NZ Customs Confisicate Windjammer Napkins

Last week on Voyager of the Seas all passengers had bags searched for all ports in New Zealand for shore leave. At our first NZ stop Port Chalmers (Dunedin) I could not believe the amount of full napkins with food in them from Windjammer being found in bag searches. Announcements were made prior to leaving the ship about food being bought in New Zealand but heaps took no notice. They were so lucky they did not get fined as New Zealand and Australia take this very seriously.

I wonder how many of those napkins would have been returned to Royal if they got past NZ Customs.

How interesting. There are plenty of idiots with no shame around.

We had sniffer dogs at Melbourne and Auckland on previous trips, so they are certainly serious about customs rules, as they should be. Some people have no idea about the safety of food industries. Bugs and other horrible things can cost industries a hell of a lot of money, and even lively hoods.

We were just in Cozumel Friday and there was a man with a dog walking through the crowd as we walked from the pier. He was sniffing out fruit from back packs. It was amazing to see the dog sniff and bark continuously if he came upon fruit. We were warned numerous times but people thought they could get away with a couple of bananas or an apple. Those caught looked very embarrassed.

How interesting. There are plenty of idiots with no shame around.

We had sniffer dogs at Melbourne and Auckland on previous trips, so they are certainly serious about customs rules, as they should be. Some people have no idea about the safety of food industries. Bugs and other horrible things can cost industries a hell of a lot of money, and even lively hoods.

So nice to hear that someone is taking their job seriously. I agree 100 percent that food system protection is paramount and in the US we are now battling many pests that is threatening our Christmas trees and Ash trees here in Vermont to give a couple of examples. Shame on those morons who again show how selfish we have become today.

And yet people will continue to ask if it is okay to take food off the ship, and some people on these boards will continue to tell them that it is ok because they have done it and not been caught, or because they haven't seen anyone checking, or they don't believe that some small amount of fruit or other foods will have a damaging effect on a country's environment. :rolleyes:

And yet people will continue to ask if it is okay to take food off the ship, and some people on these boards will continue to tell them that it is ok because they have done it and not been caught, or because they haven't seen anyone checking, or they don't believe that some small amount of fruit or other foods will have a damaging effect on a country's environment. :rolleyes:

Some folks are simply too dense to understand that you don't treat a sovereign government's rules and regulations the same way as RCI's suggested MDR dress code. The rules about taking food ashore don't exist simply because the country wants to make sure that its streetside hotdog vendors get more business.:rolleyes:

Those same people spent a couple thousand or whatever on their cruise, but anything to save a couple bucks in port:rolleyes: Pathetic.

Restrictions on fruits, veggies and other foods is because of pests and disesases they are trying to keep out of their country.

When we disembark at the end of a cruise there's always an "amnesty" bin before you go through customs with a big sign announcing the penalties for bringing food ashore - and it's always full by the time we get off the ship:eek:

As Forrest Gump said, "you can't fix stupid":D

Last week on Voyager of the Seas all passengers had bags searched for all ports in New Zealand for shore leave. At our first NZ stop Port Chalmers (Dunedin) I could not believe the amount of full napkins with food in them from Windjammer being found in bag searches. Announcements were made prior to leaving the ship about food being bought in New Zealand but heaps took no notice. They were so lucky they did not get fined as New Zealand and Australia take this very seriously.

I wonder how many of those napkins would have been returned to Royal if they got past NZ Customs.

very interesting. never knew people would do this.

very interesting. never knew people would do this.

I can't even watch those customs shows on TV anymore as the morons that try to bring this crap in are so outraged that they can't get away with it. They aren't even apologetic that they have made a silly mistake, they are angry!

I can't even watch those customs shows on TV anymore as the morons that try to bring this crap in are so outraged that they can't get away with it. They aren't even apologetic that they have made a silly mistake, they are angry!

...sounds a lot like those who end up at the " naughty room". Hmmm sounds like a new reality show....." Rum Runners Busted" .......honey, call my agent...:D

Restrictions on fruits, veggies and other foods is because of pests and disesases they are trying to keep out of their country.

I absolutely never do what the people did on this cruise, but I am willing to bet that the food on the ship either was put there in Australia or New Zealand ports. IE it is not like it from the Sudan or Puerto Rico... Just saying... seems like a bit of a lot what is typical of all governments... over reaction...

No personal insight, but.... opinion based on historical evidence...

jc

Maybe..but a fly from some island lands on the ship, then hops on someone's banana, then that banana gets carried ashore and suddenly you alter the ecostructure.

Just sayin'

I am with you on overreach, but to understand tough agricultural rules.