Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

Given the cruise contract I may not 'win,' but I hope to help put pressure on RCL to treat their customers with respect. They've made such a poor impression with me, I can't imagine I'll ever sail with them again. I'm going to get this behind me now, so I can make the best of my paid-for cruise. Believe me, if I hadn't been paid in full, I'd already have cancelled.

Surely you have purchased the best travel insurance available; if I were you I would skip the cruise entirely and claim the insurance. If it is causing you this level of grief now you will be absolutely miserable onboard and work yourself into a frenzy trying to have things made "right". Just don't go.

We were part of a 40+ person group on Allure on the October 13th sailing. None of us cared about the SLIGHT change of times. First off the Nassau stop is already a joke and this doesn't really change anything. And there was still plenty of time in St. Thomas. I really don't see why this is such a big deal.

The ship is the destination, and we were all safe and felt no additional movement or anything that some people are complaining about.

Well you don't see why it is such a big deal because it didn't affect *your* plans or personal preferences as much as might affect others. In our case, one of our very favorite beach excursions happens to be Blue Lagoon Island in Nassau. And in that case the seemingly "slight" time change absolutely does impact that excursion, in that (unless Blue Lagoon Island decides to accommodate with earlier ferries back to the port) the first ferry back to the cruise port isn't until 1pm. So for us, the Nassau stop is not a joke, and we'd be particularly upset if we missed one of our favorite beach stops. I agree with you about St. Thomas, but as a whole I really wish that everyone would stop using blanket statements of how this isn't a big deal, when they should just be saying something more like "it wasn't a big deal in terms of our personal plans or preferences", and just leave it at that. Just like saying "the ship is the destination"...I mean honestly, would all of you be just as happy with the Allure cruising around at sea for 7 days instead of 3 port stops? Gimme a break here, lol.

Edited by joeski27

Surely you have purchased the best travel insurance available; if I were you I would skip the cruise entirely and claim the insurance. If it is causing you this level of grief now you will be absolutely miserable onboard and work yourself into a frenzy trying to have things made "right". Just don't go.

And you do know that, given that RCI hasn't officially given us notice yet of a itinerary change (only word of mouth and rumors), you still technically could get the cruise insurance now, and then put the cancellation through once RCI does (or IF they do, lol) provide official notification. :D

Well you don't see why it is such a big deal because it didn't affect *your* plans or personal preferences as much as might affect others. In our case, one of our very favorite beach excursions happens to be Blue Lagoon Island in Nassau. And in that case the seemingly "slight" time change absolutely does impact that excursion, in that (unless Blue Lagoon Island decides to accommodate with earlier ferries back to the port) the first ferry back to the cruise port isn't until 1pm. So for us, the Nassau stop is not a joke, and we'd be particularly upset if we missed one of our favorite beach stops. I agree with you about St. Thomas, but as a whole I really wish that everyone would stop using blanket statements of how this isn't a big deal, when they should just be saying something more like "it wasn't a big deal in terms of our personal plans or preferences", and just leave it at that. Just like saying "the ship is the destination"...I mean honestly, would all of you be just as happy with the Allure cruising around at sea for 7 days instead of 3 port stops? Gimme a break here, lol.

^This.

Word is now spreading fast in the media. It's on an ASTA news service - travel agents world-wide are becoming aware of the issue. It has also hit two cruise law blogs. Those devote quite a bit of focus on RCL's slow acknowledgement of the problem.

You will not receive anything from that route. The cruise contract clearly states that they can change the itinerary, bring you to different ports, and even just leave you at the embarkation dock for the entire cruise, and you still have to pay.

Unfortunately, this is absolutely correct. I have never understood why a court/arbitrator would enforce a contract that is completely illusory. You pay your fare and they agree to, essentially, nothing.

Of course, the practical part of this is that the cruise line could not simply dump passengers or leave the ship at the embarkation port and keep the passengers' money. The uproar and bad will created by such a move would definitely hurt the line, and they are much more cognizant of that than any potential legal liability.

These ridiculous one-sided contracts are exactly why I always purchase travel insurance through a third party.

And you do know that, given that RCI hasn't officially given us notice yet of a itinerary change (only word of mouth and rumors), you still technically could get the cruise insurance now, and then put the cancellation through once RCI does (or IF they do, lol) provide official notification. :D

I don't know that cruise insurance covers cancellation for an itinerary change, unless you buy optional (usually expensive) "cancel for any reason" coverage from 3rd party policies, or are willing to accept 75% future cruise CREDIT with the cruise line insurance. ken

Edited by Ken076

^This.

Word is now spreading fast in the media. It's on an ASTA news service - travel agents world-wide are becoming aware of the issue. It has also hit two cruise law blogs. Those devote quite a bit of focus on RCL's slow acknowledgement of the problem.

Spreading fast in the media because it was in USA Today and two ambulance chaser blogs? All three of those sites frequently post articles after they have read threads on cruise critic.

Insurance won't pay for an itinerary change; posted beforehand or not. I am simply saying that if any particular person has cruise insurance and is already worked up to the point of not being able to enjoy their cruise they should read their policy and possibly just not show up, and then be reimbursed through insurance. You don't need RCI to do anything if you have the proper insurance.

I realize that the Allure problem is only so far effecting her speed and loosing some time in two ports on eastern itinerary, but I worry about her becoming unstable/rocky. I also worry that she get worse in time down the road, would like to hear more from RC on this issue to make me feel better.

For the umpteenth time, the ship is going to be no more unstable or rocky because of a single pod not being used. Weather will always have a much great effect on the ship's attitude!

Ahhhh LOOK everybody! Carnivals #1 cheerleader has arrived! :rolleyes:

At least they arent trying to hide the fact that there is a stinky ship with overflowing toilets, floating out in the middle of the ocean dead at sea.

For the umpteenth time, the ship is going to be no more unstable or rocky because of a single pod not being used. Weather will always have a much great effect on the ship's attitude!

YES, It will. They aren't using the stabilizers due to their cost in speed without the third azipod.

However, with a ship that wide, I am not concerned about that at all......

I am concerned with their lack of consideration for their guests and their plans.....

I don't mind they have to change the schedule, but send a friggin' email, change the itinerary list on the pre-cruise planner on the RCL website....something, anything......Just make people aware if it is a foreseen change...

Beisdes, they did do this once before, the original time table for my 11/10 trip when I booked in January 2013 was:

Nassau = 7-2

St. Thomas = 9-6 (later changed to 10-7)

And is listed this way on the website's itinerary , but they did the right thing and made the change visible so that it may be planned for.....giving the proper notice...... I was like.... "Okay, the excursion I picked for 930 am will need to be re-scheduled, Cool"

Plus, how long have they known about the azipod problem? Was this change that happened months ago made to give them an extra hour to get to St. Thomas?

(I know.....whats an hour...but Still, it makes me think)

St. Maarten = 8-5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is NO need to keep people in the dark. We have all agreed to the terms and are on the hook for the costs anyhow....So why be so secretive? OHH, thats right, because there isn't any real fix til 2015 and they don't want to be viewed as Carnival and loose future bookings. The need to save face takes the priority, this is the current flagship.

Edited by MASCREW

YES, It will. They aren't using the stabilizers due to their cost in speed without the third azipod.

Rumor or fact?

Edit: Not asking if deploying stabilizers reduces speed; asking if it is a fact that they are NOT using stabilizers.

Edited by LMaxwell

All,

We just got off the Allure today. Yes, we left Bahamas early (all aboard 12:30). Arrival in St. Thomas was 11:00 and all aboard 6:30. The curious thing was we did daylight savings time between the two stops. All room and ship clocks turned back an hour. But items that were in your event planner prior now showed up an hour later (7:30 dinner rather than the scheduled 6:30). I saw many people missing shows because they trusted their onscreen planner only to be told that the show started nearly an hour prior. This only got worse on Friday when their manipulation of daylight savings caused every room's interactive TV (and planner) to go into a reboot loop for 12 hours. When I called, maintenance said it was the daylight savings thing that caused it.

Captain's Corner was interesting. First question: are we not able to travel at full speed? Hem, haw, basically something mechanically not allowing full speed. But nothing wrong. Thus the shortened port stops and the odd placement of daylight savings. Next question: how often does a ship like this need to go into dry dock? Designed and required to go in after 5 years so 2015. Also means no swapping with Oasis as her date is also fixed at 5 years.

I have ridden on Voyager class 4 times and smaller RCI ships prior. I could feel this boat move especially on the two sea day heading back to FLL. Number of pods is one thing. Stabilizers are different. Captain Johnney was asked when they were used (probably a reference to the pitching I felt over the prior days). He said they are used fully during ice shows and diving shows but using them does affect overall speed. Given that the Allure was not meeting full speed on her tight Eastern route it seems likely they were not on due to their speed penalty.

So we got fewer answers than the last Eastern route in that they did not tell everyone that there was a speed issue. They tried to use daylight savings to their advantage and it blew up in their face. It screwed up everyone's calendar and eventually crashed the entire TV system for 12 hours. I was not impressed. And I let them know on my survey.

This was our first cruise on Oasis class and we were both Wowed. There were so many aspects of this cruise we truly loved. But I am concerned with the way RCI is handling this situation.

Tony

Fact????

Rumor or fact?

Edit: Not asking if deploying stabilizers reduces speed; asking if it is a fact that they are NOT using stabilizers.

I'm not sifting through all 22 pages of posts, but Im pretty sure someone said they were told that at a Captains q&a.....Still, making that speculation as we all know how "telephone" works. :rolleyes:

Regardless, that is NOT the point of my post at all.

My concern is the lack of transparency from RCL. :mad:

EDIT: Looks like the Post before me beat me to the punch, Thanks for digging that up!

Edited by MASCREW

I have ridden on Voyager class 4 times and smaller RCI ships prior. I could feel this boat move especially on the two sea day heading back to FLL. Number of pods is one thing. Stabilizers are different. Captain Johnney was asked when they were used (probably a reference to the pitching I felt over the prior days). He said they are used fully during ice shows and diving shows but using them does affect overall speed. Given that the Allure was not meeting full speed on her tight Eastern route it seems likely they were not on due to their speed penalty.

Stabilizers do nothing for pitch.

So we got fewer answers than the last Eastern route in that they did not tell everyone that there was a speed issue. They tried to use daylight savings to their advantage and it blew up in their face. It screwed up everyone's calendar and eventually crashed the entire TV system for 12 hours. I was not impressed. And I let them know on my survey.

I'm not sure I believe any of this part.

This was our first cruise on Oasis class and we were both Wowed. There were so many aspects of this cruise we truly loved. But I am concerned with the way RCI is handling this situation.

Tony

I agree but I'm glad you still enjoyed your cruise.

Edited by Big_G

Well, considering that one is supposed to buy low and sell high maybe it is good advice to sell now. Though I realize than many people do it the other way around when it comes to stocks.

...or buy more. :D

Disclaimer: I own no positions in RCI stock nor do I recommend the purchase of said stock.

Stock recommendations and comments presented on CC are solely those of the analysts and experts quoted. They do not represent the opinions of CC on whether to buy, sell or hold shares of a particular stock.

Investors should be cautious about any and all stock recommendations and should consider the source of any advice on stock selection. Various factors, including personal or corporate ownership, may influence or factor into an expert's stock analysis or opinion.

All investors are advised to conduct their own independent research into individual stocks before making a purchase decision. In addition, investors are advised that past stock performance is no guarantee of future price appreciation.

;)

I think the key fact in all of this, is that Royal Caribbean has failed to be honest with it's guests, the bread and butter of the company.

It's a typical Public Relations nightmare, and Royal needs to tackle this head-on, before it starts to get out of control.

We were part of a 40+ person group on Allure on the October 13th sailing. None of us cared about the SLIGHT change of times. First off the Nassau stop is already a joke and this doesn't really change anything. And there was still plenty of time in St. Thomas. I really don't see why this is such a big deal.

The ship is the destination, and we were all safe and felt no additional movement or anything that some people are complaining about.

This thread is now 22 pages long. If you don't yet understand why this is an issue to some people then you either have not read the thread or your point of view and what affects you is all that matters to you.

This thread is now 22 pages long. If you don't yet understand why this is an issue to some people then you either have not read the thread or your point of view and what affects you is all that matters to you.

Isnt that what CC is all about? As long as it doesnt affect ME, who cares? :D;)

You will not receive anything from that route. The cruise contract clearly states that they can change the itinerary, bring you to different ports, and even just leave you at the embarkation dock for the entire cruise, and you still have to pay.

You are missing my point. In my experience companies don't like disputed charges. It gets them to pay attention and acknowledge an issue - a courtesy RCL has yet to do in this situation.

To update you guys on the email that I sent to Blue Lagoon asking if they'd be able to tweak their ferry times if Allure had to leave early, they just replied to me via email and basically said they would not be able to. So, bottom line now is that either the Allure/RCI has things 100% fixed & we leave on time from Nassau (2pm), or its no Blue Lagoon Island excursion for us. And that flat out blows in my book. Going from what I planned to be an excellent snorkeling cruise on this trip to now only looking at Sapphire Beach at St. Thomas (assuming that isn't cut short too). Sucks. :(

Edited by joeski27

To update you guys on the email that I sent to Blue Lagoon asking if they'd be able to tweak their ferry times if Allure had to leave early, they just replied to me via email and basically said they would not be able to. So, bottom line now is that either the Allure/RCI has things 100% fixed & we leave on time from Nassau (2pm), or its no Blue Lagoon Island excursion for us. And that flat out blows in my book. Going from what I planned to be an excellent snorkeling cruise on this trip to now only looking at Sapphire Beach at St. Thomas (assuming that isn't cut short too). Sucks. :(

Oh but the ship is the destination, remember? <<roll eyes>>

I feel your pain. We were so looking forward to the full day sailing charter and snorkeling. Now we'll get to paddle about in kayaks for a little bit and briefly poke our faces in the water. Kinda hard to compare the 2...

At this point it looks like we're all on our own wrt keeping or cancelling excursions whose times don't match-up with a revised port schedule.

Optimist that I am, I'm hoping when RCI investigates the problem and comes up with a plan, that they will have their excursion operators adjust their excursion times to match the port times. Hopefully those sailing the Eastern itinerary will provide some feedback on their return.

ken