Services you wish cruises offered: Cruise Ship Attorney?

AndrewOu

Hey everyone,

As a businessman the more I cruise the more I think about what cruises could offer to increase their value or "sell" more to the customers that customers would want.

My idea was for cruise ships to have an onboard attorney offering legal services, probably mainly in the wills/trusts/estate planning area based on the general age of most cruisers, and probably some other basic services as well.

I was hoping for some input from the Cruise Critic community, as the most active and passionate cruisers what you all think of that idea, and also if anyone has had any other ideas for services they wished were on the ships. (This isn't business related and I have no plans to try to execute this, I just think it's an interesting topic)

Thanks in advance for all your input.

...My idea was for cruise ships to have an onboard attorney offering legal services, probably mainly in the wills/trusts/estate planning area based on the general age of most cruisers, and probably some other basic services as well...

Nice idea since passengers are a captive audience on sea days. But in practice it would not work beyond general counseling. First, there is the practical matter of different 50 different jurisdictions of estate law - and that's just for US residents. A lawyer must be licensed to practice law in a particular state or he/she has to refer a client elsewhere. Clients need documents listing assets. How many people here worry enough about their travel documentation? And finally people on vacation are not in a frame of mind to think about their eventual demise.

Each state has their own specific laws regarding the forms and format required to create a legal will. Trusts are complex and need to be prepared by an attorney intimate with the understanding of their clients needs and wishes, not to mention within the laws governing probate in the state in which the trust is conceived in. This is not something that could just be done in a whim at sea, and frankly I would be highly suspicious of the motivation of any attorney who claimed the ability to create a one size fits all will or draw up a binding trust with the limited knowledge they might gain during a 20 minute consultation.

I suppose if your entire estate consisted of a car valued at $800, $5000 in personal effects, and a checking account with $623.07 in it, and you had no children or outstanding debt, it wouldn't be a big deal. But for pretty much anyone else, the services of a qualified, licensed, competent attorney should be utilized when it comes to estate planning. I'd add that these decisions should be made during a consultation devoid of the distractions of a cruise ship--or any vacation.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

My idea was for cruise ships to have an onboard attorney offering legal services, probably mainly in the wills/trusts/estate planning area based on the general age of most cruisers, and probably some other basic services as well.

First, wouldn't there be a rather significant problem with jurisdiction? Would you spend time and money with a total stranger located FAR from home on something with long ranging legal consequences?

Second, since I gather you are assuming that the general age of most cruisers is senior, don't you think that they would have already taken care of these things at home? Where they had ready access to all of their financial documents, etc.?

Third, do you really think that people who are on vacation and 'getting away from it all' want to spend their time on something as complex and serious as wills and estate planning?

I would be as likely to consult a lawyer at sea as I would be to get plastic surgery at sea.

As was mentioned above, there are all sorts of administrative, statutory, maritime and jurisdictional issues that would make this a difficult proposition, not to mention a cruise line trying to protect itself from any legal hassles that may arise. But the main issue would be that I don't want to think abut my eventual "check out time" while having a blast on my cruise. I know we've all gotta go sometime, but a cruise is probably not the best time to make thoughtful, important decisions of this nature.

I can't even begin to imagine the complaints and moaning and groaning that would go on if this happened. This is an awful idea.

1. As noted by others, too many different local differences

2. Does anyone really want an estate planning pitch on vacation?

3. What is the recourse when something goes wrong? Can you imagine the lawsuits against cruise companies or third party contracted attorneys when something gets screwed up?

This reminds me of the topic a few months ago which was the discussion that the cruise lines could offer elective surgery in foreign ports for people. The issue here is that there is probably no way to predict if you will be able to do a day surgery for a procedure you need done. So then what happens, you need to wait a week for the next cruise? What if that cruise is full, etc..

No, a vacation is a vacation to me. It is a place to get away from work, life, and everything else I "NEED" to deal with and instead deal with things I "WANT" to do.

I would never use a lawyer on a ship. I cannot fathom the logistical nightmare.

Hey everyone,

As a businessman the more I cruise the more I think about what cruises could offer to increase their value or "sell" more to the customers that customers would want.

I was hoping for some input from the Cruise Critic community, as the most active and passionate cruisers what you all think of that idea, and also if anyone has had any other ideas for services they wished were on the ships. (This isn't business related and I have no plans to try to execute this, I just think it's an interesting topic)

I can't see any cruise line paying an attorney to sit around a cruise ship and wanting to talk about their wills, etc.

Attorney's charge big fees -- more than what a cruise would be willing to pay.

Generally many of us have long ago made out our wills. We have our own stock broker, attorney and CPA. All plans are in place.

Maybe a few young people would be interested -- but do you think after talking with an on-board attorney that they will follow through once at home?

Let's first assume you're serious. Aside from all the other legitimate concerns voiced on jurisdiction and practicality, my vacation on a cruise ship is absolutely the last place I would seek to waste time with any type of legitimate legal advise through a random attorney.

Also highly doubt if any cruise line would sanction it as it would be a private business enterprise with no direct value to them. Nor would they want to spend any time in qualifying credible candidates or have their name associated with any privately practicing attorney on their ships.

Sorry, but this is a very poorly thought out and terrible idea, IMO - again assuming you're being serious.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

How many people would go the the attorney on the ship wanting to sue the ship they're on because:

The food was no good

They missed a port

Someone was smoking

Chair Hogs

The list could go on forever. I don't think this business plan would work.

Don

Hey everyone,

Cruise Critic is a great place to learn all about cruising and other cruisers. But it's not where I would be looking for a job.

Know your broker.

Know your jeweler.

Know your lawyer.

I cannot fathom ( :) couldn't resist the nautical term) going on a cruise and hiring a lawyer for non-cruise related services. I also cannot imagine getting botox on a ship. Or podiatry services.

Ok, here is my idea. How about a "Sharing Kiosk". This is a place to go and ask if anyone has a (fill in the blank), sewing kit, roll of duct tape, packing tape, hole punch, first aid kit, pepto bismol, immodium, Dramamine....ok, you get the idea. My thought is that look at all the weight it would save if we ALL didn't bring EVERYTHING because we knew we could borrow something on board. Just a thought....

Who the heck would want to be sitting talking to a lawyer after spending so much money to be ON VACATION? Hey Andrew, seeing you're a new law school graduate, one would think you'd know about the impossibilities of such a thing. Not only that, but what if a "client" were upset with the service and filed suit against the cruise line and lawyer? Not a far fetched possibility, knowing how litigious people can be.

Reminds me of the guy who posted some months back wanting to put a tattoo parlor by the shops on a ship. Could you imagine the potential lawsuits with that?