How to avoid Montezuma's revenge in the Caribbean?

scrapperluv

Hi everyone! I travel to Mexico just south of the Californian border frequently and ALWAYS take bottled water and avoid drinks with ice (beer in bottles helps!).

Do you all bring your own water for shore excursions? Do you trust the ice in mixed drinks? I'd love to have some at the port towns, but I'm hesitant.

I was in Mazatlan at a resort a few years ago and got a HORRIBLE stomach bug. Three days in bed (and running to the bathroom)! The only thing it could have been was the ice in the mixed drinks but I was at a resort that claimed they only used safe water.

BTW we're stopping in Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I'd love to hear your tips! Thanks!

Edited by scrapperluv

Montezuma's Revenge - and all the other names it is known by - is more often than not a reaction by a sensitive stomach belonging to someone who does not travel very often or very far.

Many times when Mexicans visit the USA, they often have the same stomach problems.

There is nothing really wrong with the food and drink (in most cases), but when your gastro-intestinal system encounters different spices, liquids, foods, and bacteria than it normally has to process, the results are not very pretty.

Ice cubes and the condensed water on drink containers are often the culprits.

Poorly washed eating utensils at street vendor stalls are another cause.

Poorly stored, heated, or cooled foods in unfamiliar countries are another.

If you are prone to suffering when eating/drinking things in foreign places, you might best avoid doing it.

From a cruise ship you can take your own drinks and ice ashore in most countries.

If you are eating the 8 or more meals per day that many cruise passengers enjoy, it will probably be safe to go ashore for a few hours without eating anything at all.

Most of the places I hear of like Nachi cocum (sp) have a water filtering system I hear from boards..I am afraid too. Drink lots of water,,,take a good probiotic...bring Lomotil..and research places where most here have had no problems, the first time around.....consider going bottled...it is hard i know..Sarah

Montezuma's Revenge - and all the other names it is known by - is more often than not a reaction by a sensitive stomach belonging to someone who does not travel very often or very far.

Many times when Mexicans visit the USA, they often have the same stomach problems.

There is nothing really wrong with the food and drink (in most cases), but when your gastro-intestinal system encounters different spices, liquids, foods, and bacteria than it normally has to process, the results are not very pretty.

If you are prone to suffering when eating/drinking things in foreign places, you might best avoid doing it.

From a cruise ship you can take your own drinks and ice ashore in most countries.

If you are eating the 8 or more meals per day that many cruise passengers enjoy, it will probably be safe to go ashore for a few hours without eating anything at all.

Thank you for the info. I'm aware of what Montezuma's Revenge is but I was interested in what people do to avoid it in these areas. I've traveled through Europe and lived in England without precautions and never got sick. The sanitation and water treatment in Mexico and South America is very different than what we're used to, yes, but avoiding traveling there for that reason would be silly.

It's good to know we can take water bottles from the ship. Any other ideas out there?

Most of the places I hear of like Nachi cocum (sp) have a water filtering system I hear from boards..I am afraid too. Drink lots of water,,,take a good probiotic...bring Lomotil..and research places where most here have had no problems, the first time around.....consider going bottled...it is hard i know..Sarah

Yes, I think it'd be a good idea to know where people have eaten safely! I'll check around and see what restaurants people recommend.

BTW, my friend here is a PA and she's giving me antobiotics to carry just in case. She said a combo of Cipro/Flagyl will treat most bacteria and parasites people come across from drinking local water in these areas. After that 3 days in Mazatlan I'd rather be safe than sorry!

We have eaten and had drinks in all the ports that you mentioned and never had a problem.

Back in the 80's when we first started cruising we were very careful of what and where we had food and drinks. Back then we would take the ship's water with us. We still do that just for excursions that we know will be long.

When we lived in Mexico, these were our suggestions for our guests eating out of the house:

1) Eat only fruit that you peel yourself like bananas and oranges

2) Don't eat cold food prepared by human hands. This would include any kind of salad or fruit salad.

3) Eat hot cooked food like tacos, beans, rice, soup, and tortillas

4) Always drink beverages directly from a bottle like soda and beer

5) Never drink a beverage with ice

We always felt that there were little or no public health regulations covering food service. The food might be fine, but the folks preparing it might not be observing the same cleanliness standards we expect in the US. Our guests who followed our suggestions did not have any bad food experiences.

Running a house in Mexico was often a challenge. We had a giant purified water container in the kitchen. All the vegetables and certain fruits were soaked in chloroxed purified water for several hours. Purified water was used for all cooking. We always had cases of bottled drinks in the kitchen.

What about taking the vaccine "Dukoral" for travellers diarrhea. In Canada it is available in pharmacies without a prescription. Protects against the most common cause of traveller's diarrhea. Protects against cholera too.

It is an oral vaccine.

What about taking the vaccine "Dukoral" for travellers diarrhea. In Canada it is available in pharmacies without a prescription. Protects against the most common cause of traveller's diarrhea. Protects against cholera too.

It is an oral vaccine.

This vaccine only protects against enterotoxic e. coli and cholera. There are many, many other causes of gastrointestinal upset. Counting on this vaccine to protect you is living in a fool's paradise. I could see this drug as a useful adjunct if you were traveling or vacationing for an extended time in a third world country with questionable sanitation.But for a cruiser on a brief port excursion simple common sense precautions should be more than sufficient.

I think I got it from washing my hands. Seriously. I was at a buffet restaurant on the Amazon River. I was a good girl and decided to wash my hands before eating. Little did I know that the water came directly from the river. I carefully avoided any food that could have possibly have come in contact with water. But I ate a piece of bread with my hands and I think that was the culprit. That's my story anyway.

Once in Mexico a tour guide told us we would get a free can of soda at the next stop, but he told us we should ask for a straw. The cans were immersed in tubs of water and ice and could be contaminated.

Our guide last month in Cozumel said even they don't drink the water.

I have eaten and had frozen drinks and drinks with ice at all the Caribbean ports I have traveled to. I have also traveled to Cozumel, Cancun, the Riviera Maya and have never gotten sick. I have a sensitive stomach and always carry Imodium, but I have never needed it. I have never eaten anything from a vendor stall. Drink bottled beer if you feel the place may be questionable and stay away from salads. Also bring wet ones and you can wipe off utensils and the tops of soda cans to be on the safe side. If you don't want to be adventurous then take bottled water from the ship with you and bring a snack from the ship.

Wet wipes are going on my list!!!

I don't know what bug it was that I picked up in Mazatlan, but it was vicious. Imodium wouldn't have helped. I was running to the bathroom and sick from both ends (sorry!). That's the thing I'm trying to avoid because it ruined my trip.

I''m taking better precautions this time especially because I have kids to take care of. The resort had signs all over the place saying their water was safe for drinking but obviously it wasn't. Plus I'd had 3 drinks with ice cubes in their restaurant.

Ocho Rios,

I usually take my own water onshore. However, have eaten and drank at a couple restaurants over the years and never had a problem.

Grand Cayman,

Absolutely no problem on this island. Very high standard of living and ALL water is purified.

Mazatlan,

The island has no fresh water supply and must use purified water for use and ice cubes.

I lived in Southern California for 30 years and went south of the border many times and had to be careful in TJ, Ensenada and Rosarita Beach. However your ports will be fine.

Hi everyone! I travel to Mexico just south of the Californian border frequently and ALWAYS take bottled water and avoid drinks with ice (beer in bottles helps!).

Do you all bring your own water for shore excursions? Do you trust the ice in mixed drinks? I'd love to have some at the port towns, but I'm hesitant.

I was in Mazatlan at a resort a few years ago and got a HORRIBLE stomach bug. Three days in bed (and running to the bathroom)! The only thing it could have been was the ice in the mixed drinks but I was at a resort that claimed they only used safe water.

BTW we're stopping in Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I'd love to hear your tips! Thanks!

Oh, I guess it'd be helpful if I told you all that we'll be doing an all-day excursion from Cozumel to Tulum to see the Mayan ruins. Tulum worries me more than Cozumel. I'll pack lots of water bottles for this excursion!

Yes, for here i would take water..and i think Nachi Cocum is one of the 2 all inlusives in Cozumel that so many folks do and seem to take everything from their bar and food inclusive thing and be fine..

But yes,,I would say just from reading here..Grand Cayman fine...and as it is Tulum..just take two big waters per person..and maybe a bottled beer/water or soda pop you wipe top of with something appropriate is ok purchased there. ICE it is in can be the problem!!

The folks who lived there ans so nicely typed rules here form Boston..that is advice we took for a week in a condo in 1981..Puerto Vallarta.

We did fine in Puerto Vallarta a lifetime ago at a resort with bottled water etc..making our own ice..in that day so many places were filtered, but so many not... so still followed the rules mentioned above..too many fruity drinks and dehydration of my gorgeous sister from the fiesta was another disaster and infection...LOL..

"Is this a Mexican fiesta or a Mexican fiasco?"..my grieving grandma's comment circa 1981 and family joke for years to come.

The doctor then gave her gladiolas after being able to give her a shot on that perfect behind...LOL..it was not pure LOVE...now you know the rest of the story...just be careful. Same sis did have her honeymoon in Cabo at a nice resort and did fine..but i am privy to the sad stories and I LOVE cruise ship food and water and drinks and wise food plans there for these places...where water system is not as strict. you will get varied opinions..many people have built up resistance who go often..but many have not...

Very exciting for your family to see those ruins..have a wonderful time!!

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

This vaccine only protects against enterotoxic e. coli and cholera. There are many, many other causes of gastrointestinal upset. Counting on this vaccine to protect you is living in a fool's paradise. I could see this drug as a useful adjunct if you were traveling or vacationing for an extended time in a third world country with questionable sanitation.But for a cruiser on a brief port excursion simple common sense precautions should be more than sufficient.

I'm not counting on it to protect me from everything. I take precautions with food and drink and use common sense. But I think using this vaccine adds another layer of protection. I don't think that means I live in a "fools paradise" at all. It's a little added insurance, and I feel I am worth the cost.

I also have traveled to many places in Mexico and have never gotten sick.

The things I do:

Only drink bottled water.

Don't eat anything that isn't cooked and only eat fruit that has a peel.

I always carry liquid hand sanitizers and wet wipes. I wipe off anything that is going into my mouth; utensils, tops of bottles, tops of cans, etc.

I often bring my own bottled water off the ship and pre-packaged snacks just in case I'm on an excursion that doesn't offer these things.

I hope you have a great trip and no Montezuma's Revenge!:p

I've never had a problem, and don't do anything special. I take probiotics and eat yoghurt fairly frequently anyway. If you have good intestinal health, the water in the Caribbean should not really be an issue. The source is usually desalinated water on the flat, coral islands (Bahamas, Cayman, etc) or ground water that's filtered through volcanic rock (Jamaica, etc.) and both are usually pretty clean. You should really only have a problem if you don't have healthy gut bacteria already.