Chefs table

cheerldrmom

If interested, you have to board early and call the DINE line ASAP as they only take a max of 12 people. The price is $95 and that includes a 5 course meal and appropriately paired wine with each course. It starts in the kitchen with several appetizers and plenty of champaign. It takes about 3 1/2 hours to get through dinner. I'd advise you to eat a light lunch as there's plenty of food!

You will get a signed copy of Princess' cook book, Courses, and a 8 1/2x11 photo of your group.

I think it's well worth the time and cost to do at least once.

Edited by Treven

Good friends of ours just returned from their very first Princess cruise, a 14 day B2B in Alaska. They did the Chef's Table and insist it is a MUST DO, they absolutely loved it! They were in an oceanview cabin, so it's not just the "suite" people who get chosen. :cool:

I would not have even considered it based on the price and the fact that so few guests can attend, but we'll try to book it for our first Princess cruise next year! :)

Yes! It's a must do at least once experience! I'd heard so much and read so !much and looked at all those wonderful photo's so I was determined to do the Chefs table on our last cruise on the Crown. The first thing I did when we boarded was to call the dine line! My dh thought was a bit obsessed with it but needless to say we got a coveted invite to it! We had the honor of having Alfredo Marzi as our chef. He is head over the Princess fleet and doesn't do it very often. Please try to attend...they have a meeting time before the dinner to go over any allergies they do tell you to wear closed toed shoes. It was kind of funny because I didn't bring any dress shoes with a closed toe so I wore some casual black tennis shoes with my dress pants-not my choice but oh well!

Good luck if you decide to do the dinner!:)

they do tell you to wear closed toed shoes. It was kind of funny because I didn't bring any dress shoes with a closed toe so I wore some casual black tennis shoes with my dress pants-not my choice but oh well!

Good luck if you decide to do the dinner!:)

Thank you so much for telling us! Our cruise will be in the Caribbean, and I would never have thought to bring close toed dressy shoes. Now I will! :)

It seems that the closed toe shoes are up to the chef and maitre'd. We were on the Star in March/April and they did not enforce the closed toed shoes. And I was thankful since I didn't bring any. The Chef's table is expensive, but well worth doing at least once. You will never have such good food or such good service. We loved it. As soon as you get on board and to your room...call and ask to be put on the list. They will let you know if you made the list and when you are scheduled for the dinner.

We have attended many times since the dinner began--I have no idea where the idea comes about who is chosen--Seems to me it is first come first served--can't imagine its a chosen situation--just call as soon as you board--then you, too, can be chosen.!!

Nancy:D:D

Don't forget that since you are cruising Royal Princess it is held every night in the Allegro Dining Room which is aft on Fiesta Deck (Deck 8), and only accessible via the aft stairs or elevators.

Chef's Table Lumiere

8993306641_31bb4cb96b_c.jpg

(Credit Matt Lebbern)

Also, if you don't make it to the Chef's Table Lumiere, there is another fantastic option that I'd easily sign up for called The Wine Makers Dinner.

From Princess Cruises:

The wine-maker's dinner is an event that takes place at least 1 time an evening in the two wine rooms in the Symphony and Concerto dining rooms located just off of The Atrium and Piazza. These areas seat a maximum of 12 passengers and can be configured to accommodate smaller groups. The event is endorsed by wine-makers and includes:

- 4 course meal (tailored to the winery endorsing the event)

- Welcome cocktail (3 cocktail rotation to choose from)

- Glass of white wine (from sponsoring wine-maker)

- Glass of red wine (from sponsoring wine-maker)

- Cover charge $40

And this from the Princess Cruises web site:

Wine Maker’s Dinner– Diners in the Symphony and Concerto dining rooms can enjoy a unique dining experience in a private space inspired by a wine cellar. Surrounded by wine bottles, the circular area, which seats up to 12, offers a distinctive atmosphere for private functions and special celebrations. Wine cellar specialty menus developed in conjunction with noted winemakers have been designed to especially to pair with matching wines. Menu items include classic carved meats such as crown of veal rack, lamb Baron and veal rack a l’Orlov. Cover charge: $40

Wine Makers Table

9261415868_d38785ffab_c.jpg

Princess Cruises

Edited by dmwnc1959

The food is wonderful as are the wines, but if you don't drink, you are spending a lot of money....just something to think about....as there is lots of alcohol.....plus you get a wonderful tour of the kitchens and some great, almost unlimited champagne in the kitchens while having some very special appetizers that were specially made. I have had caviar in tiny stuffed potatoes, (good caviar too), wonder beef tartar......better than what they have in the Elite/Platinum lounge...all kinds of goodies...Oh, one time lobster with caviar....interesting.....darn good food they have cooking for you.....

I know I'm in the vast minority, but I didn't enjoy the Chef's Table. First, I enjoy gourmet food, but the things they offered were really far out and had many ingredients that I don't like so there was very little that I ate. Second, the meats were tough and not full of flavor. Third, the dinner took so long that I was getting very tired and wanted to leave, but since it cost so much I felt like I should stay until the end.

The table was gorgeous, the service was first class and the signed cookbook was nice, but that didn't make it worth spending $65 for (that was the cost for someone who doesn't drink alcohol when the regular price was $75; now they charge $95 :eek:).

Thank you so much for telling us! Our cruise will be in the Caribbean, and I would never have thought to bring close toed dressy shoes. Now I will! :)

We have done the Chef's Table on three different ships (Ruby, Grand, Golden) and have never had the closed toe shoes. We called ahead and told them we only had our dressy heels and were told it was no problem.

Also, the experience all three times was totally different, as was the food served. It all depends on what they want to make. We did not enjoy the experience on the Golden as much as the other two. The head waiter assigned to us was very strange and seemed like he had been drinking. Told strange inappropriate jokes, spilled things etc. It was a weird, uncomfortable experience...

The other two times were amazing.

• 2 months later...
Don't forget that since you are cruising Royal Princess it is held every night in the Allegro Dining Room which is aft on Fiesta Deck (Deck 8), and only accessible via the aft stairs or elevators.

Chef's Table Lumiere

8993306641_31bb4cb96b_c.jpg

(Credit Matt Lebbern)

Also, if you don't make it to the Chef's Table Lumiere, there is another fantastic option that I'd easily sign up for called The Wine Makers Dinner.

From Princess Cruises:

The wine-maker's dinner is an event that takes place at least 1 time an evening in the two wine rooms in the Symphony and Concerto dining rooms located just off of The Atrium and Piazza. These areas seat a maximum of 12 passengers and can be configured to accommodate smaller groups. The event is endorsed by wine-makers and includes:

- 4 course meal (tailored to the winery endorsing the event)

- Welcome cocktail (3 cocktail rotation to choose from)

- Glass of white wine (from sponsoring wine-maker)

- Glass of red wine (from sponsoring wine-maker)

- Cover charge $40

And this from the Princess Cruises web site:

Wine Maker’s Dinner– Diners in the Symphony and Concerto dining rooms can enjoy a unique dining experience in a private space inspired by a wine cellar. Surrounded by wine bottles, the circular area, which seats up to 12, offers a distinctive atmosphere for private functions and special celebrations. Wine cellar specialty menus developed in conjunction with noted winemakers have been designed to especially to pair with matching wines. Menu items include classic carved meats such as crown of veal rack, lamb Baron and veal rack a l’Orlov. Cover charge: $40

Wine Makers Table

9261415868_d38785ffab_c.jpg

Princess Cruises

Dave I am trying to choose whether I do traditional or anytime dining on the Royal. Is the Chef's Table only available if you choose traditional dining and likewise the Winemakers dinner only available to this on Anytime Dining? I really want to do the Chefs Table but probably prefer anytime dining.

Thanks Anne

PS hope your experience is all you expected.

Is the Chef's Table only available if you choose traditional dining and likewise the Winemakers dinner only available to this on Anytime Dining? I really want to do the Chefs Table but probably prefer anytime dining.

You can be in either anytime or traditional to do both of those.

I have experienced the chef's table three times and loved each experience. The change in price will probably keep us from booking it again. I wish there were an option for people who don't need another copy of the cookbook and the photo of the table.

The best part of the experience is meeting with the chef in the galley for hors d'ouevres and champagne. By the time they bring out the main course--the medieval spike with tenderloins of beef, veal, and pork flambeed tableside--I'm full. Go hungry.

Another option for someone wanting to celebrate a special occasion is the ultimate balcony dinner. It's a great experience.

Here is what happened to me

Found out one can not book online.

First thing when I boarded (about 2PM) I called the dine line

They took my reservation

Got a letter in my stateroom saying it was filled up.

At the M&G I talked to the Food and Beverage manager

He said maybe another Chef's table will be scheduled.

Did not happen:mad:

I've done the CT 5 times on 5 different ships thus far, and thoroughly enjoyed it every time. While $95 per person sounds pricey, IMO it is worth every penny because the CT is not just a meal ... it's an elegant experience.

BTW ... someone in a previous post mentioned something about it seeming even pricier if one does not drink wine. You need to know that for non-wine drinkers, the cost is reduced to reflect that. I don't recall how much they take off, but it seems to me it's like $25-30 less than the full price.

Also, I don't care for red wines, and was able to have white wine served to me throughout the meal instead. They are most accomodating to people's needs and preferences.

For one of our chef's table, it was too rough to do the portion in the galley. The maitre d' charged each of us the nonalcohol price, which was $15 less per person. We still got to eat the amazing hors d'ouevres that the chef and his team had prepared, but they were served to us in the dining room before the appetizer. As an extra bonus, our group got to take a private tour of the galley later in the cruise. They included a tour of the stores, which normally only passengers doing the ultimate ship's tour get to see.