Princess Cruises to Tweak Regal Princess Design

LauraS

This is going to make a lot of people happy. I didn't miss the Promenade access on the Royal, but so many others did.

I think it's a prime element for many of us with inside cabins. It's my favorite place to hang out, relax, read and look for sea life.

Princess has already listened and is now consequently bringing back the Promenade deck and the aft pool.. Next (hopefully) will be the previous larger-sized balconies, comfortable theatre seating (side aisles, more leg room, drink trays) and the Explorer’s lounge.. So instead of complaining about us “moaners”, how about maybe thanking us?

- Rick

Well said! Complacency never accomplishes anything!

Ernie

Jimmy! Your points are well taken! However, there are still many of us that did enjoy what we had on the Royal and will probably try to defend it.

Don't get me wrong. I have no quarrel with anyone who enjoys the ship. I just take offense to the bewilderment that some profess over the possible need for bigger balconies. The equation is quite simple. If you sail solo or as a party of two, the balconies are small but serviceable. If you have a cabin of three or four, they are not. So if one says that there is no further need for complaints about balcony size, what they are really saying is, we don't care about anyone who travels in groups of three or more. To me, there is a difference between: "The balconies are smaller than what we are used to, but as a party of two, ours met our needs" and: "Our balcony was plenty big enough for us and I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Jeesh! How much room do you need? Are you going to have a square dance out there?

Having balconies that are not large enough to accommodate a chair directly facing the ocean seems illogical to me, especially in the warmer climates. If I am spending the money for a balcony I would actually like to sit on it facing the water with the ottoman pulled out in front. Just my preference. However, I think there would be a market for floor to ceiling window/OV cabins like Oceania has. Princess could enlarge some of the cabins on the Royal/Regal by the miserly 40 sq ft and install floor to ceiling windows.

I just take offense to the bewilderment that some profess over the possible need for bigger balconies.

Some have posted that they are happy with the wider hallways on the decks with cabins.

I am not sure why Princess made them wider unless it was to allow the cabin stewards' carts to stay in the hallway without blocking other traffic.

However, I suspect most passengers would be willing to trade on future builds to have the old size hallways with the extra going instead into the balcony sizes.

Edited by caribill

Rick;

That about says it all. Well said my friend.....:):):)

Bob

Thank you Bob.. If I notice a glaringly obvious design issue which may possibly cause the frustrations/problems for thousands of passengers... why not bring it to Princess's attention, so that they can assess it for themselves and perhaps rectify it - on the Royal and all its subsequent sister ships?. It only improves things, in so many ways, for many passengers on the ship to have a central staircase.. Starting a thread about it - for me, anyway - was for the benefit of my fellow CC-ers (so that they knew about it and could book their cabin accordingly), as well as for the benefit of Princess - so that they can drastically reduce the number of potential complaints / dropped bookings they may get because of this issue..

Selfishly, of course, I wanted them to make this change (as well as bringing back the Explorer's lounge) so that my experience on these ships is nothing short of perfect.... :)

- Rick

Some have posted that they are happy with the wider hallways on the decks with cabins.

I am not sure why Princess made them wider unless it was to allow the cabin stewards' carts to stay in the hallway without blocking other traffic.

However, I suspect most passengers would be willing to trade on future builds to have the old size hallways with the extra going instead into the balcony sizes.

Interesting, I noticed they may be just a fraction wider but no wider than RCCL ships, in fact not as wide as some of the RCCL ships. On my week on the RP the hallways were frequently jammed with a bottleneck in the hallways. Remember a lot more people are using them to move from one end of the ship to the other with no center stairs. One thing to remember is the cabins are made onshore and fitted into place. You can bet the farm they along with their associated balconies won't be getting any wider on the Regal or the Royal. They would have to remake the cabins and have fewer of them. Btw to be clear I enjoyed the ship in many ways so I don't want anyone to think I am anti Royal Princess.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm going to be making final payment on my Sapphire cruise in a couple of weeks which got me thinking about the Royal. And, I realized that I'm going to miss several things that the other Princess ships don't have:

First is the expanded Piazza with so much more seating, Alfredo's, etc.

Second is the much larger Horizon Court/Bistro with it's 2-3x more offerings, greatly expanded salad bar, and so much more seating.

Third is Club 6. Yes, we really enjoyed Club 6. It's a comfortable lounge during the day for reading and a nice place to go for a drink in the evening.

Fourth are the large TVs on the wall rather than a small TV on a cabinet. I almost never even turn on the TV during a cruise. If it's news, chances are it's not good news but the same old, same old. I actually watched recorded lectures and a movie.

Fifth is the intranet. I liked being able to check the Patter on my iPhone as well as my onboard account. I hope they add new features such as being able to leave messages for others, make reservations, request room service, etc.

It's going to be hard going back to the Sapphire but I'll enjoy it's "real" promenade deck as well as it's covered pool area. Haven't heard anyone fussing about the Royal not having a true promenade deck, one with padded loungers where you could relax and see the sea, nor a covered pool. I don't know the proportion but many Princess cruises are in cooler climes and rainy weather. A covered pool area would be really nice.

I'm looking forward to being back on the Royal in September. :)

Having balconies that are not large enough to accommodate a chair directly facing the ocean seems illogical to me, especially in the warmer climates. If I am spending the money for a balcony I would actually like to sit on it facing the water with the ottoman pulled out in front. Just my preference. However, I think there would be a market for floor to ceiling window/OV cabins like Oceania has. Princess could enlarge some of the cabins on the Royal/Regal by the miserly 40 sq ft and install floor to ceiling windows.

You are so right those bal. are a waste of money.

Folks, why do you cruise? Because of large balconies, a central staircase, an aft pool or a Promenade Deck you can walk around. We cruise for vacation, the itinerary, the ship (a new experience) relaxation, or any number of reasons. Do we really want cookie cutter ships that all look the same, feel the same and offer all the same things? Or do we want an adventure?

Outstanding!

If you buy (build) a new house, do you really want "cookie cutter house that all look the same, feel the same and offer all the same things?"

Why not build a house with narrow doors, no windows, no kitchen? With a garage that does not accommodate your car? But with a nice fountain in the backyard?

Folks, why do you live?

Because of comfortable bedrooms, convenient kitchens, large windows?

Get rid of this "same old, same old".

Don't you want an adventure?

• 2 months later...

When you think about it...all of the changes to newer ships, such as smaller balconies, lack of a promenade, central stairway....all are eroding away space that can be used to cram in more revenue producing cabins on any given ship. The "Space Ratio", which is calculated by dividing the gross tons by the maximum number of passengers, has been dwindling away for years on all but the ultra-premium cruise ships....

Interesting to hear that Princess is tweaking the Regal.

Folks, why do you cruise? Because of large balconies, a central staircase, an aft pool or a Promenade Deck you can walk around. We cruise for vacation, the itinerary, the ship (a new experience) relaxation, or any number of reasons. Do we really want cookie cutter ships that all look the same, feel the same and offer all the same things? Or do we want an adventure?

Marty

After reading all of the posts on this thread to-date. Here is where I settled!

My DW and I (in our 70's) cruise for the following reasons:

1. Relaxation in comfortable staterooms (Suites if possible) As for large balconies, well yes even though there is just the 2 of us. Why go on vacation to be crowded up on a small balcony. :D
  2. And of course Piazza and the entertainment! We have never walked around the Promenade Deck yet!
  3. Number of sea days is important, being from Oklahoma, Ocean view is quite important. :rolleyes:
  4. Itinerary is important because we want to see new sights if possible, but not a port every day. (Can/NE was a mistake for us as there were too many ports. Beautiful but ....)
  5. As you might have guessed we have little if any use for pools. But why not have as many as is needed to meet the requirements of the rest of the passengers.
  6. Our adventure comes in the way of being; "Pampered and getting spoiled by the great staff". Princess is really great at Pampering!!;)
  7. Specialty Restaurants for atmosphere!

By the way it is nice to see that PCL listens to their customers!

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

What I see on the new builds such as Royal is the focus on being inside the ship...maybe to spend money. This is just a thought. When my dh and I are on a ship we like to be outside enjoying the fresh air, sunshine and beautiful views. So we love the promenade deck, reasonably sized balconies and an aft adults only pool. Everyone has different criteria when they cruise and you just have to find the right fit. For us we will continue on ships such as the Crown, Ruby and Emerald or any of the Grand class.

When you think about it...all of the changes to newer ships, such as smaller balconies, lack of a promenade, central stairway....all are eroding away space that can be used to cram in more revenue producing cabins on any given ship. The "Space Ratio", which is calculated by dividing the gross tons by the maximum number of passengers, has been dwindling away for years on all but the ultra-premium cruise ships....

The central stairway is there, just not finished with carpet, etc. for regular use by passengers. That was a cost savings during the build, not a reduction in space.

The central stairway, by the way, is available for passenger use for the muster drill and in case of a real emergency.

What I see on the new builds such as Royal is the focus on being inside the ship...maybe to spend money. This is just a thought. When my dh and I are on a ship we like to be outside enjoying the fresh air, sunshine and beautiful views. So we love the promenade deck, reasonably sized balconies and an aft adults only pool. Everyone has different criteria when they cruise and you just have to find the right fit. For us we will continue on ships such as the Crown, Ruby and Emerald or any of the Grand class.

I think that's a fair assumption.....:D:D:D

Bob

I'm going to be making final payment on my Sapphire cruise in a couple of weeks which got me thinking about the Royal. And, I realized that I'm going to miss several things that the other Princess ships don't have:

First is the expanded Piazza with so much more seating, Alfredo's, etc.

Second is the much larger Horizon Court/Bistro with it's 2-3x more offerings, greatly expanded salad bar, and so much more seating.

Third is Club 6. Yes, we really enjoyed Club 6. It's a comfortable lounge during the day for reading and a nice place to go for a drink in the evening.

Fourth are the large TVs on the wall rather than a small TV on a cabinet. I almost never even turn on the TV during a cruise. If it's news, chances are it's not good news but the same old, same old. I actually watched recorded lectures and a movie.

Fifth is the intranet. I liked being able to check the Patter on my iPhone as well as my onboard account. I hope they add new features such as being able to leave messages for others, make reservations, request room service, etc.

It's going to be hard going back to the Sapphire but I'll enjoy it's "real" promenade deck as well as it's covered pool area. Haven't heard anyone fussing about the Royal not having a true promenade deck, one with padded loungers where you could relax and see the sea, nor a covered pool. I don't know the proportion but many Princess cruises are in cooler climes and rainy weather. A covered pool area would be really nice.

I'm looking forward to being back on the Royal in September. :)

Pam--the Sapphire is my favorite ship. I doubt you will be disappointed. First, it has an Alfredo's so you won't miss that (I grant you a smaller menu). True, the atrium is smaller, BUT there are so many fewer passengers that it is uncrowded. We have sailed her 5 times and never had a problem finding atrium seating, even in Alaska.

The Sapphire's buffet was recently redone, and I'm pleased to say with the addition of seating in the covered pool area, it works well.

The Sapphire's TVs were replaced by the large TVs about 3 weeks ago.

There is no club 6 or intranet as you describe---but you will find places to get a drink and being unplugged is a great trade for a walk around promenade, uncrowded public spaces, stairs, and an aft pool. Well, that's my opinion. I hope you agree.

I love this ship, but to me it's biggest problem is the lack of being able to eat alone as a single or couple. There is ONE two person table in each anytime dining room for a total of 4 (don't tell me the row tables are for two, because they are awkward at best and tables for 4-6 in reality). There are no two person tables in traditional dining. Even the buffet has mostly large tables or tables for two slid together. The tables for four next to the window have been replaced with odd round tables for 6 that look very strange there--and encourage people to sit together. But it's a small complaint really and only affects those who don't enjoy eating with strangers. Like me, but even I can live with it! Enjoy your cruise!

So why did they spend all that money to make state of the art Youth areas if they were trying to "filter" out families? Why mark your deck plan to show that over 50% of the cabins can hold more than two people? There is nothing inherently wrong with an "adults only" ship. But Princess did not build this ship as an Azamara ship nor does it market it as P&O does its "adults only" ships. To the contrary, there are copious references to family cruising on the Princess website as it pertains to Royal. So while the small balconies may have the effect of filtering out families, I do not believe for a minute that this was their hidden agenda.

Jimmy when the deficiencies were being highlighted and discussed on the threads about Royal the Boosters would have none of it.

They would attack and savage any poster with a contarian view of the ship.

Now that Princess is adjusting to the negative reviews of Royal the Boosters will still blindly defend their positions as they did in the past.

For all those who responded to the negative comments about Royal with " Isn't it wonderful that you have so many options go cruise another ship."

That appears to not be the tactic Princess wants taken, they are concerned about the deficiencies on Royal and are trying to adjust to them.

As you have pointed out they have more to do but at least they are aware.

Now that Princess is adjusting to the negative reviews of Royal the Boosters will still blindly defend their positions as they did in the past.

For all those who responded to the negative comments about Royal with " Isn't it wonderful that you have so many options go cruise another ship."

That appears to not be the tactic Princess wants taken, they are concerned about the deficiencies on Royal and are trying to adjust to them.

As you have pointed out they have more to do but at least they are aware.

Good point and smart on the part of Princess seeings as the older ships in the fleet won't be around forever.

For those who think Royal Princess is a none issue please read the 2 most recent posts on the ship in the Member Reviews section.

The 1st gives a 5* with no problems but does describe the balcony as "adequate" but not what you expect with a 5* rating.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=249644

The 2nd review is 2* and very specific in their disappointment "We chose a mini suite on marina deck, lanai was tiny, even after we had the steward remove the table we still had difficult sitting on the lanai, and we are athletic people, not large." they won't be back.http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=249556

Even positive reviews tend to contain a large amount of negatives about the ship.

Here is a recent 4* rating review but they won't be back.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=249556

Princess has their work cut out as they cannot retro the balcony and room size.

They can make some changes as they have shown and that will go a long way to increasing cruiser satisfaction.

Edited by baldercash