corkage fee question.........

thyme2go

OK--these may seem self evident, but I'd like to know for sure. So when you bring more than one bottle pp on board, there is the $15 corkage charge for excess. Does that become the first items charged to your on board account? And you could use your OBC for it? TIA.......

If they charge corkage it's charged to your onboard folio account & offset by any credits you may have.

This summer on our Alaska cruise it was charged directly to our MasterCard. A receipt was issued.

Theo

Just ask your room steward for a couple of clean wine glasses every day and bring your own corkscrew from home. I've never had an issue.

Our you could get a couple glasses from the bar and barrow a corkscrew from the barkeep or your room steward and not incur the corkage fee.

Eat more BACON

Our you could get a couple glasses from the bar and barrow a corkscrew from the barkeep or your room steward and not incur the corkage fee.

In most cases now -- if you bring more than one bottle on board -- you will be charged 'corkage' at embarcation. So, you won't be able to get glasses from your steward to avoid it.

Always had the wine glasses available to me from my cabin steward, the only type of glass they don't have are martini, but then I borrow two from the bar and keep them handy to enjoy martinis on the balcony. Has always worked for me on every cruise line. I like a drink on my balcony rather than sitting at a bar pre-dinner.

In most cases now -- if you bring more than one bottle on board -- you will be charged 'corkage' at embarcation. So, you won't be able to get glasses from your steward to avoid it.

Just ask your room steward for a couple of clean wine glasses every day and bring your own corkscrew from home. I've never had an issue.

If they have implemented the new corkage policy, only one bottle per person may be brought on without paying the corkage. It doesn't matter where you will drink the extras.

If we receive or send a gift of wine purchased through Princess Gift Services will there be a corkage fee - or we will even be allowed to take it to dining?

You get a gift card(s) in your cabin worth up to certain $$ amount. Hand this card in at dinner and select off the wine list. If you select a wine more than the value of the card your folio will be charged the difference. Less, no refunds. No additional corkage fees. You can take the bottle back to your cabin if you wish. Also, if you don't finish the entire bottle at one meal the waiter will save it for you for the next time.

if you've printed Princess luggage tags lately, there is a notice on them that says :

Bringing Alcohol Onboard?

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy:

* One 750ml bottle of wine or chsmpagne per adult per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

* Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

* Other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited. Luggage is subject to search.

I know this is subject has a LOT of tangent's to it..........but my original question was whether the corkage will be charged to our shipboard account.......which would mean that OBC can cover it. It sounds like at least one person didn't have this happen and was charged directly to a credit card.....not through the ship's system? Anyone else know what happens??? We were really hoping that our OBC would cover it.

I know this is subject has a LOT of tangent's to it..........but my original question was whether the corkage will be charged to our shipboard account.......which would mean that OBC can cover it. It sounds like at least one person didn't have this happen and was charged directly to a credit card.....not through the ship's system? Anyone else know what happens??? We were really hoping that our OBC would cover it.

Sailed out of Seattle with 2 extra bottles this summer. I'm pretty sure it went on our shipboard account, but would have to check my statements (at home) to be sure.

if you've printed Princess luggage tags lately, there is a notice on them that says :

Bringing Alcohol Onboard?

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy:

* One 750ml bottle of wine or chsmpagne per adult per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

* Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

* Other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited. Luggage is subject to search.

Oh thank you so very much. I never knew this we were on NCL this year for a change and paid 15 per bottle but had no idea Princess allowed this. I like a certain Asti the lines don't carry and will be sure to bring it next year when we return to Princess.

I double checked for you on our credit card statement and also the ship board statement and it confirmed that it was charged directly to our MasterCard. This was in Vancouver. I don't know if other ports handle it different.

Theo

Thank you Theo, cruzsnooze, and sherryf---(hope I got those right). It sounds like a crapshoot. I don't like the way this works! :( Or at least the fact that it is very inconsistent which means we won't know until we are there and trying to board. If they have a credit card on board why wouldn't it be charged to that number through the folio system? Just thinking out loud and being flustered.........I thought this was a simple question and the answer was obvious.

Edited by thyme2go
corrected names.

Always had the wine glasses available to me from my cabin steward, the only type of glass they don't have are martini, but then I borrow two from the bar and keep them handy to enjoy martinis on the balcony. Has always worked for me on every cruise line. I like a drink on my balcony rather than sitting at a bar pre-dinner.
I'm sure you can continue to get as many glasses as you wish from your cabin steward. But, as they now charge you 'corkage' when you bring the wine on board, you won't save the corkage by drinking in your cabin. That was the point.

Our experience on a 20 day b2b on the Emerald commencing 9 Nov (Fort Lauderdale), was that on the first segment, all 5 bottles of wine were allowed on board and we paid corkage in the main dining room. On the second segment we paid corkage (above the 'free' allowance) on embarkation which was charged to our on board account. A sticker was placed on the bottles on which we had paid corkage. Interestingly, our waiters said they hadn't seen the stickers before!

It appears that the only consistent thing regarding the application of the policy is the inconsistency!

Departed San Pedro November 16th, Princess had signage all the way to the lounge stating "alcohol checkpoint ahead". Two Princess employees at a table checked all six bottles, placed a sticker on four of them and charged my on-board account $60.00

There was no provision for direct billing a credit card.

Personally, I like the new process. It makes carrying bottles into the dining room much easier, since the wait staff can easily identify bottles which were pre-paid.

I double checked for you on our credit card statement and also the ship board statement and it confirmed that it was charged directly to our MasterCard. This was in Vancouver. I don't know if other ports handle it different.

Theo

Perhaps you had no other OBC? All of your expenses get charged to the credit card on file. If you have no other OBC to cover the corkage then it only makes sense it would be charged directly to the credit card. If you have other OBC (military credit, stockholder credit, etc.) then it "should" come out of that first.

If we receive or send a gift of wine purchased through Princess Gift Services will there be a corkage fee - or we will even be allowed to take it to dining?

From our experinece, the price paid from gift services includes corkage and gratuity. Same as if ordering the bottle in the dining room.

Perhaps you had no other OBC? All of your expenses get charged to the credit card on file. If you have no other OBC to cover the corkage then it only makes sense it would be charged directly to the credit card. If you have other OBC (military credit, stockholder credit, etc.) then it "should" come out of that first.

No, it makes sense to always put in to the onboard account whether there is OBC or not, just like any other expense for that cruise.