!! DISNEY DREAM !! To Bahamas ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide

gambee

Great review gambee, I have enjoyed reading all your reviews, and having only cruised DCL, I was wondering how you would like it.

I think you are correct as to why the bars and adult activities seemed under utilized, it seems on the shorter cruises a high percentage of adults on board have kids and are spending time with them in the family venues. I will tell you that on 7 night cruises, especially when schools are in session you will see more adults without kids cruising and so all the adult areas are much busier.

I think you would enjoy the theming of the Fantasy's adult nightclub area better than the Dream's, they don't seem nearly so dark with the exception of the Irish pub on the Fantasy

Thankfully in all my 13 DCL cruises the adult only areas have been strictly enforced by the crew.

Wishing you all the best, and future cruises aplenty!

Gambee -

I've been following your reviews since the Allure (which really enhanced my experience there! Thank You!) but something has been bothering me;

Originally you scored on a 5 point system (1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest.) and gave the Allure a 4.5

Now you're scoring on a 1 - 100% based system. Doing the numbers on that, 4.5 out of 5 is equal to 9 out of 10 -or- 90%, yet on you scored Disney higher with an 89%.

Granted I'm (thus far) a bit of a Royal Caribbean fanboy, and I realize that your reviews are subjective to what you like and are looking for, so I'm not being critical. It was just an observation.

All that being said I'm a fan of your photography, writing style and the majority of your opinions about the lines, you've definitely made me want tot take a second look at Disney.

I hope the cruise lines start sponsoring your trips soon, I'd LOVE to see your review on a Celebrity Aquasuite! :D

If you have kids a Disney cruise is a must, but for adults RCCL is superior. IMHO

Can you expand on that just a little? Never been on Disney; mostly Royal. Really like it. Happy there. But the review of this ship has me just blown away. Looks very enjoyable, really a gorgeous ship. And I'm not a big Disney fan but it just looks like such an experience...

If you have kids a Disney cruise is a must, but for adults RCCL is superior. IMHO

I think it depends on what, as adults, you enjoy.

We've cruised Disney for a while now, and have seen everything from pool games at the adult pool (yes, including wet t-shirt and belly flop) to talks from Imagineers on recent developments at Walt Disney World, with a lot of things in between.

In my experience, the trivia and evening game shows are much better attended on the 7+ night cruises. There are also multiple mixology/tastings offered at a reasonable price, towel folding and cooking demos, DVC/ABD talks (with freebie give-aways), movies (lots of first and second run in the theater - including 3D), and other random events here and there to keep the adults busy while the kids are in the clubs. Plus - characters! A lot of adults enjoy the character meet-and-greets as much as the children do - you don't have to be a child to get a photo with Mickey Mouse, and on the ship I feel much less guilty about taking time away from a child because there are plenty of opportunities!

The shortest we've taken was a 4-night, which in my opinion for any cruise ship is too short to get a good feel for the ship, the activities, and the ambiance. There's so much you miss - not just because of the time constraints on what you can fit into 4 days, but because the shorter cruises take that into account and don't schedule everything available on a longer cruise. I can't imagine sailing any ship for less than 5-7 nights, and would prefer 14 or more.

Yes, we enjoy Disney, but we also love Disney because of the level of service and the way they make everyone feel special on the ship. We're currently booked on a Celebrity S-Class ship for next fall because, from Gambee's review, it sounds very similar from a service perspective (though our DD12 will have a far different experience from what she's used to), but it really sounds like there is also a similar mix of adult activities as well. We've looked at RCI (our first cruise was originally booked on RCI, but then we switched to DCL) and hope to cruise it in the future, but we're more interested in education and relaxing and reading and less interested in rock climbing (though the flow riders look fun!) so I think these more laid-back cruise lines are a better fit for us right now. :D

Conclusion, Rating and Final Thoughts

Food 9/10

The food aboard the Disney Dream was mostly excellent! The buffet is by far the best buffet that I have ever experienced to date of any ship. They offer an incredible amount of options that just make eating every meal in there a very viable option. The food in the MDR was very good, some of it rivaled the food of for fee restaurants of other ships. I can only imagine what the food is like in their specialty restaurants. The room service has a nice menu with good selections, and most of the food was very good, possibly the best I have ever had from room service.

One thing is for sure, you wont go hungry on a Disney cruise. There is just so much food coming from all angles, and so many different choices. I will admit that Disney is the first cruise were I have ever gained weight. I am usually very good when it comes to self control with eating. But Disney proved a real challenge, and I just had to eat more and more. Thumbs up for Disney! Thumbs down for Gambee, as a result I am now on a diet :(

Cabin 9/10

The cabin in the Dream is by far the best cabin I have been in a ship. The split bathroom concept is a really addition that makes traveling with more than 2 people much easier. The decoration of the room follows the Disney concept without overdoing it too much. But it is the minor touches that make the room so comfortable and enjoyable. I also love the curtain that splits the room in half, it is a very nice touch that adds some privacy to those small rooms. The safe is much larger than your average safe, while I did not put my computer inside it, I am still sure that it will fit. There also seemed to be slightly more storage than your average room. You also have to keep in mind that Disney's staterooms are larger than the industry average. The bed was also very comfortable and plush, although the same cannot be said about the pullout bed.

The only reason I am not giving this cabin a 10 is because the bed does not split into 2 beds. That is something that is crucial for me since I mostly travel with my mom and we always get our beds split. But overall Disney did a great job at making a tight environment very comfortable and efficient. I also think I am holding that 10/10 score for when I get to travel on a suite :D.

Cabin TV System & Internet 9/10

The TV system is the best I have ever had on a ship, mainly for the incredible selection of movies at no cost. They could use a little better programming in the non-on demand channels. But honestly if you ran out of movies to watch, the odds are that you never left your cabin on several B2B cruises. Another incredible feature is that they stream the shows live, so if for some reason you're feeling ill or lazy, you can still see all the shows. I am taking a point off because you're not allowed to order room service from the TV system.

The internet was extremely fast, I am not sure if it was because we were docked in Castaway cay, but in any case is the best ship internet I have used. I guess the same argument can be said about the internet on Celebrity while it was on Labadee and I could not even get online…

Pools, Jacuzzis & Adult Only Area 9/10

Scoring this area is rather complicated. Let me start by the adult area, I think this is possibly my favorite adult area. I loved the jacuzzis and how they were open to the side of the ship and they had the glass bottoms. The pool was also very nice, this is by far the cruise that I have used the pool the most. I think it was because of the way the pool is divided into 3 different areas, allowing you to really relax in whatever area you like at that time. Plus the wet bar is a really nice addition to that area. There is maybe a lack of loungers for seadays in that area, but in our case it never proved to be a problem. They also had live music on several occasions, I have never seen live music on any adult area on any other ship. If I was scoring the adult area I think this would be a perfect 10/10. One thing to note is that there is a lack of a covered solarium, so this would not be my ship of choice for a cold weather trip. But then again the Dream is mostly in warm weather.

However the other 2 pools can get very congested, but I guess not so much more than other cruises. It was never an issue for me since I go strictly to the adult area, but I am just pointing out for those with children to be aware off.

Activities (for Adults) 7/10

Lets face it this is a Disney ship, and you can look yourself the amount of activities offered for adults are not that much. I never encountered a problem finding something to do, but then again I am fairly easy to please. Just give me a jacuzzi, a drink, some music, a camera and I am happy. But this might be an issue for some people, specially those on longer cruises. I still think that I would be just fine on 7 day cruise, there is enough for me to do to stay happy an occupied. But I think that overall disney could improve in this area a little more. I think the main problem is that there is not enough adults without kids to do other activities. As proved when we went to the Trivia and it was less than half full or the empty Karaoke.

In any case I am just pointing something out, but I think most people will be just fine. There is certainly enough to keep you happy and entertained.

Shows 9/10

At times I think I should stop reviewing shows since I never see them. But then again as long as I have my mom to review them for me I think I am fine. Both my mom and Sarah said that their shows were extremely well done, from the costumes to the change of sets every so often. I will take it from them that the shows were better than the breakaway, I am not sure why I gave the breakaway 8/10 (it should be less). But I did, so it is far to put Disney a notch above at 9/10.

Bars & Lounges 7/10

Personally I was not a fan of how Disney did the bars on the Dream they are like dark little rooms with few ocean views. I did however like the Skyline lounge & the pool bar in the adult area. So I think this is a fair score, there was really nothing special about the bars on the Dream. I would also like to note that there is a lack of bar environment, mainly because Disney allows to bring alcohol. I kind of think this is something that they thought carefully. Think about it, they want to keep the Disney family friendly concept. If they have a lot of drunk people on bars it would take that a level down. But if people are privately drinking on their own they never get a chance to congregate and get loud and obnoxious. Plus I think most parents are focused on their children, more than anything else.

Ship Decor & Elegance 10/10

Since you walk into the ship you know you're in a Disney ship. The ships has really clean lines, and just the right amount of Disney. The attention to detail is incredible, everything is so bright and colorful, and at the same time it feels like you're on a 5 star resort. This concept follows everywhere in the ship (except the district) and it just flows very well. At night the ship still remains very bright and the pool lighting is done exquisitely, I absolutely loved it! This is one ship that you will love just walking around and noticing all the little Disney details that are slightly hidden from the eye. Add to that the right type of light music in different areas of the ship, and you feel like your in wonderland…

Unique Area - Disney Theme 10/10

The ship does not really have 1 unique area, but you instead have to see the entire ship as being unique! Disney has a specific market that they target, and they deliver an incredible product. In our case we went on a Disney cruise because we love Disney, and as a result you want to feel that you're on a Disney ship all the time. The entire ship is full of unique areas, from the enormous kids club, to the AquaDuck everything follows the Disney concept at a perfect rate. Almost every area in this ship was done differently than all the other ships I have been in. The addition of the Disney element just makes everything so much better.

In addition to that the entire ship is Themed, from the Nemo Buffet, the 3 different MDRs, the pools, the water slide and even some bars. The variation of those themes just makes exploring the ship such a fun thing to do. Next time I go I have to go and play the detective gave so I can experience more of the ship.

Service 10/10

It is fair to say that Disney's service is the benchmark for all the other cruise lines that I have been on. NCL for should be taking notes and putting their employees through a more rigorous process on how to treat customers. I also spoke to a few crew members that all expressed the same feeling, working for Disney has been their best experience in the cruise line industry. Maybe by taking extra care of your staff that shows in how they handle your guests. We never encountered any issues with the staff at all. I also noticed that this cruise never had a line for the customer service desk, and you rarely saw people there. I could not say enough good things about the crew in Disney Cruise Line.

Total Score and Conclusion 89 out of 100

I have admit that I was a little disappointed when I saw that this cruise fell below 90 points, but the scores were fairly given. Even though this cruise was only 3 days long this is my favorite cruise so far and possibly the most memorable one. Disney offers a product that is unraveled by any of the other cruise lines that I have been on. The problem with the Disney cruise is that it comes at a premium cost, but in all honesty I believe the cost is well justified.

To us Disney offered us a different way of cruising, everything was impeccable, and at the same time it was loaded with a fun factor x10. Non other cruise line has yet been able to deliver that for me.

I have a new favorite cruise line, and its Disney Cruise Line! Now don't get me wrong RCCL is still a close second, but Disney just stole my heart. I will be looking for when we are able to do our next Disney Cruise. I would love to go on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise Disney Style, but only God knows if that will be possible and when.

I guess that is it for now. We are not entirely sure when, where or which cruise line will be next. But some good contenders are the Carnival Breeze and Royal Princess, we will see what the future has destined.

Thank you everyone who was a part of this review.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read and comment throughout the review. I had a lot of fun with this review and experimenting with the new cameras.

Until Next time! ^_^

It is odd how walk out of the main entertainment and then give it a 9/10. I understand that you wanted Dsney to be the highest scoring, but shouldn't you call a spade a spade? You did not like the entertainment, score it that way or do not score it.

On a separate note, did you feel the separation of adults areas from kids made you feel like you were on a smaller ship because you did want to be in the mixed areas? I have been having a conversation with friends about this and they say the smaller areas with no kids are better than a ship with just very few kids (like Celebrity). I am interested in trying Disney, but now would rather take a 3 instead of 7 days for this reason and just curious of your thoughts.

Shows 9/10

{ "At times I think I should stop reviewing shows since I never see them. But then again as long as I have my mom to review them for me I think I am fine. Both my mom and Sarah said that their shows were extremely well done, from the costumes to the change of sets every so often. I will take it from them that the shows were better than the breakaway, I am not sure why I gave the breakaway 8/10 (it should be less). But I did, so it is far to put Disney a notch above at 9/10." }

:confused:

]Rock Of Ages on NCL Breakaway was the best show I have ever seen on a cruise 10/10.

Rock of ages was just really boring for me, but then again I don't like musicals. That is why I rate shows based on my mothers opinion.

I LOVED your review Gambee! I think your reviews have to be some of the best that I've read over here on CC. I have been reading your Allure review also and was curious if you rated certain areas of the ship like you did with the Dream? If you did, maybe I just haven't found it yet.

I hope you and your mother have a wonderful time when you embark on your next adventure. Happy cruising. :D

I did, but it is on not on the review. you can find it on my blog http://www.cruisewithgambee.com

I started the rating system after that review.

So I'm now "cruising" through Day 2 of your trip... and if I wasn't such a fan, I'd almost hate you! Why? Because I'm now even more excited about my Disney Dream cruise than I am my Breakaway cruise, which is first! LOL

Watching the vids of the lunch buffet, I'm really taken aback. The food just looks fantastic! I don't remember being as blown away by your various lunches on the Breakaway as I am the ones on the Dream.

I know you spent a lot of time in the adults-only pool area, which is where I imagine I'll spend most of my time. How "adults only" was it? In other words... did a lot of kids wind up invading? I know on some ships, I read about parents completely disregarding the "adults only" rule and bringing their children to the area because it's less crowded.

Richard/Tralfie

I think I wrote it in the review somewhere. Disney is very strict with their rules. The minute they see a kid in there for more than a few minutes, they will be approached and ask to leave the area.

Gambee -

I've been following your reviews since the Allure (which really enhanced my experience there! Thank You!) but something has been bothering me;

Originally you scored on a 5 point system (1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest.) and gave the Allure a 4.5

Now you're scoring on a 1 - 100% based system. Doing the numbers on that, 4.5 out of 5 is equal to 9 out of 10 -or- 90%, yet on you scored Disney higher with an 89%.

Granted I'm (thus far) a bit of a Royal Caribbean fanboy, and I realize that your reviews are subjective to what you like and are looking for, so I'm not being critical. It was just an observation.

All that being said I'm a fan of your photography, writing style and the majority of your opinions about the lines, you've definitely made me want tot take a second look at Disney.

I hope the cruise lines start sponsoring your trips soon, I'd LOVE to see your review on a Celebrity Aquasuite! :D

The point system did evolved into a 10 point system, simply because it was easier for me to grade out a 100% scale. But my thoughts remain the same after the change.

Original 1 out 5 score post

If you look at the first rating I did in the 1 - 5 point system, the Allure scored 50 points out of a total possible 60 points, that gives the Allure a total score of 83.33% and when I switched to the new point system it actually went up by 3% giving it a 86% total, if anything RCCL improved after the change.

I also combined a few of the grading factors and split others. Currently I am happy with my rating system, although I was thinking of changing the BARS section into a NIghtlife. But I guess I will make that decision after my next cruise.

It is odd how walk out of the main entertainment and then give it a 9/10. I understand that you wanted Dsney to be the highest scoring, but shouldn't you call a spade a spade? You did not like the entertainment, score it that way or do not score it.

On a separate note, did you feel the separation of adults areas from kids made you feel like you were on a smaller ship because you did want to be in the mixed areas? I have been having a conversation with friends about this and they say the smaller areas with no kids are better than a ship with just very few kids (like Celebrity). I am interested in trying Disney, but now would rather take a 3 instead of 7 days for this reason and just curious of your thoughts.

If you have read my previous reviews you know that walking out of shows from is very common. Actually a lot of times I wont even go to the shows. The show section score is given by others in my party, I rely on my moms opinion for this part.

Honestly the Dream never felt small to us. I think mainly because of the location of our cabin vs the adult pool area. But I see your point, the does feel sectionalized vs that open feeling that the Celebrity s-class has. I already stated that I am not crazy about that, I like open spaces better. But it did work for us, mainly because I really did not visit those areas that much.

Disney's product is unique, and only you know if you will like it or not. It will be interesting to see how a longer cruise would feel with that kind of setup. While I was not very keen about that, it is the overall product that Disney offers that makes the cruise so special.

I think I am starting to realize that I like different cruise lines for different types of cruises. I honestly think that the ultimate cruise in Alaska and Europe would be on a S-class ship. It is almost like those ships are built for that market. For the Caribbean RCCL, Disney and NCL (if they fix their service). I still have to try a few other cruise lines and will chime on them as I gain personal experience.

Edited by gambee

Thank you everyone who was a part of this review.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read and comment throughout the review. I had a lot of fun with this review and experimenting with the new cameras.

Until Next time! ^_^

[/color]

Whew, I just caught up.

Thank you a whole lot for all of the work that you put in to this trip report and review. I hope that you submitted it to the Cruise Critic member's Review section. It's a must read for anyone considering a Disney Dream cruise.

Edited by Host Mick

Hi all!

Gambee ~ enjoyed your review & amazing pictures as usual. Glad you loved your Disney cruise but you have to try Carnival! How about Nov 3rd on the Breeze or even before so I can read your review before I go.;)

I did a 3 day on Disney Wonder & found it to be good, not my favourite cruise by any means. There were a lot of good points tho' & I enjoyed myself as a solo senior passenger.

~ Jo ~ :)

If you have read my previous reviews you know that walking out of shows from is very common. Actually a lot of times I wont even go to the shows. The show section score is given by others in my party, I rely on my moms opinion for this part.

Honestly the Dream never felt small to us. I think mainly because of the location of our cabin vs the adult pool area. But I see your point, the does feel sectionalized vs that open feeling that the Celebrity s-class has. I already stated that I am not crazy about that, I like open spaces better. But it did work for us, mainly because I really did not visit those areas that much.

Disney's product is unique, and only you know if you will like it or not. It will be interesting to see how a longer cruise would feel with that kind of setup. While I was not very keen about that, it is the overall product that Disney offers that makes the cruise so special.

I think I am starting to realize that I like different cruise lines for different types of cruises. I honestly think that the ultimate cruise in Alaska and Europe would be on a S-class ship. It is almost like those ships are built for that market. For the Caribbean RCCL, Disney and NCL (if they fix their service). I still have to try a few other cruise lines and will chime on them as I gain personal experience.

Your review has certainly made me want to try Disney. I'll wait for the FL discount again. My partner and I love celebrity because the lack of children... Though we want to try Disney. I do not do entertainment either, though oasis/allure was fantastic with its diverse lineup.

I honestly think that the ultimate cruise in Alaska and Europe would be on a S-class ship. It is almost like those ships are built for that market. For the Caribbean RCCL, Disney and NCL (if they fix their service). I still have to try a few other cruise lines and will chime on them as I gain personal experience.

Gambee, you have cruised on four different lines now, I've only cruised on two and happen to be a RCCL fan at this time, yes. I've cruised in Alaska twice, 8 years apart on two entirely different ships and I must say that RCI's Radiance class of ships is perfect for Alaska. The entire class was built with the idea of looking out from the ship. There is so much glass in almost all public areas, it is perfect for Alaska, especially since most of the one-way itineraries (north or southbound) are within the Inside Passage and there are amazing vistas from either side of the ship. Not that I would ever do Alaska without a balcony of my own, mind you, but the scenery is simply put in one word - AMAZING!!!

My daughter has been working as a Youth Counselor on the Dream for the last 2 months. She has shown us some photos, but nothing compares to what you so gloriously gave us.

The quality of your photographs were astounding and the way you carefully cataloged everything for us was spectacular.

Thank you so very much!!

Man, does your review make me want to be at Castaway Cay... NOW! But I must wait until December... of 2014! Sigh.

In looking at your vid of the water slides, it looks as if the family beach at Castaway Cay is MUCH more crowded than the Serenity Bay area. I guess that makes sense, what with the vast majority of people traveling with children...

Richard/Tralfie

My daughter has been working as a Youth Counselor on the Dream for the last 2 months. She has shown us some photos, but nothing compares to what you so gloriously gave us.

The quality of your photographs were astounding and the way you carefully cataloged everything for us was spectacular.

Thank you so very much!!

Please tell your daughter that my DS8 LOVES the youth activities on the Dream. I can't get him to sit through dinner without asking a bunch of times, when is dinner over, when can I go to the kids club, etc. etc. He loves it and the counselors are nothing short of amazing. Job well done.

Gambee, you have cruised on four different lines now, I've only cruised on two and happen to be a RCCL fan at this time, yes. I've cruised in Alaska twice, 8 years apart on two entirely different ships and I must say that RCI's Radiance class of ships is perfect for Alaska. The entire class was built with the idea of looking out from the ship. There is so much glass in almost all public areas, it is perfect for Alaska, especially since most of the one-way itineraries (north or southbound) are within the Inside Passage and there are amazing vistas from either side of the ship. Not that I would ever do Alaska without a balcony of my own, mind you, but the scenery is simply put in one word - AMAZING!!!

You know the reason that I say that the X S-Class ships are perfect, is mainly because of the enclosed solarium. Even on those cold days my mom and I could enjoy the hot tub at a good air temperature. I also think a few HAL ships offer that as well.

I have looked at itineraries before, but I noticed that the one way itineraries usually have high travel air costs. I am not sure I would be able to pull that one off, I might have to start saying for that trip ;)

Thank you so very much!!

Thank you :)

Man, does your review make me want to be at Castaway Cay... NOW! But I must wait until December... of 2014! Sigh.

In looking at your vid of the water slides, it looks as if the family beach at Castaway Cay is MUCH more crowded than the Serenity Bay area. I guess that makes sense, what with the vast majority of people traveling with children...

Richard/Tralfie

You're correct, the family beach was possibly 5-10 times more occupied than serenity bay.

First, I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Milo. We lost our 16-year-old pup this past March. Two months later we lost one of our beloved kitties unexpectedly (who was always attached to me like glue...that was rough). Keeping you in my thoughts through such a difficult time.

Getting back to happier thoughts. Just saw this review and really enjoyed it! Keep an eye out for FL resident rates for the Fantasy. There was recently one for this fall on the Fantasy (although I'm not sure it is still available). If you do book a 7-night and a FL rate comes out after the fact, DCL will allow you to add the FL resident discount to your cruise (the only discount they will allow to be added to a reservation, even after the final payment due date). You can either choose to move to a higher category, or take a refund. We have done it both ways...very seamless process!

Thank you for the awesome photos too...you are quite the talented photographer!

Love DCL. You really need to do the Fantasy. We have done B2B on the Dream and while it was a great vacation 7 nights on the Fantasy blew it away. Completely different feel to the cruise.

You are right about the adult activities however. With so many people there with kids the ships basically shut down by 10-11 pm. On the Fantasy in March there were maybe 6 people in O'Gill's with us at 9 pm and nobody in the other adult areas of the district. Frankly we would have been back in the room at that point but we couldn't get our girls out of the kids clubs. :)

Have Royal booked for next summer going back to Bermuda (LOVE BERMUDA) but would gladly change it to DCL if we could swing it. Sadly it will have to wait till 2015.