Diamond (and higher) drink vouchers are back on Independence of the Seas

Daghis

On Independence now....NO martinis or cosmos. You can get them (basically) in a regular glass by ordering vodka and vermouth or vodka and cranberry, but you can't actually "order" a martini in a martini glass. We thought it was crazy since they're actually making bigger drinks overall in double old-fashion glasses. Go figure.

On Independence now....NO martinis or cosmos. You can get them (basically) in a regular glass by ordering vodka and vermouth or vodka and cranberry, but you can't actually "order" a martini in a martini glass. We thought it was crazy since they're actually making bigger drinks overall in double old-fashion glasses. Go figure.

That's so odd since they will make normal martinis and cosmos in the DL and CL.

Looks like my predicted cuts are already starting. Next cut, mixed beverages and then we will be down to wine and beer only.... Sad state of affairs. Business is business.

Are you saying that you can't get a martini or cosmos in the CL/DL or at the bars/lounges using the vouchers?

For the forum members onboard currently, is there a menu?

On Legend last week there was a tri-fold menu of liquors (name brand), beers, wine, soda, mixers etc available. I did not think to take one or even take a photo. Given what was listed though there was no reason one would have not been able to get a martini made up though. :confused:

I think it is a good idea for those of us who cruise with non-Diamond friends and family. Yeah, I know, the great unwashed and all that. :rolleyes:

DL has become a non-perk for me. DH doesn't drink and has no interest in bars. Sister has cruised with me on many more cruises than DH and has helped me get to Diamond but she was just short of Diamond when they changed how points are awarded and is now a long way from qualifying. So she can't go in the lounge.

The first time I set foot in a Diamond lounge on Independence of the Seas last January the concierge looked at DS as if she were some stow away who was trying to cop a free drink when all I wanted was to get our passes for the ice show. He did not give me warm fuzzies about the whole DL thing.

Edited by temple1

Royal are once again intent on moving the goal post.!!. They make the excuse that the lounges are getting to crowded, "well they set the goal post targets", if they are sincerely interested in rewarding loyal guest why not make more space available, but instead they find plenty of space to introduce new pay for eating venues!!!.

The overcrowding apparently is an issue and not just an excuse. If you're reading it here then they're getting complaints back at HQ. As far as creating more space, isn't that what they've been doing by adding DL's? How much revenue generating space should they give up?

Can you remember when we used to enjoy the Elite status with Celebrity in Michael's club, they then introduced the voucher system, and turned Michael's club into a speciality pay for beer bar.!! "Hey guess what" Celebrity are reintroducing the privacy of a dedicated concierge service in Michaels club for their special Reflection Suite guest!!.

need I say more, !!!!!!

But they've always maintained a location for the Elite cocktail hour. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Celebrity is just shifting things around. Michael's will be for suite guests and Zenith loyalty members like the CL is for suite guest, Pinnacle, and D+.

Did you experience this in a bar with voucher, in the DL, in the CL or some combination of the above?

Looks like my predicted cuts are already starting. Next cut, mixed beverages and then we will be down to wine and beer only.... Sad state of affairs. Business is business.

Remember vouchers are new to this sailing. If this happened in a bar with a voucher, some bartenders might not yet understand what is allowed. Or conveniently forgot what was allow when he ran low on martini glasses. Or must we always leap to the worst conclusion;)?

Did you experience this in a bar with voucher, in the DL, in the CL or some combination of the above?

Remember vouchers are new to this sailing. If this happened in a bar with a voucher, some bartenders might not yet understand what is allowed. Or conveniently forgot what was allow when he ran low on martini glasses. Or must we always leap to the worst conclusion;)?

Unfortunately, lately with Royal I have been. So many cuts, some quietly made, it is making me think the worse rather than the benefit of the doubt, and I am typically an optimist and have defended royal against many friends and family who have been ripping on them for their cuts.

What everyone thought would happen in January did not. That does not mean nothing is in the works. Writing is on the wall, just don't know when the new 'wall' will be released!!

I for one think if the voucher system is not used and folks still crowd into 4 walls like cattle-you watch for a possible alternate solution. I'm thinking the overflow lounges are the first to go because they could open for true revenue instead of freebie hours. But that's just me thinking out loud.:o I believe they have an idea already and are just creeping it out slowly but surely. Just remember-vouchers are no longer a rumor. This is only stage one. it has many more stages to go I would think.

I'm thinking the overflow lounges are the first to go because they could open for true revenue instead of freebie hours.

I can't argue with your thinking, but in our more recent experiences the overflow typically has used (on Independence for example) Cloud Nine and Seven Hearts, neither of which typically generate any revenue. Not to say they couldn't at some point convert those to a revenue generating venue. On Grandeur it was a small section of the South Pacific Lounge adjacent to the Diamond Club. At those times during the day the SPL was not very crowded to begin with.

But you certainly could have a point - there are reasons they are introducing the vouchers, all of which may not be completely evident yet.

But you certainly could have a point - there are reasons they are introducing the vouchers, all of which may not be completely evident yet.

Lots of changes happening as we type. Next cruise, balcony discounts for short cruises gone.:( The introduction of vouchers I believe do have something to do with this perk and the changes to come. Time will tell.

Lots of changes happening as we type. Next cruise, balcony discounts for short cruises gone.:( The introduction of vouchers I believe do have something to do with this perk and the changes to come. Time will tell.

While as a vacation-goer I am not exactly pleased about the reduction of benefits...well...I look at it like this; people who have worked their way up the chain and are seasoned cruisers have probably been to most "popular" ports many times. They don't buy ship excursions. They have tried the specialty dining already. They now get nightly cocktails, free photos, free internet minutes...onboard revenue must be down. It's well known that first timers spend the most onboard; restaurants, alcohol, ship excursions, no balcony discounts, bogo drink coupons, etc.

So I think they are approaching the limits of what first timers are willing to pay more for before they say "Bag this, let's just go to an all inclusive resort" and now have to find a way to get frequent cruisers to spend more once onboard. Whatever their metrics are...they obviously need to do more to hit it, so they have gone to slashing the amount of discounts they offer.

If they continue to book as well, or maybe nearly as well as they have done, this is a net benefit to the corporation and shareholders. So if you want to see where this is going, just figure out what the $$$ amount on everyones head is and what RCI has to do to get you to part with the money, either through increased spending or weaning off of discounts.

We cannot believe everything we hear or read. A customer service rep seems to have said that to a reliable CC poster, but another rep gave same poster the opposite answer. Are you shocked that (at least) one rep got it wrong? Nah, happens all the time.

And the booking system seems to be giving the discount, so it is too soon to fret over that rumor.

We cannot believe everything we hear or read. A customer service rep seems to have said that to a reliable CC poster, but another rep gave same poster the opposite answer. Are you shocked that (at least) one rep got it wrong? Nah, happens all the time.

And the booking system seems to be giving the discount, so it is too soon to fret over that rumor.

Correct. We will see what and if any changes are in the works.

But, just wait and see, I still think this voucher thing is headed someplace but for now-I do like it. For those who need a certain room or need more then 3 freebies a night...........I don't know.

Correct. We will see what and if any changes are in the works.

But, just wait and see, I still think this voucher thing is headed someplace but for now-I do like it. For those who need a certain room or need more then 3 freebies a night...........I don't know.

Are those wants or are those needs?

The little children in our family were asked that often by one of the adults (not me BTW). I chuckle remembering the frustrated little faces. Eventually they caught on and became careful about the use of the word need.

I do understand that some people really want to be in a certain room or really want more than three drinks per person per night. But if they indeed need more than three drinks a night, they need to see their doctor or visit AA or something...

Edited by Starry Eyes

Hi guys....the "lack of martini" situation happened in both the Diamond Lounge AND in the Viking Crown. You can also use your card for drinks in the shows....that was a nice surprise. Some say it's because the glasses are more difficult to clean and others say it's just a new rule. Cracks us up because they are still making them in larger glasses and giving away even more than they did before.

Overall, I have noticed the cutbacks more on this cruise than ever before. Don't get me wrong, because I LOVE to cruise and I love RCCL. I know the TV situation has been discussed a great deal, but it is annoying. So many "little" things just add up, I guess.

Still a great way to spend 8 days in March...I'll do it again, for sure.

I can't argue with your thinking, but in our more recent experiences the overflow typically has used (on Independence for example) Cloud Nine and Seven Hearts, neither of which typically generate any revenue. Not to say they couldn't at some point convert those to a revenue generating venue. On Grandeur it was a small section of the South Pacific Lounge adjacent to the Diamond Club. At those times during the day the SPL was not very crowded to begin with.

have to wait and see.

My husband and I think vouchers would be great! Our TA on Liberty last fall had so many Ds, D+ & Pinnacles that they had to set up a Diamond Lounge in the Sphinx Lounge (it was packed!) and use the lounge in the Viking Crown for D+, Pinnacles, and Suite Guests. It also was packed each night and was difficult to find a seat plus extremely noisy! We discovered after the second night the actual Diamond Lounge was almost empty so it was a nice place to relax before dinner.

Sherri:)

I actually like the idea of the vouchers as well. As long as they are in conjunction with the lounges and not a replacement. I often travel with non-lounge guests and it would be great to be able to still take advantage of my benefit while still spending time with my friends.

I actually like the idea of the vouchers as well. As long as they are in conjunction with the lounges and not a replacement.

My gut tells me this is where it's heading for D's. Although for me, no biggie but seems it will be real big to some here. Three drinks are not by accident. One before one during and one after dinner. It's supposed to be a thank you for coming back. Not a sit down and pound down as many as you can in the given time frame for some.;)

On 5 b2b now on IOS and they are only doing drinks on card for 3 cruises because of high D etc numbers. 3 each from 5-8:30

Better white wine in other lounge is now available so I am happy! Not available in CL or DL

Working well for us in board.

First cruise of the 3 cruises they are doing it for.

On 5 b2b now on IOS and they are only doing drinks on card for 3 cruises because of high D etc numbers. 3 each from 5-8:30

Better white wine in other lounge is now available so I am happy! Not available in CL or DL

Working well for us in board.

First cruise of the 3 cruises they are doing it for.

A better white wine is music to my ears.

Do you know the dates of the other two voucher sailings?

We sail March 29 and would like to know if we can look forward to vouchers as well as lounges.

Thanks.