cutting it too close?

SparkleBee

do you think it's ok to arrive in Copenhagen at 1:20 to get to a cruise that leaves at 6:00? if the flight is delayed I am totally screwed, right?

Right. You really should arrive at least one day ahead of your departure date.

Edited by njhorseman

I am not familiar with Copenhagen, but it is bound to take an hour or more to get off the plane, collect luggage, clear immigration, clear customs and get a taxi to the port. You will probably need to check in 4pm or so. That leaves very little margin for error. As NJhorseman said, fly in the day before.

Am wondering where you are flying from? If it is the USA, you are absolutely nutz to fly-in the same day as your cruise. If you must do this, then you should have a Plan B which would be how to catch-up to the ship the next day (if its in a port).

Hank

I've flown in the day of a cruise many times but don't think I've ever planned to cut it that close (that being said I had a number of delays two years ago wound up landing in Barcelona 2 hrs before the ship sailed. We made it but just).

You don't provide enough information about your flight to provide a better idea of the risk.

-Are you arriving directly from the US or are you connecting in Europe somewhere?

-Are you able to arrive earlier in the day or as someone mentioned perhaps arrive the day prior?

-What are your options if you miss the ship? Where is the first port and is it the next day? Will you be able to join the ship there?

I'd consider this only if there weren't better options available. It appears to be a 30 minute cab ride from the airport to the pier so when you add on all the time needed you do have a bit of time, but not if you run into delays.

I surely hope that I am not causing you more anxiety but I would definitely fly in the day before your cruise. Copenhagen has a great airport which is not far from Copenhagen's port. That is on the plus side. Copenhagen' weather can be iffy any time of the year, and for this reason I would fly in a day early. This is based on two visits to that lovely city.

wow guys, thank you very much for the feedback! I will sadly nix the 1:20 flight. I suppose you will say no to the 12:00 arrival as well....

due to the way the flights work out I've decided to visit CPH after the cruise instead of before.

I have flown twice from Newark to Copenhagen, leaving the evening prior to the cruise, but arriving in Copenhagen at 7am. Never had a problem and Princess was right there to board the shuttle to the ship. Arriving at 1pm would worry me, at least I had a couple hour buffer.

wow guys, thank you very much for the feedback! I will sadly nix the 1:20 flight. I suppose you will say no to the 12:00 arrival as well....

Of course. The only safe flight is one that is scheduled to arrive the day before. You asked, we answered, and I would guess that most of us answering have done it (travelled to Europe, I mean).

yes, I certainly appreciate everyone's feedback! so great to have all the input from people more experienced. I have found a flight that gets in at 10:10, am considering that. but I promise nothing later for sure. :) thanks again!

Honestly, I would be severely stressed out trying a same day flight into Europe. I have never been there, but I wouldn't mind a day or two ahead, and being able to relax. That's what we do for any cruise that's not from our home port (which is an hour's drive for us, and even then, we're raring to go by 10am). Even when we had our Alaskan cruise, I arranged for our train up the west coast to arrive Friday night for a Sunday cruise. The next day allowed us to relax for the train trip, do a little sightseeing (I've been to Seattle but not hubby or my daughter), and do a little shopping of things we didn't want to pack. We spent a few days post-cruise sightseeing too.

I would think with a trip to Europe, I would want to make it two days before so I can recover from the flight.

do you think it's ok to arrive in Copenhagen at 1:20 to get to a cruise that leaves at 6:00? if the flight is delayed I am totally screwed, right?

Even without knowing where you are coming from, it is a safe guess that you are involved in a couple of plane changes, every one with the potential of a delay because your incoming plane is late arriving.

There is no way I would risk jeopardizing the amount of money and time invested by not being there the evening before. It is a no brainer IMO.

Copenhagen is a fabulous city, very walkable and delightful to visit. If at all possible, try to arrive there at least one day pre-cruise. It is so worth it for peace of mind in terms of boarding, fighting jet lag and enjoying one of Europe's most charming, small cities.

IMO

Copenhagen is a fabulous city, very walkable and delightful to visit. If at all possible, try to arrive there at least one day pre-cruise. It is so worth it for peace of mind in terms of boarding, fighting jet lag and enjoying one of Europe's most charming, small cities.

IMO

Yes, arrive at least a day in advance. Enjoy the evening in a new city while tasting the local cuisine and seeing the lights of a city unlike your own, then have a good night's sleep, wake up late and have a leisurely breakfast, and when YOU are ready, take a taxi to the port and board your ship, rested, relaxed, and refreshed. There is no better way to start a new cruise adventure.

yes, I certainly appreciate everyone's feedback! so great to have all the input from people more experienced. I have found a flight that gets in at 10:10, am considering that. but I promise nothing later for sure. :) thanks again!

*sigh* You appreciate our advice but are not taking it. I honestly am afraid for you. WHY would you do this? Book a lovely cruise and yet put it in jeopardy with that flight? Do you have a Plan B? Can you get yourself to the first port if you miss embarkation? But it doesn't sound like you will be listening anymore anyway...

We are flying from the east coast to Rome (FCO). We originally planned to only fly in ONE DAY in advance, but we are thinking we should do two days. We've been to Rome before and we will have an additional day when we disembark in Civitavecchia, but now we are thinking that one more day would be the safe way and would give us that additional day to enjoy without stressing. Never would be fly from the U.S. to Rome to board on the same day we arrive...JMO. Sorry.

if the flight is delayed I am totally screwed, right?

No, you're not. Norwegian Air has frequent nonstop flights from CPH to OSL, which will allow you to catch up to your ship in Oslo the following day. You'll just miss Copenhagen and, most likely, Oslo as well. If you're okay with that, then go for it.

No, you're not. Norwegian Air has frequent nonstop flights from CPH to OSL, which will allow you to catch up to your ship in Oslo the following day. You'll just miss Copenhagen and, most likely, Oslo as well. If you're okay with that, then go for it.

I can't imagine trying to play catch up and missing any part of a cruise. Plus, doesn't it cost extra in change fees to add on a flight to a different city or divert to a different city?

I would imagine just trying to adjust to a whole different time zone. For the OP, going from the Pacific Time Zone to Copenhagen (if going during standard time, and assuming Copenhagen observes DST, that is still a nine hour difference) is a difference of nine hours. And doing a quick check on one travel site, it looks like flights from LAX to Copenhagen range from 14 to 18 hours. After that, I certainly wouldn't think twice about scheduling an arrival at least the day before (maybe even two days) just to decompress.

There are two general ports in Copenhagen that are within 1/2 hour of the airport, and there is one at a marginally greater distance.

Customs and Immigration is relatively painless there but you should plan on an hour.

All routes from the airport to the cruise ports are on city streets with no limited access.

You could make the ship by 1 if you arrive on the 10:10 flight if it is on time, and that's the big unknown.

Even if you plan on "seeing" one of Europe's great cities you are missing most of the contributing posters point. You risk missing the ship and you will certainly be in no shape to enjoy the flight to Oslo.

As one of my high school teachers said to me when I contradicted him - don't confuse me w the facts; my mind is made up"

DON