Trivia cheaters?

barante

What good is a hand held device without an internet connection?

I know some frequent cruisers...people who do B2B2B2B2B...and attend the trvia every cruise, despite it being the same questions. They have notes, possibly on those devices, to make sure they win every time.

I know of one case where the staff member confronted a couple because they were being unfair to everyone. The couple complained to GS and the staff member was transferred to another ship. :rolleyes:

I know some frequent cruisers...people who do B2B2B2B2B...and attend the trvia every cruise, despite it being the same questions. They have notes, possibly on those devices, to make sure they win every time.

I know of one case where the staff member confronted a couple because they were being unfair to everyone. The couple complained to GS and the staff member was transferred to another ship. :rolleyes:

Wow. And people wonder why the crew is hesitant to enforce the rules.

Oh well, just think of it as another "Loyalty Reward" for frequent cruisers.;)

I just got off the Zaandam yesterday. My table mates reported that at trivia, not only was someone using their cellphone to cheat, but when they disagreed with the answer, they showed a webpage on their cell to prove their assertion!

Now that is a sad way to treat an employee. I suspect the cruiser may have been a very high level rewards member, which SHOULD have not made any difference in being expected to follow the rules, but companies are so afraid of offending a customer that they are willing to overlook just about everything out of fear of losing a $. Just look at the ridiculous size of suitcases some airlines allow to be crammed into bins as carryon luggage.

I just got off the Zaandam yesterday. My table mates reported that at trivia, not only was someone using their cellphone to cheat, but when they disagreed with the answer, they showed a webpage on their cell to prove their assertion!

Just curious...did the moderator accept the answer or mention that using devices was not allowed ?

Kind of like the people who call the police to report that the guy they were selling drugs to ripped them off :D

On one cruise the trivia questions were the same as had been asked the previous day.

Everyone kept quiet about it for two or three questions - but then realised that about a dozen teams would all score maximum points. And that a twelfth of a tee-shirt wasn't really worth winning :D

JB :)

Now that is a sad way to treat an employee. I suspect the cruiser may have been a very high level rewards member, which SHOULD have not made any difference in being expected to follow the rules, but companies are so afraid of offending a customer that they are willing to overlook just about everything out of fear of losing a $. Just look at the ridiculous size of suitcases some airlines allow to be crammed into bins as carryon luggage.

Yep. They were some of company's, either #2 or #3, top cruisers.

On one cruise the trivia questions were the same as had been asked the previous day.

Everyone kept quiet about it for two or three questions - but then realised that about a dozen teams would all score maximum points. And that a twelfth of a tee-shirt wasn't really worth winning :D

JB :)

I can think of several ladies I wouldn't mind seeing in a twelth of a t-shirt.:cool:

Good cruise staffs have several different trivia sets to choose from--so they don't have to repeat questions from one cruise to the next one. We just did a back-to-back cruise on the Ruby Princess and did not encounter any duplicate trivias. We went to all of the daytime ones.

Trivia is a great activity to meet people. On both cruises we found teammates who we stuck with the whole time. We won more than our share of prizes. Most of the time we gave away the prizes. The fun is in winning. The prizes aren't usually worth keeping--once you have one of something, you don't need another.

After playing trivia on many, many cruises, I do remember the answers to some frequently asked questions. I don't have things written down to jog my memory. If a crew member notices that a team is cheating, the crew member should let them know they won't be eligible for the prizes. That happened on our second cruise last month when the person conducting the trivia noticed a team with seven members.

they didnt accept windows or floor 13 but clocks was the answer? theyre ALL correct. pissed me off!!!!!

You reminded me of the time a trivia question was "In what body part is the femur?" I answered "thigh," and I was told that I was WRONG. Because the correct answer was "leg."

And there was the time that I was the only person who showed up for a trivia contest, and the contest was held, and I would obviously be the winner. Instead of writing my answers down, I just told the hostess what my answers were after she asked each question. One question was "Who was the first person to sail around the world?" I said, "It couldn't have been Magellan, because he died during the voyage, so it had to be someone on his ship, but I don't know the names of anyone who was on his ship." And I didn't know how it was determined which of those men was "the first." The hostess said that the answer was Magellan. Obviously wrong, but no one was competing against me, so I didn't care. Now, if a competitor had written down "Magellan" while I wrote down nothing, I would have been annoyed.

At one trivia contest, where we competed as individuals and not as groups, after we answered the questions, we were told to exchange the answer sheets with each other. I tried to exchange my answer sheet with a guy, but he refused and insisted that he wanted to correct his own answer sheet. I raised my voice a little and asked him to exchange papers, but the host said to let him correct his answer sheet. Sure enough, when the correct answers were announced, I saw him write them down on his answer sheet. Luckily, he didn't write down enough correct answers to give himself a perfect score, and someone else won.

And wasn't it within the last five or so years that there was a couple who frequented Princess a lot' date=' and would usually win the trivia because of the repeat answers? Then they would remove the autotips from their account and then would give the trivia prizes as tips to their steward and waitstaff.[/quote']

Seriously? That is so incredibly tacky. What a lovely couple they must be. They should be persona non grata on that cruise line to treat the staff with such disdain.

I guess I thought the trivia games would be a little more high tech like those in bars on trivia night which is done on a computer.

We had the pleasure (NOT) of having David Bradshaw as our CD. He asked a question Which city did something? Everyone new it was Montreal. He said NO. The Answer is Canada. It was pointed out that the question asked for a city. Most people don't consider Canada to be a city. He said his sheet said Canada and that was the answer.

On my last cruise, Carnival Freedom, in addition to individual contests there were 4 men versus women trivia contests.

After the men won the first two, it was obvious that the assistant cruise director wanted the women to win the 3rd contest to make the 4th meaningful. We were given the following question-what NFL team has a horsey name. We answered the Denver Broncos, and were told we were wrong. The women then got a crack at the question and said the Indianapolis Colts and were told they were right and got a chance to get points. Obviously, both answers are correct.

BTW, we not only won that contest, but also the 4th one. We were told that there never had been a sweep of all 4 previously.

I've suspected that some teams have cheated, but few and far between. It's not the prizes they're after it's the winning itself. I play at home on Thurs. nights at a local sports bar and my team often wins, but not always. We won last night, but it had been a month or so since the last win. The prizes are a $5 gift card for the restaurant when you win a round, a $10 one for 2nd place and $15 for first place, but it's for the whole table so we pass it around and take turns.

I admit I am somewhat competitive and hate to lose, but would never cheat. A couple of years ago there was a young woman on the activity staff who got out an encyclopedia and made up her own questions because she was tired of frequent cruisers knowing all the answers from past cruises. The problem was they were so ridiculously obscure and difficult that it wasn't fun. If she hadn't been so snotty about telling us she had made them up specifically to make it as hard as possible, we probably wouldn't have known any better. Needless to say she was the least popular person on the staff and numerous complaints led to her toning down the questions.

My favorite trivia is the Battle of the Sexes, pitting men against women. Last year the original host cheated to try to help the men, but it was in vain. We crushed them anyway, lol.

We have never gone to trivia on the ships and after reading all these posts, I know I never will. This is riduculous the extremes people go to in order to win a mug or key chain. Competition and will to win is one thing but wow....... is there no limit?

Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

We have never gone to trivia on the ships and after reading all these posts, I know I never will. This is riduculous the extremes people go to in order to win a mug or key chain. Competition and will to win is one thing but wow....... is there no limit?

Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

While there are people who go to these extremes, they are few.