Just Curious- Whats the most number of ships in port you have seen??

rene194215

I've never paid attention to how many ships are at any given place....they only allow what they can handle...and not everyone is doing the same thing! It's really a non-issue!

Thinking back, I think there were 4 docks with us the last time in St. Thomas. But, there are 2 port areas...so I don't know how many were at the other!

I've seen seven ships at Phillipsburg, St. Maarten - probably 24,000 passengers total. It was a zoo - we had made the mistake of going into town from Dawn Beach where we stay in January. Now we always check the schedule, and usually find a day or two each week with only one or two ships in - or else we don't come to town until 5:30 or so when most are back on board or have already sailed.

There will be 6 in port when we're in Cozumel in December, for over 22,000 passengers! :eek:

Allure of the Seas

Carnival Dream

Carnival Magic

Norwegian Sun

Navigator of the Seas

Norwegian Epic

Some big ships! If there are 12 in port, they must be smaller. 22,000 is the highest port load I can find in Cozumel.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Mexico/155-Cozumel/December_2014

Edit to add - I was wrong, I found two days in January with 24,000!

Edited by gi_pam

There will be 6 in port when we're in Cozumel in December, for over 22,000 passengers! :eek:

Allure of the Seas

Carnival Dream

Carnival Magic

Norwegian Sun

Navigator of the Seas

Norwegian Epic

Some big ships! If there are 12 in port, they must be smaller. 22,000 is the highest port load I can find in Cozumel.

24000!! WOW. I think that would be a day to stay on board. I guess I have been lucky in that I have only been in port with a few ships.

The Dec 22000 I saw! I was looking up Cozumel for Oct and when I am there, 3 ships will be docked and almost 9000 people. Ughhhh

I grew up in Juneau. There were days that the cruise ship passengers outnumbered the locals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The entire population of Dutch St. Maarten is about 40,000 - with perhaps 10,00 living in Phillipsburg. When 24,000 cruise passengers come ashore, that end of the island almost tips down into the sea.

Although not a port stop, here are 8 ships in Miami on the same day.

PortofMiami2007-2.jpg

The record at Port Everglades was nine ships on March 20, 2010, with 53,000 passengers passing through the port that day. In the photo below are: Carnival Miracle, Costa Atlantica, Crown Princess, Discovery Sun, Eurodam, Independence of the Seas, MSC Poesia, Ruby Princess, and Oasis of the Seas

nf00322a.jpg

Edited by boogs

14! This happened about 3 or 4 years ago when we were taking a transatlantic repositioning cruise out of Barcelona. The number of cruise ships far exceeded the number of cruise ship berths and the port had to locate ships at several commercial piers. I would also think that Civitavecchia gets over 10 ships on several days a year, although some of these cruise ships would not be well known on the US/Canada side of the "pond" since they also get a lot of ships from the German and Spanish cruise markets.

Hank

One tangential consideration in booking a cruise, particularly one out of Fort Lauderdale, is finding out how many ships will be disembarking the same day as a cruise you might consider. FLL gets easily inundated - and on heavy days, a couple of extra hours should be built into you plans to return home.

Over my side of the pond, last September, Venice had 7 ships in port and I believe 4 of them were dis-embarking (including myself) St. Mark's square was not a friendly place to be that day! Fortunately we had a few more days in Venice to enjoy the sights, which is now my favourite place on earth.

How do you know in advance how many ships are scheduled to be in a specific port each day?

Cruisecal.com or cruisett.com will show you. Some even show you the potential passenger numbers. Can be very helpful in planning your port days.

In tiny Skagway, Alaska: 4 major cruise ships (2 Royal Caribbean, 1 Princess, 1 Silversea), the Columbia (Alaska Ferry) and a smaller local cruise boat. I guessed at least 10,000 passengers total. :eek:

I've been to Skagway with 4 ships in. Really makes an impact when the total residents are only about 1000.

Allure of the Seas

Carnival Dream

Carnival Magic

Norwegian Sun

Navigator of the Seas

Norwegian Epic

December, 2012, we were in Cozumel with 7 ships, including Allure of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Carnival Magic, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Star, Norwegian Dawn and one more Carnival ship. That was a 24,000+ day and it was a madhouse downtown.

Many years ago, 9 in St Thomas. I think someone in one of the shops said the record for a same day # of ships was 12. This was a while ago, when one of the ships was a very small "Eporitki" Line ship that only carried around 250 passengers and long before any one ship discharged over 3K people. I don't know if anyone keeps stats, but I think what would be more interesting is: "Total number of cruise ship passengers disembarked in a port on any given day."

Edited by marco