Rain on a cruise?

Has anyone ever experience a lot of rain on a cruise? How was it? We're you disappointed?

You have no control over the weather. Usually it doesn't rain for that long a few hours or the day. You go inside they are dozens of activities planned. Watch a film in the theater, go to a lecture, play Pub Trivia, enjoy the Drink of the Day. Rainy or sunny it's all good when you're aboard a cruise ship.

Jonathan

Yes to Alaska, specifically Ketchikan. The trip was wonderful. No, we were not disappointed, we've been in rain before and didn't melt away.

Rain would only disappoint me if I went somewhere where it nearly never rains-like the desert.

On my Hawaii cruise, on the way down to Fanning Island, and on the way back up, we hit a big storm, plus we got drenched at Kawaii. Also got rained on in Costa Rica plus Ketchikan and Haines Alaska. Ain't no big deal! I, at least, didn't melt.

While we had near perfect weather last October on our Med cruise, the cruise immediately before us dealt with rain every day but the last one, and that was the day they left the ship. It's just the luck of the draw. When planning months ahead, there is no way to predict what the weather will be. Sure, some times of the year are more prone to rainy days, but even then rain isn't a sure thing, just as clear days aren't a sure thing during the dry seasons.

If it rains, make the best of it. Being upset or disappointed will only make things worse.

Worst for me was when we were in a tender in Polynesia when a big storm caught us by surprise. Very rough sailing.The only protection we had were canvas sides rolled down. They didn't do much good. The water poured in anyway.

Also going up river to Mayan ruins in Central America. Open boat and we got soaked.

Rain never really bothered me, but then again I'm not a beach person, I like to explore both on land and 70ft under the water. What I don't understand are the people that go to places like Jamaica and take tours of the Rain Forests and then complain that it's raining? :eek: Well duh, its a *Rain* Forest. For the most part in the Caribbean at least most rain showers only last a few hours at the very most.

Our last trip to Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel, it was rainy or drizzling for 50-75% of the trip... didn't stop us from ziplining, scuba diving, and off roading. Nor did it stop us from sitting up on deck relaxing and enjoying what rays we could get. When the rain started they closed the top to the Aft pool and we just enjoyed the sound of the rain and the waves. There were still kids in the pool on the Lido as well. :p

except for Bar Harbor.

It didn't stop my friend and I from exploring, riding local buses, eating in local places, etc. though it did vastly limit our time on our free upgraded balcony. It rained a lot on sea days so we sat and read, chatted with others and watched films. It was one of my fave cruises.

We got SOAKED going to the memorial at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. The boat has the canvas sides down and the rain was so bad, it was like it was pouring down a gutter onto the people on the outside seats, at one point. We felt worse for the service member standing at attention, unmoving and completely exposed. Luckily, it was warm and the breeze dried us out pretty quickly. It was the day we boarded the ship, so we had already given up our luggage and couldn't change or do anything about our more than hideous hair, but then it was a small price to see the memorial and this was our only opportunity. We got soaked on the whale watch but the sun (again) came out and dried us off and we got an amazing photo of a whale coming up out of the water and diving back in. We had rain one day during a Caribbean cruise but it didn't stop us from heading off the ship, along with everyone else, to enjoy the port. I would prefer to stay dry, but on each of the days it rained, we still had a great time and wouldn't trade it for a day of sunshine at home.

Our first cruise was cloudy and rainy almost the entire time. Yes...it impacted my enjoyment, as I was looking forward to a great tan! It's terrible when you get home and are whiter than when you left!

Nothing you can do about it, though! It is what it is!

Yes to Alaska, specifically Ketchikan. The trip was wonderful. No, we were not disappointed, we've been in rain before and didn't melt away.

Rain would only disappoint me if I went somewhere where it nearly never rains-like the desert.

But those of us who live in the Desert love to experience rain. It is like standing in a shower of money!

On our second cruise, it rained every day but one. Because of a late flight, we booked a shorex to a hotel in SanJuan where I got the worst burn of my life----trying to soak up some sun. Last April, we got our luggage late because of storms....which arrived wet, because it was sitting outside the terminal in bins. In Sept, I had to use a hairdryer to dry my rain soaked sweater----the umbrella didn't help completely.

It was disappointing, but we survived.

Has anyone ever experience a lot of rain on a cruise? How was it? We're you disappointed?

no more than when it rained while we were at Disney.

rain happens whether you are on vacation or not. I have experienced rain on a day trip to the National Mall as well as just going shopping.

to allow the weather to ruin a vacation is just asinine in my opinion. I learned long ago to pack for all types of weather just in case.. or be prepared to fork over $50 for a sweatshirt at the San Diego Zoo

except for Bar Harbor.

It didn't stop my friend and I from exploring, riding local buses, eating in local places, etc. though it did vastly limit our time on our free upgraded balcony. It rained a lot on sea days so we sat and read, chatted with others and watched films. It was one of my fave cruises.

too funny.. my Sept cruise was the exact opposite.. great weather every day EXCEPT Bar harbor, which was canceled!

We were on a med cruise a few years ago with a port call in Nice. It was one of the heaviest rains I had ever seen. We were on Brilliance of the seas and I took a picture across the teak pool deck and pools. It is one of my favorite pictures and the only picture I have of French Rain. I use it as wall paper on my pc during winter. When you get lemons.. make lemonade

On our first Alaskan cruise it rained heavily while we were in Ketchikan. Prior to that cruise, I had done a lot of research here on CC and found out Ketchikan is located in a rainforest. We were prepared with appropriate rain gear.

It was quite surprising how many passengers on the cruise came unprepared so couldn't go ashore. We went on our shore excursion and had a great time.

One country I always love visiting is Norway(*)..... and more often than not it will rain. My last trip to Norway was in July; on one hike the skies opened up, with heavy rain, strong winds, and the temperature dropped to about 5C (41F).

I think it was Sir Rannulph Fiennes who said "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing."

VP

(*)There are many countries I love visiting :)

Archived