Friends on Royal Princess - lost power!!

fayfam

Hi

We have friends on the Royal Princess and we received a message from them last night (Aussie time) to say they had lost power. Here is part of their message.

"You would not believe it. We left Athens 4 hours ago and we have lost power! We were having dinner and the lights went out. There are 4 reserve generators onboard and we are limping along using 1. We have limited lights and they have stopped cooking because they have to shut down the extractors so its b****y hot down there. The captain has been on and has stated there is nothing wrong and the problem will be fixed in a few hours. DW just informs me the toilet is not flushing. Thank god the seas are calm."

Let's hope it was fixed quickly. When we finished our conversation they were sitting on their balcony with a bottle of French champagne. :)

Oops! Let us know if you hear from them again and how long it took to get the ship back to full power.

Will do :) if I hear anything more I will post it. As the previous poster has stated, they are cruising at a normal speed now. This happened quite a few hours ago, so hopefully things didn't take too long to get back to normal.

They are also in one of the larger forward Minisuites, so if anyone would like to see photos, let me know and I will ask them when they get back, if I could post some.

Kerry:)

Looking at the bridge cam, looks like MUTS is still running. Some of the deck does seem a bit darker than I remember other nights looking. And, yes, still moving at 20.6 knots. Strange that losing that much power can still let them move along and light a lot of the deck. Keep us posted.

I may have been mistaken about the bridge cam, as it won't refresh now and still shows 18:25 GMT, which I KNOW isn't accurate. So they probably powered down the bridge cam. Hope they get the power back on soon. The passengers have to be getting pretty warm, too. They are still cruising at 22 knots as I write.

Marinetraffic shows that the ship was travelling at 20 knots at 18:13 GMT, then slowed to 10.6 knots at 19:04. At 20:55 the ship was back to 20 knots. So it seems that the electrical issue lasted for about 2 hours.

Will do :) if I hear anything more I will post it. As the previous poster has stated, they are cruising at a normal speed now. This happened quite a few hours ago, so hopefully things didn't take too long to get back to normal.

They are also in one of the larger forward Minisuites, so if anyone would like to see photos, let me know and I will ask them when they get back, if I could post some.

Yikes;

I sure hope the problem is totally resolved by the time we get there.....:eek::eek::eek:

Bob

I would be very interested in seeing photos of the forward mini-suite as I have L107 or 108 (can't remember) booked for next year. Thanks!

The captain has been on and has stated there is nothing wrong and the problem will be fixed in a few hours.

Dumb question of the day:

If there is nothing wrong ... why would it take a few hours to fix it? :confused:

I would be very interested in seeing photos of the forward mini-suite as I have L107 or 108 (can't remember) booked for next year. Thanks!

Hi

I will post some photos when they return. They did mention that their cabin was great.

Dumb question of the day:

If there is nothing wrong ... why would it take a few hours to fix it? :confused:

I suppose its possible that some circuits tripped, and to get them back online they would have to go through a certain routine, in a particular order. If thats the case then they would not just be able to flick a switch.

Just a guess on my side, as no one except the captain and the engineers on the ship would know what happened.

I was thinking similar, especially since she is a new ship design there will be an extensive diagnostic protocol to follow, possibly in consultation with shore engineers.

It could be as simple as someone hearing an odd hum or noise and a generator being taken offline a bit to check it out. Not uncommon with new systems as parts do their initial wearin.

I suppose its possible that some circuits tripped, and to get them back online they would have to go through a certain routine, in a particular order. If thats the case then they would not just be able to flick a switch.

Just a guess on my side, as no one except the captain and the engineers on the ship would know what happened.

DW just informs me the toilet is not flushing. Thank god the seas are calm."

I'm still trying to figure out the connection between these two sentences. I have an unfortunate mental image of a passenger mooning over the balcony rail. [You can figure out the rest.] :eek::eek::eek:

I'm still trying to figure out the connection between these two sentences. I have an unfortunate mental image of a passenger mooning over the balcony rail. [You can figure out the rest.] :eek::eek::eek:

Hilarious! That same thought went through my mind too as I read those sentences. Thanks for the laugh!:D

I assumed the person meant that there wouldn't be seasick passengers throwing up in the toilets. :)

Archived