FOUND MONEY CLIP...Brilliance of the Seas

calfan8819

Husband and I cruised Nov 9th-16th. We stayed in cabin on 3rd deck. We found a money clip on the floor under the bed. Cabin steward said it was not his. If you cruised Brilliance the weeks before tell me your cabin number and describe money clip please. We want to return it to its owner.....maybe it was important to you !

Why did you not turn it in to guest service?

They can easily contact passengers staying in this storeroom on previous cruises.

This was my immediate thought. You actually TOOK it and did not return it immediately to guest services???? They could easily locate the last occupant of the cabin - we can't. That poor person is probably frantically contacting lost and found and maybe even blaming the poor room steward.

If you did actually take it, you need to get it back to Miami immediately.

Husband and I cruised Nov 9th-16th. We stayed in cabin on 3rd deck. We found a money clip on the floor under the bed. Cabin steward said it was not his. If you cruised Brilliance the weeks before tell me your cabin number and describe money clip please. We want to return it to its owner.....maybe it was important to you !

Welcome to Cruise Critic - it certainly is an interesting first post.

If the goal is to return it, we also wonder why you didn't just turn it in :confused:

Just give RCI a call and get in touch with their lost and found people.

I am sure that if the person that lost it is looking for it, he/she is in contact with RCI.

calfan8819, you can reach Royal Caribbean's Lost & Found department at (800) 256-6649, choose option 2.

If the goal is to return it, we also wonder why you didn't just turn it in :confused:

Does it really matter?

Maybe they were running late, went to turn it in, and there was a line an hour long, and they would have missed their plane, or ...... whatever.

The important thing is the OP is making the efforts to return it.

But, let us not miss our opportunities to question a poster's motives.:(

If you turn it into L&F, it may not go any further. People have related stories about turning in a camera or expensive sunglasses and then found out who they belonged to and told them to go to L&F because they turned them in. L&F did not have whatever it was.

More stories about people immediately calling after discovering things had been left in the cabin. Told everything was turned in to L&F in Florida. Called Florida, no items.

I think the finder is doing the best he/she can under the circumstances. The odds of cash getting back to its owner are slim and none and Slim just left town. Too many hands have access to it with no chain of accountability.

At best, I would report the find to L&F and tell them if someone asks about it to contact me but I'd never leave it with them.

Tucker in Texas

Does it really matter?

Maybe they were running late, went to turn it in, and there was a line an hour long, and they would have missed their plane, or ...... whatever.

The important thing is the OP is making the efforts to return it.

But, let us not miss our opportunities to question a poster's motives.:(

great_minds_are_skeptical_sticker-ra1b4bf74c0dc4f3e860cfcc687f30ada_v9waf_8byvr_512.jpg

If you turn it into L&F, it may not go any further. People have related stories about turning in a camera or expensive sunglasses and then found out who they belonged to and told them to go to L&F because they turned them in. L&F did not have whatever it was.

More stories about people immediately calling after discovering things had been left in the cabin. Told everything was turned in to L&F in Florida. Called Florida, no items.

I think the finder is doing the best he/she can under the circumstances. The odds of cash getting back to its owner are slim and none and Slim just left town. Too many hands have access to it with no chain of accountability.

At best, I would report the find to L&F and tell them if someone asks about it to contact me but I'd never leave it with them.

Tucker in Texas

I agree with you, especially since it is cash, it would disappear as fast as you could turn it in, there is no one that has accountability for it once it is turned into guest services.

You did the right thing by keeping it, but I would get a hold of Royal to let them know if someone inquires about the missing money clip and can identify it, then I would only send it to the person who lost it.:D

Keith

The odds of cash getting back to its owner are slim and none and Slim just left town. Tucker in Texas

The OP didn't specifically state this but I understood it was just a money clip not a money clip with cash in it.

Obviously, I may have read between the lines and could be incorrect but the way the OP was describing how it might be important to somebody I took that as sentimental value for the clip itself. If it did contain cash, the Room Steward may have taken it to lost and found or had some sort of protocal to follow...not sure.

I don't see a problem with what the OP did. Chances are that cash will never make it back to its rightful owner; there are too many places where it could get 'lost' along the way. At least they are making an attempt. I had a bad experience turning in found money to a place of business. In the future, I would only turn found money into the police and not a business.

Edited by marci22

What cash are people talking about? The OP said they found a money clip and "maybe it was important to you". They never said there was any money in the clip.

Yup, it's that CC reading comprehension thingy again. :D

There are two, obvious, possibilities here.

1 We have a masterful stirrer playing the all too willing CC contingent.

2 We have an innocent who is being slammed for doing something that seems pretty slammable...

Either way.... who looks silly in the end...

jc

The majority of passengers are not members of Cruise Critic, so the chance of finding the owner is probably slight. I'm not sure why you didn't hand it in while you were on board, but as you didn't, I imagine the best thing to do now is to contact Royal Caribbean and give the stateroom number and see what their advice is.

...You did the right thing by keeping it....

You really think that? Hmm, interesting. It wasn't his/hers to keep, though. Absolutely not. The person who lost it will contact Royal - and they will be told it was not turned in. Hoping for a favorable outcome but not expecting one, and I'm not being pessimistic - just realistic.

A few years ago I accidently left some jewelry in the stateroom and we contacted Royal Caribbean as soon as we returned home from our cruise. We were told that nothing was found in the room. In my opinion the OP did the right thing by not giving the money clip to guest services. In seems to me, the clip most likely belonged to someone from the cruise prior or many cruises before the OP's. I think the OP did the right thing by posting on here and I also recommend that he/she contact RC and let them know they have the money clip. If the owner of the money clip contacts RC, then perhaps the money clip will go back to the rightful owner.

Yes, I assumed that there was some amount of money in the clip, and that the OP was not saying what it was because the real owner should know.

I agree and to turn it into guest services with money in it would be crazy. Hate to say it, but more things turned into lost and found mysteriously disappear then ever found. :rolleyes: I doubt "cruise Critic" is the only message board the OP has found to post on. CC is not the only game in town. OP may be trying every avenue including contacting the Cruise line.

If you find a $100.00 bill laying on the floor at K-mart, do you keep it, or turn it into the service desk? The concept of finders-keepers is that the find keeps the item if the original owner is not found. In the case of money, the finder, by giving it to another person, makes the new person a new "finder" and thus would be the one who keeps it. Now, if that $100.00 was in a wallet with a drivers license, than you know the owner, thus would make an effort to contact them.

Things get lost on ships, planes and hotels all the time. Some things are of value, and some things might just be sentimental, such as possibly what the OP was asking. Never said it was of value, just something that belongs to someone, and they would be happy to ship it to them. Maybe it was engraved, and looked special.

There is no "right" way of handling this. The only "right" way is that a person, makes an attempt. There is no "rule" that states a "finder" should not take position of a lost item, and if that "finder" makes an attempt to find an owner, than they did the right thing, and if unsuccessful, is not the new owner.