Cruising in September - am I crazy?!?

Steftacular

Considering booking a bahama/carribean cruise in Sept. It'll be my 4th and the BF's 1st... read alot about high rain and hurricanes. What are the chances? Do we try anyways? Is it worth it? Anyone else been on a Sept cruise? How was it? Would it be better to wait until the end of the month or even October? Would the water still be warm then? My December cruise was disappointing (cause im a baby and need bath temp waters)... let me know your thoughts. Rates are definitely low enough that it might be worth the gamble :)

Hurricane season is June thru October, I believe. With that said ships will divert to the opposite direction if there is a hurricane around. Yes, you take a chance, however the pricing is lower. We have mostly cruised during hurricane season and have not have a storm effect us yet. :)

Have you actually looked into cruising the Caribbean that time of year? I thought most main-line ships were still in the Med. Could be wrong?? I do know there are cruises to the Bahamas year round though.

On the other side.... would never think about cruising in Sept cause our weather is sooooooo beautiful then!!!

Hurricane season runs through November - although pretty rare after mid October (except, of course, for Sandy in 2012).

Crazy would be trying to time a hurricane - and let fear of it force you to cruise at a time of year you do not want to.

Go for it. Hurricanes are pretty rare - any one area might be impacted for perhaps two or three days in any year.

You will have warm waters , fewer school age children, great rates .

Although 2nd week of Sept is the peak of Hurricane Season (June 1- Nov 30)

it doesn't mean you will experience one . Ships revise itineraries should one arise and weather is always unpredictable .

Stop worrying so much .

We took one cruise during hurricane season. Frankly I didn't even think about it when we booked it. We were living in Chicago then and hurricane season wasn't as talked about as it is "down South". Since I'm living back down South, I'm too paranoid now plus I have kids in school so September is a no go for me anyway.

We took a September cruise and had fantastic weather. I would book a September again in a heartbeat, but our schedules limit it different times of year. We went into it knowing the possibility of hurricanes, but booked regardless. That was the year of the gas shortages, and a lot of us had concerns of making it to port, as we drive. You can "what if" all day, and you can plan to your heart's desire, but things can happen at any time. Natural disasters, family emergencies, government issues, etc. Plan the best you can, and keep in mind the possibilities.

Hurricane season is just that - the season when hurricanes can occur. It does not mean they will occur, and more importantly, that you should stress over it. We have taken Bermuda, Bahamas, and Caribbean cruises in July, August, and September, which is basically heart of hurricane season and have never been affected by one.

I would simply plan a cruise around where you want to go, when you are most available to go, and the best budget that fits that and not worry if that all best fits June - November, as many cruises likely will.

And toberman - RCI (along with others) has Caribbean itineraries 12 months a year. The typical Med season is late April to late October, and those itineraries tend to be offered only then. But the Caribbean is year round - just hotter in the summer.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hurricane season runs through November - although pretty rare after mid October (except, of course, for Sandy in 2012).

Crazy would be trying to time a hurricane - and let fear of it force you to cruise at a time of year you do not want to.

Go for it. Hurricanes are pretty rare - any one area might be impacted for perhaps two or three days in any year.

Try to get help after a hurricane if you are on land. Even clearing the port to get back in business can take many days.

On a TA we ducked one that hit Key West (a stop on our TA) 5 days before our schedule and the port was still closed. Had to go to another port.

Considering booking a bahama/carribean cruise in Sept. It'll be my 4th and the BF's 1st... read alot about high rain and hurricanes. What are the chances? Do we try anyways? Is it worth it? Anyone else been on a Sept cruise? How was it? Would it be better to wait until the end of the month or even October? Would the water still be warm then? My December cruise was disappointing (cause im a baby and need bath temp waters)... let me know your thoughts. Rates are definitely low enough that it might be worth the gamble :)

My 3 October cruises were all very enjoyable as far as beach time and Caribbean water temperature. I'd cruise in October again. Having experienced hurricane Ike in mid-September personally, I'm not likely to book a cruise in September. But he was a bully. :(

Yes, you would be total crazy to go then. However..........

You will be on board with 2,998 other Crazy people of like mind who came on that cruise to have a good time. :D

So, go and enjoy your self.

bob

Edited by 4x4bob

Thanks y'all! I was more concerned about it raining our entire trip than being confronted by a hurricane, but it sounds like all the experiences have been good. I really appreciate your feed back. :D

Rainy season in Fl.

it rains somewhere close everyday, I can see rain everyday but it might not rain at my house for weeks. The rain does not last long. They are small strong storms that move quickly.

If a summer storm does hit it will be gone quickly,

We cruise all the time in Sept. We have missed a port but never a major concern. My only worry about cruising during hurricane season is the embarkation port being effected. Airport closed or something like that. I think 18 of my 26 cruises have been during hurricane season and we have not missed one yet. (knock on wood)

We have cruised twice in September (9/11 to be exact both times...double whammy) and had perfect weather! However, it's always a chance you take. I know the times we did go, there was either a hurricane prior to us being there or storms we were watching. We just hit it lucky. Would I do it again? Absolutely. :)