Honey Stung Chicken

OK, I never thought I'd start a honey stung chicken thread......it's fine but nothing special to me. But, my wife and daughter were giving me the old "It's a cruise tradition on the first day....." speech last night:D I told them I thought it was frozen-in-the-bag-tyson stuff and they wouldn't buy it. So help me out guys! Tell me it's not some gourmet cooked to order specialty and help me settle a bet!

Thanks for whatever honey-stung comments show up!:)

It used to be good, now it is not so good ...it's only on the 1st day..last time I had it, it was sort of mystery chicken that was pretty bad..

And there have been several threads on honey stung chicken of late...

At one point, it was fresh, yummy, white meat...now it was sort of soggy, slimy mystery chicken...that was on Grandeur in November.... ugh.

You can't convince me it is not frozen appetizer style chicken. I would not be surprised in the least to find out it is processed chicken. Covered in breading and some high fructose corn syrup sauce. Cheap and filling for day one when Windjammer is your main option for the cruise line I guess. Some have reported the Honey Stung chicken on room service menu is still using real whole white breast meat.

Seafood Paella is another first day treat and much more satisfying (just my opinion)

Edited by LMaxwell

You can't convince me it is not frozen appetizer style chicken. I would not be surprised in the least to find out it is processed chicken. Covered in breading and some high fructose corn syrup sauce.

Yep. :D

Ingredients:

Chicken parts, water, seasoning [sugar, honey powder (honey solids, high fructose corn syrup, wheat starch, corn syrup), sucralose (non-nutritive sweetener), artificial flavor, molasses, natural flavor], salt, sodium phosphates. BREADED WITH: Wheat flour, yellow corn flour, salt, modified corn starch, wheat gluten, spices, egg whites, onion powder, paprika, honey, wheat starch, spice extractive, soy lecithin.

If anyone has ever watched "Inside: Worlds Biggest Cruise Ship" on National Geographic about Freedom of the Seas first New Years cruise, they show a lot of footage in the galley and someone is preparing what very much looks like the REAL Honey Stung Chicken of days gone by.

It is definitely a frozen processed product now.

Edited by ryano

Its a tradition that has gone to the same place dinosaurs has gone. Beside, it was not available on The Navigator the week of March 2nd.

When I asked one of the Chef's why it was no longer available he said they could not get it from their supplier.

So for all you cruisers who didn't care of it, it is one less thing to by pass in the buffet line. :)

Inside information, or speculation??

Thats what I was told anyway :)

If you google Honey Stung Chicken, anything that isnt a Royal Caribbean reference comes up Tyson food services.

Its definitely processed, frozen chicken now though. It reminds me of a giant Mcnugget :D

It used to be good, now it is not so good ...it's only on the 1st day..last time I had it, it was sort of mystery chicken that was pretty bad..

And there have been several threads on honey stung chicken of late...

At one point, it was fresh, yummy, white meat...now it was sort of soggy, slimy mystery chicken...that was on Grandeur in November.... ugh.

The definitive answer!

you can buy honey stung chicken in your local grocery store's frozen food aisle. it's basically the same stuff you get on board these days.

Haven't seen it around here, will have to keep my eyes out. Although if its processed rather than real breast meat strips/tenders, then I'll probably pass even if I do find it! :(

Thats what I was told anyway :)

If you google Honey Stung Chicken, anything that isnt a Royal Caribbean reference comes up Tyson food services.

Its definitely processed, frozen chicken now though. It reminds me of a giant Mcnugget :D

I can believe this because when we use to order, on previous cruises, from Room Service it looked it the frozen breaded chicken patties that we buy from Sam's Club.

Inside information, or speculation??

I have a very good friend who is high up in mgt. at Tyson. They, RCI and Tyson, couldn't come to agreement on price, so RCI stopped buying. It was Tyson chicken for several years until they stopped the purchase.

The way things are going at RCI lately - up charges now on almost everything, I'd be surprised if they didn't bring it back with a $2 fee now :-).

• 2 weeks later...

We were recently on Jewel and there was none to be found in Windjammer there either.

Fortunately, I had seen here that it has not been around lately so I was prepared.

Another cruising tradition seems to be disappearing:(

It was not available on Serenade on Feb 1st this year. Might just be gone for good from what I'm seeing.

Not available on the Liberty March 10.:(

Not available on the Explorer 2 weeks ago. They called it chicken tenders!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the BEST thing about the Honey Stung Chicken on embarkation day is you are GUARANTEED they every subsequent meal can only get better. :)

I have still been getting the honey stung chicken in room service

Though

I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums