Benefits/gift from TA

Jimosprey

Since the brand-new cruise itineraries include pre-paid gratuities & internet if

booked by 12/31/13, what benefits/OBC are reasonable to expect from your TA based on $8000 x2 (for a couple) cruise fare? This is a TA who has gotten prior business from us (not just Oceania). Thank you.

Since the brand-new cruise itineraries include pre-paid gratuities & internet if

booked by 12/31/13, what benefits/OBC are reasonable to expect from your TA based on $8000 x2 (for a couple) cruise fare? This is a TA who has gotten prior business from us (not just Oceania). Thank you.

I thiink one person, rallydave wrote that some agents get a 17% commission. so if your laying out $16,000 that around $2700 comission however comission is figured on the net, minus air and tax and other costs. Just a guess but proably the comissionble is based on around 13,500.

How you want to divide that up is bettween you and the agent 50%50 , 60/40% 75/25,%.... its your call as to what.

Bear in mind that you will in the beginning pay the full adverticed rate. What happens next is up to you.... there is no regular expectation... thats up to you

You can expect whatever you like but what your TA is willing to give you is another matter

I would ask your TA what they are willing to give as perk if in the past you received the PPG from them

Then go from there

If it is important to have more perks then shop around until you find a TA willing to give what you want

Others will disagree

JMO

Lyn

rallydave wrote that some agents get a 17% commission

Let's remember that 17% is the top rate paid to the highest level Agencies.

Further, that figure only truly applies if your Agent is the owner of the Agency.

Otherwise, the specific Agent will receive somewhere between fifty and seventy five percent of that 17%.

Please figure your demands, based on these amended figures.

Let's remember that 17% is the top rate paid to the highest level Agencies.

Further, that figure only truly applies if your Agent is the owner of the Agency.

Otherwise, the specific Agent will receive somewhere between fifty and seventy five percent of that 17%.

Please figure your demands, based on these amended figures.

Nice try JimandStan; while your statement about what the agent receives may be true, it is the agency itself and not the agent personally who will determine the amount of any rebate. Never said that the agent gets the 17%, it is the amount paid by the cruise line to the agency. Have never booked with the owner of the company to get rebates so it is totally irrelevant how much the agent really gets.

Obviously, with any rebate to the customer, the agency as well as the agent have their money reduced. Don't expect that the full rebate will come from the agent.

Bottom line, to the OP, no need to refigure your position regarding rebates

Sometimes when I read these posts it seems like going on vacation is like buying a car. I use the line so I do not have to go to a middle man each time I have a question or a change. I do not feel that I need a someone to represent me to the line as I have taken 30+ trips and never had a problem. If I need help the line is there seven days a week, some 24 hours a day. Yes I could of lost some OBC or a few bottles of wine but as far as the bottom line is concerned it like buying a car, smoke and mirrors. The TA is in business to make money, if they give away there commission or most of it who pays the rent?

I will say this one last time

Even IF the agency gets 17% they are in business to make money

They pay bills they have to pay a fee to consortiums to get better commission rates

Not ALL rebates or perks come from the agencies/cruise lines some TA's actually give up some of their Commission to keep their clients

Keep that in mind when you are badgering your travel agents for more perks

They pay other fees in order to operate a travel business

It all costs

Some clients are demanding rebates,discounts etc or they will take their business elsewhere

I say GO then

TA's work for money to feed their families & have a place to live just like everyone else

Some TA's only work for commission some get a salary some get both depending on how they set it up with the owners

I am happy with my TA's & anything they give me, I get good service

I know from personal experience that it is very important to provide good service or you lose your clients

Lyn

Nice try JimandStan; while your statement about what the agent receives may be true, it is the agency itself and not the agent personally who will determine the amount of any rebate. Never said that the agent gets the 17%, it is the amount paid by the cruise line to the agency. Have never booked with the owner of the company to get rebates so it is totally irrelevant how much the agent really gets.

Obviously, with any rebate to the customer, the agency as well as the agent have their money reduced. Don't expect that the full rebate will come from the agent.

Bottom line, to the OP, no need to refigure your position regarding rebates

Please don't throw those Bottom Lines around so easily, Dave, as I believe that your advice, though Penny wise is Pound foolish.

The type of extreme completely mercenary negotiation that you describe, may work to the buyers advantage in a one time, geographically sensitive Agency such as Real Estate; but cannot support a long term business relationship such as many of us need to maintain with our Travel Agents, particularly if they have achieved "most favored nation" status with our Cruise Line of choice.

For the same reason that one may approach tipping differently with a server in an occasionally patronized restaurant versus a Barber; taking all of the money off the table is oftentimes short sighted.

They pay bills they have to pay a fee to consortiums to get better commission rates

Not ALL rebates or perks come from the agencies/cruise lines some TA's actually give up some of their Commission to keep their clients

It all costs

Some clients are demanding rebates,discounts etc or they will take their business elsewhere

I say GO then

TA's work for money to feed their families & have a place to live just like everyone else

Some TA's only work for commission some get a salary some get both depending on how they set it up with the owners

I know from personal experience that it is very important to provide good service or you lose your clients

Lyn

Well said Lynn, I want our TA to do well and remain in business. We're thankful for any extras we get but know there's so much more to it than that.

I know what it's like to have a good agent, and I know what it's like to use bad agents. I have a feeling those that think they're just as well or better off booking directly with the line have never really had a good agent.

I'm also curious if those that are willing to negotiate so heavily with the TA's also do that on all their other purchases. I always have on cars, because that's the way they set up the game, and real estate, but generally as a rule I don't do this with my Doctor, or at the dept store, or restaurants, etc., well you get the idea:rolleyes:

JimandStan and Lyn,

Am in total agreement with needing good service from my TA, paying a fair and reasonable price for my cruise, not nickel and diming them to death with negotiations and leaving them enough money to pay their bills and make a fair profit.

That being said, did NOT enter into any negotiations to get the great rebate and customer service. My TA includes the rebate in his business plan and offers it without any negotiations at all. They are also part of a consortium that provides benefits for some cruises. They are a thriving brick and mortar company also doing business on the web with about 20 agents and not in any danger of going out of business using their excellent business plan that provides great prices to their customers and fair and reasonable profits to the agency and the agents.

Am sure that not every TA can provide great service and great pricing so yes, to negotiate an agency to the barest profits isn't good for anyone so anyone who enters into negotiations with their TA should beware as stated by JimandStan but, there are TA out there, more than just the one I use who provide excellent rebates while also providing excellent service and staying in business while making reasonable profits. Just have to find the right TA and not try to negotiate a TA barely making a living to the bottom line.

When asking or dealing with an agent for consideration, factor in the fact that it takes no more work for a $25,000 cruise as it does for a $5000 cruise.

Dealing with the cruise line is like going to buy a car or house at full retail sticker price just because it is easy.... and giving the company an extra 15% to 17% profit. They will love you over payments.

As to the agent has to feed his family and make a living comment, so too do we as customers. Its a two way street.

As to the agent has to feed his family and make a living comment, so too do we as customers. Its a two way street.

You would be surprised at the number of TA's that cannot afford a cruise even with agent rates ;)

It all costs

I say GO then

Lyn

+1 - couldn't agree more. Can't think of a single thing to add :D

Sometimes when I read these posts it seems like going on vacation is like buying a car. I use the line so I do not have to go to a middle man each time I have a question or a change. I do not feel that I need a someone to represent me to the line as I have taken 30+ trips and never had a problem. If I need help the line is there seven days a week, some 24 hours a day. Yes I could of lost some OBC or a few bottles of wine but as far as the bottom line is concerned it like buying a car, smoke and mirrors. The TA is in business to make money, if they give away there commission or most of it who pays the rent?

An OBC can be THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on some cruises.

Are you really willing to lose that by booking directly?

Not me.

My TA routinely takes care of his clients and provides great amenities and great service. That's his business model -- repeat business and referrals.

He makes money -- I get perks -- win/win

Booking directly with the cruise line is a form of insanity IMO. You are not losing $50 and a bottle of wine! The loss is substantial (even without the benefit of the service)

You must have a very generous TA :rolleyes:

I am not the only one - there are many out there.

I have compared notes with fellow cruisers

High volume TAs who specialize in a particular cruise line can afford to give you way more than average (within O's guidelines). Volume and referrals are key. I like the business model. Works for me and the TA.

You would be surprised at the number of TA's that cannot afford a cruise even with agent rates ;)

For the countless Ferrari salesmen who can not afford just a simple GT350 my heart bleeds. And lets not even think about the poor Gulf Stream or Boeing salesman.

Too there are a lot of people who work as fast food places that can not afford a cruise. I doubt that many in the Sudan can afford a cruise likewise

Not everyone can do everything- they want when they want...they can like all free people, however, work for it an earn to the best of their ability.

, Everyone has the opportunity to succeed and aspire to heights limited only by their drive, dedication and intelligence.

What you pay for ANYTHING is a business decision.

Why wouldn't any traveller want to get the best deal possible? (assuming great service, of course)

I don't want to get a $200 OBC when my fellow passenger in the same type cabin is getting $800 -- just to make sure my travel agent can make a living.

If he can't make a living it is HIS problem, not mine.

BOttom line -- find a TA who can take good care of you AND make a living. That's a successful TA IMO.

What you pay for ANYTHING is a business decision.

Why wouldn't any traveller want to get the best deal possible? (assuming great service, of course)

I don't want to get a $200 OBC when my fellow passenger in the same type cabin is getting $800 -- just to make sure my travel agent can make a living.

If he can't make a living it is HIS problem, not mine.

BOttom line -- find a TA who can take good care of you AND make a living. That's a successful TA IMO.

I am in the same boat, er, ship with you.:D

My agent recognizes I take regular high end cruises a month or more in length. We have been working together for years. I find the cruise, cabin all the details and he facilitates...it is a team effort. An effort that deserves consideration as it is work he does not have to do. :rolleyes:

And you are right, it can and does mean thousands difference.

Sometimes I cannot believe the greed that exists on these boards. If you don't want the services provided by a good TA and are not willing to pay for it then book on the internet and do not complain when something goes wrong and there is no one to fight for you.

Sometimes I cannot believe the greed that exists on these boards. If you don't want the services provided by a good TA and are not willing to pay for it then book on the internet and do not complain when something goes wrong and there is no one to fight for you.

Where's the greed?

We don't "pay" anything for these services.

We actually get a benefit (and so does the TA in the form of a commission).

Not sure I understand your post.

Where's the greed?

We don't "pay" anything for these services.

We actually get a benefit (and so does the TA in the form of a commission).

Not sure I understand your post.

What special service? a phone call or 2, an IATA number. Thats all the service I have ever needed. I find the cruise, pick the details all I need as I said before is a person who is a facilitator. We both win :D

Now, you could call the agent greedy in that for less than an hour of his time, he makes a 5 figure sale which will earn him well over several thousand dollars. Not many folks I know make $2000+ an hour.. You may think thats a raw deal...he dosen't and shows his appreciation for such a sweetheart deal.

I agree for the most part, however you get what you pay for and you always can buy the cruise from whoever you want. Your the buyer it's your choice, why all the fuss. I'm sure the more you cruise, the higher end cabins you'll get what you should--if not move on, it's your choice. The grass can always look greener, but really is it.

Rick

Sorry, It is not greed, but just good business. If two stores have the same product and one selling it for 5% less where would you shop. I know where I would go. :)

I shop in our local hardware store not the big box store because of the local service and quality difference in many of the products sold there. Yes, some stuff I buy on line but surely not much of the big things. I've noticed the lawn tractor might have the same manufacturer, but the unit is of noticeable different quality in each location. Manufacturers make competitive priced units for the big box stores, online and outlet stores. (same goes for name brand "factory outlet" stores). Cosmetically they appear similar. If the unit needs service, parts or maintenance it is done by a neighbor not some huge out of town corporate entity. If we don't buy locally all the small businesses eventually disappear. You know what comes next. Lots of minimum wage jobs.

Our travel agent takes her cues from our likes and needs. Yes, we pick the trips and the dates, she puts it all together. The price is the same for the cruise if we booked directly with the line. She makes sure nothing goes awry. The percentage she and the agency earn as far as we are concerned is well worth her time. If it weren't or if she screwed it up we would do it for ourselves.

Archived