Not eating in MDR

GdubKY

If we plan to eat only in Windjammer and venues other than the MDR, it is acceptable to go to customer service once we board and ask that the gratuities that are added to the SeaPass card be adjusted to only cover the stateroom attendants,or taken off all together and we will take care of the stateroom attendant with cash in an envelope? We usually sit in the same area of Windjammer, and get to know the staff that work that area, so we also give them an envelope at the end of the week

Much easier to just leave the auto tips in place. The staff in the MDR work all over the ship at different times. We have seen our dining room waiter and assistant waiter in the WJ and also the head waiter works there at times. There are different staff in the WJ every day so sitting in the same area will not guarantee that you will have the same staff.

You will get a lot of opinions on this!

If we plan to eat only in Windjammer and venues other than the MDR, it is acceptable to go to customer service once we board and ask that the gratuities that are added to the SeaPass card be adjusted to only cover the stateroom attendants,or taken off all together and we will take care of the stateroom attendant with cash in an envelope?

It is your prerogative to dole out gratuities as you see fit. Many will advocate not to remove them, I think I tend to agree with that opinion. But is it acceptable as far as the cruiseline rules and guidelines to do what you ask? Yes.

If we plan to eat only in Windjammer and venues other than the MDR, it is acceptable to go to customer service once we board and ask that the gratuities that are added to the SeaPass card be adjusted to only cover the stateroom attendants,or taken off all together and we will take care of the stateroom attendant with cash in an envelope? We usually sit in the same area of Windjammer, and get to know the staff that work that area, so we also give them an envelope at the end of the week

The food server gratuity is for all servers, regardless of venue. Keep in mind that the service charge can cover the servers at the Windjammer, other venues such as Park Café, Promenade café, Sorrento's, hot dog house, wipe out café etc. (if your ship has any of these complimentary food venues,) as well as the MDR.

On a recent Enchantment sailing there was a notation in the compass that you can request a change in the daily gratuities by stopping at the customer service desk. I believe it also stated that any removal of gratuities had to be done prior to the last day of the cruise. I've heard that if you request any adjustment down, that a manager or supervisor will contact you to determine the reasoning , just so they are sure that poor service was not your justification

Enjoy

M

It's your vacation. I guess you can request what-ever you want.

But, I thought all the workers rotated from sailing to sailing from the windjammer to the MDR. And get their even share of the pot anyway. Just curious why you need to do this?

Sea Ya

If you have traditional dining and you do not plan to eat in the MDR at all, please let the maître-d know to release your seats so that they can be freed up and reassigned to someone else. There is often a waiting list for traditional dining, and your empty seats can go to someone who wants them!

I can think of many things I'd rather do than stand for ages at the Guest Services desk to ask for the prepaid gratuities to be removed. I'm avoiding saying why I wouldn't remove it even if there weren't a queue. This conversation has been done to death already.

no. the wait staff also serve in the windjammer and other locales. the fee covers ALL your meals not just dinner.

You can choose to remove them and tip in cash. ;)

Much easier to just leave the auto tips in place. The staff in the MDR work all over the ship at different times. We have seen our dining room waiter and assistant waiter in the WJ and also the head waiter works there at times. There are different staff in the WJ every day so sitting in the same area will not guarantee that you will have the same staff.

You will get a lot of opinions on this!

The dinner staff works in the Windjammer all week. And, yes, if you sit in the same area each evening you will get the same staff each evening. I speak from experience as we gave up using the MDR many cruises ago.

Agree with the other posters who said leave them......Honestly, we recently were in your same shoes and after chatting on here and reading posts, it is so true that the servers/wait staff work all different places and they all do work so hard, so we left it on and actually was very happy we did! One of the best things is that it was paid for already, so no worrying about envelopes, the cash etc......carry extra if you want to do extra for someone who you think deserves it! I think there is a WOW card or something for that kind of thing?? (sure someone can clarify that one!). It is definitely your own choice though and only you can decide! ;)

The dinner staff works in the Windjammer all week. And, yes, if you sit in the same area each evening you will get the same staff each evening. I speak from experience as we gave up using the MDR many cruises ago.

Another one to validate that as truth!!! :)

During our 7 night cruise on Oasis in August we eat in the MDR once, but didn't remove our gratuities because it covered all the other venues we eat in. It is easier to leave it in place so you have covered everyone and get on an enjoy your holiday.

Eagerly waiting

Rockies / Alaska cruise tour Aug 2014

Fond memories

Independence of the Seas. 2009

oasis of the Seas 2013

Agree...the other option and is one that we used our last most recent cruise was we did MTD...and while I am usually a WJ fan (prefer to dining there in the evenings most cruises) this was not exactly the case for us on the Oasis.

Although tipping is a personal matter....we sign up for My Time Dining, and then never eat in the main dining room.

The daily gratuities have always been the daily tips, there was never a caveat added to the explanation that said, "Unless you eat elsewhere."

So we pre-pay the gratuities. We eat in the windjammer or some other alternative dining venue. If we choose to tip extra there, we do so...knowing that we have already fulfilled our obligation for the suggested (required) daily gratuities.

Royal Caribbean can distribute them as they please. If we tip beyond that, it is our decision and at our discretion. :D We have no desire to spend time trying to decide who should get what.

We were on Oasis and only had dinner in the MDR once out of 7 nights and had

dinner at $pecialty restaurants the other six and always left tips at those.

NO, certainly we did not ask for our tips to be removed. No Way! We eat at a variety of other places for lunch where the servers are included in the tip.

LuLu

~~~~

Agreed with all posters.. leave the gratuities as is.

The most important thing you can do for any employee on board is specifically state their names on your cruise survey they give you in your stateroom at the end of the cruise and be sure to mark "excellent" service. Your comments are fully read by officers and your excellent servers in the Windjammer will get the greatest benefit from your kind words (bonuses? promotions? etc)

It is your prerogative to dole out gratuities as you see fit. Many will advocate not to remove them, I think I tend to agree with that opinion. But is it acceptable as far as the cruiseline rules and guidelines to do what you ask? Yes.

This is the correct answer.

We were on Oasis and only had dinner in the MDR once out of 7 nights and had dinner at $pecialty restaurants the other six and always left tips at those. NO, certainly we did not ask for our tips to be removed. No Way! We eat at a variety of other places for lunch where the servers are included in the tip.

LuLu

~~~~

On the Allure ate in the MD. We ate at specialty restaurants for dinner and tipped in addition to the prepaid gratuities. We also ate in different venues for breakfast and lunch. There's no removal of the prepaid gratuities!

There's no removal of the prepaid gratuities!

The OP asked and is not prepaying. They are talking about the tips that are added daily to your sea pass account. Those can be removed and you can tip in cash if you prefer.

Also Ive seen my Waiter in the Windjammer and once I even saw my assistant waiter in sorentos pizza before.. We are going to try a few speciality restaurants and we just are going to leave our tips on prepaid. :)

Also Ive seen my Waiter in the Windjammer and once I even saw my assistant waiter in sorentos pizza before.. We are going to try a few speciality restaurants and we just are going to leave our tips on prepaid. :)

And that folks, is how it's done.

If we plan to eat only in Windjammer and venues other than the MDR, it is acceptable to go to customer service once we board and ask that the gratuities that are added to the SeaPass card be adjusted to only cover the stateroom attendants,or taken off all together and we will take care of the stateroom attendant with cash in an envelope? We usually sit in the same area of Windjammer, and get to know the staff that work that area, so we also give them an envelope at the end of

Why would you care what people on cruise critic think.It is your money do what you think is best.:) :) Have a great cruise.

I can think of many things I'd rather do than stand for ages at the Guest Services desk to ask for the prepaid gratuities to be removed. I'm avoiding saying why I wouldn't remove it even if there weren't a queue. This conversation has been done to death already.

Much more tactfully said then I think most people are thinking.

Archived