It has to be frozen and none want to handle it in their office. I had to pay at a Pharmacy minute clinic.

Our insurance covers it...too late for me though I had it in the throat last year and, yeah, it's incredibly painful....

So sorry you missed your cruise because of it, it's okay to feel for yourself ... shingles is no fun at all...:eek:

So sorry to hear this, but glad you had insurance. I am in my mid 40's and had chicken pox once around age 13 and again as an adult when I was approximately 24. I then had a minor case of shingles in my early 40's when I was under stress. My doctor has not mentioned the shingles vaccination, perhaps because of my age? Maybe I should look into it with my history?

Only part threof. I am on Medicare; and, my shot at the pharmacy cost $90.00. Also, you needed a prescription.

I have had some friends who have had the shingles; and, they corroborate the concerns of you folks who have had same.

Additionally, there now appears to be some concern for those on medicare as to the availability of the shot after the January 1. 1014. drop dead date under obomacare.

Somewhere around there, check if your insurance company covers it, I know you have a good 25 yrs. or so before you go on medicare.

Huh? I will be lucky if I am around in 25 years:eek:

I was 51 when I got shingles :eek: - I just could not believe it because I though I was too young. Take a low functioning immune system + stress = shingles. Luckily I was vacationing with my SIL - a physician - who when I showed her my "bug bites" - rushed me to a clinic, where with the correct meds - cut the duration and severity down to a minimal level. I waited 1 year and then got the shingles vaccine from my Dr's office - $200.00 that my insurance would not pay for BUT the best $200.00 I thought I had ever spent. Fast forward to last week when my eye suddenly became infected - guess what the eye Dr. thinks I have - that's right - shingles in my eye! I'm only 56 but I tell everyone - spend the money and get the vaccine - it works for most people. To the OP - I'm so very sorry that you didn't get to go on this cruise - rest, recuperate and then enjoy your cruise in December.

Archived