How far in advance do you folks plan your cruise or vacation?

dchan865

Just curious, how far out do you folks plan your next great adventure?

For me I tend to do it 12 months to 18months out. For the short ones like staying within the states, may be a 3-4 months.

Anywhere from 3 months to 2 years out for a cruise. Driving trips in the US - could be as short as 2 weeks or up to 6 months out.

I typically book our cruises six to eight months and sometimes a year. Once I zero in on an itinerary, confirm dates with work, I don't like to dilly-dally. I want to be sure I can nail down the precise cabin and location and then have a wonderful cruise to dream about for the next 241 days...

Jonathan

Normally we book 6 to 12 months out but our last cruise was 1 week. I booked it on a Sunday. We were to leave on Saturday for New Orleans and a storm hit that Thursday. When I saw the road conditions I told Ginger D that we had better leave now or never. We nearly wrecked the car 15 miles from home, drove another 30 miles and got out of the snow and ice. Spent 2 extra days in NO. One of the best trips yet.:rolleyes:

I only have certain weeks I can take vacation so I know the one week we always cruise in December. So we usually book around Feb. for the Dec cruise.

The other weeks, depends on what we are doing. This year I just booked a cruise for beginning of May since we were just talking about it, checked the prices, liked it and booked. LOL

The other week, we decided to go to Disney World. Yikes, a land vacation. LOL

So, hmmmmmmmmmmm, Im guessing 100 days to 11 months in advance. LOL

On average I would say 6-12 months, but I've booked less than two weeks out and I've started the research part of planning if not the booking itself over a year and a half in advance. Just booked next January's cruise this past week.

Preferably within four months, but no longer than eight months ahead of time. I figure that by then, there's no chance that the cruise line is going to charter out my cruise. I've seen too many people come here and cry about how they just found out that their cruise has been chartered to some company and their reservation has been canceled.

Just curious, how far out do you folks plan your next great adventure?

For me I tend to do it 12 months to 18months out. For the short ones like staying within the states, may be a 3-4 months.

Same here. 12-18 months.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Glad to know that I am not the only one. Some of you ladies and gentlemen said "something to look forward to", I couldn't agree with you more. If I don't have a planned trip, the days seem to go by so so slow...

Cheers to the next adventure that you're planning! :)

We have a dual strategy. For cruises originating in a Florida port we typically book a maximum of 6 weeks ahead of time. DH blocks a week off in his work calendar when cruise prices are typically low. Then we wait to see what the prices look like on several itineraries we like and choose the itinerary that is the best value. Being Florida residents, we do not have to worry about last-minute airfare.

For our longer, international cruises, we usually book well over a year in advance. This gives us enough time to get the early-bird discount on the cabin of our choice, research things to do in the ports, score a great deal on the airfare, and reserve the really good private tour providers.

Edited by polySeraph

Generally 6 to 9 months out. With my and dh's jobs, anything further out would be impossible to plan. I always make sure I have at least one trip booked though. I am NEVER without at least one vacation scheduled, so that I always have one to look forward to.