Rumors about January C&A changes

Karter

Logic from one perspective may not be logic from another perspective, and a solution, such as D drink vouchers, would be welcomed by some and unacceptable to others. As I recall the D's lost access from the CL because many suite guests were complaining about the lounge being overcrowded. Those same complaints are being sounded again.

Perhaps, nothing will be changed in the near future but with the ability of a new cruiser to make D with 80 points the ranks of D members is swelling rapidly. Eighty points can be gotten on 6 cruise in a JS. (14 x 6 = 84). Eventually this will have to be addressed.

Pete, I believe that they have been addressing this issue by certain subtle (or not so subtle) changes. For example, in the old program you received a point for 4,5, and even 3 day cruises. So 10 cruises and you were Diamond even if they were those 3 day Bahama trips from Miami. So they shifted to "Cruise Credits" and now those 3 & 4 day jaunts are properly weighted. And, oh by the way, starting at the first of the year new JS bookings are only 1 credit per day just like any other non Gold card stateroom. So anyone who wants double points for a JS better hustle! And double for Diamond isn't happening this December, is it? So I think that RCCL is making moves to slow down the number of C&A points getting racked up to attain the perks that come at the top levels.

C & A stated that because of the resent 3 drink coupons that the rumor begin. Then they told me that the coupons were on a trial and they are waiting for the feedback --- the trial was done because of all the complaints that the people they maybe traveling with are not D or D+ and P so C & A are listening to those that have called and put in their voice about this. I also added that I liked the idea of the coupons when traveling with friends that are not D, but also enjoy going into the D lounge to talk with other members.

To add I was not her first call about this either.

I also wonder why people think D would lose DL access. Did RCI just refurbish all these ships and add a Diamond Club complete with brand new signs just to kick the Ds out and have to yank down and replace all those signs? I seriously doubt they would continue to call it a Diamond Club if Diamonds aren't allowed.

Gina

^^^This was the first thing I thought when I started reading this thread! ^^^^

Honestly, sometimes CC has it right, and things get posted here before they're announced. But sometimes it's wrong. And I think it's a huge mistake to assume that adding a level between D+ and PC = kicking Diamonds out of their *on many ships* new lounges!!

Pete, I believe that they have been addressing this issue by certain subtle (or not so subtle) changes. For example, in the old program you received a point for 4,5, and even 3 day cruises. So 10 cruises and you were Diamond even if they were those 3 day Bahama trips from Miami. So they shifted to "Cruise Credits" and now those 3 & 4 day jaunts are properly weighted. And, oh by the way, starting at the first of the year new JS bookings are only 1 credit per day just like any other non Gold card stateroom. So anyone who wants double points for a JS better hustle! And double for Diamond isn't happening this December, is it? So I think that RCCL is making moves to slow down the number of C&A points getting racked up to attain the perks that come at the top levels.

When was this announced? I have not heard anything like this before.

In the old system, you received credits, not points. You have your information backwards.

Do you have a link to your JS information or is this just another rumor too?

I haven't heard this either and we book JS most of the time. We have two booked for next year. Sounds like another rumor.:rolleyes:

They'd have to lower the prices on JS because while they're bigger than balcony cabins, they're not big enough for the percentage difference in cost.

Edited by BND

Just to clarify, but C&A went from Cruise Credits to Cruise Points.

Care to share where you heard that JS cabins will only receive 1 cruise point instead of 2?

Direct from Adam Goldstein's June 2013 Blog when asked about the 2013 Diamonds in December Promo..........

What is the status of this year’s Diamonds in December? I understand some people have received emails stating that it won’t be taking place. Is this true? – Jim T.

Thank you for reaching out, Jim. It is always nice to hear from our most loyal guests. This year we will not be hosting, “Diamonds in December” but we are always looking for new ways to reward and thank our Crown & Anchor Society members for their continued appreciation to our brand and to the cruising industry. Stay tuned for announcements about new and exciting promotions.

Off subject a bit, but can you tell me what kind of mixers were available in the D+ lounge. We were disappointed last summer, as they had a very limited choice on the Rhapsody, we finally brought our own mixers onboard.

I have bought some margarita and bloody mary mixes for our TA next week

but would prefer not to have to pack them, if it is not necessary.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. I can tell you some things that they don't have. They do not have diet tonic and they do not have diet cranberry juice. They do have bloody mary fixings because I have had them in the lounge. They do not make fancy frozen drinks at all so I'm not sure if they make margaritas even if you brought the mix. You can e mail the ship's concierge and ask. My wife brings her own diet tonic.

+1. Between the cheap alcohol, cheap snacks, and overbearing blowhards bragging about their status, I just don't see the appeal of these lounges.

I was on Oasis recently. I came across one guy in Chops who would not shut up about his status, bragging away and giving all kinds of bad advice to the poor trapped couple next to him. He did the same thing a few nights later in CL and it became a battle of oneupsmanship with some TAs. I had to leave. I just spent my evenings in the VCL, enjoying the music and happy to pay for higher quality cocktails.

LIKE!!!!

I am D+ and a Suite Guest. Been in the CL one time...that was enough!

LIKE!!!!

I am D+ and a Suite Guest. Been in the CL one time...that was enough!

You should give it another chance. The experience can vary so much from cruise to cruise. You have the option of either lounge and even on the same cruise the atmosphere can be so much different in each lounge depending on who's on board. We've met great suite guests and super nice D+/PC people, too. There have been cruises where we've just gone out to a bar. The 3 drink coupons a night would be appreciated for this option.

Gina

I quote a friend who just returned from a Celebrity TA, where vouchers were in use:

Those people who say they want the lounge because they love talking with their fellow travelers? Liars. The SECOND the vouchers expired each day at 7pm, the bars emptied like a sports game had finished.

Alcohol is the KY jelly of social intercourse.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Helpful suggestion: if you don't want to engage in academic speculation regarding future loyalty program changes you should avoid threads devoted to academic speculation regarding future loyalty program changes.

There's lots of cruise critic for everyone. In fact, there's a thread today entitled "donuts on liberty," perhaps you'll find that one more interesting. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1945350

So not necessary.

Teddie

Interesting reading on this thread.

My husband and I just reached Diamond level. So far, we've only enjoyed the Diamond balcony discount!

Since our next cruise (and first as Diamond) is on Jewel, we really aren't expecting much in the way of perks, since that ship doesn't have a Diamond lounge anyway.

We reached this level one cruise at a time -- no double points. And I do have to say we would be very disappointed to learn that all of a sudden our Diamond level status doesn't really mean anything... assuming there are changes and we wouldn't be grandfathered in.

D+ is so far away for us, we probably wouldn't ever attain it.

Well being that your next cruise is on the Jewel if the three drink voucher system goes fleet wide then you would be better off. 3 complimentary beers, cocktail or wine in several of the bars versus the Diamond event of only house wine every night.

WOW youre right about Oasis TA!

We booked Oasis TA from Holland back to US the day the bookings openned. Then as the weeks and months passed I saw on these boards just who was traveling and realized it was going to be a CC who's who. With every near do well and Hot Shot nobody soaking up the resources.

impaling myself on that barge pole seems better than 14 days with that crowd!!!

We have avoided the C&A Member Cruises, the CC cruises, and the transatlantic cruises due to the above mentioned problems. We are trying our first T/A on Brilliance this coming spring because it leaves from Tampa and all the places that it stops are first time stops for us. I would not book a second one until we experience this one.

Bottom Line...

D+ spend much more with RCCL than a one time Suitie.

If anyone should be banned from the CL, it should be the suite guests!

What? No way that is ever gonna happen.

Heres a scenario: First time cruiser books the Royal Family Suite for 12 nights with two adults and 3 kids on a Radiance Class ship. Small Concierge loaded with D+ who are looking at them funny when they come in with their kids during the Happy Hour. They feel uncomfortable and when the Concierge asks them on the 3rd day why they didn't come in the last two nights, they tell him they feel uncomfortable and it was too crowded. Probably cost them 18 thousand or more for the Suite. They buy tons of pictures, get all their excursions through the cruise line, play bingo, buy all kinds of things in the shops, etc.

Then take the D+ couples with their balcony discounts swilling down free drinks and not spending much of anything on board. They arrive at the CL early and take up seats for 3 hours. They have been to the ports many times so don't book excursions, they have so many cruise photos they don't buy those anymore, they don't shop on board, etc.

This is what Royal Caribbean is dealing with.

This was announced on the Crown and Anchor website a couple of months ago.

In the old system, you received credits, not points. You have your information backwards.

Call them what you want...in the old program you got 1 point(credit) for sailing. 2 if you went in a suite, 2 if it was 12 days or longer, 3 if you did 12 days in a suite.

Do you have a link to your JS information or is this just another rumor too?

No rumor, check the C&A website or call for confirmation. Any JS reservation made prior to 1/1/14 gets 2 points per night in a JS but reservations made next year it's 1 point.

No rumor, check the C&A website or call for confirmation. Any JS reservation made prior to 1/1/14 gets 2 points per night in a JS but reservations made next year it's 1 point.

According to the Member's Benefits Page under Footnote #14 it states............

One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS) and/or sail in any category and pay a single pricing type for double occupancy staterooms.

All other rates including Travel Agent rates, as well category SI and SB, are excluded from single price type extra point promotion. Cruisetours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour.

Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category.

There is no mention of this changing effective January 1, 2014.

Edit: Just spoke with Jarid at the D+ desk and JS cabins will still be earning double points on and after January 1, 2014.

Edited by cruisenfever

OMG Patti-I was just over there and found nothing either!!

I can not believe something like this would slip through the cracks and not have an entire thread devoted to that possible scandalous change!!! ;)

Priusprof-if you could find it and link it here-that would be great! then it would be a whole new thing to complain about around here!!:eek:

According to the Member's Benefits Page under Footnote #14 it states............

One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS) and/or sail in any category and pay a single pricing type for double occupancy staterooms.

All other rates including Travel Agent rates, as well category SI and SB, are excluded from single price type extra point promotion. Cruisetours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour.

Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category.

There is no mention of this changing effective January 1, 2014.

Edit: Just spoke with Jarid at the D+ desk and JS cabins will still be earning double points on and after January 1, 2014.

The quote from the website is already showing the extra point for singles, so I would imagine that they would also have updated it so show the JS change if it were true.

We have avoided the C&A Member Cruises, the CC cruises, and the transatlantic cruises due to the above mentioned problems. We are trying our first T/A on Brilliance this coming spring because it leaves from Tampa and all the places that it stops are first time stops for us. I would not book a second one until we experience this one.

We just returned from the Brilliance Boston to Tampa repositioning cruise. There were 1708 C&A members onboard. Pinnacle - 34, D+/Diamond - 800 plus those in suites. Posted cocktail hours were 5-8 but, since 1st seating was at 5:30 pm, drinks were being poured at 4:30pm. The CL was for Pinnacle/D+ and Suites, the DL was expanded to include the Viking Crown Lounge and open to Pinnacle/D+/D and the Colony Club was the 3rd lounge for D/D+/Pinnacle. Plenty of room for everyone and never a problem to get a seat.

Cooked to order breakfast and continental breakfast was available in CHOPS for Pinnacle and D+. This was very nice, well received and you had hot, fresh food within 5-10 min of ordering. The CL and DL offered the usual continental breakfast.

The Top Tier party was held simultaneously in the Viking Crown Lounge and the Colony Club. It was crowded in both venues but doable. IMHO better than having it in the theater....which has been done before.

We were also on the Brilliance TA in August. Pretty much the same numbers and crowding in the CL and DL. We were glad to see the improvements for large numbers of D/D+/Pinnacles on the Oct repo cruise. We feel RCI is listening and trying to make it better for everyone. :)

The quote from the website is already showing the extra point for singles, so I would imagine that they would also have updated it so show the JS change if it were true.

When I just spoke with C&A D+ desk, the young man told me that the Member's Benefits page is up to date which, as you have pointed out, includes the new points structure for singles.

OMG Patti-I was just over there and found nothing either!!

I can not believe something like this would slip through the cracks and not have an entire thread devoted to that possible scandalous change!!! ;)

Priusprof-if you could find it and link it here-that would be great! then it would be a whole new thing to complain about around here!!:eek:

News like that does not fall through the cracks. :D That would have been the hotest topic on CC in a long time if it were, in fact, true.

Edited by cruisenfever

It is not on the C&A website. Still waiting on your link to the information. I see the same information that everyone else has posted. Oh, and they are points, not credits. Has nothing to do with me calling them what I want, that is what the cruiseline calls them.