How Many Cruises Before You Stopped Attending the Informicals/Seminars

miched

I got suckered in ONE & only time with the free charm bracelet selling point. I got the bracelet, but after I realized how difficult & time consuming it was to track down the stores with the charms (not to mention the charms were pretty junky IMO). Ever since then, I completely disregard any of the seminars or shopping talks onboard.

I got suckered in ONE & only time with the free charm bracelet selling point. I got the bracelet, but after I realized how difficult & time consuming it was to track down the stores with the charms (not to mention the charms were pretty junky IMO). Ever since then, I completely disregard any of the seminars or shopping talks onboard.

We actually did this once on RC, when we were cruising with my best friend. She wanted to put together a souvenir charm bracelet for each of her grade-school age grandaughters. We helped her collect the free charms from each of the listed shops -- it became sort of a scavenger hunt! :cool:

Years ago a business associate of mine returned from a trip to Rio. He was very excited. It seems that he had purchased some gems at wholesale prices-wholesale direct that cut out the retail margin.. Much less expensive than Sterns and just as nice.

Alas, his excitement was somewhat dulled when a local jeweller told him the bad news. They were all fakes.

I think the whole issue of the port marketing program being misrepresented as informational presentations about the port itself is a real black mark on Celebrity and the cruise industry as a whole. I'd have no problem with these programs if they were presented as marketing events and if the ship disclosed that the recommended stores paid advertising fees to the ship. But I think it is nothing short of a scam they way they are billed as being port information presentations to snare the uninitiated and how the shopping consultant and recommended stores are misrepresented as being in the passengers best interests instead of it being made clear that they're paid advertisements.

Well said!

Iam am sure that we have all attended the infomercials disguised as seminars for shopping, tours, and etc.

How many cruises did it take before you stopped going?

I remember the first time we were really excited about shopping and getting the best bargains. We attended the "seminar" listened and took notes and talked to the Expert Shopper afterwards, and even visited him at his desk for the free coupons, booklet, and raffle tickets.

We were slow learners as it took us about 3 cruises to figure out it was a waste of time and the only recommended stores were those that were willing to pay for the recommendation.

We also got sucked into visiting a store for the free gem stone, charm, and hung around for the raffle. It was fun the first few times but now we don't bother.

Just wondering if any veteran cruisers continue to attend the seminars, go to the stores for the gifts and raffles?

One & done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We attended a couple port talks on our first cruise on another line in 1998 - not been to another one since. I don't think we've ever gone to one of the other types of infomercials on board as our first few cruises were with our kids and didn't have as many sea days. So by the time we were on cruises where we would have had time to go to things like "health seminars" we were clued into the fact that such things were just advertisements.

I think the whole issue of the port marketing program being misrepresented as informational presentations about the port itself is a real black mark on Celebrity and the cruise industry as a whole. I'd have no problem with these programs if they were presented as marketing events and if the ship disclosed that the recommended stores paid advertising fees to the ship. But I think it is nothing short of a scam they way they are billed as being port information presentations to snare the uninitiated and how the shopping consultant and recommended stores are misrepresented as being in the passengers best interests instead of it being made clear that they're paid advertisements. The art auctions are not a whole lot better in my opinion but at least when one goes there it is clear you're being sold something by a company in business to sell stuff and this point isn't so clear with the port talks.

While I agree the cruise lines blatant misrepresentation of certain stores as being trusted locations

instead of really just being those that have paid them a fee is wrong, I can't get too excited about it.

As you yourself wrote, "We attended a couple port talks on our first cruise on another line in 1998 - not been to another one since."

Very few people seem to go to these things after the first couple of cruises, if they ever went to one in the first place.

I think the you are underestimating the intelligence of most people. As for the others, a fool and his money are soon parted.:rolleyes:

While I agree the cruise lines blatant misrepresentation of certain stores as being trusted locations

instead of really just being those that have paid them a fee is wrong, I can't get too excited about it.

As you yourself wrote, "We attended a couple port talks on our first cruise on another line in 1998 - not been to another one since."

Very few people seem to go to these things after the first couple of cruises, if they ever went to one in the first place.

I think the you are underestimating the intelligence of most people. As for the others, a fool and his money are soon parted.:rolleyes:

There are a lot of first time cruisers on the ships - a much higher percentage than there is here on cruise critic. There is no way to tell that the port talks are a waste of time vs. good info unless you've wasted the time going to one or are lucky enough to find info like this before your first cruise.

Once when we were wondering through town in St Thomas we saw the ship's shopping consultant working hard in conjunction with the salesmen at Diamonds International to close a sale on a pretty expensive diamond necklace. That was years ago but I'm sure it continues to this day and happens on every cruise as these con artists fool the initialed into believing they are helping them shop.

On the brighter side, I've noticed that Celebrity no longer seems to have their bar waiters offering Bahama Mama drinks on embarkation day trying to fool new cruisers into believing they are getting a complimentary drink before asking for their sea pass card. So perhaps someone in the marketing department has some morals.

There are a lot of first time cruisers on the ships - a much higher percentage than there is here on cruise critic. There is no way to tell that the port talks are a waste of time vs. good info unless you've wasted the time going to one or are lucky enough to find info like this before your first cruise.

Once when we were wondering through town in St Thomas we saw the ship's shopping consultant working hard in conjunction with the salesmen at Diamonds International to close a sale on a pretty expensive diamond necklace. That was years ago but I'm sure it continues to this day and happens on every cruise as these con artists fool the initialed into believing they are helping them shop.

On the brighter side, I've noticed that Celebrity no longer seems to have their bar waiters offering Bahama Mama drinks on embarkation day trying to fool new cruisers into believing they are getting a complimentary drink before asking for their sea pass card. So perhaps someone in the marketing department has some morals.

I noticed that too. I think that is another scam.... And I still see it on other lines when I am not sailing Celebrity. And those drinks in the fancy glasses are like 11.00....that is a lot of money for some young inexperienced cruisers.

Iam am sure that we have all attended the infomercials disguised as seminars for shopping, tours, and etc.

I remember the first time we were really excited about shopping and getting the best bargains. We attended the "seminar" listened and took notes and talked to the Expert Shopper afterwards, and even visited him at his desk for the free coupons, booklet, and raffle tickets.

We were slow learners as it took us about 3 cruises to figure out it was a waste of time and the only recommended stores were those that were willing to pay for the recommendation.

We also got sucked into visiting a store for the free gem stone, charm, and hung around for the raffle. It was fun the first few times but now we don't bother.

Just wondering if any veteran cruisers continue to attend the seminars, go to the stores for the gifts and raffles?

Zero! Never have. Clearly a sales strategy. That goes for the "art" auctions, too. I DO go on the galley tour every year, even though they sell the cook book at the end, but I really do think the galley tour is cool, I don't count that. :)

Zero! Never have. Clearly a sales strategy. That goes for the "art" auctions, too. I DO go on the galley tour every year, even though they sell the cook book at the end, but I really do think the galley tour is cool, I don't count that. :)

Oh no you’ve missed the opportunity to get the ever so popular, coveted and limited Port Shopping Book or whatever they call it. Say it’s not so!

we too learned very quickly years ago. I'll say, we just returned from our Alaska cruise, was surprised to see disclaimer stating merchants paid a fee to be in their 'port shopping guide'. It was front and center, not mice type at the bottom of page. This was not on Celebrity, yet a competitor.

I noticed that too. I think that is another scam.... And I still see it on other lines when I am not sailing Celebrity. And those drinks in the fancy glasses are like 11.00....that is a lot of money for some young inexperienced cruisers.

Don't you get to keep the glass? Some people actually enjoy buying the souvenir glass. Not me, but I'm sure there are some.

We still go to the shopping talks, but purely for entertainment, not for information.

Haven't attended since the first cruise, and actually stopped after the first port - San Juan, PR.

I got to know a store manager quite well in St Martin. Years ago I asked him why he wasn't on the approved list ( the island map that is in the daily paper) and he said that it cost him $500 for each ship docked and sometimes there would be 6 or 7. Besides that cost there was the expert shoppers paying a visited for their taste. He said that he didn't need to advertise as people will still come in and he hasn't really noticed a drop in customers.

The whole purpose of the buyers guarantee paper that they want you to fill out is to make sure that they are getting their share. If you read the guarantee closely and dont try to read into what they want you think it isn't worth the paper that it is printed on. It doesn't guarantee a thing except that you purchased some merchandise. .

**Must be a Soprano's fan:D

This is the way I handled the free Bahama Mama:

1. Take a big drink

2. Act surprised when you find out it ain't free

3. Hand it back and apologize

4. Repeat

One, and on the first cruise. Now I know the names of the "recommended shops" and those are the ones I don't shop in! Through conversations with other cruisers I've discovered the shops that DO have the good reputable deals in jewelry (if I happen to want jewelry) and who don't pay the cruise lines. But mostly we don't shop much on a cruise and if we do we buy local handcrafts from good shops off the beaten path.

Inch of gold, table sales in the atrium, shopping lectures, art auctions...Love them all! (It gives others something to do and keeps them out of the activities that I WANT to do!:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I will tell you all a tale that really turned us off to Celebrity's shopping lectures and recommendations. A few years ago we were on the Infinity in South America and had a port stop at Rio. Rio happens to be the home of some wonderful jewelers the most well known being H. Stern and also Amsterdam Sauer. These are both very reputable companies (with some comparing Stern quality to places like Tiffany's) and popular with many cruisers. A few years ago Mrs. Stern (she owns H. Stern) decided to stop paying the ever increasing "bribes" to the port shopping folks (and cruise lines). Meanwhile, her competitor, Amsterdam Sauer, was willing to pay the "bribes" and take out large ads in the various cruise line shopping magazines and books (given to passengers).

So the day before we get to Rio there is an announcement in the daily Celebrity schedule telling folks not to use the free transportation provided by jewelry stores (they will give you rides from the port to downtown and their stores) such as Sterns. They had the nerve to tell folks to only deal with Amsterdam Sauer! Of course H. Stern was waiting in the terminal and happily provided free car service to anyone who wanted to go downtown and/or to their flagship jewelry store (which is also a true jewelry factory).

When we were at Sterns we spoke to the store manager and brought up the situation on the Infinity. He said that Mrs. Stern just got fed up with all the underhanded stuff that was going on (with the companies that do the shopping lectures) and decided not to give the cruise lines (or their franchisors) one cent! At one time they did do a lot of advertising on the ships...but he said that it had gone from paying for simple advertising to much much more. We do not know if this situation has since changed.

Hank

At one time, Stern's had a boutique on Celebrity ships. No more!

Archived