Paid cabin upgrade question on RCCL

Rowtyd

I was told by a TA today that once full payment was made, I couldn't pay to upgrade my cabin to a higher category. Is that correct?

I was planning to pay the difference in price and upgrade my cabin if a suite was discounted last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was told by a TA today that once full payment was made, I couldn't pay to upgrade my cabin to a higher category. Is that correct?

I was planning to pay the difference in price and upgrade my cabin if a suite was discounted last minute.

Your TA owns your booking so if they say no that is your answer. If you book your own reservation then you can do whatever RCI allows and yes, RCI will sometimes allow just about anything that makes you happy.

Your TA owns your booking so if they say no that is your answer. If you book your own reservation then you can do whatever RCI allows and yes, RCI will sometimes allow just about anything that makes you happy.
That is why it is better for most people to keep control over their bookings. Someone who needs guidance and hasn't cruised before would benefit from a TA but others might not.

As long as the new rate is not part of a " new bookings only" promotion or a " sale" then yes you can. I'm sure that your TA may not be familiar with RCI's policies as they deal with all the cruise lines. If your TA still says no I would ask why and start looking for a new TA for your next cruise.

No, that's not correct.

I have done it 5 times, with and without a TA.:D

Have had the odd problem doing it, and had to make several phone calls to sort it out.

I asked about doing this with my TA.

There was no problem with paying to upgrade, however, I would have to pay the full fare for the new category and lose my 55+ discount.

This was the ruling he TA received from RCI, not their decision.

There was no problem with paying to upgrade, however, I would have to pay the full fare for the new category and lose my 55+ discount.

Forget about discounts. You pay the difference from the amount you are paying now to the new rate. If there happens to be a promotion, you'd get it.

Ships sometimes offer a senior RATE (not discount and thus combinable with C&A balcony discounts) for certain cabin categories on certain sailings, much like resident rates which can come and go. Thus, if you had booked an OV at a senior rate and decide to upgrade to a balcony, it's definitely possible that the balcony category will not be offering a senior rate.

If you have the space on your plastic, you can upgrade anytime up to about 24hrs before the cruise. I would start by upgrading yourself to a better TA for your next cruise:p

During our last three sailings in the past few months we have upgraded all three times.

Allure - Originally booked a JS then upgraded to a GS (less than 30 days before sailing)

Liberty (B2B) - Originally booked a JS than upgraded to a Grand Suite and then again to a RFS (Less than 30 days before sailing)

Liberty (B2B) - Originally booked a Balcony cabin then upgraded to a Grand Suite and finally to an Owner's Suite (Less than 30 days out)

We used a TA and had no problem.

If you have the space on your plastic, you can upgrade anytime up to about 24hrs before the cruise. I would start by upgrading yourself to a better TA for your next cruise:p

Yes, that is clearly what I wanted to say! :p BTW, I like your sig too! :cool:

I'll second the latter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our last cruise we upgraded right at the pier as we were checking in. Went from an outside to a balcony room and they just charged my cc the difference.