Tipping on the cruise

maing07

I had a question on tipping. I've been on 1 other cruise and going on another one in a few weeks. Do the tips that they add to your bill at the end of your cruise actually go to the room steward and the waiters you have in the main dining room. I asked them to give me that money in cash so I could personally give it to them just in case. Anybody know for sure? Thanks

Yes, they do. Most cruise lines have an auto-tip procedure where they add the recommended amount to your account daily. This is distributed by set amounts to your waiters, cabin stewards, and a few other people. If you remove the auto tip and give cash, they have to turn it in to their supervisor. If you have left the auto tip on, and give extra, the supervisor checks, sees that you have done this, and gives the money back to them. but if you removed the tips, the money is kept and distributed to all who are in the tip pool in the same percentages as they would have received if you left the tips on. So unless you are very generous and give them more than they would have received through the auto tips, you are not doing them any favors. Somewhere on your cruise line website there is usually a breakdown of the distribution of the auto-tips. EM

I had a question on tipping. I've been on 1 other cruise and going on another one in a few weeks. Do the tips that they add to your bill at the end of your cruise actually go to the room steward and the waiters you have in the main dining room. I asked them to give me that money in cash so I could personally give it to them just in case. Anybody know for sure? Thanks

YES. Your cabin steward can assure you that they really do get their share of the "tips" -- Daily Service Charge -- that is added to your bill. If you had that money in cash instead, there is no way you could tip all the people who would be in the pool since some are "behind the scenes" people such as laundry workers.

Edited by NMLady

Whatever you give in cash they must give up into the poll. Unless you give more than the ship would take out of your account.

They will likely not give you the auto-tip money in cash for you to distribute. The tips may be shared with people you don't see but who work behind the scenes.

If you get excellent service, you ar welcome to give those individuals extra tips, which they may not have to share.

Edited by dread_pirate

Cash in an envelope can be misplaced or stolen. No need to have to worry about that. Simply leave the auto tips in place thus leaving the guest services personnel free to deal with any issues that might arise instead of doing something that really doesn't need to be done.:)

Did they actually give you the money to hand out? Am I reading this wrong?:confused:

Edited by iheartbda

You should feel free to tip additional over the automatic tip or hotel service charge or whatever your cruise line calls it. Anyone you choose to provide 'over and above' tip would be most appreciative. We often do that for crew who have made our cruise more special.

Yes they gave me the money in a envelope to give personally to the room lady and our waiters.

I find this hard to understand.

Did the ship's personnel actually hand you cash? I assume that you prepaid the tips in cash - because ordinarily the tips are simply added to the bill which is presented to you at the end of the cruise.

Did they not explain to you that if you removed such prepaid tips, the crew members to whom you handed such cash tips would be required to turn the tips in to be added to the pool --- thereby making your efforts pointless.

What line were you sailing ?

I find this hard to understand.

Did the ship's personnel actually hand you cash? I assume that you prepaid the tips in cash - because ordinarily the tips are simply added to the bill which is presented to you at the end of the cruise.

Did they not explain to you that if you removed such prepaid tips, the crew members to whom you handed such cash tips would be required to turn the tips in to be added to the pool --- thereby making your efforts pointless.

What line were you sailing ?

No they never explained any of that to us. When I received the bill at the end I went to the desk and asked to have that gratuity in cash so i could personally give it to them so I knew it would go to the right people. They said that was fine and gave me the money. It was on carnival.

No they never explained any of that to us. When I received the bill at the end I went to the desk and asked to have that gratuity in cash so i could personally give it to them so I knew it would go to the right people. They said that was fine and gave me the money. It was on carnival.

They gave you the cash....:confused::confused:

I find it interesting that they gave you the cash. After all, how could they be sure that you were in fact going to leave it as tips? I thought that was the whole purpose of auto-tipping.

That was also my thought.

The whole thing does not make sense.

Ditto and like you said, the effort was worthless since those that were tipped personally had to turn in the money and get less in the end. I'm not sure why people think the money will not go to the right crew if they don't hand it to them. Crew members would not stick around long if they were not getting to what they are entitled.

I just wish all lines would call it a daily service charge, which cannot be removed, and stop calling it a tip or gratuities. Anything that a person decided to give over and above the DSC would then be an actual tip.

Yes they gave me the money in a envelope to give personally to the room lady and our waiters.

Maybe vouchers, not cash? I don't think they still do it. Which cruise line was it?

Oh, I see you explained. In the beginning, did you give them your credit card number, or was your account set up as cash account?

Edited by Dayenu

I find it difficult to believe that they actually gave you the cash back and accept the statement that you actually gave it to the "right" people. However, on the assumption that what you are saying is correct, here is what happened -

1) You had the tips added to your bill;

2) You requested that that cash be returned to you;

3) You have it to the right people;

4) The "right" people turned in your cash tip to the tip pool after thanking you profusely (which might have been your intent - profuse thanks).

Thus, what you did was the right pocket, left pocket, right pocket act. You accomplished absolutely nothing for your effort.

DON

I find it difficult to believe that they actually gave you the cash back and accept the statement that you actually gave it to the "right" people. However, on the assumption that what you are saying is correct, here is what happened -

1) You had the tips added to your bill;

2) You requested that that cash be returned to you;

3) You have it to the right people;

4) The "right" people turned in your cash tip to the tip pool after thanking you profusely (which might have been your intent - profuse thanks).

Thus, what you did was the right pocket, left pocket, right pocket act. You accomplished absolutely nothing for your effort.

DON

Except....they got to lord it over the little crew people.

Good god. How do I end a thread. I stopped caring about this question already. Didn't realize I committed a felony.

No one accused you of a felony -- it is simply that a number of us do not believe what you have posted makes sense - or is even likely to have happened. I do not blame you for wishing it away.