Fasination with Cruise Directors

jsf

Agree 100% with the OP. Seems like most people judge a CD by how often they converse with the passengers. The true measure of a good CD is the quality of entertainment and activities that they provide on the cruise.

Agreed, the thing is that a good CD may go relatively unnoticed (apart from MCing events) as everything goes smoothly and the entertainment and activities are great. I guarantee you will notice when there is a bad one.:D

Really? I agree that the cruise director doesn't make or break a cruise for me but, after my last cruise on Reflection in December, I must respectfully disagree with the other posters- we found Alexander to be the worst cruise director on at least 12 previous cruises. I found his personality to be annoying and grating. I thought his daily tv shows were filled with inane nonsense and stopped watching them which was a disappointment for me because I'm such a creature of habit that I like to have the TV on when I'm getting dressed in the morning.

Different strokes for different folks.

I agree also with the above post about noticing a bad one! :eek:

I can't remember the fellow's name on Voyager last Jan/Feb 2013, but apparently he thought many, many, with sound effects, toilet humour jokes was a great thing every morning. We turned off the TV also.

He just seemed to be so fed up, sighing all the time. It was not uplifting at all. Maybe he didn't like the dreamworks animals?

I could see if you liked a director that it may influence you, but the ship category would influence us more. We love Radiance and would pick a radiance class over others, except if the price is really special, as per recently, then we certainly have been convinced to go with Rhapsody!

Edited by kjsmith63

Now I want to meet this Sue D. and check our her shoes!

We had Sue Denning for our trans-Atlantic, and first sailing with Celebrity on Constellation. She has since become the gold standard for Cruise Directors.

I never noticed her shoes, other than they had tall heels, which is amazing because the woman is on her feet all day and half the night. But you will notice her hats! She also does a program on scarf shapes, selection and tying.

We would never choose a cruise because of the CD, and generally could care less, but with 50/50 vision backwards we can see that certain things went more smoothly with her on board. Her upbeat, generous personality made a difference with the general outlook of the passengers on that sailing.

Hope Celebrity knows what a treasure she is and pays her accordingly.

Hmm I had heard that Sue was in Labadee, nice to know she will be on our cruise on the 22 March (sorry miched you were right).

CD's were not someone I took any notice of until we had a truely terrible woman a couple of cruises ago. She was so horrid I avoided her as often as I could. Now I am looking forward to meeting one that is noticable in a nice way.

Cheers, h,

we are the

'Exotic Southerners'

_________________________:D_______________________

Edited by middlehaitch

No one has mentioned John Grantham.

He was 'head hunted for the inaugural season on Eclipse (summer 2010 cruises from Southampton)

We then had him as our CD on Century, Hawaii March 2012.

Sue Denning made an impression on our Eclipse Southern Caribbean March 2013. We were newly Elite and she spoke to us at least 3 times at the Happy hr in Michael's Club and the Sky lounge on Deck 14.Also on land in Aruba, where she approached us and explained that we might not always be given vouchers.

However, I can't even tell you the name of the CD on Infinity TA in Oct 2013. My lasting memory of him, is that he scheduled the final lecture (of the very popular Space Lecturer - Jim Kennedy) when we were in Nassau, after 7 Sea Days.

The CD that we enjoyed the most for her talent is Cais Dillon, now at home raising a family. It was a real joy listening to her perform either in the theatre or at the Captain's Club Celebration. Her time with Celebrity was way to short.

Here is a link to one of her final shows:

Paul Baya is also an exceptional talent.

While I wouldn't book a cruise based on who the CD is, there is no doubt in my mind that a great one like Sue Denning can massively enhance your experience on board.

While a poor one does not ruin a cruise holiday, the difference is marked and noticeable.

I always remember 2 names - Sue Denning and Patti Honacki however only because Sue was from the UK and extremely attentive and Patti joined in everything but the best and funniest one we had I can't for the life remember her name

I have to admit that I prefer to know that the entire team does a good job, demonstrating a good leader rather than the CD being excellent and the team not being

I am surprised no one has mentioned mentioned Alex from Argentina. He of the white suit. :D Very personable and a genuinely nice young man.

And you didn't mention his "Golden Suit" lol We had Alejandro on our recent Infinity cruise and he is a lovely guy!

I have to agree with others on here that I had never paid any attention to CDs before, until we sailed with Sue Denning on the Summit last year. She was far and away the most memorable cruise staff we have met. She was that ship! She was anywhere and everywhere on the Summit, taking time to talk to everyone. And we can't forget her shoes and her many outfit changes! My partner and I would certainly never book a cruise for the CD, but we always hope to cross paths with Sue again. We always tell our friends about her because she influenced the cruise experience so much.

Michael

We've been on over 20 cruises and I couldn't for a million dollars name one Cruise Director we've had. I know we see then introduce the stage act's and stand next to the Capitan at social events but I don't get the idea of falling in love with them. We've been on enough cruises to be able to figure out what to do and when to do it so we don't need an activity coach.

Would someone tell about people who follow them from ship to ship and why they dole on about them.

Sorry to sound bitter but I think this cold weather is getting to me.

J.

I totally agree- could care less who the CD is. They do nothing to enhance my enjoyment of a cruise. Now on the other hand, ask me for the names of a few of my favorite bartenders... :D

p.s.- had Sue Denning as CD on the Summit two years ago- not all that and a bag of chips. I don't quite understand why folks are idolising her.

Tony

p.s.- had Sue Denning as CD on the Summit two years ago- not all that and a bag of chips. I don't quite understand why folks are idolising her.

Tony

Well, I'm not idolising her :) Just staing that she is one of the best CD's we have had.

I'm sure other people will have their own favourites, or not be bothered at all - like yourself!

I totally agree- could care less who the CD is. They do nothing to enhance my enjoyment of a cruise. Now on the other hand, ask me for the names of a few of my favorite bartenders... :D

Tony

As already mentioned, the CD can influence the enjoyment of my cruise to makew it better or worse but it is the staff that make the cruise a holiday. The stewards looking after my room, the bar staff making sure I am not thirsty, the waiters making sure I am not hungry and the activity staff making sure I am not bored and especially the crew making sure everything else on the ship is working.:D

And you didn't mention his "Golden Suit" lol We had Alejandro on our recent Infinity cruise and he is a lovely guy!

I have to agree with others on here that I had never paid any attention to CDs before, until we sailed with Sue Denning on the Summit last year. She was far and away the most memorable cruise staff we have met. She was that ship! She was anywhere and everywhere on the Summit, taking time to talk to everyone. And we can't forget her shoes and her many outfit changes! My partner and I would certainly never book a cruise for the CD, but we always hope to cross paths with Sue again. We always tell our friends about her because she influenced the cruise experience so much.

Michael

We had Alejandro on the Infinity as well and enjoyed him.

We've been on over 20 cruises and I couldn't for a million dollars name one Cruise Director we've had. I know we see then introduce the stage act's and stand next to the Capitan at social events but I don't get the idea of falling in love with them. We've been on enough cruises to be able to figure out what to do and when to do it so we don't need an activity coach.

Would someone tell about people who follow them from ship to ship and why they dole on about them.

Sorry to sound bitter but I think this cold weather is getting to me.

J.

Been on over 70 cruises past 35 years and could care less about who's the CD. Never had one make or break a cruise for me.

Like many of the folks who posted, I forget the cruise director before I get to the end of the gangway (or, like Ken Roush on RCL, he is on TV all the time)

However, on our last cruise on RCL Freedom, there was a cruise director named Richard Spacey. What a piece of work this guy was, I never saw anyone enjoy their job so much

At least, he was memorable

I really enjoyed Alejandro Tortorelli (from Argentina) - he's now on the Infinity. First came across him when he was Activities Manager on Equinox.

He's funny and energetic. A nice guy. :)

Opposite reaction from us I'm afraid. After 4 weeks around South America with him last March, he's the only CD we would do our best to avoid.

Has anyone ever had Kyle Dobson? He was the CD on our Dec 7th cruise on the Summit and from what I understand is new to Celebrity. I have never really felt one way or the other about our CD's (we obviously haven't had Sue yet :D ) but I can honestly say we were not big fans of Kyle. I feel bad saying that because he seems like a nice guy, but he just had a different feel from all the others we have experienced. He was so corny and constantly joked about people partying, drinking and 'tearing their clothes off'. Every single show/talk he ended with something about that....which is fine to an extent...we are in our early 30's and far from sticks in the mud, but it just got irritating after awhile. Other CD's we've had just seemed to act a little more classy.

Just my 2 cents! :)

Really? I agree that the cruise director doesn't make or break a cruise for me but, after my last cruise on Reflection in December, I must respectfully disagree with the other posters- we found Alexander to be the worst cruise director on at least 12 previous cruises. I found his personality to be annoying and grating. I thought his daily tv shows were filled with inane nonsense and stopped watching them which was a disappointment for me because I'm such a creature of habit that I like to have the TV on when I'm getting dressed in the morning.

Different strokes for different folks.

We may be talking about two different people. This Alexander always wore a different color of pants each day....salmon, red, baby blue, pink? I didn't hear any TV show, but I remember they did mention he was very very new to Celebrity.

The most annoying was the guy who would do his tv show (Beavis & Butthead) there were two of them sitting nightly outside of the specialty restautants filming their lame show for TV. I STILL HAVE NIGHTMARES!!!

Edited by 20pluscruises