Paris hotel...

pbnjrockette

Still trying to decide where to stay...

We are doing a rivercruise that begins in Paris and planning on arriving 3 days early. Still needing to decide whether to stay in the pre-trip hotel (LeMeridien Etoile) or book another. Since we are going early we will need to find transportation to the hotel from the airport. Know the LeMeridien is near the metro but thinking that probably doing large suitcases on the metro is not the best plan!

If we stay at another hotel we will need to move to the LeMeridien (by taxi?).

Would appreciate any info if anyone is familiar with this area of Paris and other hotels.

Still trying to decide where to stay...

We are doing a rivercruise that begins in Paris and planning on arriving 3 days early. Still needing to decide whether to stay in the pre-trip hotel (LeMeridien Etoile) or book another. Since we are going early we will need to find transportation to the hotel from the airport. Know the LeMeridien is near the metro but thinking that probably doing large suitcases on the metro is not the best plan!

If we stay at another hotel we will need to move to the LeMeridien (by taxi?).

Would appreciate any info if anyone is familiar with this area of Paris and other hotels.

First and foremost...yes..take a taxi to the hotel,and PLEASE use a taxi from the taxi line outside,and DO NOT let anyone near the doors as you exit tell you waht a great deal they have etc.You will be ripped off. You could user a shared van as well. I sort of know the area where the hotle is,but it would not be my first choice for a 3 day visit.I would check out Venere.com and see what the offer in the 1 ARR for your price point and location...you really cannot go wrong there. This is on the Right Bank.You can use the metro to get around.No matter where you stay do take a cab to the Le Meridienif you do not stay there.I am sure other's will have some suggestions for you as well.

Per recommendations on Cruise Critic, my husband and I just returned from a stay at the Gramont Opera Hotel. The hotel is near the metro and many tourist sites. We arrived at 8:30 AM after an overnight flight and were thrilled that our room was ready. The staff is extremely nice and helpful and answered all of my emailed questions. We took the train and metro between the airport and the hotel (9.50 Euro per person) but that may not be an option for everyone as there are several flights of stairs. The hotel is not fancy but has nice rooms, free WiFi, and a great location. We were very pleased. Thanks to CC posters for the referral!

Per recommendations on Cruise Critic, my husband and I just returned from a stay at the Gramont Opera Hotel. The hotel is near the metro and many tourist sites. We arrived at 8:30 AM after an overnight flight and were thrilled that our room was ready. The staff is extremely nice and helpful and answered all of my emailed questions. We took the train and metro between the airport and the hotel (9.50 Euro per person) but that may not be an option for everyone as there are several flights of stairs. The hotel is not fancy but has nice rooms, free WiFi, and a great location. We were very pleased. Thanks to CC posters for the referral!

Thanks for the recommendation! I will check them out.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at Meridien Montparnasse on a Priceline win. It was actually very convenient for us. The railway station was across the street for a trip to Versailles. The Air France bus let us off across from the hotel and it was also the pickup point going back to the hotel. The hop on hop off stop was one street over.

We also stayed at the Courtyard Neuilly. It was fine, nice area, quite. And close to the other Air France airport bus stop.

I think my favourite was in the Marais district near Port Royal (?) metro stop. Forget the name...a small local hotel with great ambiance.

The OP has raised several issues. Regarding transportation, we agree that a taxi or pre-booked shared shuttle (there are several good companies with web sites) is the way to go when you have luggage.

As to the hotel and its area you are going to get lots of opinions. Paris is a city of neighborhoods (called Arrondissements) and we personally prefer the more quaint Left Bank...and its 5th and 6th. On the Right Bank we agree with the other poster that the Marais area has lots of charm. On the other hand, the Meridian has a very central Right Bank location and is certainly in the heart of things if one prefers the Champs Elysees. There is even a large McDonalds in that part of Paris :)

Keep in mind that Paris has a great Metro system....so no matter where you stay you are never far from anyplace.

Hank

Hello Hlitner,

Do you happen to have a few favorite hotels in the 6th? Ones that would be quiet and have stand up showers?

Do you know much about La Villa or Saint Peres or Relais Saint Germain? Would you choose one over the other?

Thanks-- and I hope the info might be helpful to OP as well.

Hello Hlitner,

Do you happen to have a few favorite hotels in the 6th? Ones that would be quiet and have stand up showers?

Do you know much about La Villa or Saint Peres or Relais Saint Germain? Would you choose one over the other?

Thanks-- and I hope the info might be helpful to OP as well.

ARGH! Sure hate to recommend hotels since we all have different expectations on smaller Paris places. One old favorite is in the 5th and called Hotel Grandes Ecoles....but we would be the first to admit that this hotel is not for everyone. We have been somewhat "put off" by the high price of hotels in Paris and recently decided to try a new tact. A few weeks ago we rented an apartment in St Germain des Pres (guess this would be the 6th) for a week next May. It seems that the latest trend among frequent Paris visitors is to do these short term (under a month) furnished apartment rentals and there are literally thousands of places for rent. This will be our first experience doing this kind of rental in Paris....so we shall have to wait and see. We had previously rented an apartment for 2 weeks in St Remy de Provence and absolutely loved the experience. So this year not only are we doing the rental in Paris, but also doing a week rental in Avignon (about 12 miles from our previous St Remy rental).

This is all relevant to CC because our method of getting to France is via cruise ship. We are doing a spring cruise (Princess) where we can jump off the ship (a day before its final port) in Le Havre and then grab a train down to Paris.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. I know that so many folks really love the rental thing--and it sounds lovely. But we don't know Paris at all (haven't been in 50+ years), so we'd feel uncomfortable not having a concierge or whatever that we could consult. Also, we're elderly and really would feel more comfortable not being so totally on our own. Enjoy your travels! (Those high prices in Paris put us off too, but we've got little choice at this point. May have to forego the whole trip, but I hope not. We really like good places. May have to vacation elsewhere.)

Thanks, Hank. I know that so many folks really love the rental thing--and it sounds lovely. But we don't know Paris at all (haven't been in 50+ years), so we'd feel uncomfortable not having a concierge or whatever that we could consult. Also, we're elderly and really would feel more comfortable not being so totally on our own. Enjoy your travels! (Those high prices in Paris put us off too, but we've got little choice at this point. May have to forego the whole trip, but I hope not. We really like good places. May have to vacation elsewhere.)

Paris is worth spending some time to find a place that meets your needs. There are plenty of reasonably priced hotels, although many are older places with small rooms. But you probably need to figure on paying 170-200 Euros per night. If you have mobility limitations there is a lot to say for staying in an area like the Marais district where everything is relatively flat. Some of the Best Western hotels can be pretty nice and safe. We once stayed at the Best Western Gallion Opera which was actually a pretty nice place in a decent Right Bank location. If you wanted to stay on the Left Bank you might want to consider that some areas (such as where the Hotel Grandes Ecole is located) are on hills that might be a challenge to folks who are not capable of walking a few steep blocks.

Hank

We stayed in the 6th at the Hotel Vernueil It is a boutique hotel with personalized service. They will arrange for a car service to pick you up from the airport. They have one room on the main floor which is the room you need. Inquire if this room is available and the shower arrangement in this room by email

• 2 months later...
The OP has raised several issues. Regarding transportation, we agree that a taxi or pre-booked shared shuttle (there are several good companies with web sites) is the way to go when you have luggage.

As to the hotel and its area you are going to get lots of opinions. Paris is a city of neighborhoods (called Arrondissements) and we personally prefer the more quaint Left Bank...and its 5th and 6th. On the Right Bank we agree with the other poster that the Marais area has lots of charm. On the other hand, the Meridian has a very central Right Bank location and is certainly in the heart of things if one prefers the Champs Elysees. There is even a large McDonalds in that part of Paris :)

Keep in mind that Paris has a great Metro system....so no matter where you stay you are never far from anyplace.

Hank

Thank you for this information. We will need to be staying at the Meridien as it is where our tour group begins. Being close to the metro is perfect for our 3 day pre-visit as we can get where we need to go including Gard du Nord train station as we intend to visit friends in Belguim.

Now need to research "pre-booked shared shuttle" for CDG airport!

Edited by pbnjrockette

Thank you for this information. We will need to be staying at the Meridien as it is where our tour group begins. Being close to the metro is perfect for our 3 day pre-visit as we can get where we need to go including Gard du Nord train station as we intend to visit friends in Belguim.

Loads of info here re shuttles...just do a search on the board.

Tour groups always stay at large properties so they can be accommodated properly. There is nothing wrong with staying at a different property and then moving over to where you tour begins. It can actually give you a different perspectives while visiting Paris. jmo.

• 1 month later...
Any hotels close to Eiffel Tower?

Where is LeMeridien located?

The Meridan is in the "8th" Arrondisement which means it is across the Seine from the "7th" which is where the Eiffel Tower just happens to be. And yes, there are hotels near the Eiffel Tower and there are hotels just about everywhere in Paris as the city is home to over 2,000 hotels. Not sure why in the world you want a hotel near the Eiffel Tower (it would not be our favorite area) but it is pretty easy to learn the options.

Paris is a city of neighborhoods which are called Arrondisements, and they are all numbered (and some also have names). If you simply Google "7 th Arrondissment Hotels" you will quickly get a list and maps of that particular neighborhood. Once you find a few hotels of interest you might want to further check them out on a neutral web site like Trip Advisor (we put more value in the various comments instead of the formal review).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The Meridan is in the "8th" Arrondisement which means it is across the Seine from the "7th" which is where the Eiffel Tower just happens to be. And yes, there are hotels near the Eiffel Tower and there are hotels just about everywhere in Paris as the city is home to over 2,000 hotels. Not sure why in the world you want a hotel near the Eiffel Tower (it would not be our favorite area) but it is pretty easy to learn the options.

Paris is a city of neighborhoods which are called Arrondisements, and they are all numbered (and some also have names). If you simply Google "7 th Arrondissment Hotels" you will quickly get a list and maps of that particular neighborhood. Once you find a few hotels of interest you might want to further check them out on a neutral web site like Trip Advisor (we put more value in the various comments instead of the formal review).

Hank

Since I have never been to Paris, I picked the top attraction I knew.... Didn't know that Paris is divided into neighborhoods. Which neighborhood would you recommend for someone who has never been to Paris? ( DH has been but many years ago and he hasn't been much help!!)

Also, would it be better to be closer to the ship?

Since I have never been to Paris, I picked the top attraction I knew.... Didn't know that Paris is divided into neighborhoods. Which neighborhood would you recommend for someone who has never been to Paris? ( DH has been but many years ago and he hasn't been much help!!)

Also, would it be better to be closer to the ship?

To be very honest, you will often find that Paris Lovers often argue (and debate) this very topic. As I tried to imply, there is just no right or wrong. DW and I love staying on the Left Bank (5th or 6th) but we have friends who will only stay on the Right Bank. Some travelers prefer to be in a big modern hotel while others like the very small European style hotels/inns. On our upcoming trip to Paris we are actually staying in a furnished apartment (for a week) rather then any hotel.

As to being closer to the boat, while this might save you some money on a taxi, it would not be a major consideration for us. Many of the river boats dock in the Southwest of Paris (between the 15th and 16th) and this would not be an area we would normally recommend for a first-time visitor to the city. You might want to look on Tripadvisor and read some of the comments. Also pull up their hotel list (they list nearly 1800 hotels in Paris) and start scrolling through the list...paying particular attention to the comments posted by the readers. When you see places for which the comments just seem to "jump out at you" then do a little research on that particular hotel and its location. The last 2 digits of a hotel's zip code will indicate the Arrondisement. So for example, if a places zip code is 75002 that is a quick way to tell you it is in the 2nd Arrondissment. Since you ask our advice, we would focus on the 3rd and 4th (Right bank) and 5th and 6th (Left Bank) since they are somewhat well located areas for tourism.

You should also do some reading about the Left Bank vs Right Bank issue. Google can quickly find you many articles such as this one:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-trav-paris-main-0412apr12,0,3450493.story

Where the author seems to favor the Right Bank (you can find plenty of articles that give you the opposite opinion). We also love the Rick Steves Guides, so you might want to invest in the Rick Steves Paris Guide which will give you lots of info (and suggestions) on where to stay.

Think of your research as part of the fun and it will get you even more excited about your trip. In fact, DW and I are now going crazy because we are into our normal trip research and have been arguing for days about where we should eat in Paris. For us, dining is very important, and in Paris there are more then 12,000 restaurants/cafes serving every kind of imaginable food (and some you cannot even imagine) in every price range.

Oh and I guess this is where I put in a "plug" for our favorite Paris Museum. It is the Musee d'Orsay, which is a haven for those of us who love the French Impressionists. Most first time visitors flock to the Louvre (you could spend 6 months in that museum and still not see it all) but DW and I nearly run (not walk) to the Musee d'Orsay.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

To be very honest, you will often find that Paris Lovers often argue (and debate) this very topic. As I tried to imply, there is just no right or wrong. DW and I love staying on the Left Bank (5th or 6th) but we have friends who will only stay on the Right Bank. Some travelers prefer to be in a big modern hotel while others like the very small European style hotels/inns. On our upcoming trip to Paris we are actually staying in a furnished apartment (for a week) rather then any hotel.

As to being closer to the boat, while this might save you some money on a taxi, it would not be a major consideration for us. Many of the river boats dock in the Southwest of Paris (between the 15th and 16th) and this would not be an area we would normally recommend for a first-time visitor to the city. You might want to look on Tripadvisor and read some of the comments. Also pull up their hotel list (they list nearly 1800 hotels in Paris) and start scrolling through the list...paying particular attention to the comments posted by the readers. When you see places for which the comments just seem to "jump out at you" then do a little research on that particular hotel and its location. The last 2 digits of a hotel's zip code will indicate the Arrondisement. So for example, if a places zip code is 75002 that is a quick way to tell you it is in the 2nd Arrondissment. Since you ask our advice, we would focus on the 3rd and 4th (Right bank) and 5th and 6th (Left Bank) since they are somewhat well located areas for tourism.

You should also do some reading about the Left Bank vs Right Bank issue. Google can quickly find you many articles such as this one:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-trav-paris-main-0412apr12,0,3450493.story

Where the author seems to favor the Right Bank (you can find plenty of articles that give you the opposite opinion). We also love the Rick Steves Guides, so you might want to invest in the Rick Steves Paris Guide which will give you lots of info (and suggestions) on where to stay.

Think of your research as part of the fun and it will get you even more excited about your trip. In fact, DW and I are now going crazy because we are into our normal trip research and have been arguing for days about where we should eat in Paris. For us, dining is very important, and in Paris there are more then 12,000 restaurants/cafes serving every kind of imaginable food (and some you cannot even imagine) in every price range.

Oh and I guess this is where I put in a "plug" for our favorite Paris Museum. It is the Musee d'Orsay, which is a haven for those of us who love the French Impressionists. Most first time visitors flock to the Louvre (you could spend 6 months in that museum and still not see it all) but DW and I nearly run (not walk) to the Musee d'Orsay.

Hank

Thanks so much for all the great information. I am the one in the family that plans all our trips and DH just shows up. I love researching areas we are going to travel. Luckily, with research, I found a great hotel in Budapest and one in Amsterdam for our river last year. We would stay at both hotels again and recommend them.

Now for Paris...... I have been on trip advisor as well as Priceline. Neither indicated a Left or Right bank area. So, your info on checking zip code to indicate area is very helpful.

I maybe asking more questions before next spring's river cruise. Any not to be missed restaurants wound be great too!

Again, thank you!

Also check out the Hotel Brighton. If you can reserve a room overlooking the Tuileries, it's magical at night, especially when the Eiffel Tower puts on its light show.

This was actually the hotel we used on our first visit to Paris back in the early 70s. The location on the Rue de Rivoli is perfection for those wanting to be in this busy central part of the Right Bank. What I never realized that it is one of the oldest hotels in all of Paris (coming up on its 200th anniversary). Just glanced at some of the recent reviews and it sounds like the place is still doing very well :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner