Staterooms on the 1st Deck and also the Rear of the Ship

Valley Girl of VA

We are looking at a Danube River Cruise and realize we could save about $800 dollars if we booked on the First Deck. I know that the rooms have a small window above the water line and although I would prefer a French Balcony room, for the difference in money, I'm willing to compromise. Have any of you stayed on the First Deck? What is the noise situation. I'm not a light sleeper nor am I a heavy sleeper.

Secondly, another way to save a little money is to be on the rear on Deck 2 and 3 - how noisy is the rear of the ship.

If possible, I'd like real experiences. I KNOW that it will be noisier but for you was it too noisy?

Thanks,

Jane

and really felt closed in.But that s just me,thought engine noise and vibration bad.Must depend on ship,so maybe newer ones better?

I d do French balcony,on back of ship,rather than that one.Now you may get SOME engine noise,exhaust...but I ve never been as bothered by that.At least you get fresh air,light.

Others have said they re fine with first deck and window,,,but I d rather pay a little more and really have a great time,rather than just so so.

Now I go on ships with the full balcony,LOVE that perk but costs more I know.:)

I was on the Viking Odin in March in cabin 115. (with the high window). It was fine, you are only in there to sleep as you are really busy on a river cruise.

In November I was on the Viking Helvetia in a French Balcony room.

If a ship ties up next to you in a port they can see right into your cabin and you could walk over onto their ship.

When I went to China with Viking we were tired when we got to our cabin after the long flight. When I opened the cabin door the balcony window was open and there were two guys standing there yelling hi. I was tired and confused to see them there and thought they were in our cabin but then realized they were on their ship.....

Some on this board have coined the term "aquarium class" :) for the bottom deck.

Stayed on the bottom deck on two previous river cruises. No issues for me so far.

I haven't come across anyone on these boards complaining about vibration or noise due to deck location on one of the boats cruising on the Danube, Rhine, Rhone, etc.

You will hear noise and feel some vibration going through locks, but that is not a function of your deck but can be heard and felt all over the boat.

As others have stated, most river cruise passengers spend very little actual time in the cabin other than sleeping and getting ready for the day.

If your budget for this trip needs to be in aquarium class accommodations, no worries.

Tauck's new ship, Inspire, shows an elevator going to the bottom deck.

Yes, and Tauck's webpage on these new ships states:

"An elevator that stops on all decks (except sun deck)"

http://www.tauck.com/river-cruises/river-cruise-ships/river-cruise-boats.aspx

This is a major innovation in river cruising. They must have found a way to put the machinery next to the elevator shaft, where other ships have it at the bottom.

This makes their innovative Loft Cabins even more attractive.

I have cruised aquarium class and am doing it again. On Avalon the square footage is exactly the same. Also the windows were large enough. As a first timer please note that sometimes river cruise ships are tied together making you unable to look out window or balcony. The elevator is an issue only if you are unable to walk up one flight of stairs

Hi we have never had a problem with noise, but have always chosen mid-ships middle or top deck. I do know that on Scenic they provide ear plugs just in case you are a light sleeper, also they do not have lower deck or aquarium class cabins after mid-ships. We have never heard anyone complain about engine noise or fumes of any kind. There is always the possibility of some noise when working through a lock there is usually a very good technical reason for this but we have never experienced excessive noise, watch well during the first lock you go through it is an interesting experience, try asking to be in the wheelhouse when working through a lock. You will also notice that not all of the locks are identical. Whoops getting into obsessive mode here but then Rennie was the master.

I have been on a river cruise before, second deck, and most nights didn't even feel us going through the locks. I feel that what we would save would allow us to use that money on a pre and post cruise that we would do ourselves. I know that second and third deck is nicer as far as most times having a view but *800 to $1000 savings might be enough to convince me to go to the Aquarium Deck.

We are firm believers in Aquarium class.... We did book a French balcony on our 2nd cruise thinking that if the Aquarium class room was nice, the French balcony would be nicer. We didn't find it was worth the money for us.

The lowest deck usually has the least amount of passenger cabins as the aft rooms are for the crew. We are fine with the smaller window - and actually have found that we use the window sill quite often to dry any "smalls" when we do some hand washing.

They are often the same size as the other cabins. In fact, Aquarium class cabins on the Viking long ships are larger than some of their French balcony cabins. You have the same beds, and bedding, the same toiletries and same access to the excursions. Yes, you usually have to climb stairs - but you are closer to the front of the boat - so distance travelled to the dining room or main lounge is up instead of along the corridor.

Two more cruises booked (June 2014 & May 2015) - and are happy with the Aquarium class cabins we have booked..

Fran

Edited by franski

I have seen complaints on CC about engine noise from cabins at the rear of river ships. I don't think this is a lower deck problem, because on most ships the rear half of the lower deck is crew cabins. So the engine noise must transmit straight up. Don't know how many cabins at the rear would be affected. On AmaCello there are no cabins at the very rear of the ship - maybe this is why.

Va Girl,

We always try to do a pre cruise tour. It gives us a chance to recover from jet lag, but more importantly, it allows our luggage a chance to catch up with us!

We use Monograms, which is independent travel, but you get the hotel and breakfast, can choose to upgrade from the "included" hotel, and a city tour which is wonderful for orientation. There is a desk in your hotel that you can ask the tour rep about things to do, or sign up for optional tours. Out of Vienna, we went to Salzburg.

We took the Budapest, Vienna, Prague, then back to Budapest and got on the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. Excellent trip!

http://monograms.com/

Hi Valley Girl,

I had the exact same thoughts, and after reading many reviews and threads, decided to book the "aquarium class". Our TA actually said they are a bit larger (on Viking, at least) than the other cabins and the window area is useful, but they are always sold out first, so must be booked ahead. The savings will go toward 3 days in Amsterdam and we couldn't be happier. Personally, I plan to enjoy the sun deck and seeing the sights, not sitting in a small cabin on any deck. The final decision was made when I read that the other ships tie up like a flotilla and there is only 2 ft between the french balconies with the neighboring ship. Boo, not worth the extra cost for us.

other ships is rare and usually not for a long time.

I agree the price is different,but IF YOU CAN afford it,think the good outweighs the bad.

Have been on both and now won t go back.

We spend quite a lot of time in room,8 hrs.at nite,etc.plus thru day to rest.

Many talk about time on top deck,but that can be uncomfortable and sometimes hot(or rain).Also, can be closed for long periods for bridges,hi water,etc. If you have a bit of claustrophobia,balcony is a God send.:)

other ships is rare and usually not for a long time.

I agree the price is different,but IF YOU CAN afford it,think the good outweighs the bad.

Have been on both and now won t go back.

We spend quite a lot of time in room,8 hrs.at nite,etc.plus thru day to rest.

Many talk about time on top deck,but that can be uncomfortable and sometimes hot(or rain).Also, can be closed for long periods for bridges,hi water,etc. If you have a bit of claustrophobia,balcony is a God send.:)

On our recent Tulip time cruise we were docked right up against other boats at least half of the time. When we were not, we really enjoyed our outdoor balcony as the temps were mild. In winter we barely used it so for us, we would not pay the premium in cold weather.

On our recent Tulip time cruise we were docked right up against other boats at least half of the time. When we were not, we really enjoyed our outdoor balcony as the temps were mild. In winter we barely used it so for us, we would not pay the premium in cold weather.

and I have never gone when cold.

Odd about docking for such long time on that particular one, as I ve said .Been on 10 and only did so sporadically and for short time.

Have not been on Tulips tour,and now may rethink if I ever would do to that situation.:confused:

We'ver done both French balcony and aquarium class, and for an $800 savings, I'd gladly do the lower deck cabin. I spend nearly no waking hours in the cabin...

On a 2015 cruise I've booked the least expensive cabin on the entire ship and have no fears at all...

Upcoming: Hurtigruten Trollfjord in Nov. '14: Looking for the Northern Lights

GCT Christmas markets on the Rhine in Dec. '14

and I have never gone when cold.

Odd about docking for such long time on that particular one, as I ve said .Been on 10 and only did so sporadically and for short time.

Have not been on Tulips tour,and now may rethink if I ever would do to that situation.:confused:

Since the season is so short, it was very busy! Never saw so many boats on previous cruises as in many of the ports on this itinerary.

Edited by caviargal

Check out the specific itinerary and arrival and departure times from the cities you'll visit. Many river cruise ships do not travel during the night so engine noise/sleeping time may not be an issue. We've had a lower deck towards the rear cabin and it was fine......... (for us).

The river cruise OI was on before did cruise at night as well as go through some of the many locks on the Rhine. Since we are in the cities in the day time, night would be the only time. Which cruise did you take that cruised during the day?

The river cruise OI was on before did cruise at night as well as go through some of the many locks on the Rhine. Since we are in the cities in the day time, night would be the only time. Which cruise did you take that cruised during the day?

We have done 7 and most of them cruised overnight. Lots of locks on Rhine and Danube as well.

We avoid itineraries with a lot of day time cruising as we prefer being in the towns/cities.