transatlantic flights-think I am getting too old

atlantic cruiser

Facing a l4 hr. flight Vancouver to Istanbul via Frankfurt next May. Business class is beyond our budget so would appreciate any flying tips to survive this long flight. We have short connection times but it is still a long way to fly! We did this in 2001 but the years are catching up. Any advice appreciated. Thank you ( p.s. we are 68 and 75)

Take a stopover for a day in the connection city to break up the long flights

Ask at check in if you can upgrade seats ...usually less $ at that point & well worth it ;)

There is no magic pill to flying long haul .....it is a PITA no matter how you do it

Lyn

Facing a l4 hr. flight Vancouver to Istanbul via Frankfurt next May. Business class is beyond our budget so would appreciate any flying tips to survive this long flight. We have short connection times but it is still a long way to fly! We did this in 2001 but the years are catching up. Any advice appreciated. Thank you ( p.s. we are 68 and 75)

Would you be interested in knowing how to get a business class ticket for around $1,000 (0ne way).

If so - send me an e mail to Paulpepper at Comcast dot net and I'll try to explain.

Paul

Stan's dad, who is approaching ninety, always insists on an aisle seat (even IN Business), so that he can easily get up and stretch his legs.

Although he (and his son) are Champion Travel Sleepers, he also asks his doctor to proscribe a single dose sleep aid for each over the water leg of his Transatlantic trips. Apparently, when you ask for a single pill, they are very often dispensed as "samples". Who knew?

That, and stocking up on Audio books to fill those long "darkened cabin" hours are about all that I can suggest-

Happy Travels

Take a stopover for a day in the connection city to break up the long flights

Ask at check in if you can upgrade seats ...usually less $ at that point & well worth it ;)

There is no magic pill to flying long haul .....it is a PITA no matter how you do it

Lyn

Sounds like you are retired so I think the best idea is Lyn's about a stopover for a day. Feel your pain re long haul flights. They are agony!!

I usually bring a small blow up foot rest for the floor, as I am short, which helps take the pressure off of my lower back, and makes me much more comfortable. I get an aisle seat, and I get up to take a short walk and stretch approximately once every 1.5 to 2 hours. I watch a couple of movies to occupy my mind. I usually can sleep a bit, more like naps of 30-45 minutes each a few times. I also usually have a good book on my iPad I've been saving for the trip, and some light reading such as a People magazine, to give me some options.

For a sleep aid, I tend to use something very light, such as Advil PM or Bonine, as these provide just a slight bit of a sleepy feel for me. My experience with Ambien was more disorienting than I was looking for.

I actually find very long flights, 15+ hours, to be easier to settle into, than the shorter long hauls of 8-9 hours.

I use one of those silly neck rings..I helps if you do fall asleep from waking up with a terrible neck pain.

If you can upgrade to Economy Comfort (delta) the seats size is the same as regular coach, but you do get more leg room, which actually helps a lot.

I take either a half a benedryl or bonine. I use Ambien at night, but I would never recommend it if you can not get a full 7-8 hours of uninterupted sleep. You can hardly wake/up and get going, feel very groggy, almost hungover.

Good headphones with an ipod with "easy listening" or classical tunes make me sleep.

I try to time getting up with my seatmate. Causes less disturbance for any around me lucky enough to be sleeping!

I take my ipod filled with my favorite music and noise cancelling headphones that keep it quiet. Aside from reading on the kindle, I also bring along knitting or crocheting - simple things that occupy my mind.

Yes! But I have a problem keeping my electronics charged for that long. Think I'll take a paperback as well when I do Chicago - Hong Kong next spring.

I use one of those silly neck rings..I helps if you do fall asleep from waking up with a terrible neck pain.

If you can upgrade to Economy Comfort (delta) the seats size is the same as regular coach, but you do get more leg room, which actually helps a lot.

All kinds of great ideas here. We used to request adjoining aisle seats, and that made a big difference, but that's unlikely these days--try to get one aisle at least.

Presumably you are flying Lufthansa, which doesn't do Premium Economy I believe. On our upcoming flight to Barcelona, we deviated and asked for an upgrade to PE on British Airways. They call it "World Traveller Plus"--did it last year, and you do get more room, and some upgraded amenities. Not better service, but that's not as important.

Usually if you're doing cruise air, factoring-in an overnight isn't an option, but if you deviate, perhaps it might be. There's a certain point during these trips when you would kill to be able to lie down flat for a while.

I also like a neck pillow, makes a big difference if you do go to sleep. I usually to take a Robax Platinum muscle relaxant--it helps my mild sciatica. I may try a Unisom this time, it's an OTC sleep aid available in Canada--I'm going to try it out before I travel, a half tablet to start.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions to help make this trip more bearable. I am going to include many of them, hoping to start with Paul's air mile plan.! The others are excellent tips as well. Where do you buy a blow up foot rest.That often drives me crazy, not being able to elevate my legs even a little bit. Thanks again for the tips and helpful suggestions. Rhonda

Hi!

If you're flexible with the dates you fly, you can often get a good deal. We're flying business class tonight to Venice and home from Barcelona in business class. The flight tomorrow was $3700 pp roundtrip but because we're flying early, we got business class for $1620 pp. roundtrip-the same price as a coach seat.

Also, taking flights with a break is a great idea. Spend the night at an airport hotel to lessen the amount of time you're flying each day.

Rhea

A/C, being 68 and 75, you're most probably retired. So, why not hook up with a crossing from Miami or FLL. We do that every spring. In 2014, we're doing a Sea Dream crossing from San Juan to Tower Bridge London, then we'll do a river boat cruise and a few other stops before returning home on our favorite airline, Queen Mary 2, Southampton to NYC!

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions to help make this trip more bearable. I am going to include many of them, hoping to start with Paul's air mile plan.! The others are excellent tips as well. Where do you buy a blow up foot rest.That often drives me crazy, not being able to elevate my legs even a little bit. Thanks again for the tips and helpful suggestions. Rhonda

I believe Magellans.com has the inflatable foot rest, and they have lots of other tools to make your flight more comfortable.

But I agree with A Train, take the Queen Mary 2. You will arrive relaxed and th cost is less than flying business class.

Ricki

The footrest I use is the inflatable Business Class Footrest sold for about $30 from Magellans. Travelsmith has one for about $20 that looks very similar.

Hubby and I also use the neck rings - we use the inflatable ones for space saving, and for being able to adjust the firmness.

I know Paul is similar to me in that we both have learned to play the mileage game in spades with vast savings..read free.. I would trust his plan as very realistic as it is very easy to mine miles from program sign ups.

It is very realistic for a normal couple to sign up for several of the airline of choice ( you can do it every 3 mos) and amass almost 200,000 miles. in less than 6 months Move your savings to some brokerage accounts and get more miles. Too you can buy miles for about 3cents @ for up to 50,000 limit.

Buying, that is paying for EVERYTHING from gum to gas and groceries , all normal expenses and one can easily get thousands of miles a month...

You can win big not only now but in the future if you start now and continue to play the miles game.

:D

Picking a credit card issued by a specific airline, I have found, works far better than the "all airline" cards.

To get your best selection of carriers/flights I would switch from Vancouver to Seattle ( a quick train or coach ride) as Canadian flights can be more expensive and restricted.

I would steer clear of taking any drugs to pass the time as most dehydrate you in an already super dry environment. They also mess with your sense of time adjustment. Far better to engineer a 8 to 12 hour stop over, and grab a hotel and a shower

Since you are flying from YVR, take a look at the "Dayliner" flight on AC. It's from Toronto to Heathrow. Leaves at 9:00 a.m. And arrives at LHR at 9:00 p.m. Local time. This will require two airport hotels stops for your trip, but prevents having to try to sleep on a plane. For my money this is a great option. John

Some of these have already been discussed. I have 3M miles and 63+ in age and I am off again this weekend for another 20K in miles.

Pick a plane and not the airline. Make sure you can get 2 across seating. One of you will have an aisle. No one to climb over you to disturb your sleep. Pick the best seats if you can. I use seatguru.com for airlines I don't know.

Don't break up the flight. If you do you will likely have a bigger pain on the next leg.

Try Premium Economy but on on an airline that has extra width seats like BA, KLM, Virgin and others (Delta, UA, AC do not).

Drink plenty of liquids before and during the flight. Dehydration is your worst enemy. If you can bring a 2 liter bottle on board (buy it after security) -- do not trust the flight crews to bring you water. Also avoid alcohol.

Sleep is your friend. If you can arrive tired to your flight that's good you will sleep. I like to use my Bose quiet comfort headsets with nothing playing to cut down on the noise. Besides I seen all of the movies several times already :)

Someone stated this -- but cheap business seats are available. You just have to book in advance -- so a fare specific search on Z fares. Was able to get a round trip business ticket lat year for 2K.

Thanks again for further suggestions. I had thought of a TA over to avoid the flight but none around the time of our cruise. On another thought what is the average time to hear back about an air deviation request with Oceania? Would appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you.

I requested a deviation a couple of weeks ago, and heard back the next morning. I asked for something a little different, and heard back again within a day. I was really happy with the fast responses.:)

If you buy 3 seats in coach for 2 people, it's still a lot cheaper than business class, and you get to stretch out a little.

I subscribe to Chris Elliott's newsletter, and just last week he had a case where a woman had bought 2 seats to make herself comfortable as you suggest, but found out at the gate it wasn't allowed. As I recall, she'd paid with points, and the airline did not want to give her a refund...Chris got involved and she did get them back. I'm curious, Azevedan...have you ever succeeded in doing this?

I subscribe to Chris Elliott's newsletter, and just last week he had a case where a woman had bought 2 seats to make herself comfortable as you suggest, but found out at the gate it wasn't allowed. As I recall, she'd paid with points, and the airline did not want to give her a refund...Chris got involved and she did get them back. I'm curious, Azevedan...have you ever succeeded in doing this?

Did it a few years ago to Australia. DH can sleep anywhere, anytime, so he slept reclining slightly in his seat. I'm much more finicky a sleeper; I stretched out over the other two seats with my head in his lap, and had the best overnight flight ever....with the exception of the 1 time I was able to upgrade to a lie-flat seat! This was in the 'economy-plus' section, btw.

Worries me that others have said they couldn't do it recently....hope they haven't changed the policy.

Try Premium Economy but on on an airline that has extra width seats like BA, KLM, Virgin and others (Delta, UA, AC do not).

KLM doesn't have a premium economy, at least I can't see one on their website. I don't believe Lufthansa has either. Cathay Pacific does, and Air Canada is moving in that direction, I believe.

Archived