In your opinion, Is Platinum worth it?

hllwdcruiser

We are busy planning for our 2015 Alaskan voyage which will be our 5th Princess cruise. I am seriously considering looking for a 3 or 4 day cruise out of Ft Lauderdale (hoping for a last minute deal - maybe $199 pp) so that by the time we go on the Alaskan Cruise we would have Platinum status.

DH thinks I'm crazy but then again, he's not as "crazy" about cruising as I.

I guess my question is, iyho, does reaching Platinum status make a significant difference?

I am going to say yes. I really like the Platinum perks. You get 150 minutes of internet time for a 7 day cruise - this is more than I ever need. The nightly canapes and discounted drinks in the Platinum lounge are a nice touch. I also really like the preferred embarkation - it is great to be able to bypass the lines and get on the ship early. No line ups for food - you can get your embarkation drink and check out the pools while everything is still almost empty. Also like the debarkation lounge. It's almost civilized to be able to wait here. There is complimentary coffee, tea, water and snacks.

I am going to say yes. I really like the Platinum perks. You get 150 minutes of internet time for a 7 day cruise - this is more than I ever need. The nightly canapes and discounted drinks in the Platinum lounge are a nice touch. I also really like the preferred embarkation - it is great to be able to bypass the lines and get on the ship early. No line ups for food - you can get your embarkation drink and check out the pools while everything is still almost empty. Also like the debarkation lounge. It's almost civilized to be able to wait here. There is complimentary coffee, tea, water and snacks.

+1 to all of the above. Those are the most valuable benefits of being Platinum, IMHO.

Unless you use the internet about the only real benefit is priority embarkation and a lounge to sit in before disembarking. Some consider the Platinum/Elite Cocktail lounge a good perk but since we rarely drink the one (type of) drink they discount each night and we don't need appetizers before we go eat, that doesn't do much for us.

I was anxious to get to Platinum because of the free internet minutes. But the last 4 Princess cruises we took we never even signed on. I should add that the cruise before we became Platinum I suggested we take a short cruise to get that status before a longer cruise we had booked. My wife looked at me and said "You really want to spend $$$$ to get free internet?"

So I guess it depends on how much of those things you would use.

Edited by bjkTX

We did exactly what you are proposing. We have a 20 Emerald cruise booked for this month and we were 2 days short of Platinum. We booked the Ruby for four days and got really lucky because we caught the 100% back promotion. Plus, we had a great time on the Ruby!

If I lived that close to the port I would be in trouble, booking at least 1 or 2 a month :D.

On the Sapphire last week we only used 30 minutes of DW's free minutes.

The service was so bad I never even activated my account.

This was from many different areas around the ship.

Probably the worst we have encountered and the first time I never used up my minutes. :mad:

Internet is the only thing of value. Some days I wish I'd given my loyalty to Celebrity

You need to do a LOT more cruising with Celebrity to get LESS free Internet than you get with Princess. And Celebrity just rewarded your loyalty with a significant reduction to the rate that most cruisers progress to the next level. Add that to the non combinability of most of their OBC, the complete opposite of Princess.

I think the Platinum benefits were better than the jump to Elite benefits that we get on our next cruise.

We did our ONLY short cruise, a 4 day reposition back in 2009 as our fifth cruise because our next cruise would be a 14 day and I really need Internet to keep things going at home while away on longer cruises.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Yes I'd get less internet on celebrity but I'd also get free drinks every night and my elite status would carryover to RCL and Azamara. When they changed the plan recently I'd still have remained elite. Don't get me wrong, elite on Princess is great, I just don't see much value in Platinum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last October we jumped on the Free Cruise promotion for a 4 day out of San Pedro over Hollow Ween. That pushed us up to Platinum.

When we arrived at Bayport in Feb at 1:00P.M. and saw the line out the door,down the side walk we were happy to enter the preferred door. Then once inside we saw the line go around the both rear wall and the left side wall up to the sign in desk. The short preferred line was really welcome.

Then Friday night we used some of our free internet minutes to contact United Airlines to confirm our flight. I was thinking that if Fog delays us, I will be back for more use while attempting to line up another flight.

I visited the elite lounge on the night they served Port Wine just to punch that ticket. Probably will not go back on another cruise because it is too close to dinner.

And, we were happy with the bump up on the insurance, even if we did not need it.

Bob

On our last cruise we did a B2B that was booked as a 14 day "logical". After the first week we went to the Captain's circle desk first thing and were upgraded to Platinum.

For us the benefits were very much worth it. The free internet, as someone pointed out is well worth it. As for the elite lounge, it was a great place to relax. I don;t drink but I has a diet coke and some appetizers while there. For us it was a nice break from the hubbub of the piazza near dinner. But, each to his own.

The disembarkation lounge was also great. We had booked a late flight so we had plenty of time before we got off the ship. The lounge has snacks as noted, but they also brought in some USA today newspapers. They had announcements while we waited and it was quite pleasant.

If you can do it, you should.

Edited by AKman2495

If you want to take a short cruise this year, take it.

But if you will spend the entire time on the ship obsessing that the only reason you took the cruise was to be Platinum for your next cruise--maybe you should think twice about it.

You should be cruising for cruising's sake. The extra benefits are just gravy.

Edited by fishywood

If you wanted to do that cruise to cruise, then do it, but just to get to Platinum, I say NO. We are at Platinum and with reduced price of drinks, we bring our own wine, and it has been enough, the lounge is no big deal.

On RCI we are Diamond and when we sail RCI last time it was wonderful getting into the Diamond lounge. We no longer need to bring our wine, it is FREE. I even splurged ( calorie wise) and had lemon drops and cosmos all week!). But on RCI, they serve free drinks and very nice appetizers. They also give you a dedicated concierge to help you if you need that. I know I will enjoy that perk, but it is not enough to book if the price and itinerary is not the best.

I think taking another cruise just to take another cruise is worth it if it fits your budget and time constraints. We did back-to-back cruises on the Ruby at Christmas to help us get to Elite a little bit quicker. We're going again in a week, which will be our last cruise as Platinum passengers. Our goal was to get to Elite for the free laundry by the time we hit retirement and will be able to take longer cruises. It would have come in handy a couple of years ago when we did a 5-night land tour before our week-long Alaskan cruise.

DH sometimes needs the free Internet minutes depending on the time of year we sail. For instance, this upcoming cruise is during his spring break--a time when there will be lots of emails for him to answer. The break in May at the end of the spring semester is generally quieter. We did not bother to buy any Internet minutes on our Holland America cruise last year.

If you want to take a short cruise this year, take it.

You should be cruising for cruising's sake. The extra benefits are just gravy.

We couldn't agree more! "Cruising is what it's all about!" :D The Loyalty Levels rewards are just that, rewards for loyalty. :rolleyes:

If you wanted to do that cruise to cruise, then do it, but just to get to Platinum, I say NO. We are at Platinum and with reduced price of drinks, we bring our own wine, and it has been enough, the lounge is no big deal.

On RCI we are Diamond and when we sail RCI last time it was wonderful getting into the Diamond lounge. We no longer need to bring our wine, it is FREE. I even splurged ( calorie wise) and had lemon drops and cosmos all week!). But on RCI, they serve free drinks and very nice appetizers. They also give you a dedicated concierge to help you if you need that. I know I will enjoy that perk, but it is not enough to book if the price and itinerary is not the best.

We will be Platinum for the first time in April. Does it mean that drinks are reduced? What about the coffee card and UKP sticker? Are they also reduced? Also I had no idea about the lounge and canapes. Please elaborate. What time is the lounge open? When are the canapes served? I was delighted with the free internet but this is great!! :)

We will be Platinum for the first time in April. Does it mean that drinks are reduced? What about the coffee card and UKP sticker? Are they also reduced? Also I had no idea about the lounge and canapes. Please elaborate. What time is the lounge open? When are the canapes served? I was delighted with the free internet but this is great!! :)

As platinum members you will be entitled to go to the platinum/elite lounge. When you board you will get an invitation to the lounge giving the location and hours. For example, on our last cruise the lounge was in Skywalkers from 5-7 pm.

They have a special for the evening-that drink is reduced in price. The special changes every night. On some ships you can order any of the specials and get the discount but that is not the normal rule.

The canapés are served when it opens. you go in and help yourself to what you want.

We found it a great retreat in the late afternoon and the canapés are changed from night to night (the invite will list the menu).

After a couple of nights the waitstaff got to know us and would be ready with our favorites without asking.

I found it nice. I hope you enjoy it too.

I like the internet and the silver card. Disembarkation lounge is a big yawner to me. Priority embarkation is hit and miss depending on the number of Elite/Platinum/Full Suite cruisers there are on your cruise. If there are a lot, it can make, as it did on a couple of my cruises, the priority embarkation perk seem non existent.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I love my Platinum perks. Especially, the early embarkation and the internet minutes. Last time I cruised out of Fort Lauderdale I was really happy I was Platinum. The regular line outside the terminal was really, really long. There was another line for Platinum and Elite and it was pretty short and moved quickly.