Chip & Pin Cards

SadieN

Any new info about American companies offering true Chip and Pin technology?

DD studies in Rome and she says she will not be able to use her swipe and pin card much longer. She uses a Schwab card now. Schwab does not offer one.

Did a search on the main board and haven't found anything too recent.

This thread (which I bookmarked) has good info on one of the only (if not the only) places to get a chip and pin card in the US:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1859063&highlight=chip+pin

If you want a more recent update, I'd post on this thread (on the Italy ports of call forum).

Edited by cruisemom42

This thread (which I bookmarked) has good info on one of the only (if not the only) places to get a chip and pin card in the US:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1859063&highlight=chip+pin

If you want a more recent update, I'd post on this thread (on the Italy ports of call forum).

Thank you! That was the thread I was searching for. Clicked on everything around it.:rolleyes:

USAA offered to change my cards to chip and pin, but since I am not going back to Europe in the near future, I will pass on it for now. EM

Isn't USAA only for Military?

I'm not sure why some US companies are giving out the chip cards instead of chip and pin. Is the chip card (without pin) any better than our old ones?

The way I understand it is that many other countries (e.g., virtually all of Europe) have gone to the chip and pin cards BUT that merchants are still required to be able to process the magnetic strip cards that the US continues to issue. I am not sure whether that situation will continue indefinitely and already one cannot use a US-type magnetic strip card at unmanned locations (e.g., an automatic ticket machine, toll booth, gas pump).

I haven't been able to figure out any real advantage of the "chip and signature" cards. Some have reported that there is a way to use them at unmanned places, but others have not had success.

It wouldn't surprise me if, as SadieN suggests, merchants want to phase out using the magnetic strip cards altogether. In the last couple of years when I've been in Europe it is sometimes hard to convince merchants to use the magnetic strip cards and some employees have no clue how to use them. I suppose having the "chip and signature" card would help alleviate that problem, but it's an interim step that I'd prefer to skip in favor of getting the real chip and pin card.

The way I understand it is that many other countries (e.g., virtually all of Europe) have gone to the chip and pin cards BUT that merchants are still required to be able to process the magnetic strip cards that the US continues to issue. I am not sure whether that situation will continue indefinitely and already one cannot use a US-type magnetic strip card at unmanned locations (e.g., an automatic ticket machine, toll booth, gas pump).

I haven't been able to figure out any real advantage of the "chip and signature" cards. Some have reported that there is a way to use them at unmanned places, but others have not had success.

It wouldn't surprise me if, as SadieN suggests, merchants want to phase out using the magnetic strip cards altogether. In the last couple of years when I've been in Europe it is sometimes hard to convince merchants to use the magnetic strip cards and some employees have no clue how to use them. I suppose having the "chip and signature" card would help alleviate that problem, but it's an interim step that I'd prefer to skip in favor of getting the real chip and pin card.

We were at a fairly upscale restaurant in Barnet, just north of London, and they would not accept any card which was not chip and pin - they simply had no magnetic tape reading capability. I expect that more and more European establishments will go that route -- it is simpler for the merchant and, in fact, safer for the customer.

We were at a fairly upscale restaurant in Barnet, just north of London, and they would not accept any card which was not chip and pin - they simply had no magnetic tape reading capability. I expect that more and more European establishments will go that route -- it is simpler for the merchant and, in fact, safer for the customer.

I agree.

Unfortunately, I have spent many (!) hours on this issue, talking to various banks. About a year ago, a lot of them starting promoting a "chip" card (without mentioning that they are not "chip and pin" so I called most of them and spent time conversing about the issue of international travel. The companies without exception will swear up and down that merchants are still required to accept magnetic strip cards if they accept MasterCard or Visa. (Apparently it's part of the deal the merchant agrees to.) However, in actual practice I have also been turned down with my magnetic strip card at a couple of restaurants (one in Italy, one in France) and one store in Greece where no one could figure out how to run the card. I have also read stories of it happening more frequently in the Northern European countries, including England.

Anyone traveling with a magnetic strip card should be aware that this CAN happen (though officially it shouldn't -- at least, not yet) and be prepared with a possible backup payment method.

In Canada and probably also in Europe the debit cards are also chip and pin.

Ahhh...I see. I hadn't heard this nor have I run across a bancomat that requires chip and pin in Europe.

But I don't think any of the cards currently available to US customers are debit cards.

We have had chip and pin cards in Canada for a few years so not sure why such a delay in USA.

As mentioned cards without chip and pin cannot be used at ticket machines in stations etc in Europe.

Unfortunately, many institutions in the US are infected by the arrogance which comes from believing that our internal economy is big enough to permit them from doing business as usual, without trying to keep up with what the rest of the world is doing. They are saving money (short term) while letting technology get ahead of them.

My PNC ATM card has an EMV chip in it....I assume it will work in Europe. (better ask, huh?)

My latest AAdvantage (citibank) card has a visible chip in it. Probly need to get a pin for it.

From reading the merchant side of the CC/ATM business, it seems that October of 2015 is a major marker to compel acceptance of the chip n pin tech in the US. After that date, any merchant that accepts a non-EMV credit or atm card that is used fraudulently will be liable for the loss.

(this information was gleaned from the merchant account pages of PNC Bank and wiki Travel)

Edited by thinfool

My PNC ATM card has an EMV chip in it....I assume it will work in Europe. (better ask, huh?)

My latest AAdvantage (citibank) card has a visible chip in it. Probly need to get a pin for it.

From reading the merchant side of the CC/ATM business, it seems that October of 2015 is a major marker to compel acceptance of the chip n pin tech in the US. After that date, any merchant that accepts a non-EMV credit or atm card that is used fraudulently will be liable for the loss.

(this information was gleaned from the merchant account pages of PNC Bank and wiki Travel)

Like the other US cards, it is most likely not a c&p card, but a chip & sig card. My Amex Platinum card and HHonors Reserve Visa card both have the visible gold chip in them. But, they do not have the pin, just the sig… Perhaps all these c&s cards will be activated at the 2015 cutoff date to turn in to c&p. Otherwise, as I've found out in Europe this Spring, the cards are as worthless as the mag strip cards for automated kiosks (train tickets, gas stations, etc.).

Like the other US cards, it is most likely not a c&p card, but a chip & sig card. My Amex Platinum card and HHonors Reserve Visa card both have the visible gold chip in them. But, they do not have the pin, just the sig… Perhaps all these c&s cards will be activated at the 2015 cutoff date to turn in to c&p. Otherwise, as I've found out in Europe this Spring, the cards are as worthless as the mag strip cards for automated kiosks (train tickets, gas stations, etc.).

I think we've been through this discussion before.

I have a "Norwegian" Bank of America card with a chip and magnetic strip.

(if it did not have a magnetic strip it could not be used in the United States)

You may call it a chip and signature, however it also has a PIN number.

I called B of A and they assured me, "This is a chip and PIN card" .

I do not use it for kiosks train tickets, etc. Other than that, I've had no issues using it in Europe.

However, with MY card, ALL transactions made with the PIN are considered a cash advance, and are charged as such, so I do not use the PIN number.

Did I help confuse everyone?:)

Edited by $hip$hape