What are folks wearing to dinner lately?

dawei

I've read some of the many observations on the subject of dress code, but many are now older posts. With four formal nights and 10 smart casual nights on an upcoming Eurodam Caribbean, it would be helpful to know what these really mean and therefore what to pack.

Guess I should mention that it's been some years since our last HAL cruise--when I wore a tux and she wore sparking long gowns on formal nights. P.S. (Sorry to bring up this old subject again)

For over 20 years, DH wore his tuxedos and white dinner jackets and I wore long gowns and sequins and the most formal dresses. No more.

DH now wears dark suit and I wear cocktail dresses.

We started noticing so few people were truly dressing formal anymore, HAL reduced their description of dress code for formal to the lowest possible level and we abide by their wishes. They define minimal for formal is jacket/trousers and tie for gents and appropriately same level of dress for the ladies.

On smart casual nights, DH wears dress trousers and sport shirt or dockers and golf jersey/polo and I wear skirt of slacks with nice tops.

If we are dining in Pinnacle on smart casual night, DH often wears a blazer with sport shirt/polo but rarely a tie.

Hope this helps.

You can never go wrong, be "over" dressed, or "under" dressed, by simply following HAL's recommended dress code:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

I still take my Tux. Although one could make a case that more men now wear suits (or even sports jackets) the reality is that packing my Tux is no different then packing a suit. And why not wear the formal wear since I have it?

Hank

I've read some of the many observations on the subject of dress code, but many are now older posts. With four formal nights and 10 smart casual nights on an upcoming Eurodam Caribbean, it would be helpful to know what these really mean and therefore what to pack.

Guess I should mention that it's been some years since our last HAL cruise--when I wore a tux and she wore sparking long gowns on formal nights. P.S. (Sorry to bring up this old subject again)

For formal evenings DH wears a dark suit, white shirt, tie. I wear a cocktail dress OR floor length skirt and evening-type top usually.

For smart casual DH usually wears khakis/Dockers with a casual shirt (cotton or linen) and I wear nice pants (linen or silk usually) and coordinating top, or sometimes a flowy skirt (cotton, linen or silk) and top.

edited to add: I included the fabric info to give to your wife ;)

On formal nights, for men you will see more sport coats and suits than tuxedos. There is anecdotal evidence that more tuxedos are worn in fixed seating than open seating. I wear a sport coat and tie on formal nights. For me, it is easier to simply wear the sport coat on the plane, rather than to pack it.

On smart casual nights, slacks and open collar shirt are the norm for men.

The main dining room manager may, or may not, enforce the suggested dress code. As a result, for men on formal night, you may see folks in sport coats, but no tie, or a tie, but no sport coat. You might also see men with simply a collared shirt and slacks. A lot of it seems to depend on the length of cruise, and itinerary.

Generally I'm not fond of the comment to do a search but I think it is fitting in this case. I did a search and it brought up several recent posts about the dress code so I'm puzzled by the OP's comments.

It is interesting how 2 people can read the same post, and get a different meaning. My understanding is that the OP wanted to know if people still wore tuxes/seriously formal wear nowadays.

I would say cruises are not as formal as they once were. At least this has been my experience on HAL. On the fashion boards, people still post pictures of gowns. I rarely have seen them on Prinsendam, or tuxes for that matter. The majority wear a jacket and tie. On informal nights some men will wear a jacket, but it's not the norm. The women don't dress up much. The ones who wear dresses stand out, because most are wearing pants! Just my observation from our last cruise. People can wear what they like, as long as it's within the code. Even jeans (which we haven't seen posts about in a while here).

I just wish HAL would enforce the dress code. As written it allows a wide variety of choices within their guidelines, so why do we always see people push the limit with jeans, flip flops, and t's in the restaurants and public areas in the evening? :confused:

Smart casual seems to be the norm of late.

Well, that would be true for Smart Casual nights. But it's inappropriate for Formal Nights and we still see folks denied entry into the MDR on HA ships who are not dressed appropriate for formal. On our most recent cruise (Westerdam) we watched a gentleman, who had on a nice dress shirt and tie, turned away from the dining room because he had no jacket.

Hank

Well, that would be true for Smart Casual nights. But it's inappropriate for Formal Nights and we still see folks denied entry into the MDR on HA ships who are not dressed appropriate for formal. On our most recent cruise (Westerdam) we watched a gentleman, who had on a nice dress shirt and tie, turned away from the dining room because he had no jacket.

Hank

We've seen the same on Maasdam and Veendam, but not with any consistency. Sometimes they're allowed in and sometimes, not.

DH no longer wears a tux, but either a dark sport jacket or a suit. I've left my very formal gowns at home for many years now.

I just wish HAL would enforce the dress code. As written it allows a wide variety of choices within their guidelines, so why do we always see people push the limit with jeans, flip flops, and t's in the restaurants and public areas in the evening? :confused:

The flip flop folks are actually performing a public service.

At least I can hear them when they are approaching from behind, thus giving ample warning for their arrival.

Seriously, formal is as formal as you want to make it. It can go from a sportsjacket (nice one) with tie and pants for a man (and shirt too;)) to a suit or a tux.

Ladies - anything from long skirts, nice blouse, long flowing dress, cocktail dress, dressy pants and sparkling tops.

As long as you are within code for formal nights I wouldn't worry. What you want to do is wear something YOU like and YOU feel good in.:D

I like long skirts and gowns so I tend to wear those. But that's because i LIKE it and not because it's a must. I could change my tune by next cruise - we'll see:D

Anyone ever heard of even one woman denied entry based on attire? There was one at an adjoining table who consistently wore a sweatsuit and tennis shoes each night. Had a man worn that even HAL might have challenged him.

We were on a Silverseas cruise a few years ago and they strictly enforced the dress code but they did it very very diplomatically. A quiet whisper to the gentleman with no coat and tie and he followed the manager away and a minute or so later he appeared in a tie with blazer.

Gary

We have over 350 days on HAL. My husband literally wore out his tux. He will now only take a dark suit.

I take a long black skirt and several Sparkle tops. Didn't put on my gown on our last Prinsendam cruise because I would have felt overdressed. A lot of passengers were Dutch and that may have had something to do with it. I don't mean that in a derogatory fashion, only that they wore very sensible, stylish clothing. Also, think the weight limitations the airlines have imposed contribute to the lack of tuxedos and elaborate gowns.

Usually take Chicos travelers slacks and ankle length skirts. Many looks with the same bottoms used several times. Think the fellow passengers appreciate having people make an effort to dress on special nights.

OP...I normally wear a long plain black dress with a fancy jacket, a flouncy skirt or flouncy Palazzo pants with a dressy top for formal nights...DH has worn either a suit or his tux..

For smart casual DH wears dress pants or dockers & a shirt..He occasionally wears a cardigan sweater or jacket sans tie as it can be cold in the MDR..I wear slacks or skirts with a casual top & normally a jacket..

]I just wish HAL would enforce the dress code. As written it allows a wide variety of choices within their guidelines' date=' so why do we always see people push the limit with [b']jeans[/b], flip flops, and t's in the restaurants and public areas in the evening? :confused:

On all the cruises I've been on HAL does enforce the dress code...FYI we have 300 plus days on HAL..

There is no rule that Jeans are not permitted & there is no rule as to what type of shoes including flip-flops are permitted..!

Even though I don't wear Jeans or flip-flops, I've seen some very lovely Ladies & Gentlemen dressed in expensive jeans (some are jewel encrusted) on several of our cruises..

Betty

Archived