If I book Aqua can I eat in MDR?

gordylad

Can someone who has actually done this comment on how easy it is to work out? I've seen reports that sound like you need special permission and need to arrange it in advance with the maitre d'. We'll be in AQ for our 10 day Reflection cruise in May --- we liked Blu last time but may want an occasional change of scenery.

We have been in this situation on 4 cruises (most recently a week ago) and here is the "real story." The procedures will vary depending on your particular ship and also how crowded the various seatings/select are in the MDR. The normal procedure is that you would go to Blu and just tell the host/hostess that you want to dine in the MDR that particular night (you could also tell them you want future nights). They will usually telephone the maitre'd in the MDR and make arrangements. On some cruises you will have to choose between early and late MDR seatings because Select is overcrowded (this happened to us on the Silhouette). On other cruises you will be able to dine at either seating or Select. But it is all pre-arranged by the Blu staff. The reality is that you are assigned to Blu...so when and where you dine in the MDR is really on a space available basis. But you can always dine in the MDR if it is your choice.

Now I will add that we just came off the Eclipse (this past Saturday) where we were pretty much "blown away" by the quality of food and service in Blu. On our previous cruises in Blu the food has been fine..but not outstanding. But on the Eclipse we thought the food in Blu was near outstanding! We think some of this is due to the revamped Blu menus...and part of it was due to the talented Jamaican chef who ran the Blu galley on the Eclipse.

One other thing. Blu now offers some MDR options (this used to be hit or miss) based on previous complaints. We could order Escargot, French Onion Soup, or Shrimp Cocktail, and a great Ceasar Salad at any meal...even though these items were not listed on the menu (ask your waiter). They also added some of the MDR standard desserts to the Blu Menu (these items were actually listed on the menu) including things like the Cheesecake and Crème Brulee.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

On our September cruise on the Millennium it was NOT necessary to go through the folks at Blu. We were in Aqua and simply showed up at the MDR and asked for a table. They never asked room number, or anythinng else. We were always seated promptly.

Edited by Bfson

Can someone who has actually done this comment on how easy it is to work out? I've seen reports that sound like you need special permission and need to arrange it in advance with the maitre d'. We'll be in AQ for our 10 day Reflection cruise in May --- we liked Blu last time but may want an occasional change of scenery.

We were book in Aqua, dining in Blu. On our last cruise we just did not like the menu in Blu on many nights. But we ate in Blu all but one night. We just went up to Select Dining and asked for a table of 4. We were seated right away. Our next cruise in Aqua we are planning to eat more in Select Dining. For us Blu never had Prime Rib on a 10 day cruise. They had it twice in MDR. Richard

I done it, that is why I posted :rolleyes:

We were on the Silhouette in November. Ate half the time in Blu and half in the MDR when we wanted to join our friends. Did it this way for the past 3 years with no problem whatsoever. The maitre d's were fine with it.

On our last 2 cruises on the Solstice and the

millennium we started in Blu and lasted a couple of nights and then switched to the MDR. We didn't ask anyone and just turned up. On the Solstice we met some people and just joined their large table every night as there were two empty seats.

On the ML we just went to select any time we were ready and asked for a big table. We never had to wait.

We liked the food much better in the MDR and it was much more fun.

Will just point out that Select is sometimes overbooked and those of us who chose it are made to wait for tables. Those who are assigned to Blu and just "show up" at Select are taking tables from those of us who are assigned to it. We can't do the same (just show up at Blu and take YOUR table!).

Also please consider the gratuities. You who just show up and walk into the MDR w/o discussing with your BLU staff are causing problems for the gratuity system. talk to your BLU staff and your tips will get reassigned to the MDR staff

Will just point out that Select is sometimes overbooked and those of us who chose it are made to wait for tables. Those who are assigned to Blu and just "show up" at Select are taking tables from those of us who are assigned to it. We can't do the same (just show up at Blu and take YOUR table!).

Also please consider the gratuities. You who just show up and walk into the MDR w/o discussing with your BLU staff are causing problems for the gratuity system. talk to your BLU staff and your tips will get reassigned to the MDR staff

Don't tips have to be pre paid for Blu? I know they are for Select dining.

My husband is not a fan of Blu ( for dinner) and we purposely did not book an AQ cabin for an upcoming 2 week cruise as we were told by Celebrity that the option to dine in the MDR was space available only and not guaranteed.

I am glad to learn that perhaps I had bad advice and can book AQ for some of the other perks, and still use the MDR for dinner.

Seems since suite passengers seem to have a full benefit of Blu, that it would be beneficial to the cruise line to easily allow AQ passengers to dine in the MDR, freeing up tables for the increased Blue usage to accommodate suite passengers.

I enjoyed breakfast in Blu very much and am sorry to give that up with our non AQ/non suite accommodations. Wish we had gotten better information from Celebrity.

M

We have been in this situation on 4 cruises (most recently a week ago) and here is the "real story." The procedures will vary depending on your particular ship and also how crowded the various seatings/select are in the MDR. The normal procedure is that you would go to Blu and just tell the host/hostess that you want to dine in the MDR that particular night (you could also tell them you want future nights). They will usually telephone the maitre'd in the MDR and make arrangements. On some cruises you will have to choose between early and late MDR seatings because Select is overcrowded (this happened to us on the Silhouette). On other cruises you will be able to dine at either seating or Select. But it is all pre-arranged by the Blu staff. The reality is that you are assigned to Blu...so when and where you dine in the MDR is really on a space available basis. But you can always dine in the MDR if it is your choice.

Now I will add that we just came off the Eclipse (this past Saturday) where we were pretty much "blown away" by the quality of food and service in Blu. On our previous cruises in Blu the food has been fine..but not outstanding. But on the Eclipse we thought the food in Blu was near outstanding! We think some of this is due to the revamped Blu menus...and part of it was due to the talented Jamaican chef who ran the Blu galley on the Eclipse.

One other thing. Blu now offers some MDR options (this used to be hit or miss) based on previous complaints. We could order Escargot, French Onion Soup, or Shrimp Cocktail, and a great Ceasar Salad at any meal...even though these items were not listed on the menu (ask your waiter). They also added some of the MDR standard desserts to the Blu Menu (these items were actually listed on the menu) including things like the Cheesecake and Crème Brulee.

Hank

I'm SO happy to read this! :D

We'll be on the Eclipse in February in Aqua. I just hope the wonderful Jamaican chef you had will still be onboard then! :D

Some good points. On my last cruise Select was totally booked up, so it would not have been considerate at all to just show up. I would recommend discussing the topic with the Blu staff the first night and ask them the proper way to handle it for that particular cruise as it can definitely vary depending on the logistics of that cruise. On some cruises, showing up may be just fine. On others, they may need to arrange seating for you. Best to ask ahead of time.

If you don't want to dine in Blu but want the extra credit book a CC cabin, you get the same 5 points per day. That will allow you to dine in the MDR and may save a little on the cabin rate.

.🎅🎄