New propulsion problem on Millennium

cruisestitch

67qp0j.jpg

Latest pic from Ketchican

Something needs to change in this industry. Give a thought to the folks from Australia that took the train to Seward to find out there was no cruise ship waiting. NO hotel to go to and there airlines cant reschedule them to fly home on existing tickets. In total $10,000 odd in flights to get back home and no insurance will pay as its mechanical failure

Do I hear lawyers laughing?

:eek:

Right there with you, Cindy! We had the beverage package promo included on our now-cancelled Millie cruise. This morning I asked our TA about switching to Solstice Sept 23 Ensenada-Honolulu sailing if Celebrity would "carry over" our beverage package promo. She called =X= and went "up the food chain" with our request, however it was denied.

It's a bit difficult to figure out the logic of their offering a complimentary beverage package promotion, only to have them take it away from you in the event you have to hastily reschedule your vacation due to their ongoing mechanical cancellations! :rolleyes:

When I called requesting the same thing, they told me no because the beverage package had no monetary value! :eek: :eek: :eek: I told them "Well it does to me, but if that's what you truly believe, then you should have no problems honoring it!"

Right now I'm very DISGUSTED with Celebrity's handling of this whole situation. There so called "compensation" esp for airfare is crap! $200pp only covers the change fees for 1 leg of flights. Like many, I am losing a lot of money. Expenses which are not being covered by their travel insurance. And the icing on the cake is that they won't be crediting or reimbursing the cost of their own insurance even though there is no chance you will be using it!!

4 am. Arrived Fairmont Vancouver Hotel

THIS is modern luxury!

So glad they have put you in that hotel, they are probably using rooms that passengers who were to join the next trip were to use. It is a fab hotel, the only drawback is you will be seeing all the other cruise ships coming and going

I hope you can enjoy your days in Vancouver, it is a beautiful city and the hotels concierge is very helpful as I recall

And thank you for all your posts, you highlighted one fundamental in a situation like this, communication will make or break a situation.

And I cannot but help reflecting on the difference between this scenario and the Azamara one when the ship went on fire - there the CEO flew out to the Phillipines despite some personal family issues and was seen even helping people wheel their luggage off the ship. As we read at the time, although on board communication was not 100% that was as much because the situation was changing so much, but it was darn near it. I think Mr Bayley has a lot to learn from his fellow CEO when things go wrong.

My ongoing rant against Celebrity and our canceled 8/23 cruise...12 hours before departure...

I feel like the 50% is generous, however the 100% feels more like it's the max they can do and are really making the effort...the 50% feels like they care 50% of my sisters lost 50th birthday, my 76 year old mother who was excited to go to Alaska and the year of planning and expense that went into this trip...in the news they keep saying 100% refund and future cruise credit...they have framed this in a slick PR way to make it appear that it is a full free cruise...I mean of course they are refunding the money, none of us have traveled on their ship!! See, they put the 100% on there to trick the mind into focusing on that number...really sick in my opinion....even in the darkest moments, it's all about business...

I sailed on the Millennium 2 weeks prior to her problems actually beginning in Asia. During her full ship charter she was experiencing technical problems. This happened in late April before she came to Alaska. I guess whatever the problems were the Band-Aid fix Celebrity came up with was not enough to hold up until her next dry dock. I do hope folks are able to find other arrangements with other cruise lines if you're still wanting to go or can salvage some parts of your vacation.

I've sailed on the Millennium and have had great memories from this ship. It's so sad to see she's fallen into such dis-repair below decks. :( She was absolutely stunning after her Solsticization. :)

A few bars in town seem to be open and a handful of passengers have left the ship and are out wandering the darkened streets of Ketchikan

The comedian tonight did a very funny bit as Paul Baya, cruise Director was on stage for the wrap-up. From offstage he did a spot on imitation of the Captain's voice "This is your captain speaking to you from the navigational bridge. We are unable to complete the electrical repairs because its too dark in here and we're going to have to wait until the sun comes up". Baya was laughing so hard he was crying.

No updates expected now until 8 tomorrow morning.

I'm glad Paul Baya is aboard. At least cruise passengers on the current shortened and now cancelled sailing are in good hands. Paul is an amazing CD. I got to know him well on NCL. I'm sad he's left NCL and moved to pastures over at Celebrity but if anyone can make people laugh who might be seriously pissed off... it's him! :)

The distance between Ketchikan and Anchorage is 772 Miles. Not sure what types of aircraft are being used... but this should help.

The chartered planes are Boeing 737-800 aircraft - 2x from Miami Air, and 1x from Sun Country. That's what I am aware of, at least. Most of their flights are going to Seattle and Vancouver rather than Anchorage, based on what I am seeing over here in the aviation world.

And I cannot but help reflecting on the difference between this scenario and the Azamara one when the ship went on fire - there the CEO flew out to the Phillipines despite some personal family issues and was seen even helping people wheel their luggage off the ship. As we read at the time, although on board communication was not 100% that was as much because the situation was changing so much, but it was darn near it. I think Mr Bayley has a lot to learn from his fellow CEO when things go wrong.

That would have been a great move, especially given the severity of this situation. Nothing like being on the ground to observe the situation, gather feedback, and be able to address issues.

Probably a bit late now for that to happen though.

Has anyone still on board asked hotel (cabin attendants, waiters) crew about when and where they are getting off the ship?

(Celebrity is undoubtedly going to send these folks home to spend more time with their families. :rolleyes: )

It might be hard to get a straight answer out of them though - they have probably been told to claim ignorance or in fact, do not know, because they are in limbo too.

Hope departing pax do not take their frustrations out on the corporate Celebrity by being stingy or withdrawing tips.

That would have been a great move, especially given the severity of this situation. Nothing like being on the ground to observe the situation, gather feedback, and be able to address issues.

Probably a bit late now for that to happen though.

He has not even made a statement...I can totally see his style of management...annoyed that the "customer" is upset...

When I called requesting the same thing, they told me no because the beverage package had no monetary value! :eek: :eek: :eek: I told them "Well it does to me, but if that's what you truly believe, then you should have no problems honoring it!"

Right now I'm very DISGUSTED with Celebrity's handling of this whole situation. There so called "compensation" esp for airfare is crap! $200pp only covers the change fees for 1 leg of flights. Like many, I am losing a lot of money. Expenses which are not being covered by their travel insurance. And the icing on the cake is that they won't be crediting or reimbursing the cost of their own insurance even though there is no chance you will be using it!!

I'm with you...we lost $800 in change fees which we cannot get reimbursed for until we "rebook"...seriously this is not good PR...oh right, "Cynthia Martinez" RCCL spokesperson stated they are giving 100% refunds and a "future cruise"...right Cynthia, right...

Mr Bayley has definitely been MIA/AWOL. Maybe he wants to work for Carnival and sit in a special seat at the Miami basketball & football games, while ships flip over in Italy (after promoting a man to Capt/Master from the Security Staff) and triumphantly drift in sewage in the Gulf of Mexico.

I hope there are a lot of questions at the next shareholders meeting and maybe even some shareholder resolutions. This issue needs to be tackled not only in the publicity dept but by pressure on Wall Street marine industry analysts too. (Stock prices & dividends)

Celebrity will be issuing some sort of major announcement shortly (new Captain's Club plans) to divert attention from the Millie.

"See this new, bright and shiny object over here! We'll offer everyone a lobster tail in every pot, so you will forget about how we could have done better by Millie pax in Aug & Sept."

(Clem's woofs are getting very cynical)

Mr Bayley has definitely been MIA/AWOL. Maybe he wants to work for Carnival and sit in a special seat at the Miami basketball & football games, while ships flip over in Italy (after promoting a man to Capt/Master from the Security Staff) and triumphantly drift in sewage in the Gulf of Mexico.

I hope there are a lot of questions at the next shareholders meeting and maybe even some shareholder resolutions. This issue needs to be tackled not only in the publicity dept but by pressure on Wall Street marine industry analysts too. (Stock prices & dividends)

Celebrity will be issuing some sort of major announcement shortly (new Captain's Club plans) to divert attention from the Millie.

"See this new, bright and shiny object over here! We'll offer everyone a lobster tail in every pot, so you will forget about how we could have done better by Millie pax in Aug & Sept."

(Clem's woofs are getting very cynical)

If Mr Bayley isn't there, he can't be asked questions by reporters and passengers...he can't look like there is mayhem and he can only get them in legal or public relations trouble. No doubt he has been told to stay away and make no public comments.

I have a request for Celebrity...I would like it very much if they would stop flooding my e-mail with messages to come and experience modern luxury for a little while.:rolleyes: I tried to, and their ship didn't work!:p

I'd like to lick my wounds for a couple days before I let myself contemplate booking another Celebrity cruise. I'm a little more disgruntled and unhappy about things this morning than I was yesterday -- probably because I was so busy trying to coordinate cancelling and booking stuff yesterday! I'll make decisions for the future after I see how Celebrity responds to all the cancelled and stranded passengers in the coming days/weeks.

I can already state that from my point of view communication is sorely lacking. I found out on Cruise Critic that my cruise was cancelled a full 13 hours before I received direct communication from Celebrity. I had a whole night to think about different options that would work with our schedule. By the time they notified me, I was more than 3 hours into rebooking vacation.

If Mr Bayley isn't there, he can't be asked questions by reporters and passengers...he can't look like there is mayhem and he can only get them in legal or public relations trouble. No doubt he has been told to stay away and make no public comments.
What??? Adam Goldstein from RCI was on the Grandeur after the fire. Seems to me a better idea then hiding.:rolleyes:

Following the Ellen Bettridge of Silversea model about the rotten food and incompetency on the Silversea Shadow and within management. He should take a serious look at how that has worked out for Silversea. Even the 'luxury market' doesn't like being fed rotten fish and knowing the kitchen crew loves their jobs so much they take cheese, cold cuts and dirty utensils to bed with them. Better than teddy bears!

They have had to drop their prices, and are doing pop-ups all over the net to try to fill all the canceled cabins. The sh*t and attitude was so bad the CDC inspectors had to pour full strength Bleach on the rotten food to make sure it wasn't "rescued" after they left. A food sanitation health consultant had to be employed for a full month to change the food handling and sanitary "culture" on the ship.

I consider the Silversea situation worse than the one aboard the Millie. But this doesn't speak well of Celebrity's management. Royal's CEO Goldstein was on the job and location when a ship had a fire in the Caribbean recently.

Bayley may have fewer beans to count after this.

Archived