Fasination with Cruise Directors

jsf

We've been on over 20 cruises and I couldn't for a million dollars name one Cruise Director we've had. I know we see then introduce the stage act's and stand next to the Capitan at social events but I don't get the idea of falling in love with them. We've been on enough cruises to be able to figure out what to do and when to do it so we don't need an activity coach.

Would someone tell about people who follow them from ship to ship and why they dole on about them.

Sorry to sound bitter but I think this cold weather is getting to me.

J.

We've been on over 20 cruises and I couldn't for a million dollars name one Cruise Director we've had. I know we see then introduce the stage act's and stand next to the Capitan at social events but I don't get the idea of falling in love with them. We've been on enough cruises to be able to figure out what to do and when to do it so we don't need an activity coach.

Would someone tell about people who follow them from ship to ship and why they dole on about them.

J.

Sue Denning is the most attentive to details of all Cruise Directors we've had.

We may follow her to Labadee via a Royal Caribbean ship.

Just this am, DH and I were discussing who is the most important person working on a ship: Captain, Hotel Director, Cruise Director, Head of Housekeeping, etc.

The answer for us is:

The Chief Engineer -- based on maintaining all working parts on a ship.

Now, who is the one person we don't want on our next cruise?

Maybe the Celebrity CEO -- based on recent Constellation threads.

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

I never thought much about cruise directors until we met Sue Demming

At a Captains club party her lively personality did help set the tone for the event. She talked to so many people -- her act was fun in the theater

On the other hand there have been some that were not people-people

How about our getting to the theater 1/2 he early to get an aisle seat to allow for our physical needs and then 5 minutes b4 show time being told to move over (from the stage) so that latecomers are accommodated?

J.

I would have said the same until this last cruise. Alexander on the Reflection was great! He is seen all day every day throughout the ship. You can tell he wants everyone to have a great cruise. He brought back great memories of the fantastic CD on our 1990 Horizon cruise.

The line dancer guy in the Santa Hat on the Reflection (wish I knew his name) should also consider a job as cruise directer. He also cared about the guests not only on the deck pool stage, at disemarkation and even one day in the elevator asking if we are having a good time, sad it's over, etc.

As a matter of fact I think I need to follow up with Celebrity and mention this.......anyone happen to recall his name?

The line dancer guy in the Santa Hat on the Reflection (wish I knew his name) should also consider a job as cruise directer. He also cared about the guests not only on the deck pool stage, at disemarkation and even one day in the elevator asking if we are having a good time, sad it's over, etc.

As a matter of fact I think I need to follow up with Celebrity and mention this.......anyone happen to recall his name?

Victor?

I never thought much about cruise directors until we met Sue Denning.

At a Captains club party her lively personality did help set the tone for the event.

We can only remember and name one cruise director, SUE DENNING. We would not plan a cruise based on the cruise director, but we are certainly glad to be sailing for the third time with Sue as the CD on April 5th. Bob and Laurie

I think it is nice to meet and get to know many of the staff whether Officers or not. Maybe their names get forgotten over the years but their faces and the memories of the interactions or service do not.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I never really followed or booked a cruise because of a CD and never really appreciated the difference one made until we sailed many times.

We have now learned that besides the CD the Officers also make a difference.

Celebrity has the best and friendliest officers and really get involved with the passengers. It is nice to see them in the evening mingling with the passengers.

As for CD I would also put Alexander as one of the best. Sue is also very good and hopefully she will be back on the Eclipse. She was replaced by Ben and there is no comparison. To book a cruise for the CD is rather foolish because Sue was on the cruise before our cruise and Ben took her place. When I booked the cruise I had no idea who the CD was and really didn't care.

If it came down to a tie breaker between 2 cruise with everthing else being equal and it was guaranteed who the CD was going to be it could factor in.

But things constantly change.

.💨🍸🍻

I think the most important duty of a CD is to present good entertainment and run her department efficiently. I have been on cruises where events were scheduled and staff did not show up and also on cruises where every event had people there on time and ready to go.

Would certainly NEVER book a cruise based on CD. Having said that, I can call to name exactly two CDs--both of whom were on Azamara a few times, and one of whom is now on Celebrity--that would be Sue Denning. The other is Eric. And I'm certainly not knocking all the others--and I'd probably remember some of them if I saw them or their names again. Can't recall a single bad one (or one we didn't like).

Really? I agree that the cruise director doesn't make or break a cruise for me but, after my last cruise on Reflection in December, I must respectfully disagree with the other posters- we found Alexander to be the worst cruise director on at least 12 previous cruises. I found his personality to be annoying and grating. I thought his daily tv shows were filled with inane nonsense and stopped watching them which was a disappointment for me because I'm such a creature of habit that I like to have the TV on when I'm getting dressed in the morning.

Different strokes for different folks.

Although the CD doesn't make or break a cruise for me, a good CD can enhance my experience and on the contrary, a lousy CD can diminish my overall experience. We've had great CD's and some not so great CD's. Overall, the one that sticks in my mind was the lousiest CD ever. He was on Emerald Princess. I probably should have remembered his name, because he was awful. Major show lounges were closed in the evenings at times, while the Princess Theater was over capacity and lots and lots of people were turned away every night. Just poorly thought out.

We have great memories of a number of cruises with Drew Pavlov as CD...he was truly a class act that epitomized the Celebrity experience. He has since been promoted and we have enjoyed other CDs including Sue Denning.

I had never paid any attention to the CDs either (or had them pay any attention to me) until we sailed with Sue Denning. She was the life of the party. Everywhere. Very friendly.
It has often been said about Bill Clinton (even by those who disagree with him) that he has a talent for making every person he meets feel as though you are the most important person in the room and he really cares about what you have to say.

I think that the same applies to Sue Denning.

J.

Completely on board with you here! I admit we've never sailed with Sue Denning (sounds like she's great - maybe someday we will meet!), but we've never been impacted (positively or negatively) by the cruise director. In fact, it's rare we ever see them in person - just on TV or across the deck at the pool. Perhaps a smile passing in the hall, but that's it - never a conversation.

In contrast, and to reiterate what others have said, on almost every cruise we've met some absolutely incredible officers. Five days into a cruise, one officer approached us and remembered us from embarkation. We've joined others for cocktails on many occasions, and had half hour conversations with others.

The CD is the one responsible for coordinating/scheduling the activities on board. I really don't think the CD is just a cute guy/girl who announces the shows and does the morning show on the television. I think he/she has an important role in the activities and entertainment on board. Only one time did we notice things not going so smoothly on board. While the theater was jammed and people turned away repeatedly, one of the main show lounges was closed at times during the evenings. We didn't regard him as one of the better CD's.

"While a cruise may sound glamorous, if you want the glamour, pay for it. As a cruise director, you work, and it's not a 9-to-5 job. You’re in charge of making sure guests are having a good time. You’ll manage the social, as opposed to technical, side of the cruise. You offer support and hospitality to guests, plan and set up events and perform organizational and clerical work. Cruise directors are hospitality and customer service managers for cruise lines."

Although the CD doesn't make or break a cruise for me, a good CD can enhance my experience and on the contrary, a lousy CD can diminish my overall experience. We've had great CD's and some not so great CD's.

We have sailed with a CD that seems to be everywhere and others who are practically invisible. When we sailed with Sue Denning two years ago, she made a point of going to the Sky Lounge and talking to frequent cruisers every evening. We have sailed with Allan King who was known for his groaners as well as tough evening trivias. I remember sailing on HAL with a CD who arranged absolutely nothing to pass the time on rainy sea days and made sure we were not on board another HAL cruise with him. There are good ones and bad ones but for one who cruises a lot, one soon learns that it is preferable to sail with the outstanding ones.

Agree 100% with the OP. Seems like most people judge a CD by how often they converse with the passengers. The true measure of a good CD is the quality of entertainment and activities that they provide on the cruise.