How Much do I Tip.

sodafarl

In a few weeks time my wife and I are due to go on a 10 day river cruise on the Elbe river in Germany. This will be the first time either of us have been on a cruise, sea or river. On reading the literature that accompanied the tickets I saw a section entitled "Gratuities" and while it stated "Tipping on board is at your discretion" it went on to suggest a gratuity of 2 euro per guest per day for a programme director and 12 euro per guest per day to be distributed among the ships staff.

This cruise is sold out so it has 112 guests served by a crew of 32.

112 (Guests)X 2 (Euro) X 10 Days =2240 euro for the Programme Director.

112 (Guests) X 12 (Euro) X 10 days =13440 euro divided between 32 crew = 420 euro each .

Now obviously this breaks down to 280 euro per couple so is this the norm/ do these figures seem excessive or an I just a cheap skate who does not feel comfortable at perhaps having to pay gratuities to poorly paid staff in order to give them a decent wage.

I would be greatly obliged if anyone can give me advice on this tricky subject.

I don't know what line you are going on, but whatever cruise line we are on, whether river or ocean, we always tip at least the recommended gratuities, and on most occasions, more. We consider it part of our cruise fare. And, yes, they are, most likely, underpaid, and depend on gratuities for their livelihood.

I have been told that the Program Director gets no salary at all, and they work so hard on each cruise that they have to take the next one off to recuperate. So I think they earn the recommended gratuity. The rest of the crew gets some salary, which is why the recommendation is lower for them.

Waiters and stateroom attendants usually are working in skiing hotels during the winter season.

Program/Cruise directors are free lancers and not employed by the river cruise company. So they mainly do live out of the tips.

steamboats

Tipping is, for better or worse, the way staff and crew gets compensated. Whether any poster agrees with this compensation method, whether one thinks crew should be paid a decent wage by the cruise line, tipping is the way on most lines.

I wouldn't spend time on arithmetic trying to figure out how much anyone makes. Not everyone on the ship is tipped, and for those who are tipped there may well be differentials based on position. Save the arithmetic for determining how much to put in the envelope.

Enjoy your cruise.

And keep in mind that the Program Director has to pay for his health insurance and also for social security (which in Germany means unemployment payment and retirement payment) plus more insurance stuff not mentioning the income tax. So roughly he keeps 50-60% of what he gets.

steamboats

Thanks for all the advice, and I didn't spend much time doing the sums but thought 2240 euro was a bit excessive if it was on top of the Prog. Dir. paid salary but if, as you more experienced cruisers seem to think, the guy is self employed and this is his wage then I can live with that.

Again many thanks for your help

And keep in mind that the Program Director has to pay for his health insurance and also for social security (which in Germany means unemployment payment and retirement payment) plus more insurance stuff not mentioning the income tax. So roughly he keeps 50-60% of what he gets.

steamboats

We're not that far from that here in the US today!

Sergio

People who complain about tipping so that others can make a decent living have obviously never worked in the service industry. What if YOUR boss decided each week to pay you at his whim? Whatever he thought you were worth to him that week? Would you like that? Even better, what if your customers got to decide what your product or services are worth? I don't think you'd like other people deciding what you get paid. Do you sit in your doctor's office and calculate how many patients he sees a day/week/month and decide he's making too much money and therefore write a check for $25 as your fair share? I can guarantee the Cruise director earns a very low base pay. He is in charge of 120-130 people every day, spending long hours making sure you have the best experience possible.

Tour companies and cruise lines and restaurants hang their lower lever staff out to dry. They don't have the competitive courage to pay their employees a living wage, which would require raising their prices. They know you won't balk at paying the full tab presented at the end of the meal. The restaurant will get paid but it's the wait staff, or bus driver, or cabin steward who will take it on the chin when someone decides to stiff them on their well deserved tips.

Just like the doctor, don't look at what he does for everyone else. Look what he does for YOU. And surely you will find that the cruise director's efforts in your behalf are going to be worth a measly two or three bucks per day.

You want everyone to be paid a fair wage up front so you don't have to tip? Fine! Are you willing to pay an extra 10% or so for your tour or cruise? You actually had that choice with the pre-paid tip option.

Speaking personally, I am a Tour Director. I take groups on holidays all over the world.

I spend 12 to 14 hours with my guests every single day and that does not count getting up early to get their bags loaded onto the motor coach and doing paperwork and lots of phone calls every night, lining things up to make sure tomorrow goes smoothly for you. After eleven years, I make $100 a day salary with no benefits whatsoever. You like to break things down to individuals? Okay, try this on: Suppose you paid $2000 for a ten day tour. That's $200 a day. I average about 40 people on a tour. The portion of your tour price that goes to me is about $2.50 a day or a little over 20 cents an hour for the average day. $25.00 out of the $2000 you paid for the tour goes to me! Yeah, I'm getting rich off of that! So, when it comes time to tip, the recommended tip is $5 a day per person. That totals about $7.50 a day that I would earn for 12 to 14 hour days trying to give you your dream vacation. $7.50 is less than a tip for a good meal where the waitress spends a total of five minutes working for you. Almost as much as your wife will tip your hair stylist for a 20 minute hair cut. I spend ALL DAY working for you. For ten days straight with no time off. You could NEVER had done all that I can give you on your own. Never. I'm good at what I do. If I can't make a living at it, next time you'll have someone new, less experienced until he decides he can't make a living, either. Then where will you be?

That goes for the Cruise Director, too. If you don't want to tip him. Don't use ANY of his services. If you don't want to tip the cabin steward, make your own bed and clean your own toilet.

As someone else said, the tour and cruise business is very seasonal. Some employees get contracts for cruises in warmer climates in the "off season." River boat crews? Probably not. And many/most of the most definitely do not automatically move to ski resorts in the winter. They have to make what they can during the season in order to survive and support themselves in the off seasons.

Don't begrudge someone a decent living who works long hard hours for you so you can live your dream. Tipping, for good or bad, is the way things work in most of the world. Accept it or stay home. Please tip at least the minimum suggested. You're paying $10k or so for your cruise. If you can't afford the a few extra bucks a day, skip a drink or two or stay home.

Have a great trip. Stepping off my soap box now.

Blessings!

Tipping is, for better or worse, the way staff and crew gets compensated. Whether any poster agrees with this compensation method, whether one thinks crew should be paid a decent wage by the cruise line, tipping is the way on most lines.

I wouldn't spend time on arithmetic trying to figure out how much anyone makes. Not everyone on the ship is tipped, and for those who are tipped there may well be differentials based on position. Save the arithmetic for determining how much to put in the envelope.

Enjoy your cruise.

I just picked up my euros from my bank today, and didn't order too much extra to cover tipping as the Viking web site said it could be added to our bill.

DH didn't want to be travelling with more cash than we need to.

First time on a river cruise for us. Do most people put the entire gratuity in an envelope at the end, or is it customary to put the suggested amount on our bill and just give a bit extra to anyone who provided extra service such as our cabin steward, a special waiter etc.? this is how we have done it in the past on our ocean cruises.

Thanks, Robin

Keep in mind the CD also works 14 + hrs a day so when you break it down it is not really a lot

How much do you make an hr ???

Would you work 14 hrs a day no regular weekends off

ALL the crew on the boat share in the tips from the kitchen workers to the captain

I do not know why people are always obsessed with the amount the crew make if you do not want to tip according to the guidelines then don't

Even on Scenic the Gratuities were included in the price of the cruise ...but the last night the push was on to donate extra

Edited by LHT28

Even on Scenic the Gratuities were included in the price of the cruise ...but the last night the push was on to donate extra

Have sailed with Scenic twice - and never have been "pushed" to give extra.

This topic continues to be the Phoenix of river cruising.... rising from the ashes even after you thought it was "done".

We have happily paid at *least* the minimum suggested amount on all of our cruises to date (only 2 or 7 have had gratuities included) and have always felt that the crew (and the CD) was worth every penny.

Fran

Have sailed with Scenic twice - and never have been "pushed" to give extra.

This topic continues to be the Phoenix of river cruising.... rising from the ashes even after you thought it was "done".

We have happily paid at *least* the minimum suggested amount on all of our cruises to date (only 2 or 7 have had gratuities included) and have always felt that the crew (and the CD) was worth every penny.

Fran

Fran the last night & in the morning we were reminded several times that we could leave extra for the crew in the box by reception

it was a large clear box and by the looks of it many people contributed ;)

I just picked up my euros from my bank today, and didn't order too much extra to cover tipping as the Viking web site said it could be added to our bill.

First time on a river cruise for us. Do most people put the entire gratuity in an envelope at the end, or is it customary to put the suggested amount on our bill and just give a bit extra to anyone who provided extra service such as our cabin steward, a special waiter etc.? this is how we have done it in the past on our ocean cruises.

Thanks, Robin

I have only river cruised with GCT. There one can add crew tips to the ship account and charge them. Program Directors are tipped in cash.

You can withdraw Euros from a "bancomat" in Europe if you need more cash. I'm curious, did you get a good exchange rate from your local bank?

Hi LHT28 which Scenic boat and cruise where you on? We have been told by Scenic themselves and by crew members, CD's Hotel managers and Captains that it a complete no! no! Now I do know that the odd tip was slipped to staff very carefully and we even tried it with our butler once but it was very politely declined. If anyone is interested there are some YouTube clips about river cruise staff training and recruitment which will give some in site. Actually observing the staff and crew at work, relaxing or when they think they are not on view I have yet to see a glum look or even a raised eyebrow, well maybe one girl last year who nearly completely lost it with one of her co-workers behind the bar, we didn't know who to feel most sorry for her or him. I am in full approval of tips being included in the cost, apart from anything else it saves the original theme of this thread. Happy cruising.

We were with Avalon in 2012 and will be again in June this year, all tipping is included in our cruise price, Australians arent used to tipping, so it works for us.

At the end of our cruise there was no pressure what so ever to pay any extra, we had 2 pre paid coupons , one for the CD and the other for the crew, to put in the tips box. There wasnt even any check on who paid or not..for everyone who didnt prepay then they had an envelope left in their cabin on the 2nd last night and it was up to them what amount they paid, our CD did remind all prepaid tippers to put the coupons in though.

We did give the young fellow that looked after us and our cabin extra when we were leaving, also to our lovely waitress in the bar, she was so good.

I'm happy to have everything paid before I leave home, just one less thing to worry about and less local currency I need to budget for :)

Fran the last night & in the morning we were reminded several times that we could leave extra for the crew in the box by reception

it was a large clear box and by the looks of it many people contributed ;)

The larege clear box was for the comment forms and yes we were reminded to fill them in but at no time was the word "tip" or "gratuity" mentioned.

Hi LHT28 which Scenic boat and cruise where you on? We have been told by Scenic themselves and by crew members, CD's Hotel managers and Captains that it a complete no! no!

We were on the Sapphire in 2012 Amsterdam to Budapest

It was not just slipping tips to someone

The CD announced the night before disembarkation that a box would be at reception should anyone wish to add a little extra to the crew

It was announced again in the morning while people were waiting for the transfers

Since the cost of Scenic was more than some other lines at the time & gratuities included I felt this was a bit OTT

We had mostly Australians & New Zealanders on the ship a few British, Canadians & 2 American ladies

So to say Australians do not tip the box was fairly full ;)

The larege clear box was for the comment forms and yes we were reminded to fill them in but at no time was the word "tip" or "gratuity" mentioned.

Lucky you

They had staff collect the forms as we passed the desk & the box was used for other means :rolleyes:

Just because it did not happen to you does not mean it did not happen

Thanks, Robin

Robin,

Viking will provide envelopes for cash gratuities, but you are also able to charge them to your onboard acct. This is what we did just last week. Have a great cruise!

Becki

I think we will leave the suggested amount in the generic envelopes. If we feel that our cabin steward or dining room waitress has given service above and beyond (which they virtually always do), I think it's more appropriate to give an a little extra while you thank them in person.

Someone above posted that tips with Avalon are included. This is not actually the case. You have the option to prepay the tips but they are not automatically included. Works out the same if you choose to go that way but I didn't want anyone to be confused on Avalon's policy.