Princess Trivia

A1A

Platinum on Princess but still have not participated in Princess Trivia. I have read that this can be a highly competitive team game and correct answers are even challenged on occasion. Sounds like fun but really don't know how it works or how competitive it really is. Can someone tell me how Princess trivia works, how often trivia is played and how many constitute a team. I have never participated in Princess Trivia and want to know some of the things I may be missing!

Cheers!

Ken

Edited by A1A

Trivia is held 2 or 3 times a day. Usually, late morning (11:15am or so), late afternoon (4pm or so) and some evenings 9pm or so.

We usually participate in two daytime ones. Usually there are teams of up to 6 people. There are usually 20 questions. Papers are exchanged for grading. Occasionally there are people who take it more seriously than I would prefer. Most of the time the staff member will say that their answers are the correct one. Some will buckle when they get abuse about an answer

Trivia is really meant to be fun, and most times it is super fun! However, you occasionally run in to a super serious team who will argue to the bloody death for a magnetic chip clip or lanyard. Sometimes that is as entertaining as the game.

I did a live from in January 2013 on a South America cruise, and the biggest topic of my blog was a certain Trivia team that we knick named "the Smarty Pants". They were vicious if they did not win. It was pretty funny to watch them debate for trinkets.

Go and have fun. Hopefully, you will have a good time and win!:)

Most of the time the trivia contests are a lot of fun. :) Lots of passengers join in during the days at sea. On port days there may be just a few teams playing. Occasionally, you run into a team of "professionals" who will go to any ridiculous lengths to win those trinkets.

Hey Ken,

We've really gotten into the Trivia on our last couple of cruises & have had lots of fun with it. Usually we've just joined up with people who need some more team members & have been lucky that only once we were on a cut-throat team :rolleyes: Just remember, as the Asst CD kept saying on one cruise, "It's a writey-downy, not a shouty-outy" game. Have a good time with it! And hi to Carol :D

Can someone tell me how Princess trivia works, how often trivia is played and how many constitute a team. I have never participated in Princess Trivia and want to know some of the things I may be missing!

Cheers!

Ken

Others have explained it well.

Why not just show up at a trivia on your next cruise. If you wish, you can just observe and then decide if you want to go to others and participate.

As pointed out, teams can have up to six members (and can be as small as one person). There will be some teams that always have the same people on them, but there will always be teams looking for another person to join them.

Trivia is held 2 or 3 times a day. Usually, late morning (11:15am or so), late afternoon (4pm or so) and some evenings 9pm or so.

We usually participate in two daytime ones. Usually there are teams of up to 6 people. There are usually 20 questions. Papers are exchanged for grading. Occasionally there are people who take it more seriously than I would prefer. Most of the time the staff member will say that their answers are the correct one. Some will buckle when they get abuse about an answer

I agree 100% with all of this. Trivia is our favorite thing to do on the ship for an activity and we rarely miss one, even on port days (we go into port after the AM one and return in time for the PM one, if we are just going in for a few hours). We take it seriously but are not cutt-throat. If we have already won the prize on a previous cruise, we will give ours away to the second place team or other teams that we notice have not won, to spread the fun. Some of the questions are repeated on other cruises, so if you are a frequent Princess trivia player like us, you will have an advantage (if you remember the answers of course!). If a tie (often) there is a tie-breaker that usually asks you to come up with a number (for example, the person running it may ask to guess his age). Out of 20, the winning score is usually 15 or better. Some longer cruises they keep track of team scores and award a grand prize at the end for the highest cumulative score. It usually has an American bias, but there are perhaps 20% of the questions related to British or Australian or Canadian topics. I think the best team has a mix of old and young and different nationalities and professions, if you can find that mix. I find those under 25 or so do not do as well, simply because most of the pop culture type questions are not about real current music, stars, shows, etc. You certainly do learn quite a bit with each quiz! Have fun, meet interesting people, and win a trinket now and then!

Haha!! there is usually one "serious" group. I've seen people complain when the prize is a lanyard because they have "hundreds" of them. So give them away then.

Truly if you stress out about getting the prize you need serious help. I've seenj people running around trying to get people from different countries so they have a competitive edge. Come on guys! REALLY!!!

Go for the fun and at least you learn something new each time (well I do because I'm not that good). :D

Grab another couple and you have the added bonus of meeting new people AND 4 heads are better than 2.

The night time ones have a bottle of champagne as a prize. We actually won one (music trivia).:D Better than a lanyard anyday.

At least you get a prize. On Norwegian they give you a ticket (to be redeemed at the end of the cruise for an ordinary prize).

Edited by sayaguru

It is all for fun! As others have said, go try it. If you wish you can observe for the first time and just watch and see. The subject matter of the trivia is usually in the Patter. Most times trivia is just in an empty bar and anyone can join or just hang out.

Carnival gives out a 'genuine 24k gold plastic piece of ship on a stick'. An actual trophy. Though a chip clip is way more useful.

My trophies from my Carnival cruise last summer are sitting on my window sill.

Playing trivia is a great way to meet people. Most of the time, we'll stick with the same teammates throughout a cruise. But we'll also play with others if we know our teammates won't be there.

We usually give away our prizes to people we think will appreciate them. I don't need another luggage tag or passport holder. The one we always keep is the magnetic clip.

Just go with the intent to have fun and not necessarily to win. I've been on a number of B2Bs where the questions were the same, giving the B2Bers an advantage.

That's my biggest pet peeve about trivia. B2B'ers should recuse themselves. If the questions don't change, then it's just not fair for them to play. :mad:

'Course the way to fix that is to have the questions change every cruise... maybe begin to repeat them every 3rd or 4th cruise... :)

As has been said, there are different varieties in different venues. In some forms, 20 questions are asked and you grade each other's scoresheets. On our recent SA cruise, there was also a version featuring posters/actors/etc. on the screen in the Explorer's Lounge, and you would write down the answer and run it up to the MCs, with the first team to turn in the correct answer getting 3 points, and everyone else who was correct getting 1. This one was a bit absurd, with people tripping, bumping into each other, etc., but was fun.

On our very first Princess cruise this past March I was thrilled when we won our first game and got a bottle of champagne. I'm not a drinker, but I thought what a great gift for the rest of the team to share. Until they all drank it! :eek: We gave away a few bottles of champagne... ;)

On the Grand in April the first trivia was at 9.45 am!!! Never made that one.

A few years ago on the Diamond from Beijing to Singapore, we got tokens for each win (not just trivia) and could exchange them for prizes at the end. Much better system.

We do it for fun, quite often just the 2 of us, but its amazing how competitive some people are. Love it when they are proved wrong.

We do it for fun, quite often just the 2 of us, but its amazing how competitive some people are. Love it when they are proved wrong.

Yes, we do it for fun as well, but there are those that really are into winning and are so sure they're correct, sometimes not the case!

My wife and I used to play trivia as a team of two. We held our own, winning our share, but we've given up playing. We simply got tired of the ultra-competitive teams. I think the final straw was when one of the teams started belittling wrong answers on the quiz they were correcting. I just wasn't worth it (or fun) after that.

Playing trivia is a great way to meet people. Most of the time, we'll stick with the same teammates throughout a cruise. But we'll also play with others if we know our teammates won't be there.

We usually give away our prizes to people we think will appreciate them. I don't need another luggage tag or passport holder. The one we always keep is the magnetic clip.

The best spin-off in my opinion ;)

Have a go and enjoy.

My wife and I used to play trivia as a team of two. We held our own, winning our share, but we've given up playing. We simply got tired of the ultra-competitive teams. I think the final straw was when one of the teams started belittling wrong answers on the quiz they were correcting. I just wasn't worth it (or fun) after that.

We gave up as well after years of playing.

When these people play like they are in it for blood, it's no longer fun.

Mike:)