Diamond (and higher) drink vouchers are back on Independence of the Seas

Daghis

Wow....I am guessing this is still a matter of extreme interest.

Over 2500 "hits" on this thread and just 48 posts. ;)

Me...count me in as one that also enjoys the lounge and the new

friends we meet with like minded interests (we all love to cruise!!).

Makes our cruise just that much more special. :)

My girlfriend is Diamond and has been cruising with me for the last 14 years.

She gets all most the same benefits as I get except the Specialty Restaurant

on the first night which we usually give her one of our coupons. Internet

minutes she gets and the difference in the Balcony discount is only $25.00.

The main difference is the alcohol. We have known people over the years that

there bar bill was more than their cruise. I usually only have about 3 or

so, but some people like to knock them back. That is why I believe that D+

should get more Vouchers not that we need them, but because we earned

them. Thanks for letting us know that hey are not going to close the lounges,

and that way you can check and see if we know any of ou fellow cruisers.

Edited by cruisequeenfl

I hadn't thought about D+ getting more than Diamond, and Pinnacle getting more than D+. I like that idea. The more your cruise, should be the more benefits you get. Isn't this what a loyalty program is all about!

I'd rather see them do that with a discount on the drink packages. We rarely use the DL or CL so we'd probably get more use out of the vouchers. I get that some people love the DL and CL so I wouldn't want them to lose that.

My husband and I are Diamond Plus and have spent many years getting

there. I don't think it is fair for Diamond to get the same # of drink

tickets as Diamond Plus, there is a big gap between Diamond and Diamond

Plus.

Oh what will be next for us lowly Diamond Members. Perhaps only a half tray of chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our staterooms. :eek::rolleyes::D

cruisequeenfl, You may have my Diamond drink tickets if you do not feel you are getting your fair share. I will stay in the Diamond lounge where the gracious servers are more than happy to see that my glass of bubbly is never empty.:)

On the Indy TA you could go to the DL to get drinks, use the 3 free drink coupons on your sea pass account in any bar on the ship or do both if you wanted.

So you get both. Usage of the D lounge and the 3 drinks loaded onto the Seapass. That's got to be costing them more.

In response to Chip London. If you remember just a few years ago Diamond

only got Champagne and wine. Well I am not really a WINE PERSON AND

ONLY DRINK CHAMPAGE IF IT IS DECENT. There are always rumors going

around about the program changes so I wanted to get to D+ so I could

have a Martini (Lemon Drop) or Gin Tonic etc. I really didn't drive myself

crazy that was just my way of saying it to get to D+ I really don't have to

worry about too much actually. I live very close to all the ports get great

deals, and have met wonderful people. I have never met you, but I do know

a lot of Pinnacle members. I do know someone that knows you though so

maybe I will meet you in the future!! I really never post much on cruise

critic because I really don't like to argue about Stupid Stuff, but when it

comes to something that affects my benefits, I will definitely have an opinion!!

Hey CHIP,

Really didn't drive myself crazy getting to D+ JUST A FIGURE OF SPEACH!!

If you remember years ago Diamond only got Wine and CHAMAGNE. I

don't really like wine, and I like Champagne only if it's decent. That was

really the reason to get to D+ plus a lot of my friends are also.My husband and

I have been cruising for 20 years, and have a lot more cruises than just

Royal. We go on Royal for the benefits, but we are open to other cruise

lines. You were talking about Celebrity, well it is o.k. but a total different

crowd from Royal, and they don't have Balcony Discounts and they also

don't have near as much benefits as Royal. I am 54 this Saturday, but if

I make it to Pinnacle I will probably be 80 years old. I love cruising, but like to

be home with friends, shop and rest. I live close to the ports so we go

quite a bit. I know a lot of Pinnacle people, but I have never met you,

but I do know someone that knows you however. I never really write on

cruise critic, but if it affects my benefits I will have an opinion.

My girlfriend is Diamond and has been cruising with me for the last 14 years.

She gets all most the same benefits as I get except the Specialty Restaurant

on the first night which we usually give her one of our coupons. Internet

minutes she gets and the difference in the Balcony discount is only $25.00.

The main difference is the alcohol. We have known people over the years that

there bar bill was more than their cruise. I usually only have about 3 or

so, but some people like to knock them back. That is why I believe that D+

should get more Vouchers not that we need them, but because we earned

them. Thanks for letting us know that hey are not going to close the lounges,

and that way you can check and see if we know any of ou fellow cruisers.

I don't understand your point. Diamond members get the same perks in the Diamond lounge as the D+ get in the CL. They can drink whatever they want. So why a need for more vouchers for the D+ members? :confused:

Having just gotten off my first cruise as a Diamond member I like the idea of a voucher system that would have given us 3 drinks to use in other venues while still having the option of the lounge.

We met many nice couples in the lounge, but still met other couples on excursions or at dinner that were new cruisers and would be nice to have the option to use our Diamond benefits in more than one venue.

I think it would have expanded our cruise experience (maybe one evening in the VCL before dinner, another at the pool bar, yet another lounging in the Centrum with some live music). Of course I am very appreciative of the lounge benefits Royal now extends to us, but I also like the idea of 3 "out and about".

I don't understand your point. Diamond members get the same perks in the Diamond lounge as the D+ get in the CL. They can drink whatever they want. So why a need for more vouchers for the D+ members? :confused:

I was wondering the same thing...If a ship has a DL and a CL, the D's generally(*) get the same drinks as the D+'s. The food in the DL is similar to the CL. On some ships the CL is nicer than the DL; on other ships the DL is nicer than the CL. On some cruises I like the bartenders and cruisers in the CL better than the DL; on other cruises, the reverse. So, if a ship has CL and DL, you might find me in either lounge on a given night, but either way, I am nursing the same drink and, unless service is poor, the same number of drinks.

*I say generally because sometimes only the bartender in the DL or the CL will make a free Bellini for me. And sometimes one or the other makes a much better Bellini, IMHO. And sometimes neither make a Bellini (or a neither makes good one). And once I had Bailey's in the Cl, but did not see it in the DL on that sailing. So, I while I admit there is some variation among sailings, in general, I see the same drinks either place.

Thanks for letting us know. We'll be on IOS next and will be following this thread to learn more about people's experiences. We're very interested to hear if the CL was still open for cocktails in the evening, and more about experiences at the bars and what cocktails are included.

Still open. The vouchers I hear are good for similar drinks offers in the CL and DL.

Please lets not start that discussion again. There were hundreds of posts at the end of 2013 all predicting, even guaranteeing, such a thing to be announced in January. Guess what? It never happened.

All this speculation does is give the sense that lowering of benefits are expected and acceptable.

I, for one, would prefer not to go there!

In response to Chip London. If you remember just a few years ago Diamond

only got Champagne and wine. Well I am not really a WINE PERSON AND

ONLY DRINK CHAMPAGE IF IT IS DECENT. There are always rumors going

around about the program changes so I wanted to get to D+ so I could

have a Martini (Lemon Drop) or Gin Tonic etc. I really didn't drive myself

crazy that was just my way of saying it to get to D+ I really don't have to

worry about too much actually. I live very close to all the ports get great

deals, and have met wonderful people. I have never met you, but I do know

a lot of Pinnacle members. I do know someone that knows you though so

maybe I will meet you in the future!! I really never post much on cruise

critic because I really don't like to argue about Stupid Stuff, but when it

comes to something that affects my benefits, I will definitely have an opinion!!

Hi I agree with you, we are D + and we enjoy the the perk of the CL, the same as we also previously enjoyed the DL in the past.

Rccl have been dangling the carrot to encourage us all to spend thousands more pounds & $ in order to obtain the various levels. Like a lot of people we have met many new friends in these lounges, who have similar cruising experiences which promotes great conversations, this voucher system will maybe work well for D+ people who are cruising with friends who are not D+, but make no mistake, by Rccl taking this line of direction without a doubt it is the thin edge of the wedge.

Royal are once again intent on moving the goal post.!!. They make the excuse that the lounges are getting to crowded, "well they set the goal post targets", if they are sincerely interested in rewarding loyal guest why not make more space available, but instead they find plenty of space to introduce new pay for eating venues!!!.

Can you remember when we used to enjoy the Elite status with Celebrity in Michael's club, they then introduced the voucher system, and turned Michael's club into a speciality pay for beer bar.!! "Hey guess what" Celebrity are reintroducing the privacy of a dedicated concierge service in Michaels club for their special Reflection Suite guest!!.

need I say more, !!!!!!

Hi I agree with you, we are D + and we enjoy the the perk of the CL, the same as we also previously enjoyed the DL in the past.

Rccl have been dangling the carrot to encourage us all to spend thousands more pounds & $ in order to obtain the various levels. Like a lot of people we have met many new friends in these lounges, who have similar cruising experiences which promotes great conversations, this voucher system will maybe work well for D+ people who are cruising with friends who are not D+, but make no mistake, by Rccl taking this line of direction without a doubt it is the thin edge of the wedge.

Royal are once again intent on moving the goal post.!!. They make the excuse that the lounges are getting to crowded, "well they set the goal post targets", if they are sincerely interested in rewarding loyal guest why not make more space available, but instead they find plenty of space to introduce new pay for eating venues!!!.

Can you remember when we used to enjoy the Elite status with Celebrity in Michael's club, they then introduced the voucher system, and turned Michael's club into a speciality pay for beer bar.!! "Hey guess what" Celebrity are reintroducing the privacy of a dedicated concierge service in Michaels club for their special Reflection Suite guest!!.

need I say more, !!!!!!

I might be the thin edge of the wedge. Or maybe it is a solution to overcrowding. Those who want a drink or two or three can pop into any bar, leaving the space in the lounges for those who specifically want to be dedicated lounges. With vouchers as well as dedicated lounges, you might even find more like minded people and fewer people who rather be at a different bar )with live music or friends or whatever).

Celebrity memory lane...Do you remember when people got one credit max for a cruise. And do you remember when they were a smaller line with fewer and smaller ships? Then came the extra credit for long cruises. Then came the extra credit for a glorified balcony cabin (the oddly named "concierge class"). And more and bigger ships. And, IIRC, they added more short cruises, too. Over a few years the number of Elites grew quickly, as they could make Elite with rather few nights at sea. So many Elites! Elites no longer fit into Michael Club. So the Elite events are now in a big lounge with a great view. Not intimate, but the Elites fit on most sailings and I for one have enjoyed it there. I have not been on a Celebrity voucher cruise, so wait to I'll try it before I knock it. When I spring for a pricey suite, I suspect will lap up the amenities that come with that suite; when I do not spring for the pricey suite, I will in no way resent those that did...I just be grateful if they let me see the suite during the cabin crawl:).

Edited by Starry Eyes

I might be the thin edge of the wedge. Or maybe it is a solution to overcrowding. Those who want a drink or two or three can pop into any bar, leaving the space in the lounges for those who specifically want to be dedicated lounges. With vouchers as well as dedicated lounges, you might even find more like minded people and fewer people who rather be at a different bar )with live music or friends or whatever).

Celebrity memory lane...Do you remember when people got one credit max for a cruise. And do you remember when they were a smaller line with fewer and smaller ships? Then came the extra credit for long cruises. Then came the extra credit for a glorified balcony cabin (the oddly named "concierge class"). And more and bigger ships. And, IIRC, they added more short cruises, too. Over a few years the number of Elites grew quickly, as they could make Elite with rather few nights at sea. So many Elites! Elites no longer fit into Michael Club. So the Elite events are now in a big lounge with a great view. Not intimate, but the Elites fit on most sailings and I for one have enjoyed it there. I have not been on a Celebrity voucher cruise, so wait to I'll try it before I knock it. When I spring for a pricey suite, I suspect will lap up the amenities that come with that suite; when I do not spring for the pricey suite, I will in no way resent those that did...I just be grateful if they let me see the suite during the cabin crawl:).

I agree with some of what you say , but the point that I make is that if this new voucher system works for "them financially" they will quite likely close the D & C lounges which will give us less options, then if they want they can reduce the vouchers from 3 to 2 or to 1. I'm not looking for a confrontation with anyone, its just that our so called perks have been gradually reduced. Not long ago we were kicked out of the CL because they chose to change the points requirement. We love to cruise, but if a cruise line makes an offer of benefits if I spend more money with them, then I expect them to honour it. Just my honest opinion!.

OK I did not read all the posts, but in the past we have gotten our fav martini in the Diamond Lounge:) Is this gonna change? I really want my one or two martinis:)

Martinis should continue to be available in the lounge and via the vouchers.

Just off the Navigator. We had a fog delay and while we were waiting, had a chance to visit one last time with a B2B cruiser we had met during our week. She showed us a letter already received in her stateroom explaining the voucher system that was being implemented for this next cruise. Looks like the system is getting implemented throughout the fleet.

She was confused as to whether or not the CL or DL would be available to her. We told her it would. Being a single cruiser, the lounge is her preferred environment. I have to agree with those who have posted on this thread that the DL or CL are easier places to visit. Having developed a hearing issue over the last two years, the lack of loud music in the DL or CL is a bonus. Hoping RCCL doesn't close their DL's or CL's in the future.

Edited by denamo

Focus on the positives! You can now have a drink in the Schooner Bar or the Centrum with entertainment. You can sit in the hot tub! You can enjoy more time with your friends and/or family. You can enjoy dinner and a drink in the WindJammer.

Maybe RCI did this to make you happy? Why all the doom and gloom?

Enjoy your future cruise.

I have to agree with Steveru621. If you are traveling with children, going to the CL, even if permitted, is not ideal. Some evenings we just don't feel like getting dressed up. Have you ever gone into the CL after a busy port day, still in shorts and flip flops? I am sure there are a million other reasons this is a great solution to not only over crowding but other problems that arise. I think in the end this will cost RCCL more money than just having the free drinks in the lounges. My favorite thing in the CL is the coffee machine and pastries in the morning.

Mmm that is an interesting point of view, I wonder what your thoughts would be if you were a Diamond, and D+ got say 4 or 5 vouchers for use throughout the day. Would you feel as if their benefit had been increased or yours reduced. Also out of interest, how do you feel about us Pinnacle Members who have a much bigger gap between D+ and P, than there is beteen D and D+. Maybe they will give us a drink package similar to that offered to Zenith Members on Celebrity :D

Chip. good point and well said.:)

Just off the Navigator. We had a fog delay and while we were waiting, had a chance to visit one last time with a B2B cruiser we had met during our week. She showed us a letter already received in her stateroom explaining the voucher system that was being implemented for this next cruise. Looks like the system is getting implemented throughout the fleet.

Thanks for sharing that. I hope it does go fleetwide:)

I'm a bit afraid to mention this for the storm it may bring, but in the interest of disclosure of my experience onboard, I figured I should mention it...

We were in Olive or Twist last night to get my free drinks. The bartender mentioned, after he had conferred with his supervisor, that it would be acceptable for me to share my Diamond drink vouchers during happy hour with my friend (cabinmate) who's only Emerald (but will be Diamond after the completion of this cruise). That's very nice of them and allows me to spend time with my friend and enjoy happy hour with him.

This is a great idea of they maintain it at its current level. I just worry over time t will give them an easy way to limit the number of drinks during happy hour. At it's current level I love it, but can see them dropping it to 2 drinks, then only beer and wine and then one drink.