Lanyards - Yes or No and cruise cards

Nightowl11

Do people wear a lanyard with their cruise card on Princess? Is it the majority that do? I was thinking about getting one if those cute bling ones to wear that they sell at Walgreens. Or use one of the many Disney ones that my daughter has. Any suggestions?

I also read on another post that there are different color cards depending on their Captains Circle level. They only mentioned blue and black. What colors are associated with each level? What about suites? Just curious.

Do people wear a lanyard with their cruise card on Princess? Is it the majority that do? I was thinking about getting one if those cute bling ones to wear that they sell at Walgreens. Or use one of the many Disney ones that my daughter has. Any suggestions?

I also read on another post that there are different color cards depending on their Captains Circle level. They only mentioned blue and black. What colors are associated with each level? What about suites? Just curious.

Yes, I put mine through a belt loop and put it on my pocket.

Platinum/Ruby/Gold

Edited by Colo Cruiser

many people wear Lanyards, they actually started making a hole punch when they give you your card its so popular.

Colors are for loyalty levels only (no difference for suites)

Blue new

Ruby

Gold

Platinum

Black Elite

You can check the website for exactly how many cruises you need for each level. I know for Elite it is 15 cruises or 150 days at sea.:)

No difference for suites other than your captain's circle level.

Au contraire! The word "Suite" is pre-printed on your cruise card in the upper right corner. I suppose this might be to help identify you as eligible to enter the hollowed grounds of Sabatini's Restaurant for breakfast, but I don't know. ;) ;) ;)

No, they go by cabin numbers for suite benefits.

And, since your cabin number is not printed on your cruise card, how are the staff supposed to identify you as a Suite guest, other than by the indication on your cruise card? If they didn't print "Suite" on the cruise cards, Joe Blow from steerage could go to Sabatini's for breakfast and say he's in suite D736. Does the guy guarding the gates have a manifest cross-referencing everyone's suite with their names? If not, what's to prevent Mr. Blow from gaining entry?

If that's not one of the reasons for printing the word "Suite" on the cruise card, what do you think is?

Edited by SeymourKopath
added verbiage

Now that colors have been decided, yes, many people do wear them with a lanyard. I have a friend who also bought a fancy one to use when on her cruises so you will be in good company.

I fall into this group as well. I have a thin Princess one, my second as the first was a bit wider and I found it to bother my neck. So, check to see if you feel comfortable wearing it and that it doesn't pinch your neck. I think one with some bling would be wonderful for dress up nights! You could also get your outfit to match! :rolleyes:;):)

I got my mom a blinged-out lanyard for her cruise. It was pretty. But, it might be a matter of age about whether to wear one or not. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in one and I know my young 20-something sons would never, ever wear one. I've also noticed that newbies tend to wear them more than people who cruise often. To each his own though - whatever floats your boat. :D

One thing to consider is that some people are reporting that when they put their cruise card in their pocket next to their cell phone, it is deactivating the cruise card. We didn't find that to be true in December, but maybe we were just lucky, who knows?

And, since your cabin number is not printed on your cruise card, how are the staff supposed to identify you as a Suite guest? Joe Blow from steerage can go to Sabatini's and say he's in suite D736. Does the guy guarding the gates have a manifest cross-referencing everyone's suite with their names?

Actually yes they do.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

And, since your cabin number is not printed on your cruise card, how are the staff supposed to identify you as a Suite guest? Joe Blow from steerage can go to Sabatini's and say he's in suite D736. Does the guy guarding the gates have a manifest cross-referencing everyone's suite with their names? If not, what's to prevent Mr. Blow from gaining entry?

If that's not one of the reasons for printing the word "Suite" on the cruise card, what do you think is?

The last time we were in a suite they didn't print it on the card and they knew we belonged in Sabatini's for breakfast when they ran our cruise card - so something on their system tells them.

We carry several lanyards with us. Sure makes it easy getting around the ship since you generally don't have a purse. A few words of warnings - and perhaps they are just my personal problems! My DH won't go out of the cabin without his around his neck. I can't find any photos of him without!! Now this is great if you like photos with a lanyard. After a while it got to be a pet peeve - I was always asking him to tuck it away.

In the evenings, when I did carry an evening bag, I found the magnetic clasp on many of my bags was de-activating my I d strip. There was many a night I would be at passenger services getting a new card in order to get back into my cabin.

BTW:I got a ver nice "blingy" yanyard at Staples!!!

I feel goofy wearing a lanyard around my neck, so I don't. But I do keep a lanyard on my cruise card and then stow it in my tote or pocket. Makes it easy to find it in my "cavernous" (as my husband would call them) purses.

My kids have no such objections and do wear their lanyards.

Actually yes they do.

OK. There ya go.

So, anyone have any theories as to why Princess now prints "Suite" on your cruise card if you're booked into a suite? There has to be an operational reason. Maybe to help verify you're eligible for priority tendering? Or is your card scanned for that too? I really don't know, but now am very curious.

I completely understand the utility and convenience of a lanyard.

Maybe it's just me but I had to wear a security/identity badge for 35 years of my working life. Now that I'm retired I don't want to wear anything around my neck, including ties (will make an exception, sometimes, for formal nights).

So, I just keep my card in a pocket, away from my cell phone if I'm carrying it.

Does the guy guarding the gates have a manifest cross-referencing everyone's suite with their names?

They certainly do have a manifest and check names and cabin numbers. Usually just on the first day.

I have no idea why they started putting the word "suite" on the cards as it just appeared on our Ruby cards last month but was not on our card in the fall onboard the Golden.

Mike:)

No difference for suites other than your captain's circle level.

On our cruise in December I noticed that the word "Suite" was included now - probably helps when you are in the embarkation line and in the suite/elite passenger services line with a cruise card other than black. I know I had to explain to 'elite' folks on one cruise that the suite card can be any color when they tried to direct me to the other line.

Maybe to help verify you're eligible for priority tendering? Or is your card scanned for that too? I really don't know, but now am very curious.

Nope, suite passengers are given "Priority Tender" tickets in their cabin.

I know I had to explain to 'elite' folks on one cruise that the suite card can be any color when they tried to direct me to the other line.

You should have had paper "Priority Tender" tickets in your cabin.

Maybe they are going to eliminate them and just use the cards. That would be a reason for the suite print.

Nope, suite passengers are given "Priority Tender" tickets in their cabin.

OK, now I'm really curious. I'm going to open up a new thread with this question. Granted, it's not the most pressing issue we will ever face as Princess passengers, but there may be someone who has an idea that is not reading this thread. I don't know why I get stuck on minutiae like this, but now I just HAVE to know. ;)

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Just got back from the 1 March Caribbean Princess cruise out of Houston. Wife wore a bling lanyard she purchased at walmart and received many inquiries/compliments. I wore a lanyard in my college colors (University of Oklahoma). Got several compliments from fellow Sooners and a few 'comments' from Texas fans.

I would say there about 5% wore the lanyards. BTW, you can purchase them in the gift shop on board including the bling ones. Wife isn't certain but thinks they were about $10.

I didn't ask for them to punch the holes during check in as it was very busy so I do not know if that's possible. They will punch them at the customer's service desk and also at the gift shop (purchase may be necessary). We're going to start carrying a hole punch since it's a bit simpler than standing in line. Also, really need the more rectangular hole punch otherwise you need to make two punches to attach the lanyard.

We're very comfortable wearing the lanyards but that's possibly because we've had to wear badges, etc, for most of our working lives. We also put one of those little thingies with the retractable hook on the lanyard. Once again, we're used to using those too.

The TV set upon a shelf with a metal railing which was a very convenient place loop the lanyard around while in the room. Made it very easy to find too.

Bed, Bath and Beyond also have lanyards. Since I spent what seems like half my adult life at conventions and shows where I had to wear them, doesn't bother me. We both wear them. My DW wears the blingy ones. The gift shop does have them and we get them punched at customer service.

Sent from my iPad

I use a key chain with a heart and 2 clips. My card gets attached to one clip and the other clip gets hooked on a belt loop, cross body small purse strap, or beach tote....there is usually something with me to attach it to. I used to use a lanyard but find this much more convenient and have used it on my last 3 cruises.

I got my mom a blinged-out lanyard for her cruise. It was pretty. But, it might be a matter of age about whether to wear one or not. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in one and I know my young 20-something sons would never, ever wear one. I've also noticed that newbies tend to wear them more than people who cruise often. To each his own though - whatever floats your boat. :D

One thing to consider is that some people are reporting that when they put their cruise card in their pocket next to their cell phone, it is deactivating the cruise card. We didn't find that to be true in December, but maybe we were just lucky, who knows?

My wife wears her card on a lanyard simply because her clothes often lack pockets. She bought a Princess lanyard, and hasn't mentioned any problems with chafing. On formal nights I carry it in my suit pocket for her.

I carry my card in my pocket, and do not carry anything else except a handkerchief or Kleenex. My card demagnetizes at least once a cruise, and has to be either reprogrammed or replaced. We have an ongoing bet with each other each cruise concerning how long the card will last before it won't open our cabin door.

It must be my electric personality... :rolleyes: