Celebrity's Dress Code

ladyjane550

Bogan Chic ? Don't they know it needs to be ironed?:eek:
But irons are prohibited on the ships! :eek:

Maybe they could send it out for dry cleaning.

Upon second reading of the dress code though, they should be okay.

There is no prohibition on showing up in the dining room with wrinkles on formal nights.

Good thing too for many of us above a certain age, or we would never be admitted without getting a face lift. ;)

One thing that should be banned in these threads is comparisons between ignoring the dress code and disobeying a speed limit when driving - unless of course anyone can prove that dress codes save lives.

Actually, based on a study of all the James Bond movies I can see a possible link between tuxedoes and gun-related violence. Perhaps this issue need to be addressed with appropriate laws.

Wow, lots of testy-ness!

There are places for punk music, blue jeans, flip flops, tank tops, but the main dinning room on a formal night is not one of them. Or, maybe even casual nights as well?

One could also argue that there are places for tuxedoes and ball gowns but a mass-market cruise vacation may not be one of them.

You do not need coats or ties on Oceania, but jeans are NOT permitted at night in the restaurants

For the record Oceania has recently changed their dress code to state CASUAL jeans not allowed at night.

I doubt the denim tux was a serious suggestion. That would be a modern twist on those awful leisure suits that were popular in the '70s.

I'm wearing a Denim Leisure suit in my Senior Picture, with a flowery shirt with wide lapels. Class of 76:o I doubt I was the only one.

Edited by ORV

I am going on a 17 day cruise on Celebrity in October....both my husband and I are elite, if that makes the remotest bit of difference. On formal night he is going to wear a beautifully made for him personally sports coat, nice trousers a shirt and tie. There is absolutely no possibility that he won't be able to get into the dining room on formal night (been on enough cruises to know this). He won't spoil anyone's dinner ambiance because he looks wonderful in his jacket. It was specially made for him for a reason and no one...absolutely no one, is going to look down their nose at him because he is not wearing a tux....or I will have words with them.

We are very much looking forward to our cruise and meeting lots of wonderful people at dinner just the same as we have on the last 30 cruises we have been on.

Nicola

I am going on a 17 day cruise on Celebrity in October....both my husband and I are elite, if that makes the remotest bit of difference. On formal night he is going to wear a beautifully made for him personally sports coat, nice trousers a shirt and tie. There is absolutely no possibility that he won't be able to get into the dining room on formal night (been on enough cruises to know this). He won't spoil anyone's dinner ambiance because he looks wonderful in his jacket. It was specially made for him for a reason and no one...absolutely no one, is going to look down their nose at him because he is not wearing a tux....or I will have words with them.

We are very much looking forward to our cruise and meeting lots of wonderful people at dinner just the same as we have on the last 30 cruises we have been on.

Nicola

Wow.

Edited by Ma Bell

I'm curious as to how Oceania differentiates between casual and other (formal, smart, ???) jeans.

Much like Celebrity they just post the dress code. As usual people will probably interpret it they way they want it to be.

"Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club-casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.'

Much like Celebrity they just post the dress code. As usual people will probably interpret it they way they want it to be.

"Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club-casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.'

LOL. Yes, there's probably a thread on the Oceania forum debating which jeans are or aren't acceptable. :)

Wow, lots of testy-ness!

My turn. Cruising has changed over the years. The ambiance and romance have been replaced by fun ships, do your own things, surfing on deck, and other gimmicks. It all had to happen, I guess, to sell cabins and make stock holders happy. If I could afford it, I would use Crystal or do the Queen, but I can't.

Not to embarrass any cruise line, not too long ago I was on a cruise out of Puerto Rico. The 7 day event was populated with loud, booze drinking, and poorly dressed folks. On formal night there were so many people allowed in the MDR with shorts and flip flops, it was horrible. The cruise folks did nothing. To add insult to injury people were getting sick and were obviously intoxicated but never asked to leave the MDR.

I guess it is also a factor of society today. Maybe cruising will again become a place to at least "pretend" to be elegant and where people cherish etiquette and great behavior. Food for thought? Maybe. Or maybe making a buck is less important to being classy and a bit more elegant. There are places for punk music, blue jeans, flip flops, tank tops, but the main dinning room on a formal night is not one of them. Or, maybe even casual nights as well?

My last 2 cents - leaving this discussion so I don't get into trouble with censors.

:-)

You raise good points. Like flying, cruising is nowhere near as exclusive as it used to be. The basic price hasn't really increased in the 25 years I've been cruising. The industry has sharply increased the available rooms and has to fill them, so they've had to move beyond their traditional demographic. The decline in formality and elegance is an inevitable result of this. I can remember when people used to dress up to fly. No more. Cruising has seen a similar demographic change. I care a lot more about people's overall behavior than whether they wear jeans in the dining room. I'm there to have a good time and I don't want to deal with trashy people or riff-raff. Beyond that, I couldn't care less. Live and let live.

Nicola

Why mention the fact that you are Elite - this has no bearing on following or not following the dress code. Yes I agree - your husband will not have any problem getting into the dining room on formal night in his sports coat which is not in adherence to the formal dress code. So while you might think it is not going to ruin the ambiance for someone else - how would you know this. Why not let him look wonderful in a suit? And what words would you be having with someone who would be correct in that he is not in compliance? This has nothing to do with someone looking down their nose - it has to do with those that chose to follow guidelines and those that chose not to follow the guidelines.

But irons are prohibited on the ships! :eek:

Maybe they could send it out for dry cleaning.

Upon second reading of the dress code though, they should be okay.

There is no prohibition on showing up in the dining room with wrinkles on formal nights.

Good thing too for many of us above a certain age, or we would never be admitted without getting a face lift. ;)

Very funny indeed.:D

I only mentioned that we were elite to let people know that we have been on lots of cruises, lots of different lines with NO problems in the dining room. My husband does not have a suit and doesn't need one for work. He also has a back problem that means that off the shelf jackets look awful on him. Before you go saying things about what is permissible or not, think that there might be a reason for someone wearing something specific.

I have to say Jane, that I think you are quite rude with your comments. My husband feels great in his jacket and he doesn't need someone with no manners telling him he doesn't conform to your perceived code when Celebrity is happy to have him in their dining room

Nicola

Edited by Theodorable

Nicola

Good for you Nicola.

Why mention the fact that you are Elite - this has no bearing on following or not following the dress code. Yes I agree - your husband will not have any problem getting into the dining room on formal night in his sports coat which is not in adherence to the formal dress code. So while you might think it is not going to ruin the ambiance for someone else - how would you know this. Why not let him look wonderful in a suit? And what words would you be having with someone who would be correct in that he is not in compliance? This has nothing to do with someone looking down their nose - it has to do with those that chose to follow guidelines and those that chose not to follow the guidelines.

Jane is right and I agree 100%. She took the words out of my mouth.

I only mentioned that we were elite to let people know that we have been on lots of cruises, lots of different lines with NO problems in the dining room. My husband does not have a suit and doesn't need one for work. He also has a back problem that means that off the shelf jackets look awful on him. Before you go saying things about what is permissible or not, think that there might be a reason for someone wearing something specific.

I have to say Jane, that I think you are quite rude with your comments. My husband feels great in his jacket and he doesn't need someone with no manners telling him he doesn't conform to your perceived code when Celebrity is happy to have him in their dining room

Nicola

I'm not trying to be rude but the discussion is about the dress code and formal night - I agree your husband will have no problem getting into the dining room on formal night in a sports coat even though it is not in adherence to the formal dress code. I find it rude that people book a cruise - and then won't use the alternative dining venues when they chose to ignore the dress code. I'm sorry if your husband has a back problem that can't be fun - being Elite you cruise often enough - so why not have a suit jacket made? There are many lines that cater to those that wish to be more casual - why then ruin it for those that chose to keep it more formal?

The fact is Charlie, in life, our friends have common interests and principles. Whether it's political beliefs, religious beliefs or just simple social issues. I would not be friends with anyone that would purposely do something against the rules or regulations. To me, that's a window into who they really are. Would sitting at the dinner table on formal night with someone wearing Dockers and a short sleeve Polo pullover kill me? No. Would I look at that person differently than those that abide by the dress code? Yes.

Well, that is not how I live my life. My friends have many different interests and principles. Different political beliefs, religious beliefs and social issues beliefs. I don't have a litmus test for friends on the above. My only test is that they are not criminals, evil or obnoxious.... Adherence to dress rules and regulations is not something I consider significant. It does not threaten anyones safety or health.

I totally agree with you, Jane....I am amazed by the number of cruisers who ignore basic guidelines, I just got off the Silhouette where I saw grown men wearing BALL CAPS in the dining room at dinner!! Dress code should be respected as closely as possible so as not to ruin it for others.

A sport jacket is a lot closer to the dress code than a ball cap. That being said I saw many men without jackets in the dining room on Silhouette last week, and even a couple walking in just "carrying" the jacket the Maitre D gave them, that is just disrespectful and lame. My son (13) was better dressed than many men.

My husband and I are doing our first Celebrity cruise in March after doing 5 cruises on other lines. I don't want this post to sound rude or I don 't want to offend anybody. However, for the past few months, these discussions around dress code seem out of control. I understand that Celebrity has guidelines for dress but there are so many judgements going on here that it is unbelievable. My husband and I are both professionals and we dress appropriately to do presentations, attend meetings etc. For my husband, that means a navy sport coat, grey pants, and tie. For myself, it is usually a simple dress with nice shoes. We will wear these clothes on our cruise. As in the workplace, there will be people who dress better than us but there will also be those who don't have as much confidence or fashion sense and will dress differently. It will not impact on my cruise. I am very discouraged by the negative and judgemental comments on these discussions. Although, I understand that there are rules, so much time can be spent by staff trying to enforce this rule, that other service can be impacted. Is this really what you want to happen..?

My husband and I are doing our first Celebrity cruise in March after doing 5 cruises on other lines. I don't want this post to sound rude or I don 't want to offend anybody. However, for the past few months, these discussions around dress code seem out of control. I understand that Celebrity has guidelines for dress but there are so many judgements going on here that it is unbelievable. My husband and I are both professionals and we dress appropriately to do presentations, attend meetings etc. For my husband, that means a navy sport coat, grey pants, and tie. For myself, it is usually a simple dress with nice shoes. We will wear these clothes on our cruise. As in the workplace, there will be people who dress better than us but there will also be those who don't have as much confidence or fashion sense and will dress differently. It will not impact on my cruise. I am very discouraged by the negative and judgemental comments on these discussions. Although, I understand that there are rules, so much time can be spent by staff trying to enforce this rule, that other service can be impacted. Is this really what you want to happen..?

And this is exactly the problem . . . it is FORMAL night - not BUSINESS night as decreed by Celebrity. While I admire that you and your husband dress appropriately for business - it has nothing to do with dressing for formal night - where a "sport jacket and simple dress" is not within the requested dress code. So if you chose to not bring formal wear - then perhaps it would be a great night to experience a specialty restaurant, buffet or room service. What we want to happen is for the stated dress code to be enforced - otherwise before long we will be dining with people in their pajama pants. It is a down hill slide.