Update From Andy

Andy

Dear Andy,

I am so very sorry to hear this news. Am sending positive thoughts and best wishes to you and your family. Hope your sister has a complete recovery and that you and your Mom can relax and enjoy your cruise. PLEASE do not post from the ship. We all understand. Just relax and decompress. And do let us know how your sister does. Will be keeping you in my thoughts.

Andy, thank you for all you do on this board. We wish your sister a successful operation and a good recovery. We will miss your review but it is best for you to get some rest and enjoy your cruise to the fullest. Enjoy Perry too!

With all the thoughts and prayers coming from your extended family here on Cruise Critic, I'm sure your sister will come through just fine, and your vacation will be terrific.

Please do not worry about us. We'll slap ourselves on the wrist every time a new thread on smoking pops up :-)

Andy.. we will be praying for you and your family. My motto has always been Family First!

A few yrs ago when our dtr received a serious diagnosis, we had to cancel a long anticipated British Isles cruise after final payment with all hotels, excursions airline etc. On the day we would have cruised, she had her surgery and I am glad to report she is doing very well two yrs later and getting married this June. So miracles do happen!

We'll forgive you for not even checking back here. Do what you have to do at work and with your family... and if the cruise is able to go forward enjoy it as a time out rather than needing to keep us all posted!

Thanks for all that you do!!!

Andy, You do so much for this board. No one here will take fault if you don't post from your cruise. Prayers are going your way for you and your family. Hope your sister does well and you can have a restful cruise.

Pat

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your beautiful & heartwarming comments. They are sincerely appreciated. As many are aware, I consider our members as my extended family. My passion for helping our dear community members, is what keeps me here. Counting my Cruise Critic time on AOL, it's going to be 20 years next year. Anyone else remember "The Cruise Experience" live chat on AOL, that I hosted on Monday nights ? I suspect not too many remember that, but a few Hosts remain on CC, from the AOL days ! That's how loyal we are :)

BTW, while I appreciate the comments to stay away from CC while I'm onboard Eclipse.... but you know that's not going to happen. It wouldn't seem right to me, but I promise to try and relax and not worry about CC all day.

As always, thank you for being there for us. Your kind words makes a huge difference right now. You are the best !

Edited by Host Andy

I have greatly appreciated your postings the past year or so...I have found them very helpful. I can empathize with your emotions. My prayers and positive thoughts to your family and your sister's healthy recovery!

We were in a similar situation just prior to our longest cruise ever.. planned well over a year with friends-a15 nighter to Hawaii on the Century last October. It became clear that my 89year old father was in the beginnings of dementia this past July, and my parents insisted that we go ahead and 'enjoy' our trip. As I am an only child, I had my doubts that this was wise, but he was stable up until our trip and my 84 year old mother "absolutely under no circumstances" would hear of our cancelling the long anticipated holiday. It would have been very iffy if our travel insurance would cover our cruise....my parents both refused any type of evaluation or hospitalization other than their family doctor who was shocked when I later sent him Dad's Oct/Nov hospitalization records. During Dad's last visit in August he did not believe me when I told him to look for dementia..'he is fine' we were all told even though I had warned the doc earlier via telephone conv of quirky/scarey things that Dad would say and do. Relatives who were always friendly to me gave me the cold shoulder for months, of course the most vocal and 'closest' never even called my parents to see how they were faring. My adult children and their neighbors dropped by and helped as best as their grandparents/friends would allow. When I got home it became clear that dear dad had suddenly gotten much worse, he thought that I had died the entire 15 days,even though I spoke to him when in San Diego and Hawaii, I was an imposter!!. A week after our return, I drove the 2 of them shouting and pleading to the closest ER..now they are in a safe facility together, and Mom can "help" him as long as she insists. Was the trip worth it to me, yes and no ..I need to go back to Hawaii to enjoy it, I did relax a little when my guilt would allow. I would have had 2 very angry parents and an angry hubby if we didn't go. I did need the escape from reality for 2 weeks; it did give me some stamina for what was awaiting me at home and the long months afterwards. Next sanity break for us will be for 8 nighter in June to Bermuda and hopefully all my ducks are in a orderly row. Other than my 2 children and hubby, and one cousin(& his wife) most of have given me the cold shoulder.. family support still nonexistent and I am considered 'cold hearted'.

It sounds as if you and your sister have strong family support which is so important; she would would probably feel worse and guilty if you cancelled. Try to enjoy!

Ginny, It appears that you are still working through a difficult time. Like Andy, you need hugs from friends on the message board here, and you need all the positive energy we can send you.

Please know you are not alone in making difficult vacation decisions and leaving loved ones behind for a cruise break. A cruise gives you time to rest and regain your stamina for whatever is ahead.

Andy, my best wishes to you that you will find time to relax during your cruise and return home to find your sister much improved.

I wish Happy Cruising to all who need a break for whatever reasons.

-Marisa