Avoid OCEANIA, like the plaque!

LionelFlyer

We have been on several Oceania cruises (one for 35 days), the last one in July. We have another one booked for July 0f 2014. Except for possibly the entertainment and the cost of the excursions, we are very happy with Oceania.

We are not cruise novices as we have cruised off and on for about 40 years, some on ships no longer existing.

My husband commented that on our last Oceania cruise, the food was the best ever.

Please pay no attention to the person who started this thread.

Whenever the ship had to use it's PODS to maneuver at a dock or in a harbor, the entire ship shuttered and dishes fell from the tables on the rear

Too bad it is more of a rant -- (need to add some humor to the review). The OP does have some valid points as others have stated.

Anyone know why this vibration would happen. NO PODS (just a variable pitch prop). We noticed the same thing on the previous leg (Venice to Istanbul). Ship the OP is referring to is Riviera. And the vibration on deck 10 aft could of woke up the dead (or in the case of Brad Pitt could have killed a Zombie)

However I would have to agree with their opinion of the entertainment. Oceania is not known for their evening entertainment. But except for the piano player and the quartet -- what was there was really BAD, awful or worse - could have been on the Gong Show..

There is absolutely no way anyone working on Oceania is going to serve a couple the equivalent a gallon and a half of wine each. If these people were drunk already, consumption on that level would like lead to death from alcohol poisoning. O would definitely not like that. If this person wanted to harm the reputation of O, his attempt has been unsuccessful. In addition to the alcohol fantasy, imagine getting all out of joint because of $100 difference in price. What nonsense.

We must be really easy going then as we have just taken our 1st O cruise (Marina) and absolutely LOVED IT - so much that cruise 2 and 3 are already booked. Perhaps OP should abstain from cruising as it is with any travel, bumps happen. (it's how you recover from them that dictate your travel happiness). O is by NO MEANS anything like what I read in OP's post - in fact it's almost opposite in my experience. If this is genuine then there are one of two problems: 1) You landed on the short end of the stick or 2) you just like to b..... (or perhaps 3 - you live an incredibly privileged life). Either way - see you on board next July (and can't wait!)

My 2 cents. :)

It is total fabrication. The only Oceania ship that has been in the Black Sea this summer is Riviera (twice?). And other than a river cruiser, she was the only ship in port each time. Nautica is there now. No Celebrity ship has been there, although Connie goes next month. No port of embarkation; specialty restaurant not named...And that last line..'make Carnival seem like the old British CUNARD...' what does that mean? EM

It is total fabrication. The only Oceania ship that has been in the Black Sea this summer is Riviera (twice?). And other than a river cruiser, she was the only ship in port each time. Nautica is there now. No Celebrity ship has been there, although Connie goes next month. No port of embarkation; specialty restaurant not named...And that last line..'make Carnival seem like the old British CUNARD...' what does that mean? EM

This was what I thought...... The OP said he sailed on Oceania..... That is not the name of a ship, it is the name of a Shipping Line.

What does that reference to Cunard/Carnival mean?

Doh:p No idea what he means then:confused:

The 282 sq ft cabin is the size on Oceania Riviera Concierge and Veranda cabins.

Kind a funny he brought a tape measure to make sure it was/not 282 sq ft.

He could not have gotten this from the missing cabin steward.:)

WOW. I am a newbee to Oceania; first cruise last March. No matter what cruise line thread you go to there are cheerleaders. Most of my cruising is with Holland America and whenever there is a negative cruise review the flaming begins on the OP. Everyone looks at things differently and if the OP felt they had a miserable cruise, then so be it. I will admit that I have been reading the threads on Oceania for the past year and this was the first bad review I have read.

We found Oceania excellent and have booked three cruises with O in 2014

Maybe we should just wait for the OP to return and comment

in the mean time ...just let the thread die;)

We were not there so maybe he did have a smaller cabin on some ship that was in the Black sea with some drunken passengers & had to tender ashore to avoid them :rolleyes:

One might think that he has been on P&O Oceana and confused it with Oceania the cruise line. That might give more relevance to the Carnival/Cunard reference..But she hasn't been anywhere near the Black Sea either!

Checking his profile, he hasn't visited since he posted, and his favorite cruise line is Royal Caribbean...EM

We are considering sailing with Oceania, and the OP is very disturbing. However, it seems that his experience was unusual, and judging by the response, very unlikely. I cannot believe that in a "speciality" restaurant which has to be booked beforehand, that passengers have to sit with strangers if they don't want to. That wouldn't happen on any cruise ship I have been on. Is this the norm on Oceania's ships?

I noted he did not mention the name of the Oceania vessel. Which ship was it?

:confused:

As far as booking the speciality restaurants(unbelievable food on entire ship, but especially there), when you book, let them know if you want a table for 2 or would share. That is like on other cruise lines-if you want a table for 2, you tell them ahead of time. That first poster has some agenda we will probably never know about and probably not along the theme of all the good things about CC. You will love Oceania!

let us be extremely severe :

- Oceania is not single minded , the drinks and excursions are expensive and the wine list is rather inconsistent , what i do not understand in view of the serious amount spent on the food ingredients.

i really cannot believe all those items explained on the thread are true

what is very true that every cruise company - also in the better segment has nice items and not so nice items.

Actually - if you think about it, it turned out to become a cheerleading act. One post - dozens of affirmations/praise posts in response. I'd say the truth always wins out. :)

Very true. Oceania in not perfect but better than most of the rest. No change for us.

We just returned from our first cruise with Oceania. We are already looking at another one for 2014. It was the very very best we ever had and when I read the comments I just could not believe they were about Oceania.

EVERYTHING was perfect on our cruise and those things which we did not like so much - like the size of our Concierge level cabin on Nautica - was something we knew about beforehand as it was just exactly as described in the brochure.

As a big veteran of ONE cruise, with Oceania, I find the original post bashing the line as so over the top as not to be credible.

We all know people who look for the worst in life and will nitpick perfection to death. But a cruise where everything possible goes wrong? Even Carnival does some things right - until the power fails. :rolleyes:

There are enough posts above from experienced cruisers for me to simply read the original piece of toast and order a second Irish... coffee. Regardless of time of day.

Me an' ol' W.C. to the end! :D

JMBobB

Re the restaurants, sometimes you can't get the dining time you want for a private table (you've signed up too late). If that happens, it's just an opportunity to meet some other people - so sign onto a table for 6 or 8! But we went on our first Oceania cruise this spring, LOVED IT, we're going on a back to back in 3 weeks and are greatly looking forward to it. Some of the entertainment was better than others, but there are lots of options - if you don't want the show, go listen to some music in one of the lounges.

Archived