Problem with a US travel agent !!

Whitechapel girl

Kevin, I started a new thread today as we have also booked for the first time in the US and saved about £600 + $400 OBC. I have been told by my agent in the US that even though he has added the 123go, he cannot guarantee it as Celebrity might pull it once they see we are from the UK. Did your TA confirm you would def get the perks? Thanks

Hi,

Yes I was very specific in asking if the 123 promo would still fully apply with us being in the UK. Its all appeared on the Celebrity invoice and agents confirmation. The agent deals with lots of UK residents and has never experienced an issue.

Also the Celebrity terms and conditions for the promo make no mention of any restriction.

Well done on your saving!

Kev.

Edited by kevinyork

I did business with a very large Florida agency that offered huge OBC. I had to cancel my B2B cruises due to illness and I got absolutely no assistance from them as far as help with my travel insurance. When I asked if they could assist me with the documents, I was told: "we don't do that". Other times I've had to file a claim TAs (from other agencies) have always been helpful.

The letter with the promised explanation of penalties never came either and that was supposed to be from the supervisor. Thank goodness I was able to provide the insurance company with adequate documentation and got a check that covered all paid expenses.

I will never allow myself to be greedy again and most certainly won't book with that agency, but I don't think all online agencies are as awful as the one in Florida, if we are thinking of the same one.

I have never asked or gotten assistance from a travel agent on an insurance claim. We do purchase the insurance independent of the agency.

I did business with a very large Florida agency that offered huge OBC. I had to cancel my B2B cruises due to illness and I got absolutely no assistance from them as far as help with my travel insurance. When I asked if they could assist me with the documents, I was told: "we don't do that". Other times I've had to file a claim TAs (from other agencies) have always been helpful.

The letter with the promised explanation of penalties never came either and that was supposed to be from the supervisor. Thank goodness I was able to provide the insurance company with adequate documentation and got a check that covered all paid expenses.

I will never allow myself to be greedy again and most certainly won't book with that agency, but I don't think all online agencies are as awful as the one in Florida, if we are thinking of the same one.

"the one in FL"? That is not really a fair statement. There are many online agencies in FL. I have used three different ones without a hitch.

I am aware of one agency that has a $398 non refundable deposit. I had to cancel a cruise that I booked through them, and they kept my deposit. Their stated policy is the non refundable deposit can be used on a cruise booked within 6 months of the cancellation. I was surprised and very happy when they let me use the deposit on a cruise I booked 3 years later. I did not even have to ask for it.

Anyone who books with an online agency anywhere would be wise to look for reviews/complaints about that agency.

"Anyone who books with an online agency anywhere would be wise to look for reviews/complaints about that agency.

While I totally agree with you, I also know that some people complain about all sorts of things.....just look at reviews of cruise ships! Two people go on the same cruise and have totally opposite experiences. I'm sure the same is true for TAs - no matter their location. Discontent is usually LOUD.

Give the TA a chance to make things right. I'm SURE they are aware of this forum and a number of others. Doubt they want the bad PR, regardless of their volume!

p.s. I've had agents leave between booking and sailing and never had a problem with the agency making good on a booking. Hang in there!

I've booked with a US agent and am in Australia. He obtained the 123 promo for us plus OBC. That offer is also available in Australia anyway. The offer doesn't show in my personaliser but on advise of others I'm just taking all the TA documentation.

With Aussies, many cruise lines won't refund deposits. Prices are generally but not always cheaper in the USA. And not many Aussie TAs offer OBC.

Edited by Pushka

While I totally agree with you, I also know that some people complain about all sorts of things.....just look at reviews of cruise ships! Two people go on the same cruise and have totally opposite experiences. I'm sure the same is true for TAs - no matter their location. Discontent is usually LOUD.

Give the TA a chance to make things right. I'm SURE they are aware of this forum and a number of others. Doubt they want the bad PR, regardless of their volume!

p.s. I've had agents leave between booking and sailing and never had a problem with the agency making good on a booking. Hang in there!

Yes, if yo0u read 100 reviews some will be negative. I HAVE EXPERIENCED Nothing materially negative. And yes, some people blame the agent for bad weather. If you do a search the very few bad ones will usually be obvious.

It is not fair to degrade all FL agents based one one's experience with one agent/company. Maybe we have both just been lucky.:)

I don't know if this applies to all cruise lines or travel agencies but this is at the bottom of my reservation

"Pricing is based on at least one passenger per reservation being US/Canada/Mexico residents. Any reservation not pre-registering with at least one passenger from these countries is subject to immediate cancellation or fare increase of up to 20% of the total trip cost."

.🎅🎄

I don't know if this applies to all cruise lines or travel agencies but this is at the bottom of my reservation

"Pricing is based on at least one passenger per reservation being US/Canada/Mexico residents. Any reservation not pre-registering with at least one passenger from these countries is subject to immediate cancellation or fare increase of up to 20% of the total trip cost."

Did you book direct with Celebrity?, if not, I hope this is a rule laid down by your TA and not Celebrity. There have been many, many posts from non-US cruisers booking in the USA. They can't all have had one member of the party from North America. We gave a UK address on the reservation. Our Captains Club numbers are also on there and are shown clearly in the My Reservation part of the website.

I have booked with Travel Agent's and directly with Celebrity. I usually shop around for the best price and the best perks or obc. When getting the obc with the Travel Agent I always save the original email and receipt where they write in the correct information. If it is not there I call until I get it. Then the obc never shows on the Celebrity website. But the Travel Agency has always come through with the obc and it does not appear until the second night of the cruise. We check our bill daily to make sure the right things are there. You have to be very proactive in all traveling experiences.

Happy sailing. :cool::cool::cool:

I have booked with Travel Agent's and directly with Celebrity. I usually shop around for the best price and the best perks or obc. When getting the obc with the Travel Agent I always save the original email and receipt where they write in the correct information. If it is not there I call until I get it. Then the obc never shows on the Celebrity website. But the Travel Agency has always come through with the obc and it does not appear until the second night of the cruise. We check our bill daily to make sure the right things are there. You have to be very proactive in all traveling experiences.

Happy sailing. :cool::cool::cool:

Last Cruise our TA surprised us with more OBC than what was promised. Many thanks.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

By way of an update on a response to my query to the TA - I have sent 2 chaser emails since my original email and still no response!! I think this is quite bad on behalf of the TA, even if it was just a courtesy email to acknowledge my emails. Think I will give the agent a ring after the Xmas/new year holidays to find out for definite what is going on with our booking. I'm on a mission now to get a response !!

By way of an update on a response to my query to the TA - I have sent 2 chaser emails since my original email and still no response!! I think this is quite bad on behalf of the TA, even if it was just a courtesy email to acknowledge my emails. Think I will give the agent a ring after the Xmas/new year holidays to find out for definite what is going on with our booking. I'm on a mission now to get a response !!

Don't stress over the holiday period, just relax and sort it out in the new year.:D

Be interested to hear how you get on and by private message who you are dealing with

Just a few:

Non refundable deposits, no changes without incurring further charges or losing all deposits paid, higher deposits for NCC (Passages certificates), unable to change cabins if booked guarantees (even if other cabins are available in the same category issued), very little perks if any at all are actually given by TAs, usually higher prices in general, most TAs do not offer price drops.....the list goes on and on and on....

Others will quote we are better protected - I'm not going to go into that argument again, other than saying, 'if you only book the cruise segment without it being part of a package, then it doesn't make one iota of difference where you book it!' You only get the extra protection if it's part of a package ;). You'd have to make any claims via your CC or through your travel insurance (which is far more commonly purchased in the UK rather than the States).

Now, I'll get off my soapbox :p

Question from me tho, do US TA's have an equivalent of ABTA? Ie if they go bust, your booking is still covered?

Question from me tho, do US TA's have an equivalent of ABTA? Ie if they go bust, your booking is still covered?

It seems to me that some of the answers are potentially confusing. I have never heard of ABTA, so I doubt that they have it.

It is important to only book with a TA where are payments are made directly to the cruise line and not the TA, so you do not need to be concerned about losing your money if the TA goes bust. You might lose whatever extra benefits that the TA was offering, but nothing that you paid. Of course you want to make sure that you use a charge card. Once I had a cruised booked where the Cruise Line went bust and I was able to get my deposited refunded from my Charge Card.

It seems to me that some of the answers are potentially confusing. I have never heard of ABTA, so I doubt that they have it.

It is important to only book with a TA where are payments are made directly to the cruise line and not the TA, so you do not need to be concerned about losing your money if the TA goes bust. You might lose whatever extra benefits that the TA was offering, but nothing that you paid. Of course you want to make sure that you use a charge card. Once I had a cruised booked where the Cruise Line went bust and I was able to get my deposited refunded from my Charge Card.

Good advice. Make sure you have your travel purchases covered.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I have never asked or gotten assistance from a travel agent on an insurance claim. We do purchase the insurance independent of the agency.

You need the help of the agency to provide documentation to process the claim. Rarely does your confirmation paperwork fully comply with what any insurance company asks for.

In the event of a cancellation, a good agent will recognise the stress their client is going through anyway and most automatically generate the paperwork/ give guidance on how to claim even when the insurance when purchased independently. Sad the poster hit a lousy one that left her to it

Unlike over here, as soon as we've paid anything by CC (ensuring the protection) to our US TA, the payment has been shown on our cruise reservation on-line i.e. goes straight to cruise line. Which includes the Tuesday specials (which again, we're unable to obtain here - forgot to add that to the list of differences :D), where my booking was showing instantly. Additionally, we mostly use future cruise certificates and so your deposit is paid whilst onboard to the cruise line directly.

As jagoffee stated, ensure you book with a TA where your payments show immediately on the cruise line website, pay with a CC and purchase travel insurance. I personally prefer a US TA that I can communicate with rather than just an on-line booking facility.

FYI,I have been on a sailing where the cruise line insisted the passengers that had booked a flight package with them (UK bookings), who also could not disembark due to a hurricane and the airports being closed, pay for the privilege of staying on the ship in this unprecedented occurrence :eek:. They were informed to pay upfront and claim the difference from their travel insurance after being taken home four days later. So, in that case, little would their ABTA/ATOL protection or anything else except from their travel insurance have helped them, and obviously ensuring they were not up to the limit on their CC (which I think is very important as you never know when you may need that extra money for protection on the way home).

Every situation is different ;). On a well-known consumer protection programme over here, I recall seeing quite a few disgruntled travellers waiting for refunds after the last wave of TAs going bust. You take your chances and hope for a great cruise :D. Btw, I check both sides of the pond for deals/promotions etc. before deciding which way to book ;).