Alaska advice

tteettimes

never been to AK......need to decide things you already know....so please help

Q1---leave from Seattle or Vancouver ?

Q2----port or starboard ?

Q3---- any "do not miss ports or excursions"?

Q4-----is "whale watching" a reality ?

Looking at July 4 Solstice and Century June 29------any itin preference ??

Any positive response is apreciated

Whale watching is great. We have done a tour in Sitka and 2 times in Juneau. We've seen lots of whales and would do it again. :)

1. Advantage: Vancouver, for much more scenic sailing east of Vancouver Island. For cheaper flights, fly to Seattle and take train or bus to Vancouver.

2. Neither one matters to me, as we always get an inside cabin. If we want to see outside, we just go out on the deck.

3. Depends on your budget. Excursions go from $0 to > $600 pp. I think there are no "can't miss" (double negative!) excursions or ports, i.e., all can be missed or substituted. The problem is that all the ports are good, so you have to miss something. The excursions can be skipped because we can always go hiking for fun and scenery.

4. Whale watching is great in Juneau or Icy Strait Point.

5. Century itinerary is the winner. Vancouver round trip has more scenic sailing. Probability of viewing glacier is higher with Hubbard on Century vs. Sawyer on Solstice. Port times are generally longer on Century. Find out first what you want to do in each port and whether the port times fit your plans. Then, after you've done that, pick the itinerary that allows you to do your planned activities.

july 4th in a port is great fun, was in Sitka and the whole town came out for the parade, fireworks were july 3rd due to how late it gets dark.. Some folks did a wet suit snorkel and raved about it it was a celebrity tour. yes you will see whales but not like the show on TV usually it is a quick glimpse.

Q1---leave from Seattle or Vancouver ? Vancouver

Q2----port or starboard ? it doesn't really matter

Q3---- any "do not miss ports or excursions"? Trip to the White Pass summit by train or bus or combined . Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier

Q4-----is "whale watching" a reality ? yes sometimes right from the ship

Everyone who answers will have their own recommendations. In late June or early July you'll have about 18 hrs of daylight . You'll probably see many whales as you travel between the ports.

Fly t

o Seattle. Take Quick bus the next day. If you are determined to fly to Vancouver, consider staying at the YWCA-no kidding! Check it out on tripadvisor.

Our recommendations for ports:

Juneau. Whale watching with Captain Larry (Orca Enterprises). Arrange for them to drop you off at Mendenhall Glacier and take the bus back to town.

Skagway, Rent car and drive to Emerald Lake. Google Murray's Guide

Ketchikan. Float plane to Misty Fjords. Recommend Island Wings or Carlin Air. Alternate plan is the deadliest catch boat.

Icy Strait. Bear watch with Trekk enterprises.

At the glaciers, get out on deck.

If you go to Victoria, you can take the local bus to Butchardt.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

You already have lots of advice, but I wanted to add a few visuals for you...

Yes, whale watching is a "reality":

9191370473_e73fbba252_c.jpg

DSC_0375 by suegee57, on Flickr

9194193120_ba50763543_c.jpg

IMG_0685 by suegee57, on Flickr

If you do decide to go with a balcony, consider one on the stern:

9190498121_3118d4cf90_c.jpg

IMG_0697 by suegee57, on Flickr

A simply beautiful place - however you do it, be sure to explore from the ports:

9194922474_5202da493a_c.jpg

IMG_0718 by suegee57, on Flickr

9195068176_36c5dc62b1_c.jpg

DSC_0416 by suegee57, on Flickr

9193211667_da1c1785f2_c.jpg

IMG_0736 by suegee57, on Flickr

Have you considered a one-way cruise so that you can explore some of inland Alaska, either on a cruise tour or DIY?

We loved it so much we will definitely be back!

Just got back from Alaska last week. It was our first time and I looooved it!

1. We left out of Vancouver. Got in 2 days early to explore and glad we did. Beautiful city! Very pedestrian friendly! We got our hotel on Hotwire. Did 4 stars and got Coastal Coal Harbour Hotel for $125/nt. Very close to the pier. You could walk but we took a taxi for under $10--didnt feel like lugging luggage for 3 blocks.

2. Port. The ship will turn around so both sides can see but port side sees everything first.

3. It really is up to you. For me whale watching was the highlight!

4. YES, YES, YES! We used Orca Enterprises because Harv & Marv's were booked. We had a great experience with Capt Larry. It's a slightly larger group (approx 30 people) than Harv & Marv. We saw over 50 whales. Some were about 5 feet from the boat! So, so awesome to see these beautiful creatures! Even my husband who is not a big nature lover was in awe!

The one way out of Vancouver is a fantastic itinerary, and if you can spare a few extra days, make a trip to Denali. You don't need to do a cruise tour, it's easy to DIY. I took this trip last summer and it was fantastic (and my intro to Celebrity)!

We were in Alaska this year in late may.

We had still a lot of snow on the hills but had sunshine and could wear T-Shirt the whole day.

Icy Strait and Seward we had a lod of whales. We could see them from the ship and also made a day trip.

I think there is no perfect time in the year because every month have something special.

I would go there again in a heartbeat !!!

DSCN0686.jpg

WAL_7237.jpg

WAL_7386.jpg

DSCN0686.jpg.68ba56041b4f56fac0c243f9c33d0f54.jpg

WAL_7237.jpg.b71da1874925673f71292220e7b8bb1a.jpg

WAL_7386.jpg.6ee4b6a057b57ec3b8f3c6a2c71a205e.jpg

A1 --- Either. Both are beautiful cities to visit. And I wholeheartedly recommend you consider adding 2-3 days before or after your cruise to sightsee either of them.

A2 --- Port side, especially as you head north, affords you the better opportunity for whale watching. Starboard side you're very likely to see Dahl's dolphins playing along side of the ship in the wake. Both sides give you a view of flora and fauna.

A3 --- In Skagway, there's the White Pass train, which is awesome. In Juneau there are helicoptor tours that'll take you to Mendenhall Glacier to walk on the glacier, I recommend that you do NOT take an early morning tour, but one later in the day. Fog usually causes cancellations before 10:30.

A4 --- YES, a 100% a possibility. I've been to Alaska twice and I have seen whales both times. Once on a Whale Watching tour (which recommend) and both times from the ship itself. (Granted, both times it was with Carnival, but they have no control over what you can see! ;) )

Now for more, if you take the July 4th cruise on Soltice, check to see if there is an excursion that will take you off the ship on to a smaller boat when you're in Tracy Arm Fjord. On my last Alaskan cruise, Carnival offered this, but I have no idea about Celebrity. (I would assume yes.) If Celebrity does offer it, DO IT. Being a smaller boat as it sails deep into the fjord to see both ends of Sawyer glacier was the best part of ANY cruise I have ever taken. Period.

We were on the Millennium cruise that got stuck in Ketchikan so I cannot address all your questions.

Q1 - We got to Vancouver 2 days in advance. We found HOHO groupon that saved us a bunch. Clearing customs at the Vancouver airport was fairly painless. The taxi ride to the hotel (Hoilday Inn) was about CN$35. There's a coffee shop on just about every corner.

You will clear US Customs before you board the ship. This can be congested if more than one ship is departing the same day at nearly the same time. With that being said, the checkin process after customs was some of the smoothest we've experienced.

Q2 - Our cabin was on the port side. Didn't seem to make a difference, both sides were beautiful. Grab a seat in the Sky Observaton Lounge and watch the world go by. You will see whales.

Q3 - It's been mentioned but a Float plane out of Ketchikan is something you will always remember. We flew with Island Wings - Michelle is great. And that's as far as we got until they loaded us on a plane for Anchorage. A note on Anchorage. If you go there you may want to consider staying away from the downtown area. It's not that it's bad or seedy. In the summer it is packed with tourists. The hotels are a zoo and the restaruants are packed. Also be prepared for sticker shock when buying a meal.

Have a great vacation.

YES THANK YOU my CC friends

So much info .....much appreciated.....looks like Solstice again for us ...we really love "S" class and it's cheaper and easier and we have a cabin of our choice again....."happy cursing to you all :)

Seriously, since you're going to be sailing from Seattle then, I REALLY recommend that you do a pre- or post-cruise stay over of at least 3 days. And if you DO decide to do that, do your best to stay at Inn at the Market. it's a tad on the pricey side, BUT it's in the center of all you'd want to do. Plus it's half a block from Pike Place Market. And there's an awesome little cafe less than a block down 1st Avenue from the hotel (corner of Stewart and & 1st) called Biscuit Bitch at Caffe Lieto. (YES, that is the name.... :o )

Have fun! :)

We just took our 7th cruise up to Alaska -- sept is our month of choice -- ah, few kids and the beginning of sept has great prices and usually excellent weather.

We prefer the S class over the Century -- love that indoor pool up in Alaska.

If there is one place to splurge on a balcony, it is Alaska. The balcony rooms are more affordable on the S class.

Whale watching is fantastic up in Alaska -- you may not even have to pay extra for an excursion. On our last cruise up there just a few weeks ago, we were in the Tuscan Grill for lunch on our last day of the cruise. I had just commented to my DH that this was the first time we hadn't seen whales from the ship (we didn't take any excursions). During dessert, a pod of whales started playing in the wake -- so 7 for 7 so far.

For a really huge treat, Icy Strait Point has amazing whale watching -- but on an excursion. We were even lucky enough to see a grizzly.

I think both cruises would be special but I would only consider a ship with an indoor pool area for Alaska -- especially if you are not getting a balcony cabin.

Celebrity is good for many itineraries, but they are weak in Alaska [and Panama Canal round trips, where they don't do the Gatun locks].

To see Alaska at its best, you should take Coral or Island Princess one-way cruise Anchorage (Whittier)/Vancouver.

These cruises include Glacier Bay, which is the absolute best stop for Alaska cruises.

These ships include the best viewing options: a full Promenade deck, which is never crowded; 2 public forward viewing balconies (which have been turned into cabin balconies on most newer cruise ships); and 4 public aft viewing balconies (likewise cabin balconies on newer ships) -- plus the usual top deck viewing opportunities.

Save money on an Inside Cabin on these ships and then dine in the specialty restaurants (or take expensive flightseeing excursions) with your savings.

I could not agree more with the suggestions that you take a one-way cruise that either starts or ends in Alaska, so that you can spend time in the interior. An Alaskan cruise is great, but it doesn't hold a candle to what you would see on land. Even with one day in Seward, you can literally walk up to Exit Glacier, and you can take a boat tour of Kenai Fjords National Park, where you'll be on a small boat seeing glaciers and wildlife up close and personal in a way you won't on a cruise ship. There's also Denali National Park, of course, and so much more.

No need to pay for a cruise tour on land, either --it's easy to drive around yourself in Alaska, as there are not that many roads!

Celebrity is great, and I love the S-class ships as well, but I would pick this trip based on itinerary and not cruise line, and really try to spend time in the state before or after (assuming you have that time, of course).

I am looking at the same for next year...a toss up between the solstice and the Century. We are looking at May and end of August/first week in September. Would like to do later in the year so we can use the labor day holiday vs. vacation time since we would have to fly on Thursday for a Friday Solstice cruise.

Is September usually a good time to go?

Thanks!

[This is what Cruise Raider thinks about September....but any month can probably be iffyQUOTE=Cruise Raider;40128451]We just took our 7th cruise up to Alaska -- sept is our month of choice -- ah, few kids and the beginning of sept has great prices and usually excellent weather.

We prefer the S class over the Century -- love that indoor pool up in Alaska.

If there is one place to splurge on a balcony, it is Alaska. The balcony rooms are more affordable on the S class.

Whale watching is fantastic up in Alaska -- you may not even have to pay extra for an excursion. On our last cruise up there just a few weeks ago, we were in the Tuscan Grill for lunch on our last day of the cruise. I had just commented to my DH that this was the first time we hadn't seen whales from the ship (we didn't take any excursions). During dessert, a pod of whales started playing in the wake -- so 7 for 7 so far.

For a really huge treat, Icy Strait Point has amazing whale watching -- but on an excursion. We were even lucky enough to see a grizzly.

I think both cruises would be special but I would only consider a ship with an indoor pool area for Alaska -- especially if you are not getting a balcony cabin.

Seriously, since you're going to be sailing from Seattle then, I REALLY recommend that you do a pre- or post-cruise stay over of at least 3 days. And if you DO decide to do that, do your best to stay at Inn at the Market. it's a tad on the pricey side, BUT it's in the center of all you'd want to do. Plus it's half a block from Pike Place Market. And there's an awesome little cafe less than a block down 1st Avenue from the hotel (corner of Stewart and & 1st) called Biscuit Bitch at Caffe Lieto. (YES, that is the name.... :o )

Have fun! :)

I second the recommendation to stay at Inn at the Market. They have an awesome rooftop deck with a view over the market and Elliot Bay.

We went on Century last year and whilst we agree with the comments about the indoor pool being great on Solstice we were lucky enough for it to be so hot we spent our sea days toasting by the outdoor pool! On century the entertainment was exceptional (the best we have ever had by a long way) we were disappointed by the entertainment on Equinox this year in comparison and made that point in our questionnaire

We also found the food in the Lido and aqua spa far superior on Century to Equinox. We loved Century and would go again in a breath!

Archived