Bumped from a cruise; what should we expect?

DAK76

On a Summit cruise last February (2013), we booked a summer 2015 cruise to the Galapagos; with the advanced booking, we were able to choose an optimal cabin and secure good discounts. On returning home, we convinced friends to sign on to the same itinerary.

(For what it's worth, we're 8-time Celebrity cruisers, plus some RCCL and two Azamara cruises.)

Today, we received a call from Celebrity, informing us that the cruise had been "chartered out"; we were given the option of re-booking (with a promised credit) or canceling.

When we called the provided phone number, we were referred to another. When we called that number, we were put on hold for 15 minutes or more.

Our friends got through first, and were offered a chance to re-book another cruise around the same time (inconvenient), but the cabins we originally selected are no longer available, so we are looking at something like a $750 per person increase for the available cabins. We spent a whole evening on the phones, and we still have no satisfactory answer; it looks like we may end up with a serious compromise on the date to get anything like the fare we thought we had signed up for.

We've had a great relationship with Celebrity up until now; I'd hate to think it doesn't count for anything when adjustments need to be made.

On a Summit cruise last February (2013), we booked a summer 2015 cruise to the Galapagos; with the advanced booking, we were able to choose an optimal cabin and secure good discounts. On returning home, we convinced friends to sign on to the same itinerary.

(For what it's worth, we're 8-time Celebrity cruisers, plus some RCCL and two Azamara cruises.)

Today, we received a call from Celebrity, informing us that the cruise had been "chartered out"; we were given the option of re-booking (with a promised credit) or canceling.

When we called the provided phone number, we were referred to another. When we called that number, we were put on hold for 15 minutes or more.

Our friends got through first, and were offered a chance to re-book another cruise around the same time (inconvenient), but the cabins we originally selected are no longer available, so we are looking at something like a $750 per person increase for the available cabins. We spent a whole evening on the phones, and we still have no satisfactory answer; it looks like we may end up with a serious compromise on the date to get anything like the fare we thought we had signed up for.

We've had a great relationship with Celebrity up until now; I'd hate to think it doesn't count for anything when adjustments need to be made.

WTH!!! I didn't know this could even happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cruise we're going on next month is reschedule from April. Celebrity called and they had changed the itinerary, so we needed to reschedule. They gave us a $100 obc. It was far enough out that it wasn't a problem since we hadn't scheduled time off, flight or hotel.

It happens.

:eek: I've seriously looked at the Galapagos cruises - and the planning and booking of these itineraries to get the best pricing means booking WAY in advance. I would be very unhappy to be "bumped" from my booking due to charter but worse would be if Celebrity didn't do their very best to help me re-book and keep me whole in the process. I'd keep after Celebrity to do the right thing but in the end if they don't - there other lines that offer that area. Let us know how this turns out!

It is an unfortunare circumstance that you have been put in, and people will point out the contractual fine print.

With that in mind, I think the best thing you can do is contact Celebrity, ask for time to decide, then sit and discuss, amongst youselves, what you think is fair compensation.

Once you have decided that then call back and negotiate. Don't expect a free cruise, but do see if you can get the equivalent cabin or OBC to equal the price difference.

Hope this resolves well for you,

Cheers, h.

A Galapagos cruise is nowhere in the realm of any other possible cruise that Celebrity offers, I'm really shocked that this could happen on one of these cruises considering how far ahead you have to book to get one of the more desirable cabins... or any cabin for that matter :)

I'd contact the Captains Club if I were the OP

I used to think Galapagos would be my 50th Bday gift, but I may have waited too long :eek: It's on my bucket list, & with the planning involved, I'd be devastated for it to be cancelled without having the same price & cabin offered.

Edit to add: to those posting comparing their run of mill cruises getting bumped to an Expedition booking, sorry, not even in the same galaxy

Edited by cruise kitty

A change in itinerary due to operational reasons (port issues etc) is nothing like being bumped off the whole cruise because someone else wants it after you've already booked.

Once a cruise is released for sale then that's the way it should stay. To add to that complexity is a cruise like this which is so unique and rare.

When you book a vacation, you are not guaranteed anything. The operator can change or cancel you. Read the fine print. It is unusual. It happens. Celebrity canceled my booking on the Horizon in 1995..... no alternative cruise, no OBC, returned my money, offered us nothing.... I had booked way in advance. I was working with a TA that got us a different booking on another line. When we boarded the ship in San Juan, the ship next to ours was the Horizon. Just below the name Horizon on the hull was Northern Telecom. It had been chartered out. In a way I was happy not to be victimized by the large group. We did sail on the Horizon several years later. I have had other bookings for cruises and land properties canceled by the operator without any explanation. It is frustrating. Fortunately, each time it has happened, we were able to book someplace else. Sometimes the situation has proven to be wonderful. Relax. Things work out.

A Galapagos cruise is nowhere in the realm of any other possible cruise that Celebrity offers, I'm really shocked that this could happen on one of these cruises considering how far ahead you have to book to get one of the more desirable cabins... or any cabin for that matter :)

I'd contact the Captains Club if I were the OP

I used to think Galapagos would be my 50th Bday gift, but I may have waited too long :eek: It's on my bucket list, & with the planning involved, I'd be devastated for it to be cancelled without having the same price & cabin offered.

Edit to add: to those posting comparing their run of mill cruises getting bumped to an Expedition booking, sorry, not even in the same galaxy

Thanks for understanding! Were it a more typical cruise we could "relax" as the poster above suggests. There would be lots of alternatives in the Caribbean or in Europe. We are not looking for anything but the same cruise at the same price we booked a year ago and are willing to change to another date! . We spent several hours on hold last evening without anything getting resolved. We finally did get through to the Captains club, who put us in touch with the Xpeditiion desk, who still couldn't help with specifics but did promise an answer today. Very disappointed in Celebrity and a bit embarrassed that we had so highly recommended them to our friends. This cruise is a pretty high ticket item even in the cheapest cabins.

As another has suggested, sit down and look at the other dates and work out what you actually want in terms of dates and cabins and tell celebrity that is what you are after, make them work to make it fit for you. It may not work out but it is worth a try.

I bet those that charter it are not told of the number of peoples whose cruises get cancelled because of it though - I'd be upset if I thought I'd ruined another persons trip

good luck with getting it sorted

It happened to us many years ago with Silversea. The ship was not chartered but they have cancelled our booking because we have booked up to Bermuda (we did not have too many day free because of our work) and they have found other passengers who departing from the same port wanted to cruise longer. They gave us our deposit back without asking if this suits us or not. No alternative was offered, no compensation.

Thanks to that Silversea has lost us as their customers. Thanks to that we have started cruising with other lines.

I am sorry you have lost your cruise. Unfortunately Chartering out whole ships seems to becoming more common but I can see how it benefits the cruise line to charter out a ship.

We too, lost our cruise this year on the Equinox. As we have teachers in our party we only have a small window in which to travel and Celebrity therefore could not replace the cruise. We lost our early booking price and as mostly non Alcoholic drinkers are now stuck waiting until the free drinks package deal ends simply because the cruise prices are nearly £700 a person more than the Early booking price. This is not all Celebrity's fault as we were unable to take advantage of the recent 15% discount for captains club members as one of the party expected to be in the States for the whole of August. His company would honour the booked holiday but not a change of date. He is now spending June and part of July in Texas instead so the hunt is back on.

I am so sorry this happened. I agree with others -- this is very different than having a Caribbean or Europe cruise cancelled. The Galapagos cruises are in high demand and extremely limited. They have to be booked far in advance to secure ANY cabin, let alone the one you want! Be persistent with Celebrity. You shouldn't have to incur a lot of additional expense because they chartered out the ship.

I, personally, would be VERY upset about this, especially since the Galapagos cruises are so booked and it is very difficult to get a good cabin.

Really think that they should be offering a substantial discount on your fare.

I know there is all kinds of "fine print" and the like, but a Galapagos cruise is really a special thing, and they have seriously inconvenienced you.

I'd push back (politely) for a better deal, and, sadly, if they could not accommodate you, I would take not only my Galapagos cruise, but all my future business, somewhere else.

Very unfortunate situation and very poor optics.

Good luck!

Unless your cabin choice is a suite I cannot understand why you would be asked to pay more. I suggest you find a cruise that fits your schedule and talk to Celebrity yourself. Perhaps you friend misunderstood.

Since the cruise is 18 months away you should have some flexibility and no flight concerned.

The bottom line is I would think you should be able to cruise on a different date with no increase in cost and some additional consideration. OBC has little value on this cruise since it is an all inclusive experience.

I have taken this cruise and it is worth the hassle IMO.

I think you should hold out for like accommodations at the same price you booked. OBC is meaningless on this cruise as everything is included. If like accommodations are not available maybe some form of future cruise credit.

We had booked this cruise and the MP extension when MP was closed for months due to a flood. We had to negotiate hard with them to have them change our booking to 2 months later when MP was reopened. We had been using a TA and she had to use her sales reps to go to bat. I think the key to our success was in this case was being able to demonstrate the loss in revenue they would experience if we kept our original dates and canceled the extension, where if they allowed us to change the dates they would keep that revenue.

I don't think this far out it is reasonable to expect any more than allowing you to change dates at the fares in place at the time of your booking.

As far as a specific cabin on this ship I wouldn't worry about it too much. Suites are bigger than the other cabins but for the other cabins location really doesn't matter. We are ones who really spend time in the cabin on normal cruises but on this you are truly only changing/sleeping in the room.

It's a wonderful trip, hopefully you can get this sorted out and put behind you quickly.

I'm not sure there are other operators in the area where you would get the same experience.

I am very surprised that Celebrity did not offer to protect the price you paid for your cruise. When their sister line RCI cancelled a cruise, they offered several other itineraries at the same price we had booked. We ended up on a cruise that would have cost us $800pp more had we booked it initially. I should think that X, being the "better" line, would do the same.

I agree with the poster who said that, if X won't let you keep the price you paid, take your business elsewhere and cruise at a time and price that suit you.

We did the Galapagos cruise last year. Nice ship, nice cruise.

I think since Celebrity canceled you, they should work with you to find another suitable date AND honor the price you paid for a comparable cabin. I would keep after them about adjusting the price. Let's face it, there is no point in onboard credit because it's an all-inclusive cruise, so the only real area to work with is base price.

And don't let the cabin location stand in the way of taking this trip. Like you, we booked early and wanted specific cabins because when we looked at the diagrams some appeared much more "convenient" than others. When we got on the ship, we laughed about it.

This is one cruise where the cabin location doesn't make as much difference as it does on the larger ships. Xpedition is small, and you can get anywhere quickly. This is truly a cruise where you are so busy, you simply use your cabin for showering and sleeping.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

I respectfully disagree that this cancellation is necessarily way different than a Caribbean cruise being cancelled, in some cases at least. As another poster, we had this happen back at the time when we were locked into one week for spring break. There was only one other cruise to choose from at the time, and it was a completely different itinerary and left on a different day (thank goodness we had not yet booked airfare). We had hoped we could use our money to go on a Royal Caribbean cruise but it had to be Celebrity only, and it had to be the same week only in order to keep our pricing. It was also only a couple months to sailing, much less than the year+ we are talking about here. We ended up picking the one Celebrity cruise available (it left Sun vs Sat) but we were not happy at all, especially with the short notice and lack of options - would have been nice if we could have transferred our booking to a cruise later that year (and still use the onboard upgrades we had gotten)

Please don't get me wrong -I am very sorry for the OP and I do think it is unfair of Celebrity to do these things regardless of the fine print. Most distressing, they offer little in the way of compensation or help.

It's unfortunate when this happens, but every cruise line I know of does this. Read the fine print in your contract, and you will see that it's allowed. Usually, all they have to do is refund your money.

I booked a cruise on Windstar that was then chartered. Rebooked and had to pay a $300 change fee for the airfare change fees (I booked this myself separately). Then, ownership changed hands and this cruise was cancelled as the ship was pulled to be refurbished.

Booked a third cruise, bought airfare (now up to $600 in change fees) and this cruise had the ship, dates and itinerary changed, so that was cancelled.

However, Windstar did refund me the $600 in change fees, I ended up with a large discount on a rebooking, $700 in OBC, etc. Finally was ready to try rebooking again, and I turned it all over to a TA who handled the negotiations for me.

In these cases, sometimes it's better if you booked through a good cruise TA, as they can usually do better for you than you can do for yourself. Good luck OP sorting this out.