Dining and drinks on board?

Hi everyone! I've got another few newbie questions for all of you seasoned cruise people. I spent a while searching for answers here on the forum and just by Googling things, but I wasn't quite able to find specific enough answers.

My g/f and I will be on the Allure of the Seas on the 6/8/14 eastern Caribbean sailing for my g/f's birthday. She's never been on a cruise, and the only cruise I've ever been on was Premier's Oceanic back in 1994 when I was 13.

Anyway, I was wondering if we are allowed to pack bottles of water in a suitcase (or if it's even worth it to do that). We both have non-rev travel benefits to get to Ft. Lauderdale, so checked baggage will be free for us. Given that, would anyone suggest that we do this, or can we snag any free water on the ship?

Additionally, I'm trying to figure out if we should try some of the specialty restaurants. However, before I make any reservations, I'd like to know what the day's menu will be for the MDR. That way, if the menu is a repeat or doesn't sound all that interesting, we can head to Chops or something instead.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Technically, no. You can't bring a bunch of bottles of water on board. But bottled water on board is not at all difficult to get - just ask!

In terms of MDR menu, usually part of the menu will be the same every day, and part of it will change every day. And unfortunately I don't even know if it's possible to get a hold of a menu ahead of time.

Realstically, there are so many dining and menu options I wouldn't even worry about it.

Hi everyone! I've got another few newbie questions for all of you seasoned cruise people. I spent a while searching for answers here on the forum and just by Googling things, but I wasn't quite able to find specific enough answers.

My g/f and I will be on the Allure of the Seas on the 6/8/14 eastern Caribbean sailing for my g/f's birthday. She's never been on a cruise, and the only cruise I've ever been on was Premier's Oceanic back in 1994 when I was 13.

Anyway, I was wondering if we are allowed to pack bottles of water in a suitcase (or if it's even worth it to do that). We both have non-rev travel benefits to get to Ft. Lauderdale, so checked baggage will be free for us. Given that, would anyone suggest that we do this, or can we snag any free water on the ship?

Additionally, I'm trying to figure out if we should try some of the specialty restaurants. However, before I make any reservations, I'd like to know what the day's menu will be for the MDR. That way, if the menu is a repeat or doesn't sound all that interesting, we can head to Chops or something instead.

If you follow the rules strictly, you are not allowed to bring any drinkable liquids on board (with the exception of medicine and a bottle of wine per person). HOWEVER, many people (myself included) have been allowed to bring a small amount (a case) of water or soda on board. Some simply put a luggage tag directly on the packaging, others put it in a suitcase.

We put a case of water and a 6 pack of Pepsi in a rolling duffel before our Oasis cruise last year. Yes, we had to go to the "naughty room" to open & collect our bag and drinks, but there was no issue. And we got to see the "naughty room". :D

Water in a cup is always free (unless it's sparkling water). You can also get free water from your stateroom, or if you bring your own bottle, from various locations (bathrooms, drinking fountains, etc).

I don't think they repeat any menus in the MDR (during a single sailing). As far as you having an interest in them... I don't know what to tell you. Keep watching for cruise reviews for Allure and see if they post the menus.

No you can't take water on board but it not to expensive to buy bottled water on board or they have iced water by the glass for free around the ship. They post the daily menu outside the restaurant each day. Or if you are in a suite it is delivered in the morning to your suite.You could check it at lunch time and decide if you want to go to a specialty restaurant. The only problem waiting to book for that night is they may already be booked out or you may not get the time you want.

...She's never been on a cruise, and the only cruise I've ever been on was Premier's Oceanic back in 1994 when I was 13....

OK well just so you know, the tap water onboard is delicious and perfectly safe to drink. We have never brought or purchased bottled water onboard. Iced water is available all around the ship for you. IF you go to a specialty restaurant, ask for house or tap water - they may try to bring/sell you bottled water (sparkling or still). Just a heads up. :)

On Caribbean cruises very few people have reported not being ale to bring water or pop on board with the exception of some March break sailings.

Here is a link to the 7 menus. They are not in order by day but I think if you search the threads someone has posted the order.

Menus definately do not repeat.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/

Tap water is fine....just needs ice! And guess what the ice is made from? Yep..ship's water! So is your food, and drinks! The ship's water is fine to drink. No need to lug water onboard with you. You can get a glass of ice water ANYWHERE! If you want, bring a refillable bottle to take ashore...but almost everyplace has bottled water available.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for all of the great info! I apologize for such a late reply. We've been in the middle of moving to a new address, and my g/f had a conference out in Hawaii last week that I tagged along on, so we didn't have much Internet access. What we'll probably end up doing is bringing a couple of large empty water bottles in our suitcases that we'll refill with water during the cruise, and then just pay by the drink for everything else. Neither of us think that we'll be able to consume enough drinks per day to cover the cost of any of the drink packages.

Does anyone happen to know if you have to pay gratuity on sodas even if you've already pre-paid the gratuities online prior to the cruise?

Does anyone happen to know if you have to pay gratuity on sodas even if you've already pre-paid the gratuities online prior to the cruise?

All drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, that you pay for have an automatic 15% gratuity added - you will clearly see it when you sign your tab. This is entirely separate from the regular prepaid gratuities, or if you do not prepay, it is in addition to the daily gratuities that are billed to your account.

Edited by PMcC1998

Thank you everyone for all of the great info! I apologize for such a late reply. We've been in the middle of moving to a new address, and my g/f had a conference out in Hawaii last week that I tagged along on, so we didn't have much Internet access. What we'll probably end up doing is bringing a couple of large empty water bottles in our suitcases that we'll refill with water during the cruise, and then just pay by the drink for everything else. Neither of us think that we'll be able to consume enough drinks per day to cover the cost of any of the drink packages.

Just as a note, it is a USPH sanitation regulation that a clean glass be used whenever dispensing ice or water from a drink dispenser. You should take a clean glass, fill it, and pour it into your water bottle, preferably without touching the glass to the bottle. There will be signs near the dispensers to remind you of this.

I'm not sure because I haven't done it myself yet, but I read on Cruise Critic that you can go to Guest Services and ask to see the menus for the entire cruise to help you decide when to book a specialty restaurant.

We plan to do this on our next cruise, so if anyone has tried it and not been successful, please let me know.

Happy Cruising!

Margy

I'm not sure because I haven't done it myself yet, but I read on Cruise Critic that you can go to Guest Services and ask to see the menus for the entire cruise to help you decide when to book a specialty restaurant.

We plan to do this on our next cruise, so if anyone has tried it and not been successful, please let me know.

Happy Cruising!

Margy

The menus are available at all of the specialty restaurants themselves. They are very accustomed to these questions.

:)

Is soda a free choice at meals? How much is one if you order it by the pool? Thanks

Soda is not free. Free drinks include non-bottled water (regular glass of water), some ships have flavored water, milk, chocolate milk, coffee, tea, lemonade/punch type of drink, orange/apple type juice (not fresh squeezed). These drinks are available at meals or in different locations depending on the ship.

I believe soda is around $2.50 a can plus 15% tip - just like ordering an alcoholic drink. There is a soda package for just soda, and also some of the drink packages include soda. This is for fountain soda. It is really a question of deciding how much you would drink to see what is worth it to you.

Technically, no. You can't bring a bunch of bottles of water on board. But bottled water on board is not at all difficult to get - just ask!

In terms of MDR menu, usually part of the menu will be the same every day, and part of it will change every day. And unfortunately I don't even know if it's possible to get a hold of a menu ahead of time.

Realstically, there are so many dining and menu options I wouldn't even worry about it.

While readily available, bottled water is NOT free anywhere. Tap water, however, is perfectly good, free and readily available. MDR menus can be viewed at any of the specialty venues.

Just as a note, it is a USPH sanitation regulation that a clean glass be used whenever dispensing ice or water from a drink dispenser. You should take a clean glass, fill it, and pour it into your water bottle, preferably without touching the glass to the bottle. There will be signs near the dispensers to remind you of this.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely remember to do that!