bringing snacks from home

Ladypop

I can't believe I didn't think to ask this earlier instead of 48 hours before we sail!! Are you allowed to bring packed snack items onto the ship from home, like foil sealed crackers, wrapped sweets, mini chocolate bars?? Both my boys are Aspergers and like very particular brands of things. I'm sure they'll eat plenty of the ship's food, but if they're having an off day, sometimes a 'familiar' food item will really help. Is this allowed?? We're travelling from Brisbane, Australia to Fiji and New Caledonia. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

You should have no problems bringing prepackaged food items on your cruise but would check the Patter at each port to determine if you may remove them from the ship. I doubt if that would be a problem however I don't know the regulations for your ports.

Buon Viaggio! :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

On my last sailing, I brought several little packages of dried cherries with me, for healthy late night snacks without exposing myself to the caloric risk of another Princess dessert:D

I have heard on good authority that Princess desserts are calorie free. If that is not ttrue, I don't want to hear it!!!

Yes, I always bring snacks with me because I have a gluten and dairy allergy...I've never had an issue bringing them onboard. Some ports do not want opened packages of food or even fruit from the ship brought off, but I've been able to take factory sealed snacks that are unopened (like a snack bar).

Thanks for all the responses :D Everything we want to bring is individually sealed, so I'm thinking we'll be good. We'll probably bring more than we need, but we're doing a few shore tours, and a couple of people advised us that the local kids are very partial to sweets as well, so I'm sure any surplus will find a good home.:D

a couple of people advised us that the local kids are very partial to sweets as well, so I'm sure any surplus will find a good home.:D

Depending where you are, the local kids may not have access to dentists and giving them sweets may not be a good thing.

Years ago, my brother-in-law brought a couple of large bags of Cape Cod potato chips on our cruise and left them at the lounge we normally went to in the care of the bartender. Every night, they'd put some of the chips in a bowl for us while we were having drinks. Kind of doubt you could do this today. :)

I can't believe I didn't think to ask this earlier instead of 48 hours before we sail!! Are you allowed to bring packed snack items onto the ship from home, like foil sealed crackers, wrapped sweets, mini chocolate bars?? Both my boys are Aspergers and like very particular brands of things. I'm sure they'll eat plenty of the ship's food, but if they're having an off day, sometimes a 'familiar' food item will really help. Is this allowed?? We're travelling from Brisbane, Australia to Fiji and New Caledonia. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Hi-

Yes, you can and should bring familiar items for your boys. I am not sure of your sons' ages or levels of independence, so bear with me if I shoot too high or low.:)

Here are a few other thoughts:

1. Print copies of the deck plans for your boys to study in advance.

2. Let them know that when they are in a hallway with cabins, one side of the carpet is lined with red and the other is blue. This will provide a great visual support for them.

3. You may want to write some Social Stories for the Kid's Club, Main Dining Room; Asking for help, ect... (as a matter of fact, I can think of a few adult here who could use a Social Story or two1:rolleyes:).

4. You may want to let the Passenger Service Desk know that your sons have AS.

5. You may want to "cap" their on-board spending that is linked to their Cruise Card.

6. Speaking of Cruise Cards, you can ask for a hole punch at the Passenger Service Desk. You can get a lanyard at the gift shop. This may prevent lost cards.

7. You may want to prep them regarding tone and volume of voice.

I could go on and on. Obviously, this is an area of interest for me. I am not sure if this is the first cruise for your boys. If so, I would be happy to answer other questions you might have. :)

Hope I haven't overstepped here! If so, please forgive me!:o

Tracie-Lynn

Hi Tracie-Lynn thank you so much for the advice. My boys are older (13 and 18) but have never done anything like this before. We've packed their small patchwork quilts that they always have on their beds for familiarity, plus they've both had a plan of the ship to study....they're both crazy about maps, lol so this was a big hit. They each picked out a lanyard for their cards, which they've worn for the last week. They both have iPads, so we've put some familiar TV programs on there for them (complete with headphones) just in case. They're not keen on dressing up ( buttons in particular are an issue) but we've brought formal clothes just in case. If they're not up to it, we go casual. Most of the time, you'd hardly even realise there's an issue, but this the biggest change in routine they've ever had, so I wanted to cover as many bases as possible. Because I'm Aspie as well, I tend to obsess and worry about the most ridiculous non events which are never going to happen. Just as well hubby's coming along to play zookeeper.

Hi Tracie-Lynn thank you so much for the advice. My boys are older (13 and 18) but have never done anything like this before. We've packed their small patchwork quilts that they always have on their beds for familiarity, plus they've both had a plan of the ship to study....they're both crazy about maps, lol so this was a big hit. They each picked out a lanyard for their cards, which they've worn for the last week. They both have iPads, so we've put some familiar TV programs on there for them (complete with headphones) just in case. They're not keen on dressing up ( buttons in particular are an issue) but we've brought formal clothes just in case. If they're not up to it, we go casual. Most of the time, you'd hardly even realise there's an issue, but this the biggest change in routine they've ever had, so I wanted to cover as many bases as possible. Because I'm Aspie as well, I tend to obsess and worry about the most ridiculous non events which are never going to happen. Just as well hubby's coming along to play zookeeper.

You are quite funny. I have seen a number of people with HFA and AS on cruises. It actually is a holiday that seems to suit folks with AS. There is lots of routine and predictability. You may want to ask your cabin steward for 2 copies of the Princess Patter. That way both boys can plan their day and carry their Patter as a schedule.

Also, If you write a personal letter to the captain of the ship on the first day and request a tour of the bridge, he may well grant that request. Your boys would probably love that. There are lots of gadgets and gears!

I love the fact that you are so open. I hope you come back after the cruise and let us know how it went for you! Your success will help other parents and partners to take that giant leap of faith!

In the meantime, keep me posted on your progress! tracie@carolina.rr.com :)